• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Boom bust cycle

It's a pound mate. If it was 10-20 pounds I'd be very understanding and your point would be valid. But it's one pound. Silly outrage.

Almost no-one is not going for the sake of a pound.

I think it's honestly one of the most ridiculous things to come out of a supporters group.

They've last a lot of respect from broader fans I'd argue. They undermined the team somewhat on Thursday too.

And FSG have been modest with increases for years. Plus they've had no CL this year. They're good owners.

Look across the park at the 777 crowd. Look at the last owners we had. Pick your battles.

Again, practically no-one is not going for the sake of one pound.
And to put it into perspective those protesting will now go down the pub and pay £5 a pint, or buy a chocolate bar or a spliff or whatever their fancy, for a lot more than £1-2. Considering the wider price rises in electric, groceries etc this seems to be a crazy hill to die on.

Nor am I, your post invoked "class" in a ludicrous way. I was pointing out that 'class' distinction died a long time ago
Ok so you took exception with how I described the fact that some fans are getting priced out of matches over time.

Strange thing to be disturbed about but fair enough. Class distinction I would say has not died a long time ago but that’s not really the discussion here.

People who say "inflation is 7% so a 2% increase is OK", need also to accept that if prices had tracked inflation since the 80s, we would be paying £5.50* entry. You cant use the inflation argument when you pick & choose to support your position.

* Ok - facilities are better now, so make that £10

You can switch supermarkets, internet or mobile providers but you can't switch football clubs (unless your a fairweather fan which I'm sure none of us on here is).
In my opinion the club are testing the water to see how much fuss is made and how easily they can get away with it. They've shown in the past that when there's pushback from the fans they backtrack. It may not work but it's worth trying.
I understand that, and i in essence agree with the push to stop a raise in prices; but theres a time and a place. As Dreamy says (annoyingly), pick your battles. Kicking off over a tiny increase takes away the impact when there's a bigger increase and another protest. it's about keeping the powder dry for when you need it. This is one of the smallest increases they could do. This isn't like when they tried the furlough scheme (a piss take) or the superleague. This is, as unfortunate as it is, the way that consumerism and capitalism is working and dictating things.

Football hasn't been affordable for years, and it started in the 90s with the rampant profiteering. It would be incredible if costs remained the same, but unfortunately as a planet as a whole, thats not been allowed to happen.

Personally I didnt like the presumption that the increase was trivial and not worth causing a fuss over which may be the case for some on this forum but not neccesarily for others. That was dismissive and it was cetainly arrogant telling me or anyone not to protest

The clubs latest report on revenue was £684 million. An extra 2 million is a drop in the ocean to them and for them to impose this without consultation with fan groups even through the club set up a fan consultation apparatus and then didn't bother to use it is concerning.
How is an extra 2 million going to help us compete with oil states and oligarchs? That doesn't make any sense.
I didn't say they should never raise prices again but twice in consecutive seasons is taking the piss.

I think you may have inadvertently hit upon the real reason for the protest in that bypassing the 'fan consultation apparatus' has caused the self important defenders of the faith to get a bit trembly-lipped and so decide to show the bosses some people power.

Or it could just have been that a bad performance coincided with the protest.

People who say "inflation is 7% so a 2% increase is OK", need also to accept that if prices had tracked inflation since the 80s, we would be paying £5.50* entry. You cant use the inflation argument when you pick & choose to support your position.

* Ok - facilities are better now, so make that £10
Also fair. In another post i referenced the fact it's been fucked since the 90s, and a lot of the pain has already happened. I agree it's such a small increase you'd think they (FSG) wouldn't notice it, and it would be great if it was absorbed. But they had already froze season ticket prices a couple of seasons, and at some point they'd have to increase it.

Its a business at the end of the day and another nail in the coffin. At some point the bubble will burst and a lot of people will just give up and more clubs will fold. The big clubs though won't notice anything for a long time

By the way the reason prices were lower back in the day was because you couldn't attract fans, attendances were lower because one among many reasons was that you had to employ stealth mode when travelling to and from matches in an effort to avoid a kicking. It wasn't fun I tell you. That and the 'facilities' were dire. The only consolation as a Liverpool fan was that we were good then.

By the way the reason prices were lower back in the day was because you couldn't attract fans, attendances were lower because one among many reasons was that you had to employ stealth mode when travelling to and from matches in an effort to avoid a kicking. It wasn't fun I tell you. That and the 'facilities' were dire. The only consolation as a Liverpool fan was that we were good then.
There were times in the 80s, before I had a season ticket, when I had to turn up at 1pm and queue for an hour to be sure to be able to pay in on the gate.

There were times in the 80s, before I had a season ticket, when I had to turn up at 1pm and queue for an hour to be sure to be able to pay in on the gate.
Then had people use the echo to piss in your pocket.

The Echo was too absorbent really, the glossy program was much better though it did cost 60p which was much more than the Echo at the time (18p?)
I'm sure I remember when it was 10p. And the Pink Final. Well ahead of the times.

You can switch supermarkets, internet or mobile providers but you can't switch football clubs (unless your a fairweather fan which I'm sure none of us on here is).
In my opinion the club are testing the water to see how much fuss is made and how easily they can get away with it. They've shown in the past that when there's pushback from the fans they backtrack. It may not work but it's worth trying.
No one argues against ticket prices as a whole..

But how SoS approached this on Thursday, is what gripes... QTR final of a major European Competition. They helped remove the fear factor from anfield..

The only good thing to come out of this, (some would argue it's bad)... Noone will take SoS seriously again..

Their behaviour at times is prime example of why us supporters are labelled as always the victims

They have never really added any value in their quest.. imho. They always allow their ego's and position as a basis to make their own poor decisions. They just like to shout the loudest.

In Germany fans have a share in the clubs.. Imagine these fuckers being involved in day to day activities of the running of the club.

Since the Shankly era, Liverpool exist to win Trophies, and highly regarded as 'Family Unit' as a number 1 priority. That notion and tradition was completely lost on them on Thursday.

They bring the Great name of Shankly the club legend to shame..

The back in day argument makes me laugh..

Didn't the steps to the old kop before the 80's used to be a waterfall of piss. at full time..

Imagine that today.. well if you want £5 ticket prices.. That's what you would get.. lol..

Last edited:
I mean in the grand scheme of things.. Imagine removing a flag of Bill Shankly on a European night. Yep that’s right, 'Spirit of Shankly' supprorted and backed this notion.. Bunch of egotistical dinosaurs.

It's not very Spirit of Shankly is it . ?

Last edited:
Also fair. In another post i referenced the fact it's been fucked since the 90s, and a lot of the pain has already happened. I agree it's such a small increase you'd think they (FSG) wouldn't notice it, and it would be great if it was absorbed. But they had already froze season ticket prices a couple of seasons, and at some point they'd have to increase it.
By the same argument though, the tickets now are actually cheaper than they were several years ago, because the increase in their price has been outstripped by inflation.

I have a great idea. Let them produce some local moonshine/poteen. The club will allow them to use the club name on it for free.

We'll call it "Spirits of Shankly", and all proceeds will go to reducing ticket prices by a pound for everyone?

Same thing for a Halloween fest. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Its flags ffs - anyone would think, from what is said on here, that SOS ordered fans to not support the team.

1) Flags typically don't see the light of day between kick off and full time - but apparently them not being rolled up under a row of seats caused the team to play shite

2) Until a few years ago, flags were not as common as they are now - there used to be specific matches that were called as flag days, but it didn't happen every game. A few years ago one of those godawful self appointed groups (Spion Kop 1906), who probably have connections with the antichrists at SOS, started bringing stacks of flags to Anfield on match days & handing them out. Without them, there would be far fewer flags anyway. Spion Kop 1906 supported the no flag protest

3) No one has yet explained how, if SOS are so out of touch with the normal fan, there were no flags on the Kop. Do you really believe they had heavies on every entrance and confiscated flags from the poor unsuspecting "silent majority"?

Its flags ffs - anyone would think, from what is said on here, that SOS ordered fans to not support the team.

1) Flags typically don't see the light of day between kick off and full time - but apparently them not being rolled up under a row of seats caused the team to play shite

2) Until a few years ago, flags were not as common as they are now - there used to be specific matches that were called as flag days, but it didn't happen every game. A few years ago one of those godawful self appointed groups (Spion Kop 1906), who probably have connections with the antichrists at SOS, started bringing stacks of flags to Anfield on match days & handing them out. Without them, there would be far fewer flags anyway. Spion Kop 1906 supported the no flag protest

3) No one has yet explained how, if SOS are so out of touch with the normal fan, there were no flags on the Kop. Do you really believe they had heavies on every entrance and confiscated flags from the poor unsuspecting "silent majority"?
Yeah even without the protest, the ground was quiet. No one could be arsed it seemed.

It was a move initiated by Spion Kop 1906 that are behind these banners The move was backed by SoS..

It was heavily criticized to take this approach by many fans and right across social media..

A number of reasons for objection, many of which had be already been covered in this thread.

Spion Kop 1906 have also done themselves no favours here..

Imagine being a kid.. First European night.. and then this shit was pulled off.. There would have been many scenarios just like this on Thursday night..

As a parent you would be generally gutted for them, given how much tickets are anyway..

Anyone trying to tell me this didn't affect that atmosphere are completely deluded and kidding themselves. History tells you the 12th man on a big European night is vitally important.

For the fans, the Team, the players on the pitch, the manager, to strike fear in the opposition. Etc etc..

Spion Kop 1906 argument is.. Liverpool sell merchandise on the back of what they do. They truly didn't think this one through, there are other ways to hurt the club at the top that does not impact the Team, players and fans alike .

in the grand scheme of things. It was a absolutely a throw your toys out the pram moment, because they felt the club didn't properly consult them on these price rises.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom