• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Don't know if he has a stronger connection or not. As fans we always like to believe the players love us and play for the club. But sometimes its just a job. Im not saying that's the case with alonso, but he's spanish so i would have thought managing the best club in spain would be more appealing than managing us.
I'm not sure it's the case with Alonso.
Another thought I had about Xabi potentially managing us is that it would be great for Trent.
If he really wants to make the move to midfield, I can't think of a better teacher than Alonso.

Last edited:
Another thought I had about Xabi potentially managing us is that it would be great for Trent.
If he really wants to make the move to midfield, I can't think of a better teacher than Alonso.

Would it suit Trent to be central in a 3-4-2-1?
I’m not sure in all honesty.
Think he’d be better in the wide right role.

Would it suit Trent to be central in a 3-4-2-1?
I’m not sure in all honesty.
Think he’d be better in the wide right role.
Isn't it Frimpong their right winger?
If so Trent really doesn't have the pace to play in that position in Xabi's system.

Isn't it Frimpong their right winger?
If so Trent really doesn't have the pace to play in that position in Xabi's system.
Not trying to argue vs Frimpong but Trent is pretty swift. He outran everyone in our cavalry charge to get his shot on goal (which hit the bar)

Not trying to argue vs Frimpong but Trent is pretty swift. He outran everyone in our cavalry charge to get his shot on goal (which hit the bar)
I mean he's not Charlie Adam slow so I guess he can play in that position, but I doubt that Trent will be happy playing on the wing.

If we don't wrap this up soon then Xabi will be picked up by Bayern.

All around the press today.

Granit Xhaka explains the difference between Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta and Bayer Leverkusen manager Xabi Alonso

Amid his studies for a UEFA A license, Granit Xhaka told The PFA: "Mikel for example, he has his philosophy and that's it...

"Even to play always with a back four and never change to a back five for example, or never change like a 4-4-2 with two proper strikers. So you had this 4-3-3, with one six and two eights.

"Xabi is a little bit different. I think that Xabi can play a back four, but he can play as well a back five you know? What he wants is always two no.6s, not running everywhere or more of the time be in the position.

"But I think that if you are a coach you need your own philosophy, your own tactics, your own ideas. Of course you can always change one or two but you can't change so many things about it you know?"

View: https://twitter.com/MarkusFjortoft/status/1756641179867771346

Don't know if he has a stronger connection or not. As fans we always like to believe the players love us and play for the club. But sometimes its just a job. Im not saying that's the case with alonso, but he's spanish so i would have thought managing the best club in spain would be more appealing than managing us.
There're a couple of other potentials here too.

We could be the perfect stepping stone for Alonso, assuming he considers RM to be the peak of management (which may be likely considering his background).
Another couple of years for Ancelotti would seque nicely for him.

We may be a more attractive option because we would be likely to give him more time to implement his vision, and bring in the players he needs, than Real who aren't exactly renown for their patience.

If we don't wrap this up soon then Xabi will be picked up by Bayern.

All around the press today.
You are assuming that we haven't already and that all parties have agreed to keep it quiet until the end of the season.

And Bayern are likely the worst option he will have on his plate.

To say nothing of the German press being orchestrated by Bayern (sympathisers).

Last edited:
Especially considering they both run / ran at about the same pace!

BM could be a very attractive option. Unequal funding, and the best chance of gaining immediate domestic trophy success from those 3 options. Following on from Tuchel will be easy too- a character who looks likely to be chased from the door by board and fans alike. At Liverpool he'll have to follow someone revered - deified even, by Liverpool supporters. A tough act to follow, indeed. I agree that Real Madrid is a gig he shoudl probably know is risky at this stage.

BM could be a very attractive option. Unequal funding, and the best chance of gaining immediate domestic trophy success from those 3 options. Following on from Tuchel will be easy too- a character who looks likely to be chased from the door by board and fans alike. At Liverpool he'll have to follow someone revered - deified even, by Liverpool supporters. A tough act to follow, indeed. I agree that Real Madrid is a gig he shoudl probably know is risky at this stage.
By the end of the season he'll have won both the Bundesliga and the Pokal (German FAC) I can't see further domination in those competitions being of much interest. And the funding is only unequalled in Germany. Internationally even we are a match for BM funding-wise.

If he were German maybe the BM job would be the most attractive. Although I'm biased I think Liverpool would be a far more attractive proposition.

I dont think its any doubt for Xabi if offered both the BM job and the Liverpool one. It will be us all day long.

There're a couple of other potentials here too.

We could be the perfect stepping stone for Alonso, assuming he considers RM to be the peak of management (which may be likely considering his background).
Another couple of years for Ancelotti would seque nicely for him.

We may be a more attractive option because we would be likely to give him more time to implement his vision, and bring in the players he needs, than Real who aren't exactly renown for their patience.

I think this is a very real career trajectory and,frankly, a smarter one than going directly to either Real or Bayern. If you get to the top early and can't hang on, you're then trying to rebuild your career.

Make incremental steps, win confidence and experience, and have an end game. It wouldn't surprise me if Real were the end game but he has genuine fondness for our club and the city.

I think this is a very real career trajectory and,frankly, a smarter one than going directly to either Real or Bayern. If you get to the top early and can't hang on, you're then trying to rebuild your career.

Make incremental steps, win confidence and experience, and have an end game. It wouldn't surprise me if Real were the end game but he has genuine fondness for our club and the city.

Dont think we should view the job as Liverpool manager in any lesser value than Bayern or Real, imho.

Dont think we should view the job as Liverpool manager in any lesser value than Bayern or Real, imho.

Spoken like a Liverpool supporter. Obviously I wouldn't personally aspire to anything higher but I don't think that it's a universal view. Especially for a Spaniard who already left us for them once in his career.

Spoken like a Liverpool supporter. Obviously I wouldn't personally aspire to anything higher but I don't think that it's a universal view. Especially for a Spaniard who already left us for them once in his career.

He was interviewed about how he feels about BM, Real and Liverpool and said he felt closest to being a Liverpool supporter.
Dont forget that he is Basque, and might not feel the same affection for Madrid.

There were special circumstances then— with Benitez’s thinking Gareth Barry was a better player. I’d leave, too.

What we value the club as, and how the world of football (esp. if Latin) views it, are two completely different viewpoints.

Xabi is Basque though. What the rest of the Latin World thinks is irrelevant. If he has a choice between RM, BM and Liverpool - I think he takes the job at Anfield.

But its a moot point anyway given that Ancelotti will be contracted to at least 2026.

It’s curious that despite Alonso the player being one of the best long passers possibly in the history of the game, as a coach he really emphasizes short and simple passing. It looks really, really lovely, I love the way his team moves to create angles and make sure the player with the ball can always play a simple pass that is progressive at the same time.

But… what will happen when opponents find a way to counteract this? I’m all in for Xabi, but at some point the time will come when his Plan A has been figured out and I’d like to see him showing the ability to adjust. And in a perfect world a manager would get that experience of dealing with a set-back and overcoming it before getting a high-profile job like Liverpool.
Do you remember I moaned about the 4-3-3, and the highline? Probably not! Anyways, it would be @StevieM who would point out "why fix what's not broken"? When it is, then address it. When you look at the rosta of feasible managers he is the best candidate. My first choice was inzaghi, but Alonso's style has me mesmerised. I can't think of a better candidate, if we delay it, there is a good chance he goes somewhere else.

... and who has since said that he felt much more at home at Liverpool than he did at Madrid, to his own surprise.

View: https://youtu.be/DnYF0cFjf7E?si=J1Xm6iz4Vh0x0B77

I dunno man, there's something Pep and Mikel about Alonso.....and i'm not sure i like it. Is it a spanish cultural thingy or just that tiki taka philosophy they can't seem to shake off? Emery as well. Just very serious and dull individuals.

Give me Klopp any time of the day please.

Training for ppl like the greek scouser will be very serious and there will be very little laughter on the pitch i reckon.

Yeah I don't know if I can get used to having a "cool as a cucumber" manager again.

If he wins all the trophies and shows up that wee grey alien bastard in City (before they have all their championships rescinded), I think you'll get used to it just fine. Anyway, we'll tell him he's just to keep the seat warm for Klopp until he's had his fun on holiday and with the German national squad.

Back
Top Bottom