• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Call M. E. baby

Michael Edwards would want full control to consider Liverpool return​

Liverpool’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, ready to put former sporting director in charge of club as they prepare one final attempt to lure him back to Anfield

new
Paul Joyce
Wednesday February 28 2024, 1.00pm GMT, The Times

Michael Edwards would seek total control of football operations at Liverpool in order to consider coming back to Anfield less than two years after his departure.
Liverpool’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, is set to make one final attempt to persuade their former sporting director to return to the club as part of the post-Jürgen Klopp era.
Edwards, who quit in 2022 after a decade at the club in order to take a break from football, has already turned down one approach from FSG since Klopp told them he was standing down at the end of the season.
There has been no sense that Edwards has been ready to return to football’s coalface, having rejected a number of approaches from other clubs including Chelsea.
Indeed, it would take something significant to turn the head of Edwards, who is a consultant in Ludonautics, the sports advisory business launched last year by Ian Graham, who was Liverpool’s director of research between 2012 and 2023.

FSG’s search for a permanent sporting director has been ongoing since Julian Ward, Edwards’ replacement, stood down in the summer of 2023, with Jörg Schmadtke only a stop-gap. Schmadtke left at the end of January.
There is a realisation at FSG that the profile of the sporting director they were looking for and what they now need has changed. Previously, they were seeking someone to facilitate the needs of Klopp, but now that he is leaving there is a demand for someone to take charge of the whole club during what will be a period of transition. FSG will hope that would appeal to Edwards.

Edwards was viewed by FSG as one of the architects of Liverpool’s renaissance under Klopp with his canny dealings in the transfer market — both in terms of signings and sales — crucial to success at home and abroad.
The fact that FSG, who are holding a partners summit this week in the United States, keep on returning to him also highlights they are unconvinced by other candidates.
It is unusual for FSG’s plans to leak at a time when they are trying to reshape Liverpool with the appointment of a sporting director and Klopp’s successor.
The Bayer Leverkusen head coach Xabi Alonso is the frontrunner although FSG are also likely to interview Rúben Amorim, the Sporting Lisbon coach.
In addition, no meaningful contract talks with players such as Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah, who will all have one year remaining on their deals in the summer, are likely to take place until the appointment of a sporting director.

Well I include managing the first team and the Academy as 2 seperate parts of football operations, there's no way he'd be in control of either.

I don't understand what was so bad about his role previously that would stop him essentially carrying on where he left of unless he wants Hogan's/Gordon's position which I couldn't imagine him wanting?

Surely control of player contracts/recruitment & negotiations/budgeting is all he needs unless he means being involved in kit designs, sponsorship deals, pre season touring etc.

Well I include managing the first team and the Academy as 2 seperate parts of football operations, there's no way he'd be in control of either.

I don't understand what was so bad about his role previously that would stop him essentially carrying on where he left of unless he wants Hogan's/Gordon's position which I couldn't imagine him wanting?

Surely control of player contracts/recruitment & negotiations/budgeting is all he needs unless he means being involved in kit designs, sponsorship deals, pre season touring etc.

Depends. Maybe last time he felt limited by what he could do and wanted to branch out more than what Hogan would let him. Maybe he wants to go more commercial side in other businesses and wants to get that experience in a high profile position.

End of the day, this is a huge gamble to go back as it's a real test of his credentials, and could tarnish his reputation if it goes wrong this time.

I think he probably asked for something outlandish to avoid the job. FSG giving it to him probably wasn't expected, and could be either the making of us or the undoing of him.

Does anyone even know the real reason(s) he left to begin with? I vaguely remember something about a falling out with someone but I didn't really give it too much attention at the time. Too busy milking in those cup wins.

What I don't get is he got his promotion to Sporting Director due to the previous guy leaving, clearly excelled in this department, got his recognition then buggered off. Why wouldn't you be happy to carry that on until a vacancy opened up which allowed you to move up?

Does anyone even know the real reason(s) he left to begin with? I vaguely remember something about a falling out with someone but I didn't really give it too much attention at the time. Too busy milking in those cup wins.

What I don't get is he got his promotion to Sporting Director due to the previous guy leaving, clearly excelled in this department, got his recognition then buggered off. Why wouldn't you be happy to carry that on until a vacancy opened up which allowed you to move up?
I would, but that's why my career is such a regrettable failure.

Everyone else moves jobs every two years. I mean, the fact that this is the discussion, and he has so much leverage if he chooses to take this job (at an astonishing pay bump) is vindication of how he's gone about it.

I would, but that's why my career is such a regrettable failure.

Everyone else moves jobs every two years.
Joins in 2012 as head of Analytics,
2 years later he's Technical Director
2 years after that he's Sporting Director.

That's a great CV. You don't even need a CV for that.

Sporting Director at a club like Liverpool is where 99.9% of people's career journey ends no matter what age you are.

He was clearly recognised and highly thought of at the club.

Dated Feb 2023

Jamie Carragher suggests Henderson theory may be behind Michael Edwards' Liverpool exit

Jamie Carragher has raised questions about the situation surrounding Michael Edwards' departure as Liverpool sporting director, pointing to suggestions of internal disagreements over Jordan Henderson's contract extension in 2021.

Club captain Henderson signed a lengthy extension despite already being 31 at the time.
While admitting reports around the same time concerning Edwards' own future was "probably coincidental" when it came to the timing, former Reds defender Carragher has opened up on worries which he holds to this day.

Edwards' departure was announced in 2021 and he was succeeded by Julian Ward, who is understood to have played a big role in the signing of Luis Diaz among other deals. However, Ward himself is also set to leave Anfield after just a year in his new position.

"Henderson has given Liverpool sterling service, but the length of that contract [four years] was a surprise, contradicting FSG’s policies on players in their 30s," Carragher wrote in his column for The Telegraph. "There was an obvious change of tack after Klopp personally intervened following reports that Henderson might leave. 'We will sort it. No doubt about it,' Klopp said.

"Within 24 hours of an agreement, sporting director Michael Edwards was reported as considering his future, and has since left. The timing was probably coincidental, but there were strong suggestions – not contradicted – that there were internal disagreements about the length and value of Henderson’s extension.

"That worried me at the time and has worried me more when hearing the echoes whenever Klopp speaks about the future of Roberto Firmino and James Milner," Carragher added.
However, he did recognise that other extensions - most notably for Klopp himself and last season's top scorer Mohamed Salah - have not been among those he considers "contentious".

=======

Dated Aug 2023

https://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/threads/fsg.197687/page-3#post-2244916 -->

Untitled.jpg

Dated Feb 2023

(Klopp’s decision to appoint Kornmayer vs. Edwards' bringing in of Phil Jacobsen, which came to a sour end)

Untitled.jpg

I'm guessing Edwards still feels bitter about the way Klopp took over the club and he wants to make a point about it, and also never let it happen again.

You know what, fuck Klopp and fuck Edwards.

Now LFC makes a point, the biggest point of all.

We don't need either to carry on being successful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But really I'm just assuming this isn't a game of point scoring & we can go back to being best friends and sucking each others dicks?

By demanding FULLL CONTROLLL?
To be fair, a Sporting Director should be above the manager in the hierarchy and be able to overrule them. Of course smart ones will also recognize that they have to work hand-in-hand with the manager and will not antagonize him.

This kinda makes sense if FSG are fully committed to the Xabi idea as Klopp's successor. If it goes tits up it seems good to have someone familiar with the setup to have a broader view of what we do next.

Actually if you were to read the full article @the count posted, it sounds more like FSG wanting to use total control to convince Edwards to return, rather than Edwards demanding for it (that tweet in the 2nd post got me :p).

-->
(isn't this speculation rather than confirmation?)
"Michael Edwards would seek total control of football operations at Liverpool in order to consider coming back to Anfield"
"Indeed, it would take something significant to turn the head of Edwards"

(FSG offering total control to Edwards, hoping it will appeal to him?)
"There is a realisation at FSG that the profile of the sporting director they were looking for and what they now need has changed. Previously, they were seeking someone to facilitate the needs of Klopp, but now that he is leaving there is a demand for someone to take charge of the whole club during what will be a period of transition. FSG will hope that would appeal to Edwards."

And, did Fabrizio Romano reported it before Joyce did?

View: https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1762802656135778644

Last edited:

View: https://twitter.com/TheAthleticFC/status/1762894180337012854

Sporting director
The other unanswered question around Liverpool pertains to the sporting director role, which has not been permanently filled since Julian Ward left last summer.

Jorg Schmadtke was hired on a temporary basis but the German left as planned at the end of January.

FSG want the process of appointing a new manager to be led by the incoming sporting director and are keen to make that appointment sooner rather than later. The club are also open to the possibility of scrapping that job title entirely and appointing a football chief executive officer, depending on the candidate’s skillset.

In terms of contenders, The Athletic reported earlier this month that Frederic Massara, the former director of football at AC Milan, and Nice’s Florent Ghisolfi were both admired by FSG.

The candidate that Liverpool’s owners would most like to hire, however, is Michael Edwards — the man who previously served as sporting director until his departure in May 2022.

Edwards is still hugely admired within FSG, which sees him as integral to the club’s recent successes. He was instrumental in negotiating deals for Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane, Andy Robertson, Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho and Alisson, and also managed to secure significant transfer fees for players Klopp had deemed surplus to requirements such as Christian Benteke, Mamadou Sakho and Jordon Ibe.

Speaking to The Athletic in May 2022 shortly before Edwards’ departure, chairman Tom Werner said: “I want to acknowledge Michael’s reign as sporting director. He’s been instrumental. You could point to player after player who was identified before they became superstars. Going back to Mohamed Salah, Michael identified him.

“He’s very quiet about the way he goes about his business but he’s really been critical to our success. We’re competing against clubs who spend massive amounts of money on transfers. One of Michael’s correct strategies once we’ve identified players is making sure there’s an extension of those contracts.”

FSG’s admiration for Edwards was underlined by the fact that Gordon rang him shortly after Klopp announced his impending departure, offering him the chance to either come back to Anfield or take up a senior position with FSG.

Edwards turned down that offer: when he left Liverpool he had told colleagues that he wanted to spend more time with his family, away from the football pressure-cooker. His time is also taken up with helping to run Ludonautics, the sports consultancy he launched alongside Liverpool’s ex-director of research Ian Graham last September.

There has not been a fresh formal approach for Edwards since that phone call, but FSG wants to be absolutely sure that Edwards cannot be persuaded to return before moving onto other targets.

One potential other issue for Edwards is the amount of control he would enjoy at Anfield, given that when he left in 2022, Klopp’s powerbase was expanding. But Liverpool’s structure is certain to change in the post-Klopp era, with the new incoming manager not being granted the same level of authority.

There have been suggestions that the job would be more appealing to Edwards if he was offered a stake in FSG, but the company has only made that allowance for LeBron James and it is unclear whether that kind of offer would be on the table for Edwards.

FSG is conscious that it needs to identify a preferred sporting director quickly — ideally by early March.
It will therefore need to move on from Edwards quickly if it does not achieve a breakthrough.

FSG is mindful that it is imperative for Liverpool’s football leadership structure to be robust before any new manager begins work. The example of Unai Emery at Arsenal is often cited as what can happen if a head coach with no experience of the Premier League — widely considered the hardest league in the world to adapt to quickly — arrives without that infrastructure. Emery lasted just 18 months in north London but has proved since leaving what he can achieve with the necessary support around him.

Klopp would also acknowledge the debt he owes to Gordon, Edwards, Ward (who succeeded Edwards as sporting director), and other key backroom staff such as head of recruitment Dave Fallows and chief scout Barry Hunter. All played key roles in Liverpool’s development and allowed Klopp to focus his energies on the team.

The prevailing view at Liverpool is that it is better to get that structure right rather than appoint Alonso, or another coach, without it. Hence the need to first hire a sporting director who can lead the process of approaching, interviewing and appointing the manager.

Last edited:
Chris Bascombe's version at The Telegraph:

Michael Edwards wants more control at Liverpool before considering shock return

Former Liverpool sporting director Michael Edwards will want more control over football operations before considering a shock return to Anfield as the club’s owner, Fenway Sports Group, retain hope of luring him back.

Edwards has already turned down an approach to rejoin the club he left in 2022. However, so highly regarded is he in the organisation, his name remains top of the wanted list to fill the sporting director vacancy.

One of the tools Liverpool may use to try to convince Edwards is that the parameters of the role will be different in the post-Jürgen Klopp era.

When Edwards and his protege Julian Ward – who spent just a year in the job after replacing Edwards – were in position, Klopp’s growing influence ensured that he was the most powerful voice at the club.

That was apparent with several key contract decisions shortly before Edwards left, when it is understood there were robust discussions behind the scenes about the merits and value of some new deals for older players. Ultimately, Klopp’s power was such that the owners would always back their manager.

Liverpool will be operating in a new world this summer, which means there is an opportunity for the next sporting director to assume more power and control. While that might not be enough to bring Edwards back into the fold, it would be a prerequisite for him to keep a dialogue open before Liverpool give up completely.

There are those that believe it is a lost cause persuading Edwards given he insisted his career as a sporting director ended when he left Liverpool.

Since then he has set up his own consultancy called Ludonautics with Liverpool’s ex-head of research, Ian Graham.

On the company website, that is described as “a sports advisory business dedicated to helping sporting organisations improve their decision making capabilities through access to insightful statistical analysis”.

Despite Liverpool searching for a sporting director and manager, the club indicated they have not enlisted the services of their much-admired ex-employees during the current recruitment process.

But Edwards’ name refuses to go away, and as the months pass the situation will become more urgent.

Liverpool have big-name stars such as Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah and Trent Alexander-Arnold who are in the final 18 months of their contract.

Talks on a new deal for Van Dijk are not anticipated until a new sporting director is in place.

Last edited:
Are we saying Edwards was pushed out by Klopp?
Whats to stop another power struggle between manager and SD? I'd just pay extra to get the SD of BL

Obviously this is a great news. I just hope that he is sensitive to the main coach/manager of the club because they think about the results on the pitch where there is lot of human elements and emotions involved when treating players. Would be great if the new coach and Edward's can work together as a unit without any issues.

By Simon Hughes
3h ago

Since Michael Edwards left Liverpool in 2022, he has rejected multiple attempts to persuade him to return to football.
Some of those opportunities offered more responsibility than he had at Anfield. At Chelsea, following the buyout from Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital, Edwards could have become the club’s most senior administrator. There was also a chance to head the football operation at 777 Partners, which is still trying to buy Everton.
Edwards wasn’t tempted, largely because he wanted to spend time with his family after 11 years at Liverpool and he was enjoying the independence of working as a consultant for Ludonautics, the sports advisory business founded by Ian Graham, Liverpool’s former director of research.
The Athletic reported in January that Edwards was not interested in returning to Liverpool despite being offered the chance by Fenway Sports Group (FSG) president Mike Gordon, shortly after it was announced that Jurgen Klopp was leaving the club at the end of the season.
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Liverpool latest: Amorim and Nagelsmann data appeals, FSG still wants Edwards

Edwards’ position has not changed over the last five weeks and there is no indication that it will. Yet FSG executives — particularly its principal owner, John W Henry — have retained a curious obsession about bringing him back.
Before leaving Liverpool two years ago, Edwards had the title of sporting director and a new role would always have involved a greater scope. FSG is keen for more decisions to come from Liverpool rather than Boston, where the organisation is based.

There has never been any suggestion that Edwards’ reluctance to return has been based on a lack of receiving greater responsibility at Liverpool. The position was always going to be a powerful one — not least because the new sporting director is being charged with leading the search for Klopp’s replacement.
michael-edwards

Michael Edwards, Jurgen Klopp and Mike Gordon (John Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)
FSG is keen to show any new manager they would be supported by a robust leadership structure, avoiding problems like those Unai Emery ran into when he succeeded Arsene Wenger at Arsenal.
Now in charge at Aston Villa, Emery has shown what he can do with the right people behind him.
All of this makes sense, but the strategy also brings risk. Waiting for Edwards to change his mind without doing much to alter his stance seems like a waste of time. After working with him for so long, FSG should know how to motivate him.

From here, the longer Liverpool take to arrive at any decision about the sporting director, the greater the chance they risk missing out on the manager they want to take over from Klopp.
Edwards’ status at Liverpool grew because of his relationship with Gordon. Given the supposed trust that existed between the pair, contact about any future role could have been made earlier than January.
go-deeper
GO DEEPER
Michael Edwards — the visionary behind Liverpool’s remarkable rise

Liverpool had known about Klopp’s departure for almost three months by the time his decision was made public on January 26. Liverpool have also been looking for a permanent sporting director since November 2022, when Julian Ward announced his shock departure.
Jorg Schmadtke temporarily filled the gap, yet FSG knew he would only carry on until the end of January.
The impasse leaves Liverpool looking like they are scrambling around, hoping that something, or someone, falls into place.
There is another possibility — that this is all a smokescreen and that FSG is sewing up a deal for another sporting director while allowing speculation over Edwards to run riot. That cannot be entirely ruled out given that, in football, not everything is always as it seems.
The same applies to the manager. If he has decided to take charge of Liverpool in the summer, it would be in Xabi Alonso’s interests for his future employers to be connected to all sorts of replacements over the next few months. Alonso’s focus is on winning the Bundesliga title for the first time in Bayer Leverkusen’s history — the last thing he needs is the distracting noise generated from questions about the challenge of succeeding Liverpool’s greatest manager this century.
GettyImages-2034027651-scaled-e1709220336296.jpg

Xabi Alonso is the frontrunner to replace Jurgen Klopp (Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images)
If that were the case, it would be in Liverpool’s interests to prioritise the recruitment of a sporting director, letting that pursuit freeze manager talk and take the focus away from Alonso — to some degree, at least.
Maybe such planning grants FSG too much credit. You will hear modern politicians and historical institutions regularly discuss the “optics” of any given situation.
For Liverpool, they do not look very promising.

Back
Top Bottom