• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Boxing please

Aye. RIP Marvelous. I watched his fight with Sugar Ray Leonard back in the day. It was fucking epic. He lost but only just. A classic fight if ever I saw one. I brute of a fighter and by all accounts a sweet all round good guy.

Those who post in this thread have probably seen it but, in case any of you haven't, watch the first round of his first fight with Thomas "Hitman" Hearns. I bet that's the single most violent round in boxing history.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler RIP.

That fight against Hearns is one of my earliest boxing memories that didn't involve Barry McGuigan or the Rocky movies.

Those who post in this thread have probably seen it but, in case any of you haven't, watch the first round of his first fight with Thomas "Hitman" Hearns. I bet that's the single most violent round in boxing history.

Marvellous Marvin Hagler RIP.

This one in fact. The first round is possibly the best (and brutal) round of boxing I've ever seen.

David Haye's apparently saying today that AJ is much better equipped to cope with Fury than Wilder was, and will knock Fury out if Fury fights him the same way.

Thoughts?

two wildy contrasting styles. Fury may look like a front foot clubber but he has deceptive ring craft. It's will be interesting. I think I'd go with AJ but I'll hold off placing a bet until I see the weigh in. Neither have fought for well over a year so let's see what kind of shape they can get into.

Whyte-v-Povetkin 2 looming up. I called the first one right FWIW. This time I reckon the outcome might be different. Whyte was way ahead before Povetkin got him first time around, and ought to have learned lessons from that fight. You never know for sure but I see him taking this one on a points win.

Last edited:
Whatcha yall think of the upcoming Fury vs Wilder 3 ? I thought that was the most childish and pathetic pressie by Wilder I've ever seen in boxing history. And this the heavyweight division of boxing, not some amateur sideshow.

But then i came across this training vid and you can see Malik drilling some techniques into Wilder, an alleged one-trick pony. Wilder also seems very focused and determined to avenge his defeat, and all these on the back of the tampered gloves cheating claims on Fury.

I think it's gonna be a much closer fight this time round and will go down in fight night history as one of the most dramatic ever. I reckon it'll go the full 12 rounds and both fighters will experience knock-downs.

Personally i'm gonna go with Fury cos i'm a fan, but its gonna be a close one this. Can't wait.

Agree with a fair bit of what you say, but ultimately I see a different outcome. Fury too will be focused and determined, and will have the added incentive of the AJ fight which he will mos def not want to lose out on. Wilder always has a puncher's chance, but I think Fury will stop him again.

My heart tells me Fury will destroy Wilder simply because Fury is by far the better boxer. If Fury goes on an all out attack and tries to finish Wilder in less than 7 rounds as he claims he will do, then Wilder will stand no chance, but you can see Malik already drilling those Mayweather defense moves on Wilder so i think their camp will prepare for what is to come. Now whether they pull it off remains to be seen, cos like what Fury said in the recent presser, a boxer will normally revert back to habit very quickly once the pressure kicks in, and you don't suddenly change habits in a few months of training. Wilder will try to aim for that lethal KO punch, and Fury will have to be quick off the blocks and try to smash Wilder's face within 7 rounds, but if he fails, i think the extra weight-piling will eventually wear Fury down after the 6-7th round, and Wilder will then have his chance. Fury will then have to rely on his boxing skills to outbox a vengeful Wilder.

Well, that's just my analysis.

...which IMO is a very good one. I do think Fury will be on the front foot right from the start and will need to make that count, for the reasons you describe very well. I think he will though, and as he's predicted Round 3 I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's when he'll spark Wilder. I think they call it "leading with your chin". ;)

[article]
UFC legend Anderson Silva stuns Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. to take split decision victory

Silva taunted, broke down and muscled Chavez around the ring to score the upset

Anderson Silva's return to the professional boxing ring was a resounding success as the UFC legend beat former world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. by split decision in Guadalajara, Mexico. The fight was Silva's first trip to the boxing ring since 2005.

The fight started slow, with both men feeling the other out before Silva began to play some of the mind games that defined many of his best moments in his storied UFC career. As Chavez had some early success with his more traditional boxing techniques, Silva began to use awkward timing and angles -- along with a natural size advantage -- to begin to mix clean punching with taunting that seemed to throw Chavez off his game.

Silva continued to get loose, working off the jab and forcing Chavez back into the ropes. Once Silva began to force Chavez backward, Chavez seemed to fade, dropping his workrate while also seeming to tire. Silva kept his foot on the gas, bloodying Chavez above the right eye and taking complete control of the fight. By the end of the eight-round contest, it seemed clear Silva had done more than enough to take the fight on the scorecards, but he did have to survive one final scare as one judge turned in a 77-75 scorecard for Chavez. The other two judges had the same score in favor of Silva, giving him a huge upset victory.

https://www.cbssports.com/boxing/ne...sar-chavez-jr-to-take-split-decision-victory/

[/article]

Hahaha what a legend.

Saw the other day Povetkin retired, all the best to him.

As far as Fury Wilder and AJ Usyk goes, I hope Usyk and Wilder both win for toying around with the fans about getting it on for the past 3-4 years

Yeah, but who really wants to pay to watch a 58 year old that hasn't fought in 20 years against someone that is retired from another sport? I understand watching Mayweather, it's like watching football legends play, but that one last night was ridiculous.

Yeah, but who really wants to pay to watch a 58 year old that hasn't fought in 20 years against someone that is retired from another sport? I understand watching Mayweather, it's like watching football legends play, but that one last night was ridiculous.
You'll be surprised how many idiots would pay. The nostalgia. Seeing iron Mike. Hollyfield. Americans love that shit

He's calling Tyson Fury out - presumably with his fingers firmly crossed behind his back, because Fury would annihilate him.

Anyone seen the Eubank partnership he got going on with Sky?

He's fighting some dud no one's ever heard of in few weeks yet he's been calling out the likes of GGG and Canelo for the best part of 5 years.

Btw RIP to his brother Seb who died at sea last month...the guy only just became a father as well.

Agree, who do you think wouldv'e won that fight 6-7 years ago when they were due to fight?

I'd probably have tipped Haye at the time and got it wrong. The margin might not have been as great as it would be now, but Fury'd have taken him down then too.

Joshua looking in tip top shape and Usyk, unsurprisingly, at his heaviest. I think Joshua will finish it in the 3rd or 8th rounds. He’ll do the same things as against Pulev. Two rounds to get the distance and timing then step it up. Then take a round or two “off” then step it up again. He won’t go rushing in like Ruiz as he’s learnt from it.

It’s going to be a cracking fight and not an entirely a one way thing. Joshua’s power will come through. I think the first real hit on Usyk may put him on the back foot.

Back
Top Bottom