• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ajax (H) CL 13 September 2022 20:00 pre match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. The Ajax man is crossing from literally inside our box, he's got maybe half a season to make a choice.

I think when you're running back at pace, you have to choose a man to pick up. You don't have time to read a flight of the ball exactly and hope the crosser has overhit/underhit it perfectly to drop on your head. You've got to get close to who you think is a man that can score, and then try and affect them.

The goal they scored? He can carry some blame on that one for sure.

But that chance above? I think it's a collective failure and Trent was left stranded.

We know he's been shocking lately, but what I'm not going to do is do what our rivals want us to do and pile on Trent for every collective mistake made, just because he was a part of it.
I need to go back and watch that again but my recollection is that he was set and not running at pace. And the last thing I want to do is pile in. And by the way, I think he was less culpable for the goal— it was just a well-worked goal in my view.

It's the few seconds before the cross that get me. He's stood there when we first lose the ball, Blind screaming for it but doesn't receive it. Play moves on, Blind sprints ahead into the box, then Trent realises and tries to sprint back but he's up against it by then. Matip (I think) has to then commit to someone in the box and is drawn to the near post, and that's how Trent finds himself in no man's land at the back with two attackers. If he had just been a second or two quicker getting back in, the chance might not come about. It's very fine margins.

I love Trent. But Ajax's goal and that chance could've been prevented had he worked a little bit harder and sprinted back into position a second or two earlier. For the goal, if he gets in there slightly earlier, that shot isn't on. Instead, he's trying to make up for lost ground as he didn't sprint back a second or two earlier when he should have.

I disagree. The Ajax man is crossing from literally inside our box, he's got maybe half a season to make a choice.

I think when you're running back at pace, you have to choose a man to pick up. You don't have time to read a flight of the ball exactly and hope the crosser has overhit/underhit it perfectly to drop on your head. You've got to get close to who you think is a man that can score, and then try and affect them.

The goal they scored? He can carry some blame on that one for sure.

But that chance above? I think it's a collective failure and Trent was left stranded.

We know he's been shocking lately, but what I'm not going to do is do what our rivals want us to do and pile on Trent for every collective mistake made, just because he was a part of it.

We will have to agree to disagree then. When the cross was coming he was not running at pace.

I dont blame him for the goal they scored. Yes, there were some errors but in the end, it was a brilliant finish.

It's the few seconds before the cross that get me. He's stood there when we first lose the ball, Blind screaming for it but doesn't receive it. Play moves on, Blind sprints ahead into the box, then Trent realises and tries to sprint back but he's up against it by then. Matip (I think) has to then commit to someone in the box and is drawn to the near post, and that's how Trent finds himself in no man's land at the back with two attackers. If he had just been a second or two quicker getting back in, the chance might not come about. It's very fine margins.

I love Trent. But Ajax's goal and that chance could've been prevented had he worked a little bit harder and sprinted back into position a second or two earlier. For the goal, if he gets in there slightly earlier, that shot isn't on. Instead, he's trying to make up for lost ground as he didn't sprint back a second or two earlier when he should have.
Same should be said of Salah and Elliott.

It's the few seconds before the cross that get me. He's stood there when we first lose the ball, Blind screaming for it but doesn't receive it. Play moves on, Blind sprints ahead into the box, then Trent realises and tries to sprint back but he's up against it by then.

Compare his speed/reaction running back to Thiago and Tsmikas.

I dare say Trent was better than both but yet the spotlight in on TAA.

You think he should be challenging the man further away from the goal?

Blind is the LB. Bergwign the LW.

Trent's man and the most dangerous player in this scenario is the LW (as he's closer to the centre of the goal).
Screenshot-2022-09-14-at-15-02-06.png

I was very critical of Trent last week, and generally he's been shocking defensively and effort-wise lately, but this situation is the fault of others. Thiago lost the ball and recovered slowly, Kostas and Trent were out of position (thinking we had possession), VVD and Matip are marking the same man. TAA is then left with 2 at the back post.

Yep, threat for that break and Blind chance came from a long way and all from the left and from some careless play from Diaz or Jota (can’t remember).
The main problem still is not down to a single player but a few players not doing their job or not capable of it especially in key moments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom