• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Allen to Stoke for £13m Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got our money back. Decent midfielder, just didn't work out in the end.
Wish him the best.

Didn't we offer him a new contact at some point but he wanted assurances about playing time?
If we were going to lose him in a year anyhow it is probably best to get a fee for him now and use this season to bed in his replacement in the squad.
He seemed like a decent lad and was a good pro so hopefully he makes a success of it for himself elsewhere as long as it doesn't impact on the success of liverpool

Always seemed to get injured when he got into form and was probably better coming off the bench then starting games.

Anyway, good lad and a good player.
Good luck to him.

Nice guy and a nice footballer, but he was never really dynamic enough to be a starter in a top side. He was more influential at Swansea than he ever was here where Rodgers seem to restrict him as a holding midfielder which he didn't seem suited to. He looked better under Klopp because he played him in a more advanced role against tired legs. That shouldn't mark the fact he wasn't good enough to start week in, week out. Klopp both saw and used him as an option. His preference, I believe is to have two big, tall strong CM's at the base of midfielder who can compete in aerial duals when teams are trying to bypass our press. I think we'll see a lot of Grujic and Can for this very reason - with Lucas and Allen both consistently linked with moves away.

I genuinely hope he does well for them and wish him the best of luck.

Reactions: dee
6b3d38c2740169725fc30dd205fc437e.jpg

Klopp tonight:

"I feel good (about Joe). I like the guy and I really think he is a wonderful football player."

After a strong Euros he's probably worth between 15-18m, but with only a year left I guess we're taking what we can for him now.

I feel kind of upset about this - but then again I will watch some of his key mistakes against Portugal to feel good.

13m for a very much fringe squad late 20s player with one year left on contract.

Good business.

Klopp tonight:

"I feel good (about Joe). I like the guy and I really think he is a wonderful football player."
If klopp really rated him they would have offered him a new contract and he would have played him in the big games from the start.

If klopp really rated him they would have offered him a new contract and he would have played him in the big games from the start.
It is possible to think someone is both a wonderful footballer and also not quite fit into your 5 year plan for a club the intended level of Liverpool. Not mutually opposing ideas.

Klopp does not seem like the insincere type to me.

Good player but not quite good enough. Made a good team better but not capable of pulling a mediocre team up by the bootstraps.

Like him, as a person and a player. Best wishes, except against us.

Wouldn't say he is injury prone (the Sturridge type) but he tends to miss games through injuries suffered every other 2-3 months. Definitely doesn't help with securing starting XI position and maintaining form and fitness.

That's nonsense. He's gone out of his way again and again to comment on him and his performances last year.

Yes he did. And then he'd not pick him for the next game. Which is perhaps more telling.

He did the same with Sturridge last year too.

The situations are hardly comparable. Sturridge was clearly being nursed back to strength after repeated injuries. Allen was fit but left on the bench.

The situations are hardly comparable. Sturridge was clearly being nursed back to strength after repeated injuries. Allen was fit but left on the bench.

My point was that you can only choose 11 players to play, and given we (like most other clubs) have more than 11 good players, there are always going to be players that the manager rates who don't necessarily get in the team. Beyond his injuries, Sturridge was dropped in favour or Origi last year. Doesn't mean the manager doesn't rate him.

It's the same with Allen. I believe Klopp rates him, and rates him highly, and the fact he's being sold shouldn't reflect on Allen's lack of 'fit' within Klopp's side, more that Allen's the sort that wants to play and Klopp couldn't guarantee that. Plus the fact he has a year left on his contract and can get 13M for him.

Ah shame really. If Stoke have really got him they have done well. 13mill seems about right to me.

My point was that you can only choose 11 players to play, and given we (like most other clubs) have more than 11 good players, there are always going to be players that the manager rates who don't necessarily get in the team. Beyond his injuries, Sturridge was dropped in favour or Origi last year. Doesn't mean the manager doesn't rate him.

It's the same with Allen. I believe Klopp rates him, and rates him highly, and the fact he's being sold shouldn't reflect on Allen's lack of 'fit' within Klopp's side, more that Allen's the sort that wants to play and Klopp couldn't guarantee that. Plus the fact he has a year left on his contract and can get 13M for him.

He obviously doesn't think he's shite Ryan, but the fact remains that he clearly saw Sturridge as a much more important player than Allen and he repeatedly left Allen out of the team in the biggest matches which was generally not true of Sturridge. Against Dortmund, Villareal, the Europa final, the League cup final etc etc., Allen was on the bench.

He clearly rated him less than his other midfield options.

Kinda reminds me of what Klopp said about Balotelli.
Even called him "world class".

Still....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom