• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Women’s World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally different level. It's like going from coaching a U15 team to managing Blackburn Rovers. It's not happening, unless you've played football at PL or EC level too.
She'll have to go the assistant route or go further down the league system, but how would the fans react and would the players respect her?
Also, why would she want to take such a massive pay cut to manage Dagenham Redbridge?

It is a different level but her record is so extraordinary that, if she did apply (she wouldn't if it meant a pay cut, would she?), I'd at least want to hear what she had to say. As for the level any candidate played at, Wiegman or whoever, that wouldn't worry me one way or the other - the history of football is littered with great players who bombed in management, and ordinary ones who didn't.

It is a different level but her record is so extraordinary that, if she did apply (she wouldn't if it meant a pay cut, would she?), I'd at least want to hear what she had to say. As for the level any candidate played at, Wiegman or whoever, that wouldn't worry me one way or the other - the history of football is littered with great players who bombed in management, and ordinary ones who didn't.
Well, whoever gives her a chance in the League will be making a ballsy move. Will not be pretty if she fails.

Wouldn't disagree. Only Wiegman herself and whichever chairman was contemplating it could really weigh the chances up with any degree of confidence.

Wouldn't disagree. Only Wiegman herself and whichever chairman was contemplating it could really weigh the chances up with any degree of confidence.
But it is unfair if Neville can go on to manage Inter Miami while Wiegman gets hired by Chelsea Women.

The thing is, everyone fails. You've got the odd statistical outlier but they're insignificant. As a rule, footy managers get sacked and leave with everyone thinking they could have done better.

I agree, I can see that. The problem is, others won't.
It's gonna be bad for everyone involved if it goes sideways.

Taking that kind of risk is how progress gets made though. Besides:

368001493_275801738532465_1919655344519047009_n.jpg

Some of the football is good, but a fair bit isn't. I occasionally catch re-runs of First Division (Premiership as was) football from the late 70s/early 80s on repeats of "The Big Match" on Freeview and this World Cup has been pretty much that standard, in other words decades behind the men's game of today on terms of quality.
Are you saying that these women are as good as George Best, Keegan and Dalglish etc?

I think it’s pointless to compare much like men and women’s tennis. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Are you saying that these women are as good as George Best, Keegan and Dalglish etc?

Those guys are hardly representative of the overall standard in their era, even at top level. What you quoted was a reference to the slower pace and general lack of polish of the men's game then as opposed to now, and the fact that the gap nowadays between the women's and the men's game is equally wide.

I think it’s pointless to compare much like men and women’s tennis. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Well, I watch men's football predominantly so I can't help having those standards in mind when I see a women's game and the standards of the latter are way lower, which is inevitably going to affect my enjoyment. I don't deliberately make a comparison, but I find doing so unavoidable.

Tennis is an interesting contrast in that I actually enjoy watching the women's game more. The men's game used to accommodate a greater range of playing styles but over the years has become a much more limited question of who has the heaviest artillery on the day.

Well, I watch men's football predominantly so I can't help having those standards in mind when I see a women's game and the standards of the latter are way lower, which is inevitably going to affect my enjoyment. I don't deliberately make a comparison, but I find doing so unavoidable.

Tennis is an interesting contrast in that I actually enjoy watching the women's game more. The men's game used to accommodate a greater range of playing styles but over the years has become a much more limited question of who has the heaviest artillery on the day.
I enjoy women’s test more too and really love women’s golf as their skill level with their longer clubs is insane.

I think bronze is a fantastic player, she loses it in midfield and leaves the gap at right back Spain score from

To be fair she lost it because the movement wasn’t right for the pass she needed to play

Spain will be deserved winners. England haven't found a way to hurt them all game, and can't keep the ball for any sustained period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom