• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ajax (H) CL 13 September 2022 20:00 pre match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts -

Tsimikas was very good.
Trent is a real problem right now at fullback. HAS to be rectified asap.
Thiago is so vital to the way we play footy now - it's a big problem considering his health.
JOta helped the team a lot.
Salah looked closer to Salah - happy with effort & goal.
It's a good win against a very in form team.
Another break now to get fresher and work more - and hopefully, thrash Rangers.

Bug players back in the team and a much better performance, no coincidence. Their keeper had a really good game and usually that means we drop points, but great to get the win.

Shame we're not playing for a couple of weeks now.

Good game, Taking nothing away from Ajax I still believe we played poorly in a lot of areas. TAA doesn't do it for me anymore.

There'll be an unusual level of support for the Gers from this side of the Irish Sea tomorrow.

....I'm just sayin :whistle:

MotM : Tsimikas for me - stopped Tadic dead and was always a creative threat, good corners and crosses.

Thiago and Matip take the next two slots though in what order is debatable !
Yep and Tadic had the best stat for distance covered tonight.

Ajax goalkeeper Remko Pasveer made eight saves against Liverpool.
Since 2003-04, only Jan Oblak for Atletico de Madrid in March 2020 (Nine - including extra-time) has made more saves in a Champions League match at Anfield against Liverpool.

@AFCAjax attempted just three shots against Liverpool tonight, their lowest tally in a single Champions League match since Opta analyses the competition in full detail (2003-04). Toothless.

@AFCAjax attempted just three shots against Liverpool tonight, their lowest tally in a single Champions League match since Opta analyses the competition in full detail (2003-04). Toothless.

I would say that's a fairly misleading stat – they always looked dangerous on the break and could have scored the 2nd through Daley Blind. Our midfield did control the game much better than in many of the recent performances to be fair.

I would say that's a fairly misleading stat – they always looked dangerous on the break and could have scored the 2nd through Daley Blind. Our midfield did control the game much better than in many of the recent performances to be fair.
And by the same token we had 23 shots (and a ton of good possession that could also have resulted in numerous goals) that had some been just a foot or two either side of the keeper and we'd have ended up winning easily. So not that misleading at all actually ;)

Last edited:
Elliot was very poor and Jota should be our number 9 from now on .

Totally agree about Jota, but would only partly agree about Elliot.

He wasn’t great, but he did a lot more defensive work, stayed deeper at times and also went out wide to allow Salah to move inside more, meaning Salah was more dangerous.

He could have done better when he shot wide from close range, but he was off balance and I’m not sure if he could hook his foot round the ball more.

His positioning was a lot tighter to Fabs & Thiago.

He’s going to need games where his attacking abilities are secondary and he puts in a shift running, pressing and covering like Hendo.

I think it’s good for his learning and development.

It's crazy how VVD never really attempts to block shots. Even when he's the last man he'll always stay on his feet. The most he'll do is step vaguely in the direction of a shot. It's almost like it would be far too uncool to be seen throwing a leg out in desperation.
100% agree.

Thiago Matip Kostas were brilliant, their aggression more than anything helped in abundance.

Jota was in and out of the game but he brings a different dimension to our attack with his close ball control.

Harvey for me struggled, again all I'm seeing is safe play...not seeing anything that's making me go wow Harvey.

Again question marks over Trent, it's more of a concern now...it's a problem.

I thought Trent was decent today, must have watched diff game I guess.
He deserves a bit more help from the right though.
I agree. Everyone is piling in on him for the goal but nobody seems to care about how the situation arose. It all started with van Dijk coming high and left with Tsimikas and Fabinho. As the ball moves back the Ajax back like and across the pitch they are slowly moving back into position where Trent picks up the right space. Close enough to Matip. Then the ball gets to Blind. Mo goes to him but doesn’t get there in time. Elliott does go with the man or to cut out the pass. Tent is then the one exposed. Followed by good movement which send van Dijk off course and an excellent finish.

To look at it another way, had Robbo made that pass to Diaz who got by a right back, we’d be creaming ourselves over the play.

I agree. Everyone is piling in on him for the goal but nobody seems to care about how the situation arose. It all started with van Dijk coming high and left with Tsimikas and Fabinho. As the ball moves back the Ajax back like and across the pitch they are slowly moving back into position where Trent picks up the right space. Close enough to Matip. Then the ball gets to Blind. Mo goes to him but doesn’t get there in time. Elliott does go with the man or to cut out the pass. Tent is then the one exposed. Followed by good movement which send van Dijk off course and an excellent finish.

To look at it another way, had Robbo made that pass to Diaz who got by a right back, we’d be creaming ourselves over the play.

I agree that Trent had a decent game - he curbed his forward runs, won important tackles and still managed to threaten in attack.

However - the goal was on him - it was his won mistake and it cost us.

Salah & Harvey are pressing the player with the ball and Trent moves to put pressure on him - if he does that he needs to move fast, be decisive, go all in and win the ball - for me he’s too far away and shouldn’t be doing it, instead leaving it to Salah & Harvey.

He doesn’t track the run - he sees it, but moves on to the front foot - if he’d tracked it, there’s a high chance the move comes to nothing.

Having not tracked the run, the minute the ball m’s played through, Natio has to move over to cover - which means Van Dijk is exposed in the centre and Ajax have the space to create a clear chance and score.

Having not tracked the run, seen the ball go out right and Matip have to move out to the right, I would have thought Trent should have busted a gut to get into the centre to help cover the space left by Matip - but the damage is done by then.

Split second decision that he got wrong - and we’re punished - but these are the fine margins at the top.

I have no idea how in some situations today what Trent can do better unless he sits back like Wan Bissaka.

Later on, he made so many interceptions while he was effectively last man.

He is expected to be up and down but also play a high line, create bulk of chances and cover Mo and Elliot for not doing their fair share at times.

No pressure Trent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom