• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Christian goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be a long summer if true...

Not necessarily. Milner and Ings would be good signings - pretty much every one of the reputable Liverpool journalists has said Ings is being signed as a squad player. Milner is a very good player and on a free makes sense. Those two and Depay are the only players that we can assume with any level of certainty we're in for, and all three are good players that would improve us.

They may be good players but worry about our ambition if those 2 are our primary targets.

They wont make up the difference in what we require to be challenging.

We don't have the money to close that gap just by the amount we spend, though. What we have to do is buy as much quality as we possibly can and then get the players we do sign to play above themselves.

Statistically it's a good shout, on paper at least if we're talking about Premiership productivity - fine. We have to factor in whether he suits our play though and I'm not sure it's that much of a necessity when a player like Origi is coming in with the raw attributes plus the pace to play the role well. Benteke is a bit more stationary and if Mario and Lambert are anything to go off, Rodgers will have issues incorporating him.

he's gone beyond the point of one-season wonder. the real question is how much?

18-22m would be good value for a player of his profile.

24 yrs old - proven goal scorer with the potential to make the step up to a big team.

The only real concern is that he thrives off service - he is not going to make goals himself. He also is not a striker who can play up-front by himself in our formation and with our ambitions. PLaying as a target man for a struggling team feeding off scraps and wanting to win by the odd goal is different to what we would expect from him.

As such we would be mad to pay more than 24m max/

Nah, raiding mid-table teams for their standout player(s) season after season means we're not learning our lessons at all. At Villa, Benteke is the big fish-- there is bugger all pressure to win things. At Liverpool, these types of players almost always wilt under the pressure of expectations. Plus he will cost silly money for being "Premier-league proven."

No, thanks, again.

Reactions: C/O
I'm going to get in nice and early with this one.

If we sign Benteke and Rodgers stays he will be a massive flop.

Not suited to our style of play and is prone to goal droughts and loss of confidence.

Two things you cannot afford at a club like Liverpool.

5444.jpg

I like Benteke, he's got a lot in his locker. Pace & Power, Heading ability (which we sorely lack) and shooting prowess, holds the ball up well and is technically adept.

Whether he would suit us I have no idea because I have no idea how we're going to play next season. He would, however, cost the best part of 30M. Lukaku cost Everton 27M and there's your benchmark. Anyone suggesting under 20M is living on another planet.

"Since Sherwood took over" is fairly arbitrary and meaningless period of time as far as we're concerned.

Rodgers has shown a complete inability to set a game-plan up which makes the best use of a physical striker.

As good as Benteke may be, Rodgers isn't the man to get him to step up at a bigger club.

Linked with a 32 mill bid. Also linked with Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

32 mill. That would be insane.

It would, he hasn't had the quickest recovery from his previous injury either, so he's potentially another injury away from us waiting months and months for a main striker to get back to full fitness (again).

£32 million? You're right, insane. Do we ever learn?

Thank goodness the other lot are involved. With the way we are set up, he'll score as many goals as Ings. The chavs and Arsenal have other goalscorers and and can afford a battering ram, and he will likely thrive there.

Do not want.. Under Rodgers.. I just don't see how he would fit into his system.

Under another manager.. maybe..

He will end up at Chelsea.. Perfect back up for Costa

In part his resurgence in form has been with villa playing the long/quick ball over the top.

Not sure how he would fit into our style of play.

I like Benteke, he's got a lot in his locker. Pace & Power, Heading ability (which we sorely lack) and shooting prowess, holds the ball up well and is technically adept.

Whether he would suit us I have no idea because I have no idea how we're going to play next season. He would, however, cost the best part of 30M. Lukaku cost Everton 27M and there's your benchmark. Anyone suggesting under 20M is living on another planet.

Benteke is as techincally adept' as Andy Carroll. He would be a complete misfit alongside the likes of Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic and Lallana, who like to play quick, incisive passes. Our AMs need someone with intelligent movement, equal technical ability and the knowledge of how to play off the defence's shoulder to best exploit their strengths. Benteke is not that player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom