• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed Transfers 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Francisco Trincao - Wolves (loan with option to buy)

[article]Bruno Lage has made Portuguese winger Francisco Trincao his second signing as Wolves head coach.

The exciting 21-year-old joins on a season-long loan from La Liga giants Barcelona, subject to medical and work permit, with Wolves holding an option to make the move permanent in the future.

A full Portugal international, Trincao has played for his country alongside as many as six new Wolves team mates and will now experience the Premier League for the first time.

Despite having youth on his side, Trincao brings European experience to Molineux, having played Europa League football at Braga and appeared in the Champions League at the Nou Camp.

It was at Braga where Trincao was unearthed, enjoying a journey into the first-team alongside Wolves’ Pedro Neto and scoring or assisting 22 goals in his 48 games for the Liga Nos club.

One of those appearances, and his European debut, came at Molineux, as a second-half substitute in the Europa League in September 2019, during a stunning season which catapulted the Portuguese onto the world stage.

A move to Spain followed, and wielded more than 40 appearances and three goals, as well as a first senior international call up, with Trincao playing five times alongside the likes of Rui Patricio and Joao Moutinho.

Technical director Scott Sellars said: “He’s a really exciting player. It’s an area we’d like more competition, in terms of wide players. I think the fans are going to enjoy watching him play, he drives with the ball well and has good creativity.

“We’ve watched him a lot, especially over the last couple of months, so he’s been on our radar for quite a while. He’s got loads of quality – signing for Barcelona from Braga shows what potential he’s got. He’s 21 and has played quite a lot of games in La Liga, so we think he’s ready for the Premier League.

“He’s a player who drifts past people and he has a great change of direction when he’s moving with the ball. He has great speed over two or three yards, to change direction and get away from people, can score and create, and is an exciting player.”

Having played nearly 150 senior matches, Trincao holds an impressive pedigree, and follows a familiar path of Portuguese players to Molineux, which has proved so successful in the past.

“He’s a player who has good experience, a good pedigree in terms of club and international games he’s had, so he’s certainly a player who is going to add quality to the squad.

“We have a large Portuguese contingent, and they look after each other well, but are also integrated in the whole group. They’re really hard-working, with a good mentality, so I’m sure he’ll integrate well and settle in quickly.

“With the manager’s Portuguese background, he knows him and speaks very highly of him, so he’s a player we’re very excited to be bringing to the club.”[/article]

Last edited:
Patrick Vieira - Crystal Palace (Manager)

[article]Crystal Palace Football Club are delighted to confirm the appointment of Patrick Vieira as its new manager for the next three seasons.

Considered one of the best players of his generation, Vieira played an integral part in Arsenal’s domestic success between 1997 and 2005 under Arsene Wenger, winning three Premier League titles and four F.A. Cups. He represented the north London club 396 times, and was named in the Premier League PFA Team of the Year for six consecutive years.

After leaving Arsenal, the midfielder went on to spend a season at Juventus, before securing more silverware at Inter Milan (three Serie A titles and two Supercoppa Italiana cup triumphs) and Manchester City (one F.A. Cup win) where he brought to a close a remarkable playing career in 2011.

On the international stage, Vieira made more than 100 appearances for France over a 12-year period, which included several spells as captain, winning the FIFA World Cup in 1998 and UEFA European Championship in 2000.

Having hung up his boots, Vieira began his transition into coaching at Manchester City’s Academy, embarking on a four-year apprenticeship in management that included a spell managing the club’s Elite Development Squad.

He departed City for the States and the 2016 Major League Soccer season, taking up the managerial position at New York City F.C, who had finished 17th the season prior. He led them to second place in the Eastern Conference in his first season, with the side finishing fourth place overall. The next season, another second place position in the Eastern Conference was secured, and Vieira’s side ended overall league runners-up.

Vieira subsequently returned to France to manage Ligue 1 club Nice in 2018, securing a seventh place finish in his first season - one place higher than their previous campaign. In 2019/20, Vieira’s side placed fifth in a curtailed season, securing a Europa League spot in the process.

Chairman Steve Parish said: “I’m delighted and excited that Patrick has agreed to join Crystal Palace as our manager following successfully learning his trade at the City Group, and experiencing positive managerial spells at New York City and then Nice, who he led to the Europa League.

“We have a lot to do to prepare in the coming weeks and I look forward to working closely with Patrick and Dougie in bringing in some new faces to help us all to a successful season.”

Patrick Vieira said: “I am really excited to have this opportunity to return to the Premier League, and manage this great football club, as we begin a new chapter together.

“It is a project that is really appealing to me, having spoken a lot with the Chairman and Sporting Director about their ambition and plans for the whole club, including the Academy. The club has fantastic foundations in place after many years in the Premier League, and I hope we can make further improvements and continue to drive the club forward.

“I am also very excited to experience the atmosphere the club’s supporters make at Selhurst Park and away from home too, and I know just how important that can be for the team.”[/article]

Leonardo Balerdi - Marseille (€8m)

[article]Leonardo Balerdi has joined Olympique de Marseille on loan from BVB Dortmund last season.

Olympique de Marseille have reached an agreement with Borussia Dortmund for Argentine international defender Leonardo Balerdi.

After passing his medical, Leonardo has signed a five-year contract with the club. He is the third Olympien recruit of this 2021 summer transfer window.

A promising central defender who can also play as a defensive midfielder, Leonardo Balerdi has played for big clubs such as Boca Juniors and Borussia Dortmund and managed to prove himself last season with Olympique de Marseille under the tutelage of Jorge Sampaoli.

The native of Villa Mercedes in Argentina, Balerdi is a solid defender with a precocious talent, having made his first appearance for the prestigious Argentine national team at the age of 20, after having made his debut with the country's U20s. His main assets such as his intelligence, his solidity in ground and aerial duels as well as his quality as a restarter allowed him to impose himself in the Marseille squad last season with 25 games played and 2 goals scored.

Leonardo will use all his technical quality and grinta to help Olympique de Marseille achieve their goals this season.[/article]

Cengiz Ünder - Marseille (loan with option to buy for €12m)

[article]Cengiz Ünder signed for OM on Sunday morning. The attacking midfielder is OM's fourth signing.

Olympique de Marseille have reached an agreement with Italian club AS Roma for the player Cengiz Ünder. After passing his medical, he has signed on loan with an option to buy with les Olympiens. The Turkish international is the fourth Olympic recruit of this 2021 summer transfer window.

Cengiz Ünder was born on 14 July 1997 in Balikesir, in the north-west of Turkey.

After developing with Turkish club Altimordu, he proceeded to the Süperlig and the Europa League with Basaksehir at the age of 19. After a successful season, as a Turkish runner-up and cup finalist, the promising winger, who can play in all the attacking lines of the midfield, joined AS Roma. During 3 seasons in Italy, he played 88 games (including 14 in European competitions) and scored 17 goals with the capital club. Last season he joined Leicester on loan, where he discovered a new league and played 19 games in all competitions with the English club.

Very versatile, Cengiz Ünder is a dynamic winger, technical, adept at playing 1-on-1 with an ability to attack. His qualities have made him one of Turkey's most promising players and, once he has adapted to our environment, he will be able to make his mark in Jorge Sampaoli's squad.[/article]

Marko Dmitrović - Sevilla (free transfer)

[article]Sevilla have reached an agreement with goalkeeper Marko Dmitrovic, who joins the club for the next four seasons.

Dmitrovic, capped 18 times by Serbia at senior level, comes from SD Eibar, where his contract expired on Wednesday 30 June and where he has spent the last four years.
[/article]

Loïc Badé - Rennes (€20m including add ons)

[article]Rennes on Monday confirmed the signing of 21-year-old French central defender Loïc Badé in a major coup that has cost €20m including bonuses.

RC Lens had initially been reticent to sell the talent who was a revelation in 2020/21, setting an initial €30m asking price, but pressures from French football’s financial watchdog, the DNCG, and subsequently being forced into taking out a €20m loan to balance club books for Lens, saw SRFC’s Technical Director Florian Maurice negotiate an excellent deal that sees the Brittany side spent €16.5m to €17m upfront, with the rest in bonuses.

Badé has signed a 5-year contract with his new club and had the following to say on the move:

“I am very happy to sign with Rennes. I am officially Red and Black and it is with great joy. I had other options but my choice was made naturally. I had ambitions. It is a decision that was very thought through. I think it is a good one. It was important to me to confirm my potential in France. The sporting project very quickly excited me. I was convinced by the club’s objectives. They spoke to me. The style of play of the coach also corresponds with me. In 18 months, I have gone from the 5th division to Ligue 1 and Europe with Rennes, that is not negligible. I am aware of that. I need to keep my head on my shoulders and work more. That has been my strength up until now. I must not get my wings burnt. Playing in Europe is an additional step in my career. To be able to play international teams, it played (in my decision-making). There are advantages to arriving at this moment in pre-season. I will have the time to adapt to my new team and create chemistry to be able to succeed in this new squad. I am looking forward to getting to know the Rennes fans and smash everything up at the Roazhon Park.”[/article]

Jocelyn Gourvennec - Lille (Head Coach)

[article]Ligue 1 champions Lille on Monday moved to announce their replacement for Christophe Galtier, who joined OGC Nice last week.

The identity of his replacement has shocked everyone: ex-Bordeaux and Guingamp manager Jocelyn Gourvennec.

Gourvennec returns to management for the first time since May 2019 when he presided over EA Guingamp’s relegation from Ligue 1 after being initially responsible for their meteoric rise and qualification for the Europa League.

The move comes after Laurent Blanc, Lucien Favre and Patrick Vieira all rejected the chance to coach the title-winning side that is expected to largely be dismantled over the summer owing to the club’s murky and precarious financial situation.

Gourvennec signs for 2 years with Les Dogues.[/article]

Enock Mwepu - Brighton (undisclosed fee)

[article]Albion are pleased to confirm the signing of Enock Mwepu from reigning Austrian champions Red Bull Salzburg on a four-year deal, on undisclosed terms.

The 23-year-old becomes Graham Potter's first signing ahead of the 2021/22 Premier League campaign, which will be Albion's fifth consecutive year in the top-flight.

The Albion head coach said, "We're delighted to be able to welcome Enock to the club and are looking forward to working with him.

"He has a great deal of experience for somebody of his age, including Champions League and international football.

"He's primarily a central midfielder, although he is capable of playing in numerous positions, is open-minded, adaptable and very keen to learn and develop.

"He will add competition to our existing options in that area of the squad going into the new season."

Mwepu came through the ranks with NAPSA stars in his homeland, joining Salzburg in 2017.

A Zambian international, he was nicknamed 'The Computer' by Red Bull fans, based on his ability to read the game.

He made 81 league appearances over his four years at the Red Bull Arena, scoring 11 goals and laying on nine assists, while also playing in every one of their Champions League group stage games last season.

Mwepu was also on the scoresheet in this year's OFB-Cup Final, grabbing a goal and an assist in a 3-0 win over Lask.

He has been a regular for the Zambia national team since his debut in September 2017.[/article]

Last edited:
Junior Firpo - Leeds Utd (£12.8m)

[article]
Leeds United are delighted to announce the signing of Junior Firpo.

The Whites have beaten off competition from a number of clubs to secure the services of the 24-year-old, who joins from Spanish outfit FC Barcelona for an undisclosed fee.

Following a period of quarantine and completion of his medical, the full-back signed a four-year deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2025.

Born in the Dominican Republic, Firpo moved to Spain at a young age and made his breakthrough at Real Betis.

Making his first La Liga start in February 2018 in Betis’ 1-0 victory over Deportivo La Coruna, the full-back went on to become a first team regular at the Estadio Benito Villamarin.

Catching the eye during the 2018/19 campaign, with five assists and three goals in his 29 appearances for Betis, Firpo was called into the Spain Under-21 squad and helped them win the 2019 UEFA European Under-21 Championship.

Following the tournament, in August 2019, he was snapped up by Barcelona, signing a five-year deal at the Nou Camp.

Over the past two seasons, he turned out 41 times for Barcelona, helping them win the Copa Del Rey.

Firpo becomes Leeds’ third signing of the summer transfer window and will wear the number 3 shirt during his time at Elland Road.
[/article]

Matteo Guendouzi - Marseille (loan with option to buy for €10m)

[article]Mattéo Guendouzi has signed for Olympique de Marseille on a one-year loan with an option to buy.

Mattéo Guendouzi was born on 14 April, 1999 in Poissy. In 2014, he left the Paris region to join the training centre of FC Lorient. In Brittany, the midfielder played with the youth teams until he joined the First Team. He made his Ligue 1 debut in October 2016 against Nantes. Despite the relegation of the Merlus, he remained with Lorient in 2017-2018 and played 21 games. At the end of the season, he decided to respond favourably to Arsenal's requests. In two seasons in North London, he played 82 games, scored 1 goal and played in the 2019 Europa League final (lost to Chelsea).

His performances with the North London club opened the doors to the French senior team where he was called up twice but never entered the game. With Les Bleus, Mattéo Guendouzi has played for the U18, U19, U20 and U-21 sides.

On the last day of the 2020 transfer window, he was loaned to Hertha Berlin for one season. In the 2020-2021 season, the club from the German capital finished the season in 14th place. He played 24 Bundesliga games with a total of 2 goals and 1 assist.

Mattéo Guendouzi is a modern midfielder, technically strong and with a good passing ability. He is a player of character and has a good vision of the game. These are qualities that he will undoubtedly be able to bring to les Olympeins.[/article]

Juan Castillo - Birmingham (loan)

[article]
BLUES ARE DELIGHTED TO ANNOUNCE THE LOAN SIGNING OF JUAN CASTILLO.

The 21-year-old defender joins the Club from Chelsea on a season-long loan until June 30 2022 (subject to league clearance) and arrives having represented the Netherlands at every age group between Under-15s and Under-20s.

Castillo was signed by the reigning champions of Europe in the summer of 2016 and in his first season at the Bridge forced his way into an academy side that included Mason Mount and Reece James, with the outfit completing an Under-18 Premier League and FA Youth Cup double.

In the Youth Cup, he was a goalscorer at the semi-final stage before keeping the likes of Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden at bay during a 6-2 aggregate victory in the final.

Further success followed for the Dutchman as he earned a second Youth Cup winners medal in 2018, as well as playing in the final of that year’s UEFA Youth League. This coincided with an emergence into Chelsea’s development team and finding the net in a Checkatrade Trophy quarter-final win over Oxford United.

His development continued as the team from the capital were again runners-up in the UEFA Youth League 12 months later.

Ahead of joining Blues, Castillo has gained experience on loan in his homeland. Firstly, with Ajax, where he was mainly involved in their Under-21 side, providing six assists as they finished fourth in the Dutch second division in the 2019-20 season.

He then spent the last campaign split between AZ Alkmaar and ADO Den Haag, making 17 appearances with the latter.

Having chosen the West Midlands as his home for the 2021/22 season, Castillo said:

“I am really pleased to have joined the Club. After speaking with Lee [Bowyer] and Craig [Gardner] it was clear that Blues was the right place to play my football this season.

“The atmosphere around the place is really positive, so it is now a case of working hard during pre-season and being ready for the opening matches.

“The Championship is a really competitive division, and I am looking forward to challenging myself as well as helping the team to achieve its goals.”

Welcome to Blues, Juan!
[/article]

Achraf Hakimi - PSG (€60m + add ons up to €11m)

[article]Paris Saint-Germain is delighted to announce the transfer of Achraf Hakimi. The 22-year-old Morocco right-back, who also has Spanish nationality, signed a five-year contract and is tied the club from the French capital until 30 June 2026.

Born in Madrid, Achraf Hakimi joined the Real Madrid youth academy at seven years of age in 2006. From 2015, he played for the club’s U19 side in the UEFA Youth League (16 matches, 1 goal) before joining the Real Madrid Castilla squad in the Spanish third division for the 2016-17 campaign (28 matches, 1 goal).

The right-back made his first appearances for the first-team a year later, and was a member of the squad that won the UEFA Champions League and the FIFA Club World Cup.

Achraf Hakimi was then loaned for two seasons to Borussia Dortmund where he added a German Super Cup to his list of honours in 2019. In 2020, he joined Inter Milan, making 37 league appearances, scoring seven goals and providing ten assists as the Nerazzurri were crowned Serie A champions.

A Morocco international since 2016, Achraf Hakimi has earned 36 caps (4 goals, 6 assists) and took part in the 2018 World Cup with the Atlas Lions.

“I feel a great sense of pride today, said Achraf Hakimi after signing his contract. After Spain, Germany and Italy, Paris Saint-Germain offers me the chance to discover a new championship with one of the most prestigious clubs in the world. I can’t wait to meet my new teammates, the fans and experience the incredible colour and passion inside the Parc des Princes. I share the same big ambitions as the coaching staff and my teammates and will do everything I can to deliver what is expected of me.”

“We are delighted to welcome Achraf Hakimi to Paris Saint-Germain today, said Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, Chairman and CEO of Paris Saint-Germain. This calibre of signing shows the level of our ambitions – we continue to build something very special. Achraf may only be 22 years old and has already established himself as one of the most talended full-backs in world football – these are the standards we set at the club. I know Achraf will have a fantastic career with us and the whole club wishes him every success in our colours.”
[/article]

Mario Balotelli - Adana Demirspor (free transfer)

[article]
Mario Balotteli has joined Adana Demirspor on a three-year contract, the Turkish side have announced.

The 30-year-old striker was a free agent after leaving Serie B side Monza at the end of his six-month deal there after they narrowly missed out making it into the Italian top-flight for the upcoming season.

But the former Manchester City and Liverpool forward has now joined the 10th club of his career in the form of the Turkish minnows, who have returned to the Super Lig after a 26-year absence.

The club's official Twitter account posted a picture of Balotelli wearing his new side's shirt alongside agent Mino Raiola and Demirspor officials with the caption: 'Today, a transfer that will write its name in the history of our Adana Demirspor with golden letters took place. World Star Mario Balotelli.

'He signed a 3-year official contract with our team. Super Mario will now score goals for the blue-navy blue jersey.'

The move will see Balotelli play in his fourth different country, having already tested himself in his native Italy, England and France throughout his club career.

Demirspor's chairman Murat Sancak also claimed this week that Balotelli has not given up hope of representing his country - who have made it through to the final of Euro 2020 on Sunday - at next year's World Cup in Qatar.

'Balotelli wants to come here to go to the World Cup,' Sancak told A Spor. 'The sponsor will pay half of his salary.

'They say that Balotelli is crazy but nobody has to worry: We are from Adana and we will be able to manage him.'

Balotelli has scored 14 goals in 36 games for his country but has not played for them since appearing for 62 minutes in a Nations League game against Poland in September 2018.

His club career has been colourfu and eventful, having started out at Lumezzane before joining Inter Milan in 2007.

He made 86 appearances in all competitions for them, scoring 28 goals in total and winning three Serie A titles along with the Champions League in the treble-winning season under Jose Mourinho.

Balotelli then joined Manchester City - managed at the time by current Italy boss Roberto Mancini - and went on to the Premier League title and FA Cup and score 30 goals in 80 games.

Two spells at AC Milan came either side of a less fruitful spell in England with Liverpool, for whom he scored just four goals in 28 games across all competitions.

He then moved to Ligue 1 to represent Nice and Marseille before returning to his home country to represent Brescia and Monza.
[/article]

Liam Coyle - Accrington Stanley (free transfer)

[article]
Accrington Stanley have today completed the permanent signing of former Liverpool midfielder Liam Coyle on a one-year contract.

Coyle joined his boyhood club at the age of 10 and made his debut for the club's Under-18s in 2015, despite being just 15-years-old at the time.

Having worked under both Neil Critchley and Steven Gerrard during his time at Liverpool, the 21-year-old also went on to captain the club at various age groups.

Coyle, who is primarily a defensive midfielder, played the first half in yesterday's 3-0 win at Clitheroe and operated as a wing-back for John Coleman's side.

He also received a call-up to a Northern Ireland Under-21s training camp in March 2019.

Liam said: "It feels great to get the deal done, the manager has been superb with me and it's an amazing environment to be in.

"I like to think I do the basics well in that I win my headers and my tackles, and then I like to play forward where possible.

"I've played as a wing-back before, it's not my usual position but I'm happy to put a shift in wherever is needed for the team." [/article]

Joe Hardy - Accrington Stanley (free transfer)

[article]
Accrington Stanley have today completed the permanent signing of former Liverpool striker Joe Hardy on a two-year contract.

The Wirral-born striker began his career with Tranmere Rovers at the age of eight, before joining Manchester City five years later.

He progressed through the ranks at the Etihad Stadium and was a regular goalscorer for the club's Under-18s, with Hardy then departing for Brentford's B team in March 2017.

During his two-and-a-half-year spell in West London, he grabbed an impressive 40 goals in 80 appearances and was voted the the 2018/19 Brentford B Player's Player of the Year.

The 22-year-old then joined Liverpool in January 2020 for an undisclosed fee, before making his professional debut a month later in a 1-0 FA Cup fourth round replay win over Shrewsbury Town.

Hardy becomes Stanley's second signing of the summer from Liverpool, with midfielder Liam Coyle having arrived at the Wham Stadium on Monday.

John Coleman said: "Joe is a goalscorer, he gets himself in the right places at the right time and this is a good chance for him to kick-start his career.

"He had a good move from Brentford to Liverpool and it didn't really materialise for him, but we've got to hope that we can give him the service and he can take them."

Joe said: "I'm really happy to get the deal done and getting this over the line will allow me to kick on with pre-season.

"I was so excited when I heard about the interest from Accrington and it's been really easy to settle in, all the lads are great and I already knew a few of the lads beforehand.

"I like to score goals and find spaces in the box to get my shot off, so I can't wait for the season to start."[/article]

Marseille making lots of moves this transfer window. Didn't realize Roma paid so much for Pau Lopez.

Pau Lopez - Marseille (loan with option to buy for €12m)

[article]As expected, Olympique Marseille have officially agreed terms for Roma goalkeeper Pau Lopez, on loan with option to buy.

The deal was announced by the Ligue 1 side this afternoon.

It is currently pending a medical and Roma have now given Marseille permission to discuss personal terms with the player.

The loan with €12m option to buy will become an obligation once Pau Lopez makes at least 20 competitive appearances for Marseille.

He cost €23.5m to sign from Real Betis in 2019, but failed to make much of an impact at the Stadio Olimpico and went under the knife to resolve a shoulder injury in April.

He is not the only one making that move, as Cengiz Under is also going to Marseille on loan from Roma with option to buy at the end of the season.

Roma will replace Pau Lopez with Portugal international goalkeeper Rui Patricio, who arrives from Wolverhampton Wanderers.[/article]

Thiago Motta - Spezia (Head Coach)

[article]Spezia have officially appointed Thiago Motta as their new coach after losing Vincenzo Italiano to Fiorentina.

The Aquile announced the deal with Italo-Brazilian Thiago Motta this evening.

“I am truly happy to be here and proud of the faith shown in me by the Platek family, Director Pecini and the whole club,” Thiago Motta told the Spezia website after penning a three-year contract.

“I can’t wait to start this new adventure and get to know the Spezia fans, who have always stood out for their passion.

“I want to pass my ideas on to the lads, entertain our fans and give my all every day to achieve the targets we have set ourselves.”

It is only his third genuine management role, after one season with the Paris Saint-Germain youth team in 2018-19, and 10 games on the bench of Serie A side Genoa between October and December 2019.

Spezia had originally extended their contract with Italiano, who had taken them to their first ever promotion to Serie A and secured their top flight status.

However, he negotiated an exit towards Fiorentina and the search began for a replacement, landing on Thiago Motta.

He was announced with a video of him turning around to face the fans and declaring: “Andemo” (let’s go in the local dialect).

President Philip Platek confirms Spezia “evaluated several different candidates, but were struck by the energy, dedication and focus of Thiago Motta, who combines these important values that we share with a football philosophy we hope will make our fans proud.”[/article]

Sandro Tonali - AC Milan (€17M + add ons up to €3M bonus and Giacomo Olzer)

[article]Sandro Tonali admits he had to fight hard to help the Milan loan move become permanent and they’ll see his ‘real growth’ this season.

The midfielder has always been a Rossoneri supporter and was desperate to make the loan move permanent, even taking a pay cut to ensure Brescia and Milan could resolve the differences in their valuation.

He completed the transfer this afternoon, signing a contract to June 2026.

“It would’ve been really difficult to get this transfer completed without wanting it a great deal, so I am happy for me, for Milan and all those who helped it go through. It all ended in the best way,” Tonali told Milan TV.

The club had tried to renegotiate the terms of the option to buy after a disappointing debut season, even though he did make 37 competitive appearances.

“I think playing 37 games for Milan is like 100 in any other team. My real growth will be seen this season. What I lacked was something perhaps the whole team did, which was consistency. We started the season so strong, then slowed down, and at the end pushed hard again, but we and I are ready now.”

Milan qualified for the Champions League after a seven-year absence, but lost Gianluigi Donnarumma and Hakan Calhanoglu as free agents.

“We must do even more than what we achieved so far, all working together in the same direction, that is fundamental,” continued Tonali.

“I have grown up over the last year, both on and off the pitch, and am more mature in every way.”[/article]

That's 4 quality signings (inc. 3 "free" transfers).

Sergio Ramos - PSG (free transfer)

[article]Paris Saint-Germain is delighted to announce the arrival of Sergio Ramos to the squad. The Spanish central defender has signed a two-year contract and is tied to the club from the French capital until 30 June 2023.

Hailing from Camas, Spain, Sergio made his professional debut for Sevilla FC in the 2003-04 season after emerging from the club’s youth academy. A versatile defender capable of playing in the centre or on the right side, he joined Real Madrid in the summer of 2005.

Over the next 16 seasons with Los Merengues, Sergio Ramos became one of the very best defenders in the world, scoring 101 goals in 671 matches in the Spanish capital. Captain of Real Madrid between 2015 and 2021, he helped his side win four UEFA Champions Leagues between 2014 and 2018 and five Liga crowns (2007, 2008, 2012, 2017 and 2020).

With the Spanish national team, Sergio Ramos won the FIFA World Cup in 2010 and two UEFA Euros in 2008 and 2012. A regular captain of La Roja, he is the most-capped Spanish player (and European player) of all time with 180 appearances for his national team (23 goals).

Ranked sixth in the 2017 Ballon d’Or France Football, Sergio Ramos has received numerous individual honours for his performances. He has twice been named UEFA Defender of the Year (2017 and 2018), and has featured no less than 11 times in the FIFA/FIFPro World XI between 2008 and 2020 and was also named in the FIFA World Cup 2010 Team of the Tournament.

"I am very happy to join Paris Saint-Germain, Sergio Ramos revealed after signing his contract. This is a big change in my life, a new challenge and it's a day I will never forget. I am very proud to be a part of this ambitious project, to be a part of this squad with so many great players. Paris Saint-Germain is a club that has already proven itself at the highest level. I want to continue to grow and improve at Paris and help the team to win as many trophies as possible."

"Today, Paris welcomes one of the greatest players of our era. We are delighted to announce that Sergio Ramos has joined us, announced Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, Paris Saint-Germain Chairman and CEO. Sergio is a complete footballer, one of the best defenders in the history of the game. He is a born competitor, a leader and a true professional. His vast experience and ambition is in perfect synergy with those of the club. I am proud to see him in a Paris Saint-Germain jersey and I know our supporters will reserve a fantastic welcome for him."
[/article]

After Ebere Eze, another good pick up from the Championship

Michael Olise - Crystal Palace (£8m)

[article]Crystal Palace have completed the signing of highly-rated teenager Michael Olise from Reading.

Olise, a 19-year-old attacking midfielder, has signed a five-year contract with the club as Palace’s first arrival since Patrick Vieira’s appointment as manager.

The Hammersmith-born teenager moves to south London after a season with Reading that saw him earn seven goals and 12 assists from 46 games.

Olise started his youth career with Chelsea, before joining Manchester City and then Reading, where he worked his way through the system and earned a first-team debut in March 2019, aged just 17. This achievement – and three further senior appearances – secured Olise Reading’s Scholar of the Season Award for 2018/19.

He enjoyed more minutes with the Royals in 19/20 and scored his first professional goal in September 2019 against Barnsley.

But it was in 20/21 where Olise’s name truly came to the fore, with the promising youngster scooping a trio of awards for his impressive performances: EFL Young Player of the Season, and inclusion in the Championship Team of the Season as well as the PFA's Championship Team of the Year.

Internationally, the attacking midfielder has represented France Under-18s in the Toulon Tournament.

Having put pen to paper with the club, Olise said: “It’s a big moment - Premier League football. It’s a great club and I’m very excited to be here. Good players, a good manager, so I’m ready to start.”

Discussing Olise’s arrival, Chairman Steve Parish said: “I’m delighted that Michael has joined us at Crystal Palace. We have been monitoring him extremely closely for an extended period of time, and have been impressed by his consistent performances for Reading at such a young age.

“He clearly has an abundance of talent that I’m sure will excite all of our supporters, and clearly shows our direction of travel for this window.”

Manager Vieira added: “We have the tools in our football club to make him a better player, and we’ve known him quite well because he’s a player the football club have been following for a long time. I think it is important to refresh the squad, to bring some new faces, to bring young talent here, and this is a really good signing for us.”
[/article]

Niklas Dorsch - Augsburg (€7m + add ons up to €1m)

[article]Augsburg have secured the services of former Bayern Munich midfielder Niklas Dorsch, a UEFA U21 Euros winner with Germany this past summer.

Dorsch, who came through the Bayern youth ranks and made one appearance for the club's senior side before moving on to Heidenheim in 2018, spent the 2020/21 season in Belgium with Gent. The 23-year-old has signed a five-year deal.

"We're delighted that Niklas chose us over other clubs, including some playing in UEFA competition," said Augsburg sporting director Stefan Reuter. "With his abilities as a footballer and mentality, he's the perfect fit for the club."

Dorsch started five of the Germany U21s' six matches at the U21 Euros, only missing the quarter-final shoot-out win over Denmark through suspension. The trophy marked his fourth as a pro, after back-to-back DFL Supercups and the 2017/18 Bundesliga at Bayern. He scored on his only senior outing for the record champions in a Bundesliga match against Eintracht Frankfurt, before dropping down a division with Heidenheim.

Dorsch registered three goals and eight assists in 62 Bundesliga 2 matches, and was part of the Heidenheim team that lost the 2020 promotion/ relegation play-off to Werder Bremen on the away-goals rule. The former Nuremberg youth player - who also represented Germany's U15s, 17s, 19s and 20s - turned out 43 times in all competitions for Gent last term, producing four goals and as many assists.

"It was impressive how much effort the people in charge at Augsburg went to," commentated Dorsch. "The chemistry was right from the start, which feels great. The overall package is key. I can't wait to get going at Augsburg and in the Bundesliga."

Having been called up to Germany's Summer Olympics squad, Dorsch is not expected to be available for Augsburg's DFB Cup first-round tie with fifth-tier Griefswald on the weekend 6-9 August. His debut for his new employers will likely follow later in the month, in the Bundesliga.[/article]

Peter Etebo - Watford (loan with option to buy)

[article]
Watford FC is pleased to confirm the signing of Peter Etebo on a season-long loan from Stoke City, with an option to buy.

The box-to-box midfielder, 25, is capped 38 times by Nigeria's senior team, having previously turned out 19 times for the Super Eagles' Under-23s.

Since joining the Potters in June 2018, Etebo has also spent time on loan at Getafe and Galatasaray, appearing in the Europa League for the latter.

Etebo began his career in his home country with Warri Wolves before switching to Portuguese outfit Feirense in 2016.

With Feirense he earned an immediate promotion to the Primeira Liga, then helping the team establish themselves in the top flight.
[/article]

Rayan Ait-Nouri - Wolves (£9.5m + 50% sell on clause)

[article]
Defender Rayan Ait-Nouri has become a permanent Wolves player after an impressive campaign on loan at Molineux last season.

The Frenchman, who signed a five-year-deal with the option of a further 12 months, returns having caught the eye during the 2020/21 season on loan from Angers and becomes Bruno Lage’s third signing as Wolves head coach.

A memorable Molineux debut for Ait-Nouri set him up for a productive season in old gold, as his fine finish opened the scoring in a 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace back in October.

In his 23 games which followed, the 20-year-old displayed a hunger to get forward and provide an attacking threat, while continuing to develop defensively, both as a left-back and left-wing-back.

Ait-Nouri follows Yerson Mosquera and Francisco Trincao through the Molineux doors under Lage, and will remain part of the old gold set-up until 2026.

On the deal, technical director Scott Sellars said: “We think Rayan is a great signing for the football club. He proved last season that he’s a very talented player, with lots of potential – I thought he did well and kicked on towards the end of the season. He’s a player who is only going to get better, he’s a good boy, who works hard, and settled in well here.

“We’ve used the loan before buying approach well in the past, with people like Jonny and Raul [Jimenez]. I think it’s a great way for both parties to get to know each other, to see if they can adapt and enjoy English football, and we get a chance to have a look first, and see if a deal can be done.

“In Rayan’s case, he got a lot of minutes because both Jonny and Marcal suffered injury problems last season, so he had lots of games in the Premier League to show his quality.

“At his age, he’s got a lot to learn still, a lot of work on, and I’m sure with us he’ll develop. He has great quality going forward, we all remember his goal on his debut, so he’s got a lot going for him, as well as areas to develop, like all players.”

[/article]

Ruben Vinagre - Sporting CP (loan with option to buy for £8.5m)

[article]Defender Ruben Vinagre has joined Sporting CP on a season long loan, with the Portuguese club holding the option to acquire the player next summer on a permanent basis.
The move is the Portuguese’s third loan spell away from Molineux, after he spent the 2020/21 season at Olympiacos and Famalicao.

In Wolves colours, the 21-year-old has played 70 times in the West Midlands, scoring goals against Burton Albion in the Championship, and Crusaders and FC Pyunik in the Europa League.

Now, he returns to his home nation to link up with the Liga Nos champions ahead of their 2021/22 campaign.[/article]

Joshua King - Watford (free transfer)

[article]Watford FC is delighted to confirm the signature of striker Joshua King.

The Norway international has agreed a two-year contract with a club option for a further season.

The experienced forward, aged 29, completed last season at Everton and prior to that spent a goal-laden six campaigns with AFC Bournemouth following a two-year stint at Blackburn Rovers.

King's medical will complete during this weekend and he'll link straight up with Hornets' first-team training next week.[/article]

Nuno Tavares - Arsenal (€8m + add ons)

[article]Nuno Tavares has joined us from Benfica on a long-term contract.

The 21-year-old defender developed through the Benfica youth system, making his Benfica B debut in October 2018, before progressing into the first team squad. He made his first-team debut in the Portuguese Super Cup win over Sporting Lisbon in August 2019.

Over the past two seasons, the Portugal Under-21 international - who is predominantly a left-sided defender - made 25 appearances for Benfica. He was in the matchday squad for both matches we played against them in last season’s Europa League last-32, coming on as a late substitute in the second leg.

Technical director Edu said: “Nuno is a talented young player who was wanted by a number of clubs across Europe. He will provide strong back-up in the left-back position. We look forward to him growing and developing with us and becoming an important member of the first-team squad.”

Manager Mikel Arteta said: “We welcome Nuno to the club. He is a young player with great promise who has developed very well with Benfica in recent seasons and has also shown his quality by being part of Portugal Under-21s. Nuno’s arrival will give the squad extra strength and options in defence, particularly with this energy on the left side of the pitch. We look forward to Nuno’s arrival soon, his integration into the Arsenal family and playing in front of our fantastic supporters.”

The young defender will join up with his new team-mates in the coming days after he has travelled from Portugal and completed the current isolation regulations for international arrivals into the UK. Nuno will wear the number 20 shirt.
[/article]

Rafael Santos Borré - Eintracht Frankfurt (free transfer)

[article]
Eintracht Frankfurt have another new signing for the upcoming 2021/22 season after agreeing a contract valid until 30 June 2025 with Rafael Santos Borré. The centre-forward arrives after four years at Club Atlético River Plate, where his contract expired on 30 June, allowing the 25-year-old to move to Frankfurt on a free transfer.

It will be Borré's third club in Europe, the 1.74m striker having previously been at Atlético de Madrid between 2015 and 2017, during which he also had stints on loan at former club Deportivo Cali and Villarreal CF.

Borré is currently participating at the Copa América with Colombia in Brazil.

The Barranquilla native finally made his professional breakthrough in Buenos Aires, where he registered 56 goals and 18 assists in 149 competitive games for River Plate. The right-footer's greatest success to date was winning the 2018 Copa Libertadores, the South American equivalent of the UEFA Champions League. He also played a significant role in the team's triumphs in the Argentinian cup and the 2019 South American Supercup.

Borré is an old-fashioned striker who comes alive in the box and is clinical in front of goal, often shooting with his first touch. Moreover, the powerful Colombia international reads the game well and has explosive acceleration.

Borré is currently participating at the Copa América with his national team in Brazil, where Los Cafeteros face Argentina in the semi-finals on 7 July. The forward's arrival in Frankfurt depends on how far Colombia progress at the tournament.

“Rafael Santos Borré is a very interesting player who has already gained experience in European club football,” said Eintracht board member for sport, Markus Krösche. “His goalscoring instinct and eye for goal will help us. We're happy to have signed an international-calibre player. Both in sporting and financial terms it's a very good transfer for us.”
[/article]

Enrique Herrero García - Eintracht Frankfurt (undisclosed fee)

Jesper Lindström - Eintracht Frankfurt (reportedly €7m)

[article]Eintracht Frankfurt have continued to build for the 2021/22 campaign by signing attacking midfielder Jesper Lindstrom from Danish champions Brondby.

The 21-year-old, hugely influential for his club last season and capped once by Denmark at senior level, has signed a five-year contract with the Eagles.

“Jesper Lindström will bring so, so much to our game and his qualities are certainly going to be a great help to the club,” said Eintracht board member Markus Krösche. “He is quick and he has shown in Denmark that he has enormous potential. He will give us more options and more variety.”

Lindstrom made his debut for Brondby as an 18-year-old and has been a first-team regular in each of the past two seasons.

In 2020/21 he helped his first professional club become Danish champions for the first time in 16 years, finishing with an impressive 10 goals and 12 assists in 29 Superliga matches. He was the Danish top flight's Player of the Month in November 2020, and he also won three Young Player of the Month prizes last season.

He has a total of 65 appearances to his name at club level, scoring 15 goals and assisting another 15.

Lindstrom made his senior debut for Denmark against Sweden in November 2020, but was not part of the squad that reached the semi-finals of this summer's UEFA Euro 2020. He was, however, in the Danish U21 side that lost on penalties against eventual champions Germany in the quarter-finals of the European Under-21 Championship on 31 May.

While Eintracht recently lost last season's 28-goal striker Andre Silva to RB Leipzig, Lindstrom is the latest in a growing list of fresh attacking recruits that new coach Oliver Glasner will have at his disposal. Colombia forward Rafael Santos Borre joined after leaving Argentine giants River Plate, while Spanish teenager Fabio Blanco has arrived from Valencia.[/article]

Think he'll do better than Joao Felix.

Rodrigo de Paul - Atletico Madrid (€35m)

[article]Atletico Madrid have officially announced the signing of Udinese playmaker Rodrigo de Paul.

The Argentine midfielder captained the Friuli to 14th in 2020-21 but he was constantly being linked with a move away from Dacia Arena.

De Paul was targeted by Premier League clubs and rivals in Serie A, but ultimately ended up signing with Atleti in La Liga.

Los Rojiblancos have now announced the €35m signing and De Paul arrives in the Spanish capital on a deal until June 2026.

The 27-year-old arrived in Udine from Valencia in July 2016 and has since played 184 competitive games with the Bianconeri, scoring 34 goals and contributing 36 assists in the process.[/article]

Last edited:
Pierre Lees-Melou - Norwich (€6m)

[article]Norwich City have completed the signing of French midfielder Pierre Lees-Melou from OGC Nice for an undisclosed fee.

Lees-Melou, who was vice-captain at Nice, has signed a three-year contract through to the summer of 2024.

The 28-year-old central midfielder arrives in Norfolk with an abundance of top-flight experience in France.

Across spells with Dijon FCO and Nice, Lees-Melou has 150 Ligue 1 appearances to his name, as well as experience in the Europa League and Champions League.

Over the course of 2020/21 season, Lees-Melou captained the Nice side on 16 occasions, making a total of 33 appearances in all competitions, scoring five goals.

Speaking to canaries.co.uk, Lees-Melou said: “I’m very excited to join Norwich City and discover my new future with the club and its fans. I can’t wait to play football in Norwich colours.

“I spoke with Daniel [Farke] and Stuart [Webber]. We had a very long conversation about football and the vision for the team. I’ve heard a lot about how Norwich plays football in the right manner and style and also the club’s spirit and mentality. I love that and that got me very excited.

“I also spoke with Morgan Schneiderlin and Yoann Barbet about football in England. They spoke very highly of Norwich and the club’s position and standing.

“I appreciate the opportunity in this club and wanted to get the move sorted and start quickly. I’m excited to discover a new country, language and play in the biggest league in the world.”

Norwich City head coach Daniel Farke said: “We’re delighted to have been able to sign a player like Pierre. There are a lot of things to like about him and his football qualities.

“He’s a really good technical player and is very good with the ball. He also has the physical ability every game to cover lots of ground and can play many positions and roles.

“His CV, age and experience are very good. He has played for a big club in Nice, in pressure situations with some talented players. He has played a lot of football in recent years, so is in a good rhythm and full of confidence.

“We think Pierre will help us in the Premier League. He has a great character and personality. It is not a coincidence and is always a good sign when a player is allowed to wear the captain’s armband at such a big club like Nice.

“In our communication we all got the feeling that he is desperate to come to Norwich. He’s an intelligent and humble guy and is greedy to work and improve on this level.”[/article]

Maty Ryan - Real Sociedad (free transfer)

[article]Maty Ryan is set to return to Spain, signing a two-year deal with La Liga side Real Sociedad.
The Socceroos goalkeeper has spent the last four years contracted to English club Bright & Hove Albion, which included over 100 Premier League appearances and a dream loan stint with his boyhood club Arsenal at the back-end of last season.

Ryan, 29, moved to Brighton from Spanish outfit Valencia for a then-club record fee back in 2017, and is now set to return to La Liga with Basque-based side Real Sociedad.

Los Txuri-Urdin are a historic club with a strong fanbase, and following a fifth-placed finish in the league last season, will play in the 2021-22 Europa League.

The club confirmed Ryan's deal extends until the end of the 2022-23 season, with an option of one extra year.

“Very happy to be part of a great club such as Real Sociedad. Looking forward to meeting my new team-mates,” Ryan said on Twitter.

Ryan is proficient in speaking Spanish following his time with Valencia, and told the club in an interview that he is ready to, "work hard and compete to achieve ambitious goals."

[/article]

Ismail Jakobs - Monaco (€6.5m)

[article]AS Monaco are pleased to announce the signing of the U-21 German international Ismail Jakobs!
The quick and agile player, who can play up and down the left flank, who came through the academy at his hometown club, FC Cologne, has signed a five-year contract, joining the Rouge et Blanc through June 2026.

Ismail Jakobs, who won the European U21 championship this summer, has made 47 official appearances (4 goals, 4 assists) for FC Cologne, who he joined in 2012 at the age of 13, before signing his first professional contract seven years later, making his top flight debut in the same year. Ismail Jakobs made his Bundesliga debut on 8 November 2019 against Hoffenheim. A month later, he scored his first goal in a win over Eintracht Frankfurt, before being voted the German league’s Young Player of the Month.

Following a first successful season (20 games, 2 goals), Ismail Jakobs built on that in his second full season with FC Cologne, playing 27 matches and scoring two goals. A German -U21 international since September 2020, the left-footed player, who will turn 22 on 17 August, has earned nine caps for his country. On 6 June, he won the U-21 European Championships, having beaten Portugal in the final (1-0).

Oleg Petrov, Vice President and CEO
“We are pleased to welcome Ismail Jakobs to AS Monaco. Ismail has made a very promising start in the Bundesliga, where he was closely watched. We are convinced that he will find here the conditions necessary to continue his development, while bringing his talent and adding competition to Niko’s squad.”

Paul Mitchell, Sporting Director
“In this particular transfer window, our aim is to add quality and the type of profiles which can challenge what is already a strong squad, while continuing to enhance the team’s dynamism and laying a foundation for consistent success over the seasons to come. The signing of Ismail is part of this desire to add the types of players who can bring quality that will improve the squad, while hewing to our organizational strategy to enhance AS Monaco’s future. Ismail is able to play in several positions and has shown a maturity in his performances which is well above his age in a very demanding league as well as being a key part of a very successful German U=21 national team. We welcome him!”

Ismail Jakobs
“I am very proud to sign for AS Monaco, a prestigious club which is coming off a very good season, with the prospect of playing in the Champions League. I am very motivated for this new challenge, which I am taking on thanks to my work and my determination. I am looking forward to joining what is a quality squad, where I hope to learn, progress and also contribute all I can.”[/article]

Rui Patricio - Roma (£10.25m)

[article]Wolves can confirm Rui Patricio has joined Serie A outfit Roma for an undisclosed fee.
The move to Italy marks the end of the Portuguese goalkeeper’s three-year stint at Wolves, having played an important role in helping the club achieve their most successful top-flight seasons for 40 years.

Since moving to Molineux following the club’s promotion to the Premier League, Patricio made more than 135 appearances between the sticks and kept 37 clean sheets on the way to earning successive seventh place finishes, which brought a return of European football to the Black Country.

Patricio was almost an ever-present in the Wolves goal for the past three seasons, playing every minute of the club’s 2019/20 Premier League campaign, while making 10 outings in the run to the Europa League quarter-finals that same season.

While at Wolves, Patricio also helped his country claim the inaugural UEFA Nations League title.

Wolves technical director Scott Sellars said: “We would all like to thank Rui for everything he has done for Wolves during the past three seasons.

“He has been part of the best years of the club’s recent history, in terms of the success we have had, coming to us when we were newly promoted and helping the club to achieve two seventh place finishes.

“He’s been a fantastic servant to the club, but it’s a fantastic opportunity for him to experience a new club in a new league, and a good move for everybody involved.

“We certainly wish him the very best of luck at Roma.”[/article]

Boulaye Dia - Villarreal (€12m)

[article]Villarreal have completed the signing of Senegalese international striker Boulaye Dia from French club Stade Reims.

Dia hit an impressive 16 goals across 37 appearances for the Ligue 1 club last term and had reportedly been wanted across a host of European clubs.

English Premier League club West Ham United were said by The Athletic to be interested in a deal for the striker, but he will instead move to Spain.

The Yellow Submarine are preparing for the new campaign and they will be competing in the Champions League next season having landed the Europa League title last time out.

Juan Foyth has joined the club on a permanent basis from Tottenham while defender Aissa Mandi arrived on a free transfer from Real Betis.

Dia is expected to replace Carlos Bacca in Unai Emery‘s starting XI plans for the upcoming season after the Colombian international opted to leave on a free transfer in June.

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom