• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Aurelien Tchouameni

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

Liverpool want Aurelien Tchouameni from AS Monaco, according to reports. The midfielder could trigger a formation change. The Athletic claims Liverpool want Aurelien Tchouameni. The Monaco midfielder is on their shortlist for long-term midfielders, with several current stars facing uncertain futures.

And there’s little doubt that Tchouameni would be a fantastic addition. The 21-year-old has been a revelation for Monaco over the last 18 months, winning Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year, making the Ligue 1 Team of the Year and forcing his way into the France side.

Monaco teammate Cesc Fabregas gave him a glowing review in the summer in amongst numerous transfer reports. “He has the potential to be the complete midfielder,” he wrote. “Modern midfield player.”

And so Liverpool’s interest shouldn’t surprise anyone. The bigger story here is that Tchouameni might force a formation change at Anfield.

If you had to compare Tchouameni to any current Liverpool player, it would be Fabinho. He’s a tall, imposing midfielder who boasts a wonderful ability to break up play. The Frenchman boasts over 2.5 tackles and 2.5 interceptions per game this season, for instance.

And so, what’s the plan? Because Fabinho is the last midfielder who needs replacing and Liverpool only use one sitting player.

We wonder if they’re planning a change, however, by looking at Tchouameni – he could partner the Brazilian. We’re already seeing that change a little. Liverpool are pushing their right-sided midfielder far further forward than they have in recent years.
In fact, we saw Harvey Elliott play that role as an attacking midfielder who dropped into the more traditional midfield three. The left-sided of the trio tends to sit a little more with Fabinho.
And so signing Tchouameni to make this a permanent change could make sense. He’d operate a defensive shield alongside the other ex-Monaco midfielder, allowing for a no.10 in front of them.
It’s the role he plays at Monaco, after all. The principality always play with a sitting two, rather than a three like Liverpool.
It’s what makes the most sense to us. Otherwise, we can’t really see the justification for spending big to sign Tchouameni. His ideal role is already taken at Liverpool – but perhaps they’ll create a new one.

thchou.png

Monaco and France national team DM at 21. Chelsea, United and us are reportedly the most interested so far, but I think it's fair to say almost every big club will want him. The price is likely to be around £50M. A lot will depend on the futures of the likes of Declan Rice, Franck Kessie, Bellingham etc, but he is definitely in the mix among those names and likely to move in the summer. He seems like a proper DM, a bit like Ndidi, but perhaps with a bit more offensive potential. Like the article says, he doesn't seem ideally suited to our system, unless we are looking to replace Fabinho, and I can think of a few other big clubs who have more of a dire need for a player like him, but I do think this is a player to watch.

Last edited:
If we were to sign him we would also have Fabhino and Morton as holding mids which is two too many.

I'll get my coat.

Booo

"Two too many" will refer to Naby and Milner that he will replace.

Last edited:
If we're tweaking our attack long term with a no. 9 like Jota (or even somebody like Adeyemi or David), I think this makes sense.

Our midfield needs a reliable, physical strong CM who can pick up a big defensive workload. Fabinho, Thiago, Tchouameni and Morton will give us 4 CMs capable of playing in the two sitting CM roles. The right-sided CM can then be more offensive minded - Henderson, Keita / Ox, Elliott and Jones should be enough for that position.

I'd expect us to move on at least one of Ox or Keita. Both are out of contract in 2023, it'd be very stupid to give them both extensions. Maybe we'll sell both, but I don't see that as likely.

I think with this change, you can also try and develop Jones as a Grealish or Mason Mount type LW - he's never convinced as a pure CM. That sort of LW doesn't really work with Firmino led false-9 system, where the WFs really need to be the goalscorers, but I think it will work with a no. 9 system. Which would make you think our next attacking target will also be a no. 9 like Adeyemi or David, and not a winger like Diaz or Raphinha.

If we're tweaking our attack long term with a no. 9 like Jota (or even somebody like Adeyemi or David), I think this makes sense.

Our midfield needs a reliable, physical strong CM who can pick up a big defensive workload. Fabinho, Thiago, Tchouameni and Morton will give us 4 CMs capable of playing in the two sitting CM roles. The right-sided CM can then be more offensive minded - Henderson, Keita / Ox, Elliott and Jones should be enough for that position.

I'd expect us to move on at least one of Ox or Keita. Both are out of contract in 2023, it'd be very stupid to give them both extensions. Maybe we'll sell both, but I don't see that as likely.

I think with this change, you can also try and develop Jones as a Grealish or Mason Mount type LW - he's never convinced as a pure CM. That sort of LW doesn't really work with Firmino led false-9 system, where the WFs really need to be the goalscorers, but I think it will work with a no. 9 system. Which would make you think our next attacking target will also be a no. 9 like Adeyemi or David, and not a winger like Diaz or Raphinha.

Actually I think Eillott is exactly that Grealish/Mount/Lallana type you're describing – kind of a hard-working playmaker who can operate centrally or on the wing. I don't think it would work to have 2 of these kind of players at the same time, so IMO Jones will either compete with Elliott for this role or be sold, while the LW will still likely be the Mane/Diaz/Danjouma type. No idea what Klopp is thinking about a post-Firmino #9 role.

My preference for the big midfield signing is still Bellingham – I think he would be absolutely ideal as the #8 next to Fabinho (replacing Thiago eventually). But with so many midfielders potentially leaving or retiring, we will probably need one more.

I wouldn’t rule out McGinn as a target.

One player I'd love us to be looking at is Gabriel Menino. He's kind of like Trent, but can play across midfield and at RB. Smashing prospect, who's still only 21, but made a large number of first team appearances in Brazil already. I think he's going to be the next big Brazilian import into Europe.

One player I'd love us to be looking at is Gabriel Menino. He's kind of like Trent, but can play across midfield and at RB. Smashing prospect, who's still only 21, but made a large number of first team appearances in Brazil already. I think he's going to be the next big Brazilian import into Europe.

Menino would be a fantastic signing. Amazing talent and a 20 mill € fee has been mentioned.
Chelsea are interested. He has played in 7 positions so far in his career.
Him in the Hendo role would be something.

Scouting Time: Gabriel Menino
In this series, we take a look at some of the most interesting young talents in the world of football. Next up is Palmeiras’ 20-year-old versatile talent, Gabriel Menino.

Palmeiras may have sailed through their Libertadores group with ease, but their slightly underwhelming league form saw Vanderlei Luxemburgo lose his job last month. After a protracted search, the team known as Verdão followed the current Brazilian trend of appointing European coaches and brought in Abel Ferreira.

The 41-year-old Portuguese manager comes into a squad stacked with talented youth. From Uruguayan left-back Matias Viña, to wonderkid forward Gabriel Veron, there are a number of exciting prospects which, along with a favorable side of the draw, should bolster Palmeiras’ chances of making a run to at least the semi-finals of the Libertadores.

Perhaps the most interesting young player on Palmeiras books right now comes in the form of Gabriel Menino, whose excellent performances have earned him call-ups to the last two Brazilian national team squads.

Gabriel began his career at Campinas-based side Guarani, before switching to Sao Paulo giants Palmeiras at the age of 16. In his maiden year, he was part of the side that won the U17 Copa do Brasil.

Promoted to the first team less than a year ago, it’s been a whirlwind rise to prominence. Gabriel was a key factor in Palmeiras’ Paulista state championship victory at the start of this year and has swiftly become a regular in both Brasileirão and Libertadores campaigns.

What has been particularly noteworthy is Gabriel’s versatility. Typically a mixed midfielder, Gabriel actually started out as a center-back and this defensive nous, combined with his energy and positional intelligence, has seen him deployed at right-back too.

Whether it be in central midfield, on the wing, or at full-back, Gabriel is a player who gets up and down the pitch and generally likes to be on the front foot. This season he has averaged 9.69 offensive duels per 90, bettered only by teammate Gustavo Scarpa, while his figure for progressive runs (2.67 per 90) is also among the best in his position.

While not necessarily known for his dribbling, Gabriel is posting a solid 4.27 dribbles per 90 minutes so far this season, which again is equally useful when playing wide or centrally and also displays his comfort on the ball.

Boasting a pass completion of 84.4%, Gabriel looks after the ball well and his good range of passing also helps with his flexibility to play in numerous positions. As well as keeping possession in his own third or spraying out long diagonals, he also has the creativity and vision to contribute in the final third in a more attacking midfield role, as shown by the incisive through ball below.

Another facet of Gabriel’s varied passing is his good crossing ability. When operating in wider positions, he can swing in a mean delivery, while his corner kicks have been the source of three of his five assists this year.

Whilst not renowned for his goal-scoring prowess, Gabriel still manages a respectable 1.45 shots per 90 and, though his finishing could be improved, the thunderbolt against Bolivar in the Libertadores shows his ability to launch a potent shot from range.

Returning to the defensive side of his game, Gabriel’s all-action displays show that he thrives without the ball as much as with it. Averaging 8.82 defensive duels in his own third and 6.14 recoveries per 90, it shows Gabriel’s aptitude in breaking up play thanks to his excellent positioning, reading of the game, and ability to press.

It is this defensive solidity paired with an impressive ability on the ball that makes him such an alluring option for Tite as an alternative at right-back for the Seleção.

Rather than have the traditional full-backs bombing forward at all costs, Tite has shifted more towards inverted full-backs, able to contribute as extra midfielders in-field and play a key role in orchestrating attacks more centrally.

Gabriel’s ability to build play from deep, his tactical flexibility and strength in both offensive and defensive duels make him a prime candidate to act as a potential Dani Alves understudy and, one day, maybe replacement.

With our Brazilian contingent including Taffarel, hopefully, we are able to tap into the South American market and sign talents like these.

Yeah, this guy is very in demand so we’ve got no chance unless every other team decide to back out.

Yeah, this guy is very in demand so we’ve got no chance unless every other team decide to back out.

Our only hope is the same was said about Fabinho and we got in nice and early.
Hopefully, if we're genuinely interested and he's a serious MF candidate (preferably one who can stay healthy), then we do something similar

Me after reading this thread:

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

That boy is bound for a team that has cash.
We're busy low-balling arguably the best forward in LFC history out of the club.
We’re hardly low balling. The latest rumours are they have agreed basic salary. It’s the addons which is the final hurdle.

We’re hardly low balling. The latest rumours are they have agreed basic salary. It’s the addons which is the final hurdle.

Come on, Momo. He's not signing. They're dragging negotiations and making it look like they're slowly getting somewhere, so they can say the deal collapsed late on and were forced to sell him. Both sides trying to save face, but both know he's going.

Me after reading this thread:

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

That boy is bound for a team that has cash.
We're busy low-balling arguably the best forward in LFC history out of the club.
I can't imagine an internet world where you look anything like as handsome as Michael Jordan.

Come on, Momo. He's not signing. They're dragging negotiations and making it look like they're slowly getting somewhere, so they can say the deal collapsed late on and were forced to sell him. Both sides trying to save face, but both know he's going.
I’m 70% sure he’s leaving but I doubt he’s being low balled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom