• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

2014/15: Young Guns, Reserves and Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamstrung_pigeon

Well-Known
Decided to start a new one for this season since I can't be arsed to dig up the old thread and add to that one. If the latter's preferable, can a mod please merge this to it?

Looks like Teixeira was injured for the US trip, which explains why he didn't play a single minute. He's just returned to fitness, played in a 0 - 0 draw for the U-21s against Denmark U-20s:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168482-joao-returns-in-denmark-draw

[article]Joao Carlos Teixeira made a welcome return to action as Liverpool U21s drew 0-0 away to Denmark U20s in a pre-season friendly encounter on Thursday night.

The Portugal youth international returned from injury as he played his first 45 minutes since featuring for the first team in Brondby.

The likes of Jordan Rossiter and Harry Wilson were on duty for the Reds with the Welshman going close to a late winner when he hit the post.

Liverpool U21s team: Lawrence Vigouroux, Ryan McLaughlin, Kevin Stewart, Jordan Williams, Lloyd Jones, Jordan Rossiter, Harry Wilson (Jordan Lussey 45), Joao Carlos Teixeira (Sergi Canos 45), Sheyi Ojo, Cameron Brannagan (Marc Pelosi 75), Krisztian Adorjan (Jerome Sinclair 45).[/article]

Brad Smith loan to Swindon Town confirmed. Mentioned this in the Transfer Rumours thread yesterday. Swindon finished 6th and 8th in League One in the last two seasons; good to see our loanees not going to relegation-threatened teams that are struggling and which may not be willing to rely that much on youth to dig them out of a hole.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168467-reds-confirm-smith-loan

[article]Liverpool have confirmed that Brad Smith has joined League One side Swindon Town on a youth loan.
The 20-year-old made his first team debut last season when he appeared as a substitute in the 2-1 defeat by Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on December 29, 2013.

The Australian born left-back is an England youth international and he was called up to the U21 squad for the Three Lions at the end of last season.

Smith will team up with his former Academy teammate, goalkeeper Tyrell Belford at the County Ground.[/article]

U18s warming up for the season:

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/168483-marsh-at-the-double-in-marine-win

[article]Marsh at the double in Marine win

Will Marsh scored twice as Liverpool U18s beat Marine 3-1 at the Arriva Stadium on Thursday night.

Neil Critchley's side produced a fine display and Daniel Trickett-Smith was also on the mark.

"It was a really good game and the lads played some good football," Critchley told Liverpoolfc.com.

"These type of games are really good for the players and a lot of them managed to get 90 minutes under their belt which is important."

Liverpool U18s team: Ben Jackson, Connor Randall, Joe Maguire, Dan Cleary, Tom Brewitt (Kristof Polgar), Matthew Virtue, Alex O'Hanlon, Ovie Ejaria (Corey Whelan), Will Marsh, Daniel Trickett-Smith, Sam Hart (Dharius Waldron)[/article]

Loved the predecessor to this thread.

We could see a number of youths appearing for the first team this season, i.e. Rossiter, Wilson, McLaughlin, Brannagan. This is apart from the usual suspects.

Is anything going to happen for Teixeira this season?

At this point in time it looks like he's not going to make it.

Near the end of last season, he looked like he was getting a look-in from Rodgers. Since joining from Sporting Lisbon, he's had injury issues, and it looks like that has cost him again for the US Tour. Now that he's playing again, I'm hoping we'll see him play against Dortmund. With our midfield options, and with Suso back (and if not loaned out again), maybe it'll be his turn to get a season's loan out. Hopefully we'll do a better job this time of arranging a full season's loan for him (previous stint to Brentford was a disaster), after we've got him to sign a new contract, that is.

Maybe a stint in the La Liga like what we did for Suso last season and for Alberto this season isn't a bad thing. If it doesn't work out for him with us in the end, at least the exposure there will be good for both him and the club. I like him though, and I think we should keep him on our books and monitor his progress.

"
Liverpool today announced that Alex Inglethorpe has been named in a new role as Academy director.

The highly-respected coach arrived from Barclays Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur in November 2012 and was in charge of the U21 team until the end of the 2013-14 season.
Inglethorpe will be responsible for developing an environment where players and coaching staff thrive, in addition to ensuring that the Academy continues to produce outstanding talents with the right mental and professional attitude.
His remit will include the education of a style of play that encourages the Academy sides to mirror the first-team philosophy in all aspects of technical and tactical coaching.
Liverpool's chief executive officer, Ian Ayre, commented: "Liverpool's Academy is known around the world for developing some of the best football talent over the last two decades.
"This new structure will help us build on the success we have achieved so far.
"Not only will we continue to produce outstanding players who uphold the club's values, we will ensure they have the best environment and work with best-in-class coaches and support staff."
Elsewhere, coach Michael Beale, who worked alongside Inglethorpe last season, will take charge of the U21 team for the 2014-15 campaign.
After spending 10 years at Chelsea, working full-time as a youth development officer and U14 coach, Beale joined the Reds' Academy in September 2012 as youth development lead coach for the U15 and U16 age groups. He also managed the U16 side.
New arrivals at Kirkby this summer include Nick Marshall, who joins the club as head of Academy football operations.
Marshall will work closely with the staff to ensure they have the necessary support to deliver world-class coaching. He will also be responsible for implementing the Elite Player Performance Plan as well as working closely with the player recruitment team.
He brings extensive experience as a UEFA Pro licensed coach, and having previously worked for Barnsley, Leeds United, Nottingham Forest and the Football Association.
Andrew Powlesland will be the new head of Academy business, ensuring that the Academy is running effectively from an operational perspective.
Responsible for the youth facilities and operations, his role involves co-ordinating support services such as welfare, education, human resources and administration. With an impressive background in sport operations, he joins the club from London South Bank University.
Finally, Pepijn Lijnders has been appointed as the new coach for the U16s, switching to Liverpool from FC Porto, having previously worked at PSV Eindhoven, while former Academy striker Michael Yates returns as coach of the U6-U9 teams."

@gkmacca what you think , is he up to the job ?

I guess so. I really rate him as a coach, so it seems a shame he'll be less involved with that aspect, but he has a very good eye for talent, and how best to develop it (alongside a Steve Heighway-style appreciation of the need to nurture the players as people, too), so in terms of top-down insights and advice he should do a decent job.

It's hard to see him making it from here. We've got heaps of players around his age or younger and several more coming through. He needs a brilliant loan spell as a minimum.

In general, the thing I'm most excited about this season is seeing how the more prodigious ones who've just moved up an age group. Wilson, Ojo and Canos for the u21s, and Kane and Dhanda for the u18s.

Liverpool U21s team: Lawrence Vigouroux, Ryan McLaughlin, Kevin Stewart, Jordan Williams, Lloyd Jones, Jordan Rossiter, Harry Wilson (Jordan Lussey 45), Joao Carlos Teixeira (Sergi Canos 45), Sheyi Ojo, Cameron Brannagan (Marc Pelosi 75), Krisztian Adorjan (Jerome Sinclair 45).[/article]

My knowledge of our youngsters, via these youth threads and clips on 6CM, is increasing dramatically. I actually know (have read about/seen clips of) of all of that team bar Vigouroux !

this Pepijn Lijnders seems a quite interesting appointment . Did he have a bigger role at porto ? Wonder if he'll move up here also .

long write up on his philosophy here .

http://bentocorner.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/pepijn-lijnders-further-implements-his.html

I think it was U9s to U13s. Interesting that he's coming in as a U-16 coach instead, because he seems to be very focused on educating technique, and also stated himself that technique coaching is best done early, for example, in the U-12s.

You might be interested in this document, from his time at PSV:
-- http://soccercoachinginternational.com/pdf/Sample Youth Technique Article.pdf

After reading that, some of the clips in youtube now seems to make a bit more sense, in terms of what was going on (since I can't read Portuguese):

He doesn't have much luck with injuries....

Sam Morshead ‏@SamMorshead_SA 9m
Brad Smith has grade one medial ligament strain. Back at Liverpool for assessment. Out for several weeks #stfc

He doesn't have much luck with injuries....

Sam Morshead ‏@SamMorshead_SA 9m
Brad Smith has grade one medial ligament strain. Back at Liverpool for assessment. Out for several weeks #stfc

He's missed whatever chance he had at LFC now that Moreno has come in.

I'm not sure he ever had the technical ability to play at the highest level tbh.

On a tangent, it annoys me when players go out on loan and play the wrong position. Both he and McLaughlin have gone and played as wingers. How does that help us? Neither of them have the remotest chance of being Liverpool class attacking players.

@JamesPearceEcho: #LFC youngster Joao Carlos Teixeira is off to Brighton on loan to link up with Sami Hyypia's squad.

@JamesPearceEcho: #LFC youngster Joao Carlos Teixeira is off to Brighton on loan to link up with Sami Hyypia's squad.

[article=http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/teixeira-joins-from-liverpool-1831135.aspx#650XcspJcbqKm74Y.99]Brighton & Hove Albion have completed the signing of Portuguese under-21 international Joao Carlos Teixeira on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

The 21-year-old attacking midfielder will link up with his new team-mates tonight at the club’s hotel base in the West Midlands, and be available to face Birmingham City tomorrow.

Manager Sami Hyypia said, "We are delighted to have brought Joao in for the season and we are very grateful to Liverpool. It's something we have been working on for a short time, and I am pleased to be able to welcome Joao to the club.

"The reports I have seen on him are very positive and my former colleagues at Liverpool have told me he is a very bright young prospect who is held in high regard at the club at all levels.

"Joao is an attacking player, who likes to be on the ball and do his best work in the final third of the pitch. I hope he will bring that extra edge to the team and our play - and give us an extra dimension.

"We still plan to further strengthen the squad, ahead of the transfer deadline, and there is still some work to do. We have targets, we know the areas we need to strengthen and we are making progress."

Teixeira joined Liverpool from Sporting Lisbon in 2012, having graduated through the club’s youth system. He had a brief spell on loan at Brentford last season, before making his Liverpool debut last season in a 3-2 win at Fulham in February.

He has played for Portugal at every level from under-16 to under-21. He made a goalscoring debut for the under-21s against Croatia in June 2013.

Meanwhile, Albion chief executive Paul Barber has also reassured fans that work continues to strengthen the squad ahead of the transfer window closing on September 1st.

He said, "Joao is the fifth target we have secured this summer and work continues on our remaining prospects as we move in to the final couple of weeks of the transfer window.

"Patience is key as we continue to focus on our main targets. Inevitably, we accept that this means we will be linked with players we are not interested in but it makes no sense for us to discuss publicly the players we want to join the club.

"We know our fans are keen to hear news as soon as possible. As ever, we will announce any further news as soon as we are able." [/article]

We've got an u19 squad competing in the PSV Otten Cup right now. They just won their opening match 1-0 against AZ Alkmaar with the goal from Sergi Canos. They play Heerenveen and then Real Madrid tomorrow. Matches are 30 mins each way.

Line up was

Fulton
Brewitt
Cleary
Ejaria
Maguire
Rossiter
Virtue
Ojo
Brannagan
Canos
Sinclair

@timlees10: Tomorrow will be my last day at Wigan Athletic thus all correspondence will not reach me.I am extremely honoured to be joining Liverpool FC

Seems a highely rated coach judging by the comments

Ilori to Bordeaux on loan. He was in their VIP box for their 4-1 win over Monaco last night.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/169152-reds-confirm-ilori-loan-deal
Reds confirm Ilori loan deal

18th Aug 2014 - Latest News​

9838__9104__140716-preseason-match-brondbylfc3_517X310.jpg

Author: James Carroll
@James_Carroll84

Liverpool can confirm Tiago Ilori has joined Bordeaux on loan.

The 21-year-old will spend the 2014-15 campaign with the French club after signing a season-long deal.
Ilori joined the Reds last September when he sealed a switch to Anfield from Portuguese giants Sporting CP.
The defender enjoyed a loan stint in Spain with Granada in the second half of last term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom