• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brendan Rodgers running out of time as air of resignation engulfs Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the fact that after spending gazillions on strikers he's pinning all his hopes on a crock whose purchase he tried to block in the first place. The nugget.

He didn't try to block the move, Chelsea wanted £17m and he wanted an initial loan to free up funds, he said that at the time. We waited a few months and got him for £5m less. I don't agree that Dempsey would have been a good move, but he wanted to do deals where he would have been able to get both players. I've seen his critics pull this one a few times, when it's well wide of the actual truth. He hasn't always got it right over transfers but he's been given a shitty deal in some instances too.

Why can I never see these? They always come up as 'unsupported media'.
You viewing through tapatalk?

If so it's cos tapatalk doesn't recognise twitter videos. If you hit the tapatalk menu (three dots right hand corner on my android phone) then open in Web browser it should take you to the thread in your browser, go to the last page (it defaults to first page for some reason) & you should be able to see it.

He didn't try to block the move, Chelsea wanted £17m and he wanted an initial loan to free up funds, he said that at the time. We waited a few months and got him for £5m less. I don't agree that Dempsey would have been a good move, but he wanted to do deals where he would have been able to get both players. I've seen his critics pull this one a few times, when it's well wide of the actual truth. He hasn't always got it right over transfers but he's been given a shitty deal in some instances too.

Not that I'm really bothered either way, but seeing as you've repeatedly insisted on the truth of this version: what's the evidence?

Not that I'm really bothered either way, but seeing as you've repeatedly insisted on the truth of this version: what's the evidence?

There was an interview not long after he signed where Rodgers said that we wanted him in the Summer but the asking fee was too high and it meant we couldn't sign anyone else if we bought him outright, which is why we asked for a loan (this was the reason, along with Sturridge's so called bad temperament).

As it happened, the whole indecision screwed us over anyway, Chelsea wouldn't give us a loan deal and the committee vetoed the Dempsey deal (as reiterated by Ayre afterwards), so for 5 months we ended up with no one. Ayre stated that waiting was worth it because we saved £5m in the process, while the Dempsey idea wasn't financially sound because there was no longevity to the deal.

Rodgers said he spoke at length with Sturridge about it being his last big chance to resurrect his career at a big club, but said he had known him as a player since he was 12 years old and had wanted his power and pace upfront.

It's only since the Committee thing has become news and a stick to beat either Rodgers or the club with, that people have chose to take bits of the story to use it against him. He didn't decide against it because he didn't want him, he tried to spread our finances by getting a loan deal. At the time he was right to balk at the £17m fee, he had a perceived bad attitude and had failed to breakthrough at both Chelsea and City.

[article]Chelsea will allow Sturridge to go on loan to Anfield if they can buy Andre Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen.

'I’ve been given as much confidence as I can possibly get that we will have someone to come in,' he said.

'I’ve said all along that I have Luis Suarez and Fabio Borini as front line strikers, and the young lads like Adam Morgan are getting experience, but between now and January I need more than that.

'Hopefully on Friday we can do some work and get something complete because we certainly need it. I am hoping for one or two. We need one, that’s for sure.'

[/article]

[article]Bascombe - Rodgers wanted to make a more thorough assessment of Daniel Sturridge before agreeing a permanent deal[/article]

[article]Rodgers initially tried to bring Sturridge to Anfield on loan in August but the player & Chelsea wanted a permanent move. In the intervening period Rodgers has been left low on options in attack, with Andy Carroll’s loan to West Ham and Fabio Borini’s broken foot leaving Luis Suarez as his only fit striker.[/article]

It's also worth mentioning that in the Summer we tried to buy him, he'd suffered from viral meningitis & hamstring problems.

Why is the word of people with a personal interest in a particular version to be treated as gospel when you're happy enough to write off what a trusted source like Barrett says as 'bullshit'?

It's yet another example of the excuse-ridden chasm between the players Rodgers has supposedly bought and those given to him by the transfer committee.

Sturridge slips between the gap because Rodgers has gone on record as saying he was unsure about him so that looks like it was a TC buy. But then he works out just grand so he becomes a Rodgers buy.

The truth is that it has to be a shared responsibility and the instant one of them disclaims liability is when it falls apart. That is what has happened and trust evaporates. How the hell can those on the TC have any faith in the manager when he absolves himself of blame for signings who don't give him the tools to do his job, when he was an integral part of the process?

There's no way back, it needs a clean sweep

As i said, Sturridge was a target before the transfer committee existed. It just took a long time to get him.

Why is the word of people with a personal interest in a particular version to be treated as gospel when you're happy enough to write off what a trusted source like Barrett says as 'bullshit'?

Do you have some evidence you'd like to share which contradicts the statements Mark has posted?

Do you have some evidence you'd like to share which contradicts the statements Mark has posted?

No. But I don't go round citing things I don't know for sure as facts. And nor do I call foul when others quote reasonably trusted sources in relatively tentative support for their arguments.

I am afraid that while FSG are sitting with the head in the sand, others will react and both Ancelotti and Klopp will be taken shortly.

We don't know that they are. If that's what happens they'll deserve stick, but we're nowhere near knowing that yet.

No. But I don't go round citing things I don't know for sure as facts. And nor do I call foul when others quote reasonably trusted sources in relatively tentative support for their arguments.

There was enough press coverage at the time citing that we wanted him on loan. Theres an interview with Ayre that also states the deal in the Summer for Sturridge wasn't right for everyone at the time, which is why it fell through:

[article]On Sturridge potential move in the Summer, "The issue came down to a particular deal and a particular price or structure to that deal," said Ayre. "And it wasn't right to do it.

"Likewise, the interest in certain other players wasn't right (Dempsey). Sometimes you have to be stronger for the greater good.[/article]

I'd take that over Barrett's "after the event" revisionism, that goes hand in hand with his assessment of who signed who, which has already shown itself to be contradicted by the guy himself. And as far as Bascombe goes, he's far from his days as an ECHO writer in terms of loyalty to the club and he's far from shy of being critical of Rodgers.

Who cares doe.
We got Sturridge. Would it be the first time ever a manager hasnt been sure on a player but signed him and it worked out great?

I've said it before, but this is Roy Evan's mid-90's setup, only with more nauseating dialogue.

The 3-5-2 is there, the all out attack is there, the -this-job-is-too-big-for-me is there, Skrtel's there to act as Neil Ruddock, Phil Babb meet Sakho, and Lovren or Emre Can can cover for John Scales, fucking Moreno doing a Bjornebye at wing-back, and an array of Redknapp's, Barnes', Allen's, Lucases, Henderson's in midfield with zero bite and zero authority, Coutinho in the McManaman role not scoring enough goals for the talent he's got, Sturridge covering Fowler, and the big man alongside him that we should never have bought in Collymore being revisited in the absolute form of Christian Benteke.

I remember when we got Benitez in, started beating Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, AC Milan and the likes fucking REGULARLY as if it were a joke and thinking back to those days of FC Sion, Kuuysi Lahti, Slovan Liberec and Brondby on a Thursday night that Evans' Liverpool made us sit through. Getting fucking obliterated by Europe's C-level slop, and laughing at the memory of it. As Yossi Benayoun took the fucking piss out of Sergio Ramos.

We've managed to go completely full circle. Mid 90's mediocrity, to mid 00's greatness, and now we're back to the start again. And blaming young Joe Gomez for it. "He'll learn" Rodgers had the nerve to say? When will you fucking 'learn' Brendan?

Getting booed off cos you are unable to come close to beating Sion, who are currently the 5th best team in Switzerland, with 4 wins from 10. And "young Joe has to learn from that."

Fuck me.

We all know how this movie ends. With another few mediocre results, and the Manager gone. And rightly so, he's had his shot and blown it. Hopefully by that stage the delusion will be gone with it too, cos he's making me eminently dislike him, and if I'm honest he's not that bad a dude, he's just painfully out of his depth. And he still doesn't know how to tie his fucking tie the right length.

This post has now turned out to be like Rodgers' Liverpool too. Started ok and has gone on too long without any real point. Fuck it, back to hibernation.

I've said it before, but this is Roy Evan's mid-90's setup, only with more nauseating dialogue.

Funny that's the exact same as I explained it last night to a lad at work funny but depressing

The 3-5-2 is there, the all out attack is there, the -this-job-is-too-big-for-me is there, Skrtel's there to act as Neil Ruddock, Phil Babb meet Sakho, and Lovren or Emre Can can cover for John Scales, fucking Moreno doing a Bjornebye at wing-back, and an array of Redknapp's, Barnes', Allen's, Lucases, Henderson's in midfield with zero bite and zero authority, Coutinho in the McManaman role not scoring enough goals for the talent he's got, Sturridge covering Fowler, and the big man alongside him that we should never have bought in Collymore being revisited in the absolute form of Christian Benteke.

I remember when we got Benitez in, started beating Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, AC Milan and the likes fucking REGULARLY as if it were a joke and thinking back to those days of FC Sion, Kuuysi Lahti, Slovan Liberec and Brondby on a Thursday night that Evans' Liverpool made us sit through. Getting fucking obliterated by Europe's C-level slop, and laughing at the memory of it. As Yossi Benayoun took the fucking piss out of Sergio Ramos.

We've managed to go completely full circle. Mid 90's mediocrity, to mid 00's greatness, and now we're back to the start again. And blaming young Joe Gomez for it. "He'll learn" Rodgers had the nerve to say? When will you fucking 'learn' Brendan?

Getting booed off cos you are unable to come close to beating Sion, who are currently the 5th best team in Switzerland, with 4 wins from 10. And "young Joe has to learn from that."

Fuck me.

We all know how this movie ends. With another few mediocre results, and the Manager gone. And rightly so, he's had his shot and blown it. Hopefully by that stage the delusion will be gone with it too, cos he's making me eminently dislike him, and if I'm honest he's not that bad a dude, he's just painfully out of his depth. And he still doesn't know how to tie his fucking tie the right length.

This post has now turned out to be like Rodgers' Liverpool too. Started ok and has gone on too long without any real point. Fuck it, back to hibernation.

Funny that's the exact way i explained it to a lad at work last night funny but depressing to be fair

Good post Ryan.

By the way, that awful creep in The Times, Matt Dickinson, is actually touting Rodgers for the next England manager.

Rodgers is the one with top-level coaching and managerial experience, a record of improving young players, especially English ones. Or, as he once said in one of those quotes that seem to polarise opinion: “My life’s work has been trying to show that British players can play.”

There is a credible amount of evidence. The FA needs only speak to Jordan Henderson, Daniel Sturridge, Nathaniel Clyne, among others, about his coaching calibre.

It can look at that Gerrard book, which does not set out to paint Rodgers as the finished article but, certainly, dispels the misleading notion of the Northern Irishman as a man full of bluster.

I have heard Rodgers expound on his team-building ideas, on tactical theories and, in contrast to many managers, that time was an education.

This is from the same bloke who quite deliberately and cynically set out to wreck Hoddle's managerial career with England in return for his own career being boosted by his carefully-contrived 'scoop'. He must be secretly Scottish.

Dickinson is pond life. I remember once reading extracts from a webchat he gave, and don't think I've ever seen so much pomposity from someone of his (relatively tender) age. Can't help wondering how (or indeed if) his colleagues get on with him.

Dickinson is pond life. I remember once reading extracts from a webchat he gave, and don't think I've ever seen so much pomposity from someone of his (relatively tender) age. Can't help wondering how (or indeed if) his colleagues get on with him.

I remember him as a student. Always a nasty piece of work and utterly cynical.

Rodgers in 2012 "judge me in 3 years" comment.

Today's press conference
"Not for me to judge. As the manager you will always have critics but it's not about me"

I think being made the England manager will suit him fine. He's no worse than Hodgson

The England job can become the graveyard of failed Liverpool managers - doesn't bother me.

Not that I am including Rodgers as failed yet, everything is wonderful lalalal

The whole ex-players in the media conspiracy thing sounds a little desperate, and familiar. Wasn't it Houllier who got all obsessed with the media before he got fired?

I don't think the owners will get rid of Rodgers until they have a replacement lined up, and obviously during the season that is more difficult, so we might have him for a little longer yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom