• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Poll €100,000,000

Prefix for Poll Threads

The Count Poll

• Yes

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • No

Votes: 29 46.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure. Your last post would suggest not.
I will try to be more concise. My two points are that many goalies have failed to deal with the style of play in the Premier League, and 100 million Euros is a shit load of money. So, although I would love to have the goalkeeper position sorted for years, I think the risk is too big.
Not that I have seen this fella play, that I know of.

Doesn't have to be a Brit, just someone who have shown their worth here.
For 100 mill I would like to avoid the risk of another foreign keeper not being able to deal with crosses and a crowded area.

In this market is it possible to get a goalkeeper for 20M or less ? also don't trust any club we goto to buy a player - everyone knows we got money and are quoting us crazy shit prizes for the sake of it. I think that Malcom link by his own manager is to just put the price up for him so Arsenal pay more. It's fucking mad.

No here

It's not that I care about spending the money, I just don't think there's a bottomless pit and I'd rather see a ridiculous sum like that go towards a player we'll enjoy watching

I am hoping for a have our cake and eat it situation by magically finding a good keeper for a reasonable price allowing a big spend elsewhere

In 3-5 years time we'll have to pay in the region of £80M for a Butland or a Pope level GK and goalies like Oblak and Alisson will be fetching £150M.

Its such a big risk in a really isolated and confidence affected position on the pitch

If he was pulling up trees in the premier league it'd feel a lot better but nobody can help you when you don't speak the lingo, you've just flapped one into the net and big Andy Carroll is on your case in front of 50,000 frustrated people.

I will try to be more concise. My two points are that many goalies have failed to deal with the style of play in the Premier League, and 100 million Euros is a shit load of money. So, although I would love to have the goalkeeper position sorted for years, I think the risk is too big.
Not that I have seen this fella play, that I know of.

Are you making an absolute definitive “no” statement based on information you haven’t got because you haven’t seen him play?

I'm not qualified to determine if Oblak is the one (he is). But if he's the guy doesn't matter what he costs - this is the time to go all in.

Fair. I could however list all our shit keepers coming from foreign leagues.

Then there's the question of blowing 100 mill on him.

Still a no from me.
While our record with premiership proven keepers, is exemplary - James, Kirkland, Ming .... can't think of any others, but that looks like a 0% hit rate (for Liverpool that is) to me

100 M Euros is much however you turn it around. You can fucking build your own Goalkeeperfarm, Mass produce them and sell them with profitt for that money.

And if we start go all in on every position cause now is the time, we will end up with only affording Marcovic's when we build the rest of the squad. Having some cash in our pocket doesn't mean we should stop being smart.

100 M Euros is much however you turn it around. You can fucking build your own Goalkeeperfarm, Mass produce them and sell them with profitt for that money.

And if we start go all in on every position cause now is the time, we will end up with only affording Marcovic's when we build the rest of the squad. Having some cash in our pocket doesn't mean we should stop being smart.

It's easier said than done. You can only play one keeper at a time.

It's easier said than done. You can only play one keeper at a time.

And they are a special case each and every one of them. Top goalies is valuable and should be carefully selected.

However, Oblak is not one of a kind. He didn't wake up one morning and was Superman. He has been given time to nuture and develop a great talent over time in good environment. There will be others, so then it is up to us to find the right prospect and mature it in our environment. Pepe was never that profile before he came but did a steady good job. De Gea did get time from his management were he probably would not have cut it here. 100 M is a huge gamble on one position were Noone can bail you out. The money spent doesn't guarantee the success.

It was watching this game that made me think, "imagine having a keeper like that in the team".

The echo has been pulling material from 6CMs again....

Liverpool must treat a new goalkeeper as if it was a striker - be aggressive and spend big

It's time for a big call, whatever the cost, argues Neil Jones

The battle lines have been drawn.
On Sunday, Jurgen Klopp gave the clearest indication yet that the race for the No.1 jersey at Liverpool has gone the way of Loris Karius.
And on Tuesday, Simon Mignolet gave a rather public hint that his future may lie away from Anfield.
Mignolet is not one for 'explosive' interviews, so when he tells Belgian media that “I must think of my own future” and that “this situation cannot take too long,” you know something has changed.
Within hours he'd been linked with a move away, with Napoli the first suitors suggested.

migbrighton.jpg

Simon Mignolet shows his appreciation to the fans at the end of the Premier League match between Brighton and Hove Albion and Liverpool at Amex Stadium (Image: (Photo by John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images))
Klopp's decision to start Karius against Manchester City was a significant one, the moment the balance of power shifted. The manager's comments told us that.
“Usually I could say it's a decision for today,” he told Sky. “But if Loris now is able to perform, he will stay in the goal."
The question, then, is what happens now. Karius was not without fault against City, but will almost certainly keep his place for the trip to Swansea on Monday evening.
For him, the challenge is clear; perform. Cut out the mistakes, and he renders the debate meaningless. Continue with the shaky performances we have seen from him so far, and the discussion will go on.

GettyImages-904843928.jpg

Manchester City's Leroy Sane scores past Loris Karius (Image: OLI SCARFF/AFP/Getty Images)
Mignolet, meanwhile, must wait and hope. A flawless professional, a conscientious trainer and a solid, decent character, the 30-year-old knows that these are crucial times. He's responded well to adversity in the past, but this feels different. This feels like it could be the beginning of the end.
Klopp, it is abundantly clear, doesn't trust Mignolet to be his long-term No.1. Karius will get the chance to show he can be, but he is yet to convince. Plenty would rather the Belgian than the German, at this stage.
And so this summer becomes critical. Liverpool need to sign a goalkeeper, and they need to sign a top class one.

GettyImages-687673714.jpg

Liverpool goalkeepers Loris Karius and Simon Mignolet (Image: John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
Klopp's preference, we know, is for breathless attacking football, but the capture of Virgil van Dijk shows there is an acceptance that the back door needs locking too. Liverpool should be similarly aggressive in their recruitment of a new 'keeper; pick the one you want and go and get him.
It's not an easy task. Genuine top-class goalkeepers are not freely available, generally, and those with the potential to be top class don't come cheap.
But if Liverpool are serious about building a winning team – and they're closer than many think to having that – then a big call must be made, whatever the cost. Treat the new 'keeper as you would a new centre forward or No.10; spend big and go for the best.
GettyImages-850892736.jpg

Goalkeeper Jan Oblak of Atletico de Madrid looks on during the La Liga match between Club Atletico Madrid and Malaga CF at Estadio Wanda Metropolitano on September 16, 2017 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Gonzalo Arroyo Moreno/Getty Images)
Whether that's Alisson of Roma, the brilliant Jan Oblak of Atletico Madrid or someone else – Gigio Donnarumma of Milan, for example – Liverpool should be ready to go for the jugular, the transfer market equivalent of gegenpressing, you could say.
The difference between a decent shot-stopper and an excellent one is significant – David De Gea is more important to Manchester United than Romelu Lukaku, for example. Liverpool have made do for long enough.
Under Klopp, as they are, the Reds are close enough to smell silverware; a new, top quality No.1 could get them touching it.

Are you making an absolute definitive “no” statement based on information you haven’t got because you haven’t seen him play?

Haha. Nice one.
Yeah, doesn't make much sense when you put it like that, does it?
It is just that the information I would want before making such a big decision won't be available until we have seen him play for a period of time en the Premier League.

The performance of keepers is clearly highly dependent on good defensive set up in front of them and cooperation with it. So there is also the factor of needing a good unit, meaning having a 100 mill Rolls Royce in goal not necessarily solving the problem alone.
That aside, I would be more open to spending that kind of amount on a top keeper already established and successful in the league-
Sadly I don't think Courtois, De Gea or Lloris would be obtainable.

While our record with premiership proven keepers, is exemplary - James, Kirkland, Ming .... can't think of any others, but that looks like a 0% hit rate (for Liverpool that is) to me

True that. Reina aside, we have been exceptionally poor with keepers for quite a while, no matter where from.
(This begs the question about the importance of the defensive unit as a whole as we were quite solid during Rafa, even if there would be positive effects both ways between a top keeper and a solid defense, reinforcing each other.)

I guess I have talked myself into a corner when I say Lloris, De Gea and Courtois are the best keepers...but aren't there plenty of examples of well-reputed keepers from foreign leagues not making it?

It seems like this thread is full of people who want this signing to happen, fair enough.

Is being not being accustomed to the style of play not considered a significant risk factor anymore for such massive investment?
Has the league changed so much that this is not relevant?

Grabara is more talented imo

Grabara does look like a potential top keeper, he just has a certain calmness about him that other young GK don’t. Physically he also looks the part. If the club really believes in his potential, the smart thing would be to go for a classy veteran GK like Kaylor Navas to act as a “bridge” and a mentor.

Grabara does look like a potential top keeper, he just has a certain calmness about him that other young GK don’t. Physically he also looks the part. If the club really believes in his potential, the smart thing would be to go for a classy veteran GK like Kaylor Navas to act as a “bridge” and a mentor.
Or just pull a Milan and play him.

And they are a special case each and every one of them. Top goalies is valuable and should be carefully selected.

However, Oblak is not one of a kind. He didn't wake up one morning and was Superman. He has been given time to nuture and develop a great talent over time in good environment. There will be others, so then it is up to us to find the right prospect and mature it in our environment. Pepe was never that profile before he came but did a steady good job. De Gea did get time from his management were he probably would not have cut it here. 100 M is a huge gamble on one position were Noone can bail you out. The money spent doesn't guarantee the success.

talking about pepe.
i think andre onana, Ajax keeper, has all the attributes to be a very good sweeper keeper.
some people think he can be as good as neuer.
still young, 21 years old cameroonian keeper.
la masia graduate.
transfermarkt valued him at 8m euro only.
playing experience in an attacking team that is shit at defending. just like us.
cameroon is not in the world cup, so he can come early.

an assist at 1:35

talking about pepe.
i think andre onana, Ajax keeper, has all the attributes to be a very good sweeper keeper.
la masia graduate.
playing experience in an attacking team that is shit at defending. just like us.

Would definitely help our tilt at Afcon next January

talking about pepe.
la masia graduate.

Looks very interesting. And yes, as Oncy said we will dominate the shit out of AFCon in every position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom