• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Wimbledon

Spaghetti Legs

Banned
Banned
Only early rounds but cant ever remember seeing Murray looking as supreme as this early on, he is looking like a master in his prime out there so far this tournament.

No-one will stop him in this form.

He is looking bloody impressive.

However his last major flaw is inconsistent killer instinct. He often goes to 5 sets when he could have killed the game in 3.

If he's finally got that ability consistently he'll be a real match for Nadal & Federer, those two being the only two who should even give him too much trouble.

I think Federer will be dispatched by Murray if he plays him in the final, it wouldn't surprise to see something similar to the Olympic final if they meet.

Nadal is the only one to really worry about even with his sketchy grass court form these last few years, the man is a beast plain and simple, still would give Murray a decent edge on the grass though, you have to really looking at previous grass court form and the way they are playing on it right now, Nadal is dropping sets already not that it will really mean much if they meet in the final.

Murray has it over Djokovic in slams lately, don't see any reasons why that won't continue in the semi (if the both get there), straight set wins for Murray the last 2 times they have met on grass, obviously can't take him or Dimitrov in the quarters lightly but if Murray keeps up this form he will be ok.

Murray has been taking the piss out of these opponents so far, today it looked like he was toying with matey in some of the points, its noticeable that the weight has gone from his shoulders, you can see it in his demeanor, hes walking that bit taller and just looks very confident.

Kukushkin giving Nadal a great few games so far.

Only 3-3 in the first set, but he's chasing every ball & giving as good as he gets.

Doubt it'll last like, Nadal is a fucking muscular metronome.

Nadal a set down again.
Ya just know he's going to win 3-1 though.
He's extremely vulnerable on grass at this stage of his career though.
Federer wins again this year imo.
He's basically focused his whole year around the grass court season.

It's definitely between Federer & Murray this year for me.

I'd like Murray to beat Federer in the Wimbledon final. I love fed but Murray has even more shots available to him & when he's physically right gets those impossible shots like Roger always has done. I think it'd be a massive mental barrier to break if Andy could beat him in those circumstances. Even at this age Federer can be simply unplayable at times though, & he fucking loves centre court at Wimbledon.

Nadal finding his form a bit now, helped by kukushkin struggling to maintain those high percentages & number of wins as the games go on. Predictable but not Nadal at his best by any stretch.

He's becoming very reliant on that baseline shot, he just hit a cross court shot that I always associated with him for the first time this match for example.

Rafa is asking for it a bit isn't he? surely he can't keep getting away with losing the first set every match, then again hes Rafa Nadal so he probably can.

I'd like Murray to beat Federer in the Wimbledon final. I love fed but Murray has even more shots available to him & when he's physically right gets those impossible shots like Roger always has done. I think it'd be a massive mental barrier to break if Andy could beat him in those circumstances. Even at this age Federer can be simply unplayable at times though, & he fucking loves centre court at Wimbledon.

Nadal finding his form a bit now, helped by kukushkin struggling to maintain those high percentages & number of wins as the games go on. Predictable but not Nadal at his best by any stretch.

He's becoming very reliant on that baseline shot, he just hit a cross court shot that I always associated with him for the first time this match for example.

Don't you think Murray has already broken down those mental barriers? he destroyed Federer in the Olympic final on centre court and that led to him winning 2 slams including the big one, obviously it would only be a good thing for Murray to beat Federer in a Wimbledon final but not sure if anything is that much of a big deal for him mentally nowadays apart from Nadal, beating him in a Wimbledon final or any slam final would be massive for Murray and could well act as another springboard for a couple more slams like that Olympic final did.

Thought he was going to lose that tie break, job done, he looked really good again in the first part of the match, only caught bits after that because of the football.

That last line is symptomatic of so much top-level tennis these days though. Years ago I used to look forward to Wimbledon in particular and follow it closely, but I've largely lost interest more recently as the different styles have disappeared and matches have basically been settled by whoever has the heavier artillery on the day.

Nadal has lost the first set again, this kid looks the buisness, never seen him before this tournament, he had an epic v Gasquet earlier on where he saved something stupid like 9 match points, gonna go knee jerk and say hes a future Wimbledon champion, it looks all there for him if he works hard, then again it did with Tomic.

That last line is symptomatic of so much top-level tennis these days though. Years ago I used to look forward to Wimbledon in particular and follow it closely, but I've largely lost interest more recently as the different styles have disappeared and matches have basically been settled by whoever has the heavier artillery on the day.

It's one of the reasons I like Murray so much, he has everything in his game, can play any shot ever seen (& often does) & I'd argue has the best tactical brain on the circuit.

He will use baseline play against big hitters, simply cos he has to play percentages against them, but when he mixes it up only a couple at the top can match him.

Your overall point is right though, there's loads of players in the top 20 who are exceptional, but still limited.

That under leg shot from Nick was amazing.

KyrgiosShot2watermarked.gif

Dmitrov wiping Murray here who has put in a petulant performance.
Missed forehands galore along with a stinking attitude is not the recipe for back to back Wimbledon titles.
Still think it's going to be Federers title this year.

Only caught half of the last set but wow, cannot believe that scoreline, didn't expect that one at all, knew Dimitrov was no mug but to do that to Murray on Centre Court? fair play to him, looks like a bit of a changing of the guard at Wimbledon at least, Djokovic is in trouble here as well.

Listening to the analysis is sounds like the old tentative defensive Murray from 5 years ago was playing today, hearing about his 2nd serve getting destroyed is no surprise, that's always been a big weakness there to exploit.

Sensational mixed doubles match on Wimbledon's No. 1 Court this afternoon - Liverpool's Neal Skupski and Stockport's (gorgeous) Naomi Broady triumphed in 3 sets, missing out on 11 match points in the final set before finally nailing it.

Neal Skupski, his older brother brother Ken and their policeman father, also Ken, are members at my tennis club, Palmerston.

Wow what a set of tennis that was.
The variation of shots was amazing.
Federer is serving brilliantly and those slice shots are causing Djokovic huge problems.
This could be an epic.

Djokovic is just a machine he lets nothing bother him.
Federer needs to break fairly early in this set to take it the distance I reckon.

Djokovic is just a freak when it comes to defending, unbelievable some of the balls he runs down.

He has choked a bit here though, twice a break up in this set and serving for the title and letting it slip, he does seem to have a bit of a mental issue atm, that's what losing 5 of the last 6 slam finals does i suppose, puts a few doubts in the mind.

Back
Top Bottom