• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

agger

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote author=keniget link=topic=27188.msg687041#msg687041 date=1222705252]
We were aggressive as fuck in Rafa's second season. We used to run around, closing down space and harrying the opposition like Robbie Savage on speed... or perhaps that was just Momo Sissoko.

Either way... we were brutal that season... just lacked any real sort of cutting edge.
[/quote]

We improved in the 2nd season but not to the extent that we have now in this respect imo. Momo for all his failings definitely helped this area, but now right through the team we have a number of players that are willing to put it about a bit when needed .

[quote author=Rafa4PM link=topic=27188.msg687045#msg687045 date=1222705640]
[quote author=keniget link=topic=27188.msg687041#msg687041 date=1222705252]
We were aggressive as fuck in Rafa's second season. We used to run around, closing down space and harrying the opposition like Robbie Savage on speed... or perhaps that was just Momo Sissoko.

Either way... we were brutal that season... just lacked any real sort of cutting edge.
[/quote]

We improved but not to the extent that we have now in this respect imo. Momo for all his failings definitely helped this area, but now right through the team we have a number of players that are willing to put it about a bit when needed .
[/quote]

I'm not trying to disqualify the original point because it's a valid one, however I still do think that as a team, we were more aggressive due to the tactics and overall work ethic than we'll ever be again under Rafa. Since then, he's tried / had to transition into a more attacking philosophy and as a consequence, the aggression and work ethic of individuals is easier to identify than that of the teams overall.

[quote author=Whitey85 link=topic=27188.msg686920#msg686920 date=1222699141]
Theres no way we should drop Skrtel on current form. He does the ugly things far better than Agger. I love his aggression and the fact we now have some players who love a good scrap like Martin and Javier.
[/quote]

But it isn't just the ugly things, important though they are for a CB. Agger's a more fluent mover but up till now Skrtel's actual use of the ball has been better. People look at Agger's general movement around the pitch and assume, without really looking, that he's a better passer than he actually is.

[quote author=Herr Onceared link=topic=27188.msg687088#msg687088 date=1222710983]
Cos khl is his dad.
[/quote]
Blimey how old do you think I am?

Last time I saw PSV play, they played some silky football against Spurs in the OOOOOOOOOEFA ultimate europa cup last season.

That apple fella was frikkin ace

Agger breaks the silence - there's been no rift with Rafa apparently, all media-bollocks.

*mymostshockedsmileyface*

Agger's been speaking to Danish media Onside.dk and he now shoots down any talks about a rumoured rift between him and the gaffer. About the dressingroom atmosphere after the much malinged Liege-game;

- Of course Benitez wasn't overly satisfied after the game. It wasn't one of our best. But there's a gulf between what was happened and to what the medias has been writing - it's one big lie - Rafa was never angry or putting his foot down.

Journo: Is it only down to reasons such as form that you're not playing at the moment?

- Yeah, I hope so. I certainly don't have any problems with the club.

Journo: Benitez has said all the time that you're good enough to play doesn't it confuse then that you're not playing now that you're ready?

- Yeah but that's the thing with words. It's easy enough to go out and say it, if you don't show it, it doesn't mean shit.

Journo: What explanation have you been given?

- That the team is playing well.

Those rosy words Rafa has made to the press about you has he said them your face as well?

- No, not directly. But I know he has great confidence in me.

Journo: Doesn't that bother you?

- Yes, I've played every pre-season game and then suddenly I'm out. Of course I'm dissapointed.

Journo: What explanation have you got then? (This Journo is FISHING isn't he)?

- Nothing, other than we've been good in defence.

Despite the recent lack of games Agger's determined to stay and fight for his place.

- I want to stay and fight for my position. I'm not satisfied with not playing, but you'll have to take one on the chin. I'm happy in Liverpool.

It's a bit strange interview really, some quotes seems a bit over teh top other are very positive, but bottomline is, that it doesn't seem like he's going anywhere Danny-boy which IMO is very good news for us.

Think it's a great interview,actually.

He shouldn't be happy about being dropped and he should WANT to fight for his place back. All good footballers do.

But at the same time, he gets that Skrtel is playing better than he is and ther's no reason to drop him.

He'll get his chance; I just hope he takes it 8)

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg687294#msg687294 date=1222723419]
Agger breaks the silence - there's been no rift with Rafa apparently, all media-bollocks.

*mymostshockedsmileyface*

Agger's been speaking to Danish media Onside.dk and he now shoots down any talks about a rumoured rift between him and the gaffer. About the dressingroom atmosphere after the much malinged Liege-game;

- Of course Benitez wasn't overly satisfied after the game. It wasn't one of our best. But there's a gulf between what was happened and to what the medias has been writing - it's one big lie - Rafa was never angry or putting his foot down.

Journo: Is it only down to reasons such as form that you're not playing at the moment?

- Yeah, I hope so. I certainly don't have any problems with the club.

Journo: Benitez has said all the time that you're good enough to play doesn't it confuse then that you're not playing now that you're ready?

- Yeah but that's the thing with words. It's easy enough to go out and say it, if you don't show it, it doesn't mean shit.

Journo: What explanation have you been given?

- That the team is playing well.

Those rosy words Rafa has made to the press about you has he said them your face as well?

- No, not directly. But I know he has great confidence in me.

Journo: Doesn't that bother you?

- Yes, I've played every pre-season game and then suddenly I'm out. Of course I'm dissapointed.

Journo: What explanation have you got then? (This Journo is FISHING isn't he)?

- Nothing, other than we've been good in defence.

Despite the recent lack of games Agger's determined to stay and fight for his place.

- I want to stay and fight for my position. I'm not satisfied with not playing, but you'll have to take one on the chin. I'm happy in Liverpool.

It's a bit strange interview really, some quotes seems a bit over teh top other are very positive, but bottomline is, that it doesn't seem like he's going anywhere Danny-boy which IMO is very good news for us.
[/quote]

strange interview, piece in bold could be taken out of context and imply bad criticism of rafa

[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686539#msg686539 date=1222673364]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=27188.msg686367#msg686367 date=1222645478]
Another clean sheet at the weekend.

Daniel Agger can shut the fuck up and stay sitting.
[/quote]

He certainly should play come Champions League midweek don't you agree? Or would you keep him out untill Skrtl looses us a game?

The Carra / Skrtl partnership hasn't leaked many goals so far but they are not the perfect centerback pairing as they are far to alike in my opinion. None of them have the composure nor skill to turn defence into attack - at least they are not in the same league as Agger who's on his day is one of the most skillful CB's in the world. We will often need our defenders talent on the break as well or as adding up the numbers when playing tight oppositions, and as a result we need an in-form Agger to play.

If he doesn't play at home in the Champions League come Wednesday - especially after his MOTM performance midweek in the Carling Cup - no wonder if he's severely dissapointed. He should be.
[/quote]

Man of the Match against Crewe. I'd forgotten about that.

Are we expecting the bid from Real Madrid any day now?

[quote author=Ryan link=topic=27188.msg687364#msg687364 date=1222730361]
[quote author=the_khl link=topic=27188.msg686539#msg686539 date=1222673364]
[quote author=Ryan link=topic=27188.msg686367#msg686367 date=1222645478]
Another clean sheet at the weekend.

Daniel Agger can shut the fuck up and stay sitting.
[/quote]

He certainly should play come Champions League midweek don't you agree? Or would you keep him out untill Skrtl looses us a game?

The Carra / Skrtl partnership hasn't leaked many goals so far but they are not the perfect centerback pairing as they are far to alike in my opinion. None of them have the composure nor skill to turn defence into attack - at least they are not in the same league as Agger who's on his day is one of the most skillful CB's in the world. We will often need our defenders talent on the break as well or as adding up the numbers when playing tight oppositions, and as a result we need an in-form Agger to play.

If he doesn't play at home in the Champions League come Wednesday - especially after his MOTM performance midweek in the Carling Cup - no wonder if he's severely dissapointed. He should be.
[/quote]

Man of the Match against Crewe. I'd forgotten about that.

Are we expecting the bid from Real Madrid any day now?
[/quote]

Well, yeah, but that's the only cameo he's had in the Liverpool-shirt for about a month now.

Todays grauniad

Daniel Agger has admitted he would have made a serious error had he rejected Liverpool's offer of a new contract and left the club this summer.

The Denmark international ended months of uncertainty over his future recently when he agreed terms on a new five-year contract with Liverpool, one that will replace the final 12 months of his existing deal and keep him at Anfield until 2014 on an improved salary of around £55,000 a week.

Agger had been reluctant to commit his future to Liverpool due in part to a lack of first-team starts under Rafael Benítez since returning from a series of metatarsal fractures, with Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel the manager's preferred partnership in central defence this season, and his agent held talks with the likes of Milan over the possibility of a cut-price move under the "Webster ruling" this summer. Now, however, with his deal agreed although unsigned, and Liverpool emerging as genuine rivals to Manchester United in the Premier League, the 24-year-old admits it would have been unwise to leave a club on an upward curve.

"I've agreed a contract, the manager has agreed a new contract, Steven Gerrard, Dirk Kuyt and some other players are all agreeing contracts so I think this shows you that within the club there is a real sense that we are building towards something special," said Agger, a £5.8m signing from Brondby in 2006. "Everyone wants to be successful, everyone wants to be part of it. If you don't, then I think you're making a big mistake. There is a lot that we should be proud of this season and we are."

Liverpool, meanwhile, have announced they will host Fernando Torres' former club Atlético Madrid in a pre-season friendly at Anfield on Saturday 8 August. Torres missed both Champions League group games against his boyhood club this season through injury but will now have a chance to face Atlético for the first time since his departure in a fixture that will complete Liverpool's pre-season preparations. Benítez's team are also scheduled to play Thailand and Singapore in a brief tour of the Far East in July.

I thought coco the clown was no longer involved in transfer dealings/contracts??

Agger everyday, all day over Skrtel. He's been out a long time and his form will improve with game time.

That's some bump!

Agger's a real favourite of mine. He's almost a world-class defender with that extra touch of class. If he can stay fit he'll improve into one of the best around.

Agger was our most composed defender today. Always seemed to have time and wanted to play it to a red shirt. Not to knock Jamie but he was having to Row Z the ball more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom