• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Carroll - 15m fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Carroll stalls on £15m move to West Ham in hope Newcastle step in

Unwanted at Liverpool, the England striker would take a pay cut to rejoin his boyhood club

Andy Carroll was tonight stalling on a move to West Ham after a £15m fee was agreed with Liverpool, in the hope that Newcastle United enter the race for his signature.

The England forward has again been told he will not have a future at Anfield, despite having three years left on the contract he signed when he moved from Newcastle for £35m in 2011.

Carroll scored seven goals during his season-long loan spell at Upton Park, and proved an important part of Sam Allardyce's side, who gained a top 10 finish in their first season back in the Premier League.

However, the 24-year-old Geordie is still keen on an emotional return to his hometown club and is believed to be holding tight in case they make a move.

The Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, admitted recently Carroll is a player he would love to take back to St James' Park and the club are in the market to buy two forwards after a disappointing season that ended with them fifth-bottom of the table.

Newcastle know they hold a strong position, with the player keen to return and they are also aware of Liverpool's desire to get a sale pushed through quickly in order to strengthen their summer spending plans significantly.

Carroll is on around £90,000 a week at Liverpool; that salary is way beyond Newcastle's budget, although not out of West Ham's salary structure. However, the player's desire to return to the North-east is such that he has intimated to friends he would take a pay cut to become a Newcastle player once more next season.

West Ham's bold move has put the onus back on Newcastle, but they will not be forced into a bidding war, despite a desire to sign the player.
Carroll was desperate to be given a chance by the Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers, last summer to show he could emerge as the player the Anfield club thought they had signed when they paid their record-breaking £35m fee for an English player in the January transfer window of 2011.

Rodgers, though, would not even speak to him and instead a season-long loan was agreed with West Ham. Carroll started his West Ham career well but was again dogged by injuries before putting together a run of games and ending with seven goals from 23 Premier League games.

Allardyce is eager to keep the player at West Ham but the decision is now in Carroll's hands as he waits to see if Newcastle show their hand.
The forward is likely to be unfit for at least another six weeks after picking up a heel injury that will curtail his international progress.

The nine-times capped Carroll was included in Roy Hodgson's England squad for the forthcoming friendlies with the Republic of Ireland and Brazil, but pulled out and will miss another opportunity to stake his claim to be involved in the World Cup qualifiers against Moldova and Ukraine in September.

The form shown by the powerful striker at the end of the season to catch Hodgson's eye was the nearest he has come to replicating the form that persuaded Liverpool to pay so much for his services in the first place.

At the start of the 2011-12 season Carroll had scored nine Premier League goals by November, but he was injured before the shock move to Anfield and never truly found his best form on Merseyside.

There was a desire from Carroll to show his true ability at Anfield but that seems highly unlikely to happen under Rodgers. That the agreement of a fee is now known is a further indication of Liverpool's desire to offload the player.

i suspect this may drag on all summer with him waiting for newcastle and them playing games

And he starts his new season or pre-season with a foot injury, thus missing out on the summer England friendlies. Not that I care much about England, but he seems to be injured so often, and takes a whole lot of time to recover too.

He's worth more imho opinion to the right club.

But 15m isn't the worst deal for us

I think it's already haunted us enough honestly

This. There's always a risk when selling a player to another club in the same division - you can't really decide to sell/not to sell based on that. Rightly or wrongly Rodgers doesn't want him and this deal - if it goes through for the fee being reported - is about as good as we could have hoped for in the circs.

I'm going to look at it that this is +15m as I'm determined to just forget Carroll. Wooo! £15m!

(Hopefully)

It's staggering that Newcastle got a sell on clause when we paid such an exorbitant fee.

Possibly the worst transfer negotiations since Owen to Newcastle.

It's staggering that Newcastle got a sell on clause when we paid such an exorbitant fee.

Possibly the worst transfer negotiations since Owen to Newcastle.

No qualifier necessary, I think its probably the worst transfer ever, certainly the worst in English football

@WHUFC_Updates: West Ham won't withdraw or change their bid for Carroll despite the news about his injury. #WHUFC

The sell on clause hasnt been confirmed either.

If carroll had come through our youth ranks and we were flogging him for 15mill, I'd be over the moon as from a footballing point of view I don't think he's worth anything like that. But when I think that we paid 35mill for him, I just can't stop feeling that we've been ripped off again.
I suppose the easiest way round it is to say that we did a straight swap, torres for suarez (which is a great deal), and now we're getting 15mill of free cash on top! :D

If carroll had come through our youth ranks and we were flogging him for 15mill, I'd be over the moon as from a footballing point of view I don't think he's worth anything like that. But when I think that we paid 35mill for him, I just can't stop feeling that we've been ripped off again.
I suppose the easiest way round it is to say that we did a straight swap, torres for suarez (which is a great deal), and now we're getting 15mill of free cash on top! :D

We're not being ripped off. We grossly overpaid for him and now we're receiving a realistic and decent fee for a player of his calibre.

We're getting a great deal - we paid less than £15m for Sturridge.

As long as we don't agree to something stupid like continuing to pay part of wages (remember when Leeds did that with a few players?), and depending on the amount we have to give to Newcastle, 15 million is a decent enough deal. I didn't expect us to get that for him. I thought he would end up going out on loan again.

I don't think he is as bad as some are making out, and I think it is a shame that it didn't work out for him at Liverpool. A couple of other players improved a lot this season. He might have done the same. However, if the manager doesn't rate him, there is no point really, so best to get rid now

As long as we don't agree to something stupid like continuing to pay part of wages (remember when Leeds did that with a few players?), and depending on the amount we have to give to Newcastle, 15 million is a decent enough deal. I didn't expect us to get that for him. I thought he would end up going out on loan again.

I don't think he is as bad as some are making out, and I think it is a shame that it didn't work out for him at Liverpool. A couple of other players improved a lot this season. He might have done the same. However, if the manager doesn't rate him, there is no point really, so best to get rid now

I think he's a decent player in the right system but as far as we're concerned it doesn't matter whether he goes on to prove that or not. He will never prove anything at Liverpool and therefore we should sell regardless of whether the fee is 2M or 15M. There is no point keeping a player for the sake of it.

@WHUFC_Updates: West Ham won't withdraw or change their bid for Carroll despite the news about his injury. #WHUFC

The sell on clause hasnt been confirmed either.
I think the twenty five percent sell on clause relates to any profit we would make on selling Carroll.
As I cannot imaging anyone being stupid enough to pay £35m for him a second time, Newcastle won't get another penny from the deal

I'm going to look at it that this is +15m as I'm determined to just forget Carroll. Wooo! £15m!

(Hopefully)
THIS! Yes 15M to add to the 20M for the transfer kitty means we already have 35MM to spend (wihoo x 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom