• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Atalanta (H) - EL Thursday 8:00pm

Look we have low expectations. It will make it easier. A quick goal or two and it's on.

I really don't mind if we lose. The PL is everything. One more, and the Klopp era will have the appropriate send off.

he just needs these lads to get their arses together, and SCM to stop being midgets

Also Spirit of Shankly need to feck off till it's all over

Spirit of Shankly had fuck all to do with this.

We were going for an undefeated season and people were being fannies then too.
Every team "goes" for an undefeated season. It's nigh on impossible however because of freak results. At that point we were 20 points clear and entering a pandemic. There's a lot of weird mind fucking going on.

Comparing losing 3-0 at home in a European quart final is in no way, shape, or sense comparable to that Watford game. Unless you're literally looking at the results with a shocked face going "BUT NUMBERS SAME"

Every team "goes" for an undefeated season. It's nigh on impossible however because of freak results. At that point we were 20 points clear and entering a pandemic. There's a lot of weird mind fucking going on.

Comparing losing 3-0 at home in a European quart final is in no way, shape, or sense comparable to that Watford game. Unless you're literally looking at the results with a shocked face going "BUT NUMBERS SAME"
We got well beaten, it happens once in a while. The overreaction is amazing. Zero perspective on display. Everyone is shit or not good enough all of a sudden. I mean seriously Wtaf. Not directing that at you in particular but overall it’s way OTT.
We are having an outstanding season considering the overhaul of the team, the fixtures, injuries, Klopp news, poor decisions on the pitch and the cheating City aspect.

We got well beaten, it happens once in a while. The overreaction is amazing. Zero perspective on display. Everyone is shit or not good enough all of a sudden. I mean seriously Wtaf. Not directing that at you in particular but overall it’s way OTT.
We are having an outstanding season considering the overhaul of the team, the fixtures, injuries, Klopp news, poor decisions on the pitch and the cheating City aspect.

See, i disagree that it's over the top. For months we've needed a lot more chances to score, and theres tons of chances that have gone begging. The "overreaction" here is that we played against a team who needed 5 chances and scored 3 goals. This is the inherent risk of our style of play this year. Its fucking annoying that we've narrowly avoided it being an issue until games which we needed to win. United home and away, arsenal home, city home; all games we did enough to win and didn't. Simple one on ones fluffed. awful decision making.

Like, i could understand forgive these at the start of the season, but this far in? and looking worse? No. Thats not what we've done for a long time. We normally finish very strongly. This seems the start of it falling apart and it'll be another season of a missed league due to wastefulness.

The atalanta game, for me, is the culmination of years of being nearly men. This is the fucking year klopp goes, and we meekly go out the FA cup due to wastefulness, we're going out of Europa because of wastefulness, and we're going to finish 2nd or 3rd in the league because of wastefulness.

I don't care how many we've scored. We should have scored another 20 on top of it with the chances we've had. And thats not even me being dramatic. We easily should be looking at another 10 in the league ad 10 across the cups. Like, easy goals as well, not even half chances. Easy fucking goals that you could probably pick nearly any striker from any team in the league and i feel like they'd score it

We lost against Atlanta because we defended poorly, our midfield lost key battle and fullbacks were crap. Don’t see how it was wasteful in attack this time out as the opposition created more chances than us. Hopefully we can improve on this.

We lost against Atlanta because we defended poorly, our midfield lost key battle and fullbacks were crap. Don’t see how it was wasteful in attack this time out as the opposition created more chances than us. Hopefully we can improve on this.

We had 19 shots to their 11, but they got 7 on target compared to our 5. That game shows the crux of the argument i make. What happens when the chances aren't there? What if we're limited to 2 or 3. There's zero belief that we'll score in games like that. Atalanta defended well and created a few chances and scored a lions share of them. Defensively, we were sloppy i agree, but thats par for the course this season. We often gift great chances but Ali or Kellher at times have papered over the cracks. But we still gift them less chances than we usually make for ourselves.

Of the 19 shots, 15 were in the box. 14 of the 19 shots off target or blocked.

xG (however you value the metric) was 2.6. 2.35 from open play.
xGOT of 0.93

xG measures the quality of the chances that a side makes and xGOT builds on this to tells us what a team managed to do with these chances. Essentially, xG is a pre-shot model while xGOT is a post-shot model. We create decent chances, and we just fuck them up

Think about the 1v1 dink/chip that Danns scored for us. Then think about Nunez 1v1 against Atalanta.

Hes good enough to feature. And based on the last 3 performances of our attack, the opportunity cost of experimenting is low because the first choice attackers are missing every fucking chance anyway

Our problem is, in the odd games where our energy drops, the press goes out the window, we're second to every ball and the whole thing collapses. Klopp got the lineup wrong and Nunez (among others) was fucking gash, but despite recent mediocre performances we always have a fuck up in us. The nature of how we play is we take risks, those risks are easily forced into errors when we drop the intensity and become complacent when finishing teams off.

I'd get Bradley back in, Robbo at left back, Trent and Elliott can battle it out for RCM and Jota can spearhead the attack with Salah and Diaz. We lose a bit in height but we'll play better football and create and score more goals.

Last edited:
Our problem is, in the odd games where our energy drops, the press goes our the window, we're second to every ball and the whole thing collapses. Klopp got the lineup wrong and Nunez (among others) was fucking gash, but despite recent mediocre performances we always have a fuck up in us. The nature of how we play is we take risks, those risks are easily forced into errors when we drop the intensity and become complacent when finishing teams off.

I'd get Bradley back in, Robbo at left back, Trent and Elliott can battle it out for RCM and Jota can spearhead the attack with Salah and Diaz. We lose a bit in height but we'll play better football and create and score more goals.
And if we could drop the inversion that would also be great

See, i disagree that it's over the top. For months we've needed a lot more chances to score, and theres tons of chances that have gone begging. The "overreaction" here is that we played against a team who needed 5 chances and scored 3 goals. This is the inherent risk of our style of play this year. Its fucking annoying that we've narrowly avoided it being an issue until games which we needed to win. United home and away, arsenal home, city home; all games we did enough to win and didn't. Simple one on ones fluffed. awful decision making.

Like, i could understand forgive these at the start of the season, but this far in? and looking worse? No. Thats not what we've done for a long time. We normally finish very strongly. This seems the start of it falling apart and it'll be another season of a missed league due to wastefulness.

The atalanta game, for me, is the culmination of years of being nearly men. This is the fucking year klopp goes, and we meekly go out the FA cup due to wastefulness, we're going out of Europa because of wastefulness, and we're going to finish 2nd or 3rd in the league because of wastefulness.
Sport is a confidence game. When we miss a big chance it gives the opposition confidence. This is a part of our game I was banging on about from the start of last season. That’s when Salah and Donkey made up 40% of the top 5 most big opportunities missed. If we are clinical, we go one or two nil up. The opposition lose confidence and we go on to score more. They then just go super deep to prevent a humiliation. Which is what we did half way though Klopp’s tenure.

Every time we have a 4 or 5 vs 2 break these days I know we are going to miss. Happened against Arsenal and the scum TWICE! Had we been playing with prime Salah, Mane and Firmino you just knew we’d score. Had we scored those we’d be in the FA cup semi final and 5 points ahead.

Thursday night is our whole season right there.
We either over turn the scoreline and do what we do best; Stage a fantastic come back, or we just admit that we once again where "Also Ran's".

If we can overturn the 3 goal advantage in Bergamo that Atalanta have over us, then we can once again believe that this was not the end of season it looked like. we will once again believe that we can win the title and Europa league

Sport is a confidence game. When we miss a big chance it gives the opposition confidence. This is a part of our game I was banging on about from the start of last season. That’s when Salah and Donkey made up 40% of the top 5 most big opportunities missed. If we are clinical, we go one or two nil up. The opposition lose confidence and we go on to score more. They then just go super deep to prevent a humiliation. Which is what we did half way though Klopp’s tenure.

Every time we have a 4 or 5 vs 2 break these days I know we are going to miss. Happened against Arsenal and the scum TWICE! Had we been playing with prime Salah, Mane and Firmino you just knew we’d score. Had we scored those we’d be in the FA cup semi final and 5 points ahead.
Let’s add Ket Wig’s one on one miss to the list. Had he slotted that we would’ve gone on to win.

Back
Top Bottom