• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Thanks.

Generally a pretty clean bill until now then besides a few squad players.
Yeah, esp. Grimaldo and Frimpong
Untitled2.jpg

Unbeaten run aside, their achievement this season vs. their history is nothing short of amazing

Untitled.jpg

Arthur…… that’s not the same Arthur is it?

Can someone help me earn that?

It’s curious that despite Alonso the player being one of the best long passers possibly in the history of the game, as a coach he really emphasizes short and simple passing. It looks really, really lovely, I love the way his team moves to create angles and make sure the player with the ball can always play a simple pass that is progressive at the same time.

But… what will happen when opponents find a way to counteract this? I’m all in for Xabi, but at some point the time will come when his Plan A has been figured out and I’d like to see him showing the ability to adjust. And in a perfect world a manager would get that experience of dealing with a set-back and overcoming it before getting a high-profile job like Liverpool.

It’s curious that despite Alonso the player being one of the best long passers possibly in the history of the game, as a coach he really emphasizes short passing. It looks really, really lovely, I love the way his team moves to create angles and make sure the player with the ball can always play a simple pass that is progressive at the same time.

But… what will happen when opponents find a way to counteract this? I’m all in for Xabi, but at some point the time will come when his Plan A has been figured out and I’d like to see him showing the ability to adjust.
Well, you would think they would find a way to counter this right ? - ask the other 16 teams in the PL who have tried to counter it against City. The difference is I think Alonso keeps the players very close to each other - well closer than City.

Also, I completely missed it during my travels - FC Bayern signed Eric Dier after all? Why??

It’s curious that despite Alonso the player being one of the best long passers possibly in the history of the game, as a coach he really emphasizes short and simple passing. It looks really, really lovely, I love the way his team moves to create angles and make sure the player with the ball can always play a simple pass that is progressive at the same time.

But… what will happen when opponents find a way to counteract this? I’m all in for Xabi, but at some point the time will come when his Plan A has been figured out and I’d like to see him showing the ability to adjust. And in a perfect world a manager would get that experience of dealing with a set-back and overcoming it before getting a high-profile job like Liverpool.
Doesn't that happen with every system eventually? Not worth worrying about. A top quality manager would just make tweaks to the system.

Xabi is the one. Nobody else even comes close.

Stop doubting bout the what ifs. We must go all out to get him.

Those guys are playing FIFA football over in Germany. It’s almost unreal.

Well, you would think they would find a way to counter this right ? - ask the other 16 teams in the PL who have tried to counter it against City. The difference is I think Alonso keeps the players very close to each other - well closer than City.

Guardiola tweaks his system constantly though, so it’s almost impossible to have it “figured out”.

The cunt can get a consistent song out of xhaka FFS. That alone should make him top tier in current management

If he wins the league there, he might come to us. Looks like he could be the best candidate, although I would have liked to see how he deals with having to set up a new way of playing if his approach is found out.

ten pages so far on this thread. Needs to hit about fifty before we announce he’s not coming to us.

Yep, there's a leap of faith needed. But after playing under Benitez, Pellegrinni, Mourinho, Ancelotti and Guardiola, plus John Toshak, too oddly enough, I'd hope he had the necessary theory and ideas to implement to evolve his game when needed. Typically the best managers can make plan A so successful it can overcome any basic tactical counters and the evolution can be done on their terms. I'd be hoping for that initially!

He has already developed a few styles though. He's clearly a very intelligent manager. If something starts getting counteracted he seems like exactly the sort of manager to take on new ideas.

I can't believe some (referring to my mates) actually think that Xabi would pick Madrid over Liverpool.
Sure the move might not be as glamorous as moving to Madrid, but I believe that he has a stronger connection to LFC than to any other club except Sociedad.
I'd argue that his most formative years were at LFC. Rafa helped him develop into an international star, which ultimately lead to Real coming after him. He would have probably stayed too if it wasn't for the rift Rafa caused between them.
Xabi won his first major trophy at LFC and it was a memorable one. He established himself in the Spanish national team and also won the EURO's. I think he was settled outside of the pitch too, having a small tight nit Spanish contingent around him like Reina, Riera, Torres, Garcia and Arbeloa. Even childhood mate Arteta was around.
I think the club has already approached him about the job and more will be revealed towards the end of the season.

Oh and regarding Arteta...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/1amjehg/skill_of_the_day_xabi_alonso_skins_mikel_arteta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I dont see that as problem in all honesty given the footballing mind Xabi has, and the tactical approach he has adopted and evolved the last 18 months.

He’s a great fit now and the timing is right.
If we go for someone else and want Xabi in 2-3 years time it might not be possible.

I dont really care about the «lack» of experience. Some just have that it feeling.
Xabi is the one.

That's when you unleash Trent --> Darwin. Right when the opposition least expects it.

Plan B is built in to our squad.

I can't believe some (referring to my mates) actually think that Xabi would pick Madrid over Liverpool.
Sure the move might not be as glamorous as moving to Madrid, but I believe that he has a stronger connection to LFC than to any other club except Sociedad.
I'd argue that his most formative years were at LFC. Rafa helped him develop into an international star, which ultimately lead to Real coming after him. He would have probably stayed too if it wasn't for the rift Rafa caused between them.
Xabi won his first major trophy at LFC and it was a memorable one. He established himself in the Spanish national team and also won the EURO's. I think he was settled outside of the pitch too, having a small tight nit Spanish contingent around him like Reina, Riera, Torres, Garcia and Arbeloa. Even childhood mate Arteta was around.
I think the club has already approached him about the job and more will be revealed towards the end of the season.

Oh and regarding Arteta...

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/1amjehg/skill_of_the_day_xabi_alonso_skins_mikel_arteta/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb3x&utm_name=mweb3xcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Don't know if he has a stronger connection or not. As fans we always like to believe the players love us and play for the club. But sometimes its just a job. Im not saying that's the case with alonso, but he's spanish so i would have thought managing the best club in spain would be more appealing than managing us.

Back
Top Bottom