• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Asian Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James

Well-Known
Perhaps not too exciting for most but for our resident Australians/Asians, it's an exciting time.
The Asian Cup is being held in Australia for the first time ever. Australia are heavy favourites but mainly due to the media. I fancy Japan to do the business.
Any locals going to any of the games? I picked up a ticket for the first quarterfinal, hopefully Australia vs. someone for only $30.
I'm also interested to see North Korea play. Rumours that all their traveling supporters are just government officials acting like fans. Bizarre.

Yeah got given tickets this morning for the opener on Friday night. Should be a good atmosphere if nothing else.

Hilarious that Australia are favourites. Japan will wipe the fucking floor with them if it gets that far.

I'm giving away tickets for Fridays opener if you follow my pubs Instagram.

I've also got tickets to give away for Japan's game in Melbourne on the 20th.

I think Australia might win it - to be fair, they haven't list at home to an Asian team since 2009 (I think - Kuwait in an Asian Cup qualifier.

Japan are the other contenders

The draw points to an Australia v Japan final.

I'm giving away tickets for Fridays opener if you follow my pubs Instagram.

I've also got tickets to give away for Japan's game in Melbourne on the 20th.

You got any extra tickets for Friday night? I need 2 if you've got them. Got the cash-ola too if you like.

I bought a pair of premium tickets for every game in Melbourne while at the World Cup in Brasil.

6 group games including the opening game featuring Australia and the q/f which will have the winners of Australia's group in it.
$300 not bad at all.
I'd love to see Australia win but can't seem them getting far, they are piss weak.
Japan should coast it.
Met the Bahrain team today. A lot of my friends have to Palestine flags and are going in support of them to that game.

I think Australia might win it - to be fair, they haven't list at home to an Asian team since 2009 (I think - Kuwait in an Asian Cup qualifier.

Home advantage is always huge but there are 9 countries rated higher than Australia according to the latest FIFA rankings so I think this might be a lot tougher than you are envisioning. Iran are the highest rated a full 49 places above Aus. and 3 higher than Japan.

Of course those rankings can be very deceiving at times (how about Cape Verde rated miles above Australia !) but for most of the Asian countries those rankings were achieved by playing other Asian countries so are probably particularly valid.

Any decent previews of this anyone can suggest featuring likely line-ups or relative strengths/weaknesses of teams?

You got any extra tickets for Friday night? I need 2 if you've got them. Got the cash-ola too if you like.

How the fuck is Australia Asian..
I know they have had an influx of migrants over the years, but they are no way Asian!

I know they have had an influx of migrants over the years, but they are no way Asian!

I suppose the same way the likes of Israel play in European competitions.

It doesn't really matter, it's just a competition, they don't have to convert to Asian-ism before they play or anything.

Think you need to get out your globe of the world ! They are only 200kms apart at their nearest ! London to Paris is 341kms ;)

Australia pushed to be a part of Asia as they were in Oceania and playing against the fucking Solomon Islands and tonking them 17 - 0 or some shit so decided they'd apply to join Asia to have tougher opponents.

Australia pushed to be a part of Asia as they were in Oceania and playing against the fucking Solomon Islands and tonking them 17 - 0 or some shit so decided they'd apply to join Asia to have tougher opponents.
Unfortunately that leaves Antarctica as the only half decent team in Oceania, with their team spine made up of Scott, Amundsen and Shackleton

Youngsters To Watch Out For (U-23)

1. Humam Tariq - IRAQ - A playmaker. A joy to watch
  2. Omar Abdulrahman - UAE - playmaker/winger ... was set to sign for Man City but deal collapsed due to work permit issues.
  3. Heung Min-Son - SOUTH KOREA - striker, doing very well at Leverkusen
Known Players To Make An Impact

1. Tim Cahill - OZ
  2. Keisuke Honda - JAPAN
  3. Shinji Okazaki - JAPAN
  4. Nasser Al-Shamrani - SAUDI
  5. Ki Seung-Young - SOUTH KOREA
  6. Reza Ghoochinejad - IRAN
  7. Khalfan Ibrahim - QATAR
Other
  • Favourite - JAPAN
    • Strengths - very confident when playing against Asian opponents. Quality & depth in every position.
    • Weakness - if they don't start with a win they being to breakdown mentally ... as shown by their poor performances at the WC.
  • Surprise Package - QATAR & UAE ... Qatar especially have come a long way over the past few years. Current champions - U19 Asian Cup, West Asia FF Cup, Gulf Cup ... and a quality player in Khalfan Ibrahim leading the side. This tournament might have come a little too early for both sides who have a young playing group. I expect to make very big progress over the next few years.
  • When On Song - IRAN ... if they get their shit together (and that's a massive IF) they can win the tournament. They have quality in the likes of Reza Goochinejad, Ashkan Dejagah, Andranik Teymourian & Javad Nekounam.

Australia losing already. Had the bastards on an accumulator as a sure bet. Early days though.

From what I saw at the WC I think Australia will win as well. Especially considering they are hosting it. Would put money on it.

Australia eventually ran out 4 - 1 winners and played some good football in patches.
Ryan, I completely disagree with you in regards to Mat Ryan. I seem to remember you calling him average at one point. He'll be a fantastic keeper and will get a move to a bigger club sooner rather than later. That save he made was world class, he has excellent distribution and is still only 22.

Australia eventually ran out 4 - 1 winners and played some good football in patches.
Ryan, I completely disagree with you in regards to Mat Ryan. I seem to remember you calling him average at one point. He'll be a fantastic keeper and will get a move to a bigger club sooner rather than later. That save he made was world class, he has excellent distribution and is still only 22.

Yep.

Had a poor World Cup but has been sensational from Club Brugge.

Has it all - shot stopping, distribution, strength ... PSV rumoured to be after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom