• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Xabi Alonso

Bluebell is so upset by a lack of transfer activity, he’s now desperate for us to start paying transfer fees for managers!!!

Should probably take up something less addictive and harmful… like crack.

Kieta cost how much and went for how much? Then remind me what we bought the following players for and what they went for... Balotelli, Lazar, Gini, Can, Lallana, Ox etc...
I just don't think the fee should be a deterrent. besides, what does this clause do if clubs have to pay compensation to get a manager. Lets say Barca came in who aren't one of the clubs, would their fee be higher?
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do we want to bring up all the players we made profit on to counter that (what's the point)? Or how much our team is worth right now if we sold each player off?
Again, my point was that players are sellable assets, management teams don't tend to be.
It's Keita, by the way.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Do we want to bring up all the players we made profit on to counter that (what's the point)? Or how much our team is worth right now if we sold each player off?
Again, my point was that players are sellable assets, management teams don't tend to be.
It's Keita, by the way.
My point is buying players is just as much of a gamble... and I don't think the fee of £21m should deter FSG from their persuit of what is a generational manager

The thing about managers, for me, is how "safe" an investment they are.
If you look at the teams that have regularly chopped and changed managers recently, they invariably lose a manager because they don't make the grade. Chelsea and Everton, for example, have paid out fortunes compensating managers they have sacked for failing to make the grade (Chelsea got a double whammy with Potter because they paid a fair packet to poach him as well). In fact, you could even argue those are the costs that tipped them over the edge on finances.
In the grand scheme, £21m for Xabi is a huge amount, because it'd surely be a record for a manager, but in terms of what that money would buy you in player terms, that's what you pay for a back-up these days.
So you have to decide:
1. Is this definitely our guy? As in, do we see him being here for the same kind of term as Klopp?
2. Does it really put that big a dent in our player spending budget?
For me, answer to point 2 is no, not an issue (assuming we can pay it in instalments like we would with a player).
Answer to 1 is less clear. Xabi might just be the next great manager, or he might just be having an incredible purple patch.
But I think it's worth punting a decent fee on him being the real deal. We've saved a fortune in recent years not having to pay off guys who weren't up to it, we can take a chance this time.

Someone’s reputation is going to be ruined for a short-term spike in attention. I just cannot believe Bayer are negotiating with Bayern in the middle of the title race, which Plettenberg is implying.

Someone’s reputation is going to be ruined for a short-term spike in attention. I just cannot believe Bayer are negotiating with Bayern in the middle of the title race, which Plettenberg is implying.

Its all mind games and trying to unsettle Bayer and Xabi in the title race imho. You can see who Plettenberg is working for given the one sided information.

Mrs Alonso. Would she like to raise her kids in Madrid, Munich or Liverpool?
The wealthy live in a different sphere, they'll be sheltered from the shittier parts of any city. Xabi loved Liverpool the city as does Rafa. Liverpool the city is what it is, is because of its people. I think just on sheer wit, there's no equal.

@bluebell - is Xabi coming or not ? what's going on ? - if not then we need to look at our number 2 target - which we all know should be that manager from Sporting Lisbon right ? (Ruben Amorim) - he might even be more suited to us than Xabi ball stuff.

Hunt has just relaxed some of the Taxing in the latest Budget so hopefully some of that would be to Alonso's liking but there was nothing related to any decrease upper tax band though.

Hunt has just relaxed some of the Taxing in the latest Budget so hopefully some of that would be to Alonso's liking but there was nothing related to any decrease upper tax band though.
Hunt's done the right thing then in a long line of Hunts.

@bluebell - is Xabi coming or not ? what's going on ? - if not then we need to look at our number 2 target - which we all know should be that manager from Sporting Lisbon right ? (Ruben Amorim) - he might even be more suited to us than Xabi ball stuff.
@moron Xabi is focused on winning titles and cups with BL... I am sure he will sit down with his family and agent and decide what the right course of action will be at the end of the season.
Agents are leeches, so they'll want their cut. So there is leverage there.
I don't know anything about Amorim but at 39 he feels too young! I think if its not Xabi then it has to be Inzaghi who has pedigree in winning titles and getting to finals.

That was always the problem wasn't it ? - he played for us - what nearly 15 years ago, and we have moved on quite a bit since then, but his experience at Bayern was not that long ago, and he knows the management group better than our current owners and people. Also, I don't know if he is one to think "I have unfinished business at Liverpool .. ?" - or is he one to think "Fuck that - it was bad luck for me the way I had to leave - don't want that again" - its hard to know what this guy wants and thinks - just for having such a bland look, he is a bit kinda empty when you compare him to Klopp's character.

That was always the problem wasn't it ? - he played for us - what nearly 15 years ago, and we have moved on quite a bit since then, but his experience at Bayern was not that long ago, and he knows the management group better than our current owners and people. Also, I don't know if he is one to think "I have unfinished business at Liverpool .. ?" - or is he one to think "Fuck that - it was bad luck for me the way I had to leave - don't want that again" - its hard to know what this guy wants and thinks - just for having such a bland look, he is a bit kinda empty when you compare him to Klopp's character.
I can tell you with great confidence he isn't thinking about anything relating to Football other than the next game.
At the end of the season, he will go on hols for two weeks or so with his family and after that we will know. Until then, enjoy what is proving to be one of the best seasons

Bayern is just as bad as Real Madrid and all that lot in Spain in “unsettling” rumours, isn’t it?

I just don't see why he'd want to tarnish the legacy he's built at Leverkusen.

He's liked now in 5 cities. Going to Munich you'd instantly be unwelcome in Leverkusen, and you've just won a first title for them.

I think it's between us and Leverkusen this summer. If he stays it's because he wants Madrid. I just don't see him going to Munich at all.

Bayern is just as bad as Real Madrid and all that lot in Spain in “unsettling” rumours, isn’t it?
Yeah it is - totally agree on that, you can't have a bad season at those clubs - you have to win major trophies regardless of the state of your squad because it's what is expected. The only team comparable to them in this country in terms of hire/fire managers is Chelsea. The problem with those clubs (especially Chelsea) - they have pretty much gone through all of the best from the previous glut of CL winning managers.

SN Germany reports Bayern have approached Alonso about replacing Tuchel ... you would be fucking buckets of shit at them if they were trying to poach your manager while sitting 10 points clear during the season. Bunch of cunts.
Other reports say “not.”

Back
Top Bottom