• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Biggest Disappointments XI of the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halmeister

Some sort of pun about having a well known member
Okay... so not quite the worst players of the last 20 years, but ones that you expected and hoped so much more from. There'll be some crossover here, I imagine.

Karius

Clyne
Lovren
Sakho
Moreno

Allen
Aquilani
Keita

Benteke
Carroll
Morientes

Ignore the fact I've got 3 lumbering glaciers up top there for the purpose of this thread.

Dunno how Markovic keeps missing out in these XIs for me, but hey ho.

Here's a few I thought we'd get much more from:

Şahin
Litmanen
Kewell
Keane
Cole
Balotelli
Lallana

I was going to add in Lucas, but I think most knew he'd be shit upfront.

Okay... so not quite the worst players of the last 20 years, but ones that you expected and hoped so much more from. There'll be some crossover here, I imagine.

Karius

Clyne
Lovren
Sakho
Moreno

Allen
Aquilani
Keita

Benteke
Carroll
Morientes

Ignore the fact I've got 3 lumbering glaciers up top there for the purpose of this thread.

I’d put one of Diouf and Cisse instead of Morientes.

Yeah, I expected big things from Cisse actually. Diouf, too, after that world cup. Swap Morientes and Benteke for them two.

Karius

Clyne
Lovren
Sakho
Moreno

Allen
Aquilani
Keita

Benteke
Carroll
Morientes

These threads are always veering close to just a "Shittest Ever XI", but I see you're making an effort.

However, there's also the issue of players who some fans (not all, indeed sometimes not many at all|) expected to be shit, or at least average, or had no really high expectations for, and out if this list Morientes and Allen fit that bill for me. And you could add Balotelli too.

Then there's the players who very few had seen play much, so didn't have an opinion until they actually started for us, and were indeed shit (Aquilani, Karius, Keita, Sakho, Babel, Dossena, Riera, Lucas)

And there's the ones who I thought might be alright, with some reservations, and were much, much worse, or at least a bit disappointing (Carroll, Benteke, Lovren).

Personally, most of the players who I was quite excited about, but failed me utterly, were some time ago - which is probably explained by an increasingly jaded and cynical view, but include:

Stan Collymore (he was great for a season at least)
Paul Ince (what an idiot I am)
Dean Saunders
David James
Christian Ziege
Robbie Keane
John Scales/ Phil Babb/ Neil Ruddock/ Jason McAteer/ Julian Dicks/Piechnik/ Kvarme (basically every defender that Souness and Evans signed, although I recognise Scales was quality for a while)

Mignolet

Arbeloa
Lovren
Coates
Moreno

Kewell
Downing
Joe Cole
Ibe

Ryan Babel
Solanke

Yes, Kewell was one I forgot. So buzzing when we signed him, then sadly we never saw the best of him due to about a dozen injuries.

Not sure anyone rated Ibe, Coates, Cole or Downing that highly though

Yeah, I expected big things from Cisse actually. Diouf, too, after that world cup. Swap Morientes and Benteke for them two.

Cisse, yeah. I actually liked him a bit more than most though.

Sucker for quick players that I am. He did have one decent season, and scored 18 goals or sommat, albeit playing RM

That great world cup in which he scored exactly zero goals

He tore France apart in the opener, right? I remember being a kid and excited he was coming to us. Afterall, we fucked Anelka off for this guy. He was going to be quality, right?

As for your earlier post, I was definitely excited about Keita coming. He looked top quality, and all reports about him seemed to back that up.

Morientes was an important member of a great Real Madrid squad, and coming off the back of a great campaign with Monaco.

Joe Allen had Ryan waxing lyrical (Rolls Royce!) and Rodgers had branded him the Welsh Xavi. I naively got swept up in all the hysteria.

Cisse was a good one. I honestly thought he'd go on to be our Thierry Henry.

No Gonzales yet? He was going to be the pacey winger we had been crying out for, and the answer to all our problems

He tore France apart in the opener, right? I remember being a kid and excited he was coming to us. Afterall, we fucked Anelka off for this guy. He was going to be quality, right?

As for your earlier post, I was definitely excited about Keita coming. He looked top quality, and all reports about him seemed to back that up.

Morientes was an important member of a great Real Madrid squad, and coming off the back of a great campaign with Monaco.

Joe Allen had Ryan waxing lyrical (Rolls Royce!) and Rodgers had branded him the Welsh Xavi. I naively got swept up in all the hysteria.

Cisse was a good one. I honestly thought he'd go on to be our Thierry Henry.

Yeah, he had a good game against France. Still scored no goals. At all.

In fact, he was outscored by that other dopey cunt who played for Senegal, Salif Diao. Who we obviously also signed and was also fucking laughably shit.

I never fancied Morientes. Lumbering fuck.

Yes, Kewell was one I forgot. So buzzing when we signed him, then sadly we never saw the best of him due to about a dozen injuries.

Not sure anyone rated Ibe, Coates, Cole or Downing that highly though
Also Joe Cole was a massive disappointment even if he was on a free

I would add another vote for Pellegrini, not because anyone who wasn't a fucking cretin actually thought he was a good signing, because fucking NOBODY did, but because he gave us one of 6CM's most gloriously shit nicknames (from Oncy, I think)

Pellebastard

He was fucking shit. Him and fucking JOSEMI.

Yeah, free, but what was the wage we offered? £120,000 a week or something retarded.
Yeah couldn't off load the useless tosser because of his high wages. Think when we eventually sent him to some French club on loan we were still pay 2/3 or half of his wages

I'm taking it as those who never lived up to their promise or reputation , and I'm going deep.

Kirkland

Ziege
Ilori
Sakho
Clyne

Joe Allen
Alou Diarra
Aquilani

Kewell
Benteke
Carroll

I'm taking it as those who never lived up to their promise or reputation , and I'm going deep.

Kirkland

Ziege
Ilori
Sakho
Clyne

Joe Allen
Alou Diarra
Aquilani

Kewell
Benteke
Carroll

That's a very fine list, although I'm not sure Andy really had that great a reputation, nor did Joe Allen (ignoring Rodgers) really. No idea about Ilori.

Of course, I like it because you have included one of my very first bete noires - the utterly fucking useless cunt that was Chris Kirkland.

Signed after a gloriously rubbish season with his relegated club Coventry, in a classic case of "busy goalkeeper in a shit defence can make some good saves because he has to make about 30 a match". And sure enough, he did against us, as we fucking murdered them about 4-0 at Anfield, with Heskey running riot. And he made a good save, after letting in 4.

And so Houllier and Liverpool, in a classic bit of utter fuckery, first signed Jerzy Dudek for a record fee, and then broke their own transfer record FOR A PLAYER WHO PLAYS IN THE SAME POSITION - IN THE SAME FUCKING WEEK - and made Kirkland the most expensive goalkeeper in British transfer history.

And he was young! And English! And his fucking Dad put a bet on that he would play for England one day when Chris was in the womb or some shit.

And he was fucking SHITE. And don't get me started on his bad back, or "luck with injuries". The only "luck" involved in his injuries was that he had so many, and therefore didn't play for us very often. Lucky us.

He was slow as fuck. He couldn't kick a ball more than 10 yards. He had all the agility of an arthritic panda. He looked like a goalie, because he was skinny and rangy and gormless, but he was utterly, UTTERLY fucking useless. He had one of the worst shot:save ratios in recorded history; essentially, anything hit at a moderate pace that wasn't directly at him, was a goal.

He dived for shots like a fucking war-time lookout that had been shot out of a fucking tree.

And then we have that derby game. Lee Carsley scoring the winner with a goal that could have been stopped if we'd let someone from the crowd run onto the pitch after he'd hit it, and make the save.

The first Liverpool player I really quite hated because he was just so fucking shit, and everyone seemed blind to just how shit he was, apart from me.

------------------------------Karius-----------------------------------
----Ziege---------Sakho--------------Lovren--------Moreno
-----------------------Şahin--------Aquilani----------------------
-------Cole----------------Kewell-----------Gonzalez--------
-----------------------------Carroll--------------------------------

I dont understand why some of you put Clyne in that list, as a defender he was very good. I remember him filling last season for TAA, in the Man U game and he did not put a foot wrong and Rashford did not get a look in. Before VVD arrived he Clyne was the only decent and consistent defender we had.

I dont understand why some of you put Clyne in that list, as a defender he was very good. I remember him filling last season for TAA, in the Man U game and he did not put a foot wrong and Rashford did not get a look in. Before VVD arrived he Clyne was the only decent and consistent defender we had.

He's 28 and hasn't been good for four years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom