• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ajax (H) CL 13 September 2022 20:00 pre match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason that the world's best defender now spends more time keeping his arms behind his back than actually attempting to block the shot, when an opposing forward is shooting?!?! FFS.

Yes, it's a disturbing trend and doesn't appear to be effective. He's often a couple strides away and may not be in a position to make a tackle - but he's unsighting Ali much of the time and not doing anything to prevent the shot.

Trent being Trent.

Very good in offensive situations and then caught napping defensively.

Unfortunately when things are going the way they are for us this season, 1 attack = 1 goal.

When is Ramsay back back?

Also these games are far too big for Harvey.

Anonymous v Utd, Anonymous v Everton, Anonymous v Napoli and pretty anonymous today.

Let that bat back in, @tombrown

On the football side, we clearly look more compact, each line plays much more like a unit, staying closer to each other and moving together. Unfortunately this seems to have affected Elliott - he is looking very average all of a sudden, slower than the others and one-footed. I thought Trent was at fault for the goal; he didn’t track the runner into the space behind him, forcing Matip to go wide to cover, so VVD was outnumbered. Jota and Diaz looking good; Thiago makes a huge difference; we’re slightly unlucky that none of our harder chances went in. Good game and Ajax are playing well.

Is there a reason that the world's best defender now spends more time keeping his arms behind his back than actually attempting to block the shot, when an opposing forward is shooting?!?! FFS.
Actually yes. We've been doing this for years and mostly it works (more than the other option), there was an excellent tactical breakdown of how and why we do this (not as many pens given away, less deflections where the ball finishes up in an unanticipated and undefendable place and less of a tendency to dive in etc. etc.) I think the breakdown was by The Athletic.

It's crazy how VVD never really attempts to block shots. Even when he's the last man he'll always stay on his feet. The most he'll do is step vaguely in the direction of a shot. It's almost like it would be far too uncool to be seen throwing a leg out in desperation.

Trent quit again when the all went past him. Kudus could absolutely have been tackled by Trent if he had sprinted back.

How do the video wizards not show him this stuff and him fix it?!

Helps if Diaz( I think it was him
Who put Thiago in trouble) or plays with his brain.
All over the place again, a bit more discipline would help.

Trent quit again when the all went past him. Kudus could absolutely have been tackled by Trent if he had sprinted back.

How do the video wizards not show him this stuff and him fix it?!

I've been uber tough on him but at least he sprinted a bit after realizing he need to get back into position - it's a slight improvement.

I've been uber tough on him but at least he sprinted a bit after realizing he need to get back into position - it's a slight improvement.

He didn’t walk at least. But you see his inclination is to stop but then remembered he’s a defender and starts jogging again.

If we don't beat these, we better get used to playing in the Europa League this season. Will be a nice warm up to playing in it next season, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom