• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

ASHES - 2015!

Ryan

The Prophet
This had 5-0 to the Aussies stamped all over it until Harris got ruled out I reckon. That’s their best Test bowler and leading man down. England are bound to be delighted.

Everyone’s raving about the flat tracks disrupting Australia’s pace, but Australia have beaten everyone on every track in the last 2 years, so I can’t see that disrupting them. Besides, if England try to flat and defend their way through this Series they’ll get blown away. Plus, Lyon’s a far better bowler than given credit for,. He’ll take wickets on flat pitches against all those English left-handers.

England are a chance if Root keeps up his form, if Stokes plays well, and if Anderson and Broad attack relentlessly.

But really, Australia have to have a major dip not to win this. Smith’s the best batsman in the world, Starc is mesmerising, and Johnson’s lead up form in the warm up’s is scary. I think Australia’s only weakness is their openers – Rodgers is limited, and no doubt England will try and unsettle Warner.

I reckon 3-1 Australia.

Yup good for us Harris has retired as he has been the Aussies best bowler in recent years. But a whitewash by Australia ( sponsored by SAGA ) I don't think so ! They lost in 2013 and against Pakistan so they have been far from invincible in the last two years!
Nobody knows what the pitches will be like, the weather has been very dry this year, so you might expect slow turners good for batting but nobody can predict the weather. I hope we play Rashid - he is better than Lyons and the Aussies didn't play leg spin very well in the WI's.
I wouldn't read anything in the warm up games which were played against weakened county sides, and Johnson has never done it over here, with the exception of Old Trafford there are no really quick test pitches and we're not playing there this Ashes. The aussie press I see say his pace is down and he should have swerved the IPL as he was asked to by cricket australia. We'll see whether Smith can do it at no3 - world of difference coming in early facing the Duke ball in England. Stark looks the real deal though, and Hazlewood looks promising. but will it be a series too far for the geriatric Aussie batters?

Starts tomorrow. I hope we (England) win the bloody toss because it's a cloudy morning in Cardiff apparently. Just ripe conditions for Jimmy to thrown down a few swinging rip snorters. The missus has already got my lad Kaito decked out in baggy green hats just to wind me up! (she's an Aussie not a weidro in case you were wondering!) Really looking forward to it. @gkmacca @tony @Brizzle @Judge Jules @the count @Ryan - Let's Have it!!

Great thread. Come on England. Great news that Harris is out but the dangerous Johnson is my main worry, he bullied our batsmen in the previous series

Soz @Hass - Forgot you're a fan. I think England are massive underdogs but the toss tomorrow will be interesting!

No need to apologise mate. You're right the toss will be key. The first Ashes without the legendary Ritchie Benaud, RIP. Looking forward to a bit of Blowers on TMS however

No need to apologise mate. You're right the toss will be key. The first Ashes without the legendary Ritchie Benaud, RIP. Looking forward to a bit of Blowers on TMS however

Yep - Me too. TMS will be cranked and ready to go. Have you ever heard the Aggers podcasts on BBC at the end of the days play? Always worth a listen in case you haven't. :)

Is Harris really a big loss? I've not been following Oz cricket so don't know how bad it is for them. It's not like us losing Jimmy right?

Harris is a big loss for them mate, that bowling attack of Johnson, Siddle and Harris is fearsome. Very similar in nature to Glenn McGrath for me, not the quickest of bowlers but his line and length although not on a par as McGrath is close.

I've not listened to Aggers podcast mate but thanks for the recommendation I shall be sure to download it after every days play.

Roll on the summer brother. I'll be here in this thread mostly so we can banter away. Beats potential gossip about Benteke signings and Sterling sales and the subsequent moanings everyone else talks about. Zzzzzzz - I'm looking forward to @Ryan chipping in; however. He loves his cricket and I'm guessing that if the last ashes is to go by he's not and England fan..... Expect sarcasm and comedy virtoil. Or good insight. I guess it depends on his time of the month ;)

There's already a thread for this you cuntz!

Harris is a monster loss, don't underestimate that. The go-to Test bowler in that side for years.

I'm not as sold on Rashid as the spin option for Eng as some of you lot are. Got a lot to prove.

England are a fascinating work in progress. I'll be pleased if they just stay positive and go for it. This is surely Cook's last series as captain and he needs to be prodded by Bayliss into being more (or rather, start being) attack-minded. Australia are a fine team but fingers crossed this will be a proper contest from start to finish.

There's already a thread for this you cuntz!

Harris is a monster loss, don't underestimate that. The go-to Test bowler in that side for years.

I'm not as sold on Rashid as the spin option for Eng as some of you lot are. Got a lot to prove.

I'm not sold on the Aussies playing leg spin!

England are a fascinating work in progress. I'll be pleased if they just stay positive and go for it. This is surely Cook's last series as captain and he needs to be prodded by Bayliss into being more (or rather, start being) attack-minded. Australia are a fine team but fingers crossed this will be a proper contest from start to finish.

I really hope we don't over attack Warner, Cook can do no right as captain in some peoples' eyes and would no doubt get slaughtered for it, but I hope he puts a boundary fielder at backward point. Warner scores most of his runs here and why allow him to get off on a flyer. He's not the same batsman when he's not scoring quickly

Oh fuck! Captains know best but I can see them ripping through the top order. 1st hour is crucial!

Depends if that cloud cover helps them swing it around, it looks to be going. Comforting to hear Clarke say he'd have batted too if he'd won the toss.

I know - The sun is smiling down now. Hopefully Cook and Lyth can see off the new ball with little fuss.

Interesting on the radio they say that they expect the pitch to be flatter than an ironing board, first session is crucial.

Lyth gone.

Hazlewood (who's going to be a fucking epic bowler) done him for decent line and length, but ti was a sloppy shot with ordinary footwork. Stayed low and a good catch in the slips.

Oh bollocks. That was a soft one. These low bounce deliveries are going to bring LBW right into it.

That Hazelwood is a great bowler as Ryan pointed out. Starc looks a bit wayward though.

Hazlewood being unusually wasteful early.

Outfield looks surprisingly quick. Ball's zipping away for 4 quite easily.

What's Lyth's go anyway RA? Haven't seen a lot of him, he much use?

To me he's a new kid on the block. Got a maiden test century against NZ - Impressive against genuine pace. It was maybe a gamble to play him but in my mind a good one. The guy has talent no doubt. I hope he can show it in the 2nd innings.

He loves cutting those as well which makes the dismissal even more surprising

Back
Top Bottom