• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Ashes!

Ryan

The Prophet
Fuckin c'mon Australia!

First test starts in 2 hours at the Gabba.

If this goes to form, the weather holds across most days, then I think Australia take the series 3-1.

At the top of the order I think they're both reasonably matched, and with Root and Smith respectively at 4 - you've got arguably the two best batsmen in world cricket. The middle order balances itself out, but it's in the bowling dept that Australia take it.

Broad and Anderson are very very good bowlers, but I just don't see England consistently taking 20 wickets. Anderson's ageing, so how that body holds up in Australian conditions week after week will be interesting.

On the other side, Australia's attack is immense. Starc, Cummins, and the incredible Hazlewood will be too good for England. Lyon takes wickets, and even in reserve they've got quality bowlers.

I could be totally wrong, but I think Australia win in Brisbane, and take it home from there.

I like the commentators on the bt coverage so far.
Informative, knowledgeable and not over chummy.

England steadied after losing Cook to a ripsnorter from Starc early, then the rain hit. 59/1.

Well that was a fun first day. Australia slightly edged it maybe but overall I'm happy. The key will be tomorrow. The ball is only 2 overs old and the match is starting early due to the rain today so I'm guessing lots of nip from the seam bowlers early doors. Strange too that it was turning on the first day at the Gabba. My Aussie wife thinks it's in the bag with Root gone but I think the England batting line up is pretty deep so we'll see. Looking forward to seeing it later.:)

Well that was a fun first day. Australia slightly edged it maybe but overall I'm happy. The key will be tomorrow. The ball is only 2 overs old and the match is starting early due to the rain today so I'm guessing lots of nip from the seam bowlers early doors. Strange too that it was turning on the first day at the Gabba. My Aussie wife thinks it's in the bag with Root gone but I think the England batting line up is pretty deep so we'll see. Looking forward to seeing it later.:)

This morning's session is going to be huge. If the Aussie quicks can get the new ball moving then they could skittle them out for 270-odd, and it'd be truly advantage Australia.

But, Moeen Ali can bat, and they've got Broad and Bairstow to come - so 350+ is possible if England can see off the new ball.

This morning's session is going to be huge. If the Aussie quicks can get the new ball moving then they could skittle them out for 270-odd, and it'd be truly advantage Australia.

But, Moeen Ali can bat, and they've got Broad and Bairstow to come - so 350+ is possible if England can see off the new ball.
Agree completely - The first session is going to be pivotal. I think I must side with my head and not my heart and think the Aussies will skittle us out. If we make 300 - I'll take that.

Does anyone actually watch it properly or just have it on in the background and pay attention when a wicket is taken?

I've yet to meet an Aussie who actually will sit down and watch it play for play.

Test cricket is a dying sport in a world where fans want instant gratification and excitement.

The big bash has been a massive success.

Speaking of the Ashes @FoxForceFive - Have you continued with your study of the game? I remember a while ago you started getting interested (especially the Ashes) Looks like this might be a good 'un! :cool:

Does anyone actually watch it properly or just have it on in the background and pay attention when a wicket is taken?

I've yet to meet an Aussie who actually will sit down and watch it play for play.

Test cricket is a dying sport in a world where fans want instant gratification and excitement.

The big bash has been a massive success.
Fuck that! It's all about tests man. At least here in the UK it is. I'll watch a one day maybe but you have to remember that the test format has been going on for nearly 200 years. The game was invented in the 16th century FFS! Maybe in Oz the test format is dying out (Big Bash?! Pfffffft!) - Here in the UK it's alive and kicking. Try preaching your 'big bash' nonsense to the folks in the Hollis Stand! See where that get's you X

Fuck that! It's all about tests man. At least here in the UK it is. I'll watch a one day maybe but you have to remember that the test format has been going on for nearly 200 years. The game was invented in the 16th century FFS! Maybe in Oz the test format is dying out (Big Bash?! Pfffffft!) - Here in the UK it's alive and kicking. Try preaching your 'big bash' nonsense to the folks in the Hollis Stand! See where that get's you X

People are still excited about it, but the attendance is heavily for the big bash, 4 hours of high octane drama. A great night out.

I just find it laughable that people say the ashes is amazing but then they say they don't watch it as it's too slow and drawn out.

Ireland is about to have its first test soon.

People are still excited about it, but the attendance is heavily for the big bash, 4 hours of high octane drama. A great night out.

I just find it laughable that people say the ashes is amazing but then they say they don't watch it as it's too slow and drawn out.

Ireland is about to have its first test soon.

Great and long overdue - I'm 1/4 Irish and very proud of my emerald Isle roots. I watch tests as much as I can man. I love it. I regularly go to the Oval or Lords to watch games and adore it. As long as TMS is on in the background I'm a happy camper. As I said earlier my wife is an Aussie and loves it too so we tend to watch the highlights together. I love whacking on TMS though and get busy writing through the night. Utter perfection :)

Malan just taken off a speculative short ball from Starc.

That said, England's morning so far. They're in control here so long as they don't collapse.

England collapsing! 3 down in the space of 10 minutes.

Lyon deserved those wickets, he's been the pick of Australia's bowlers.

All out for 302, after being 245-4 an hour ago.

They'd seen off the new ball too.
Errrr 52-2 - I'll take that fella. As I'm sure (if the shoe was on other foot) you would too ;-) Big love x

Last edited:
Get Smith out and these will fold like a pack of cards. You should know you're shit if Usman Khawaja is in your team.

Smith rallied to get Aus to 165-4, but as Larry says - England are one great delivery to him from having a huge lead going into the second innings.

Broad didn’t take long to get his line and length yesterday, and Australia’s middle order don’t have the patience for that.

Only hope is that Starc knocks together a score.

Going to be another fascinating innings.

This could be a great series, because both teams are average with occasions of brilliance. Australia should win but I don't think there will be miles in it

Hmmmmm lovely - See this is why I love test cricket. Oz on top. England fight back. To and fro between two great teams. It might have a bit of needle sometimes but the respect is always there. England have been brilliant though in the first session. The only fly in the ointment is Smith. Well.... - It wouldn't be cricket if I didn't acknowledge that. A proper boss batsman. Brilliant to see but I hope Jimmy skittles him soon :)

Smith makes his ton, and in doing so has singlehandedly kept Australia in this test.

Complete superstar.

England 7 ahead at the end of day 3, with 2 men down.

That last half hour spell from Cummins & Lyon to Root/Stoneman was scintillating cricket. How they survived Cummins' onslaught is a credit to them.

Some test match this.

Back
Top Bottom