• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Confirmed Transfers 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liel Abada - Celtic (reportedly €4m)

[article]
Celtic are delighted to announce the signing of Liel Abada on a five-year deal from Maccabi Petah Tikva subject to international clearance. The highly-rated Israeli international midfielder completed his move today (Wednesday) at Celtic Park.

Abada’s performances for his club last season earned him a call up to the senior Israeli squad and attracted interest from major European clubs.

The 19-year-old has predominantly played on the right-wing however, he was deployed as a centre forward on occasion in the latter half of last season which resulted in him scoring four goals in seven games for Maccabi Petah Tikva.

Abada came through the youth ranks at his hometown team Maccabi Petah Tikva and made his first-team debut with the club in January 2019 aged 17. He has gone on to make a total of 76 appearances for the Israeli club, scoring 20 goals along the way.

The teenage winger earned his first cap for the Israeli national side in June in a 3-1 win against Montenegro. That came off the back of an impressive 2020/21 season for Maccabi Petah Tikva in which he scored 13 goals in 38 appearances.

Abada is the third new arrival at Celtic under Ange Postecoglou following on from Liam Shaw and Osaze Urhoghide.
He is expected to begin training with his Celtic teammates on Friday (July 16th) when they return to Lennoxtown after Wednesday night’s game against Bristol City.
[/article]

Gianluigi Donnarumma - PSG (free transfer)

[article]Paris Saint-Germain is delighted to announce that Gianluigi Donnarumma has joined the club. The Italian goalkeeper has signed a five-year contract until 30 June 2026.

The 22-year-old Italy international joins Paris Saint-Germain from AC Milan, where he started out in 2013.
Early in his career the Italian goalkeeper made a name for himself with Italy’s U17s at the 2015 UEFA European Under-17 Championship and was voted player of the tournament.

His performances opened the doors to Milan’s first team in the 2015/2016 season. During his six seasons with the Rossoneri, the Naples-born shotstopper made 215 Serie A appearances along with 16 Europa League matches and 12 Italian Cup matches (including the 2016 and 2018 finals).

A precocious talent, Gianluigi Donnarumma made his first team debut for the Azzurri at the age of 17 against France. A recent UEFA Euro 2020 winner with Italy, the goalkeeper shone in the penalty shoot-out against Spain in the semi-final and England in the final and was voted UEFA’s Euro 2020 player of the tournament.

Gianluigi Donnarumma said: "I am delighted to be part of this huge club. I feel ready to take on this new challenge and continue to grow here. With Paris, I want to win as much as possible and to bring joy to the supporters."

PSG Chairman and CEO Nasser Al-Khelaifi said: “We are delighted to welcome Gianluigi Donnarumma to Paris Saint-Germain. We congratulate him on his UEFA EURO 2020 success and winning Player of the Tournament.

I know Gianluigi will receive a warm Parisian welcome from everyone at the club, including his teammates, our staff and all the supporters.”[/article]

Ryan Bertrand - Leicester (free transfer)

[article]
Experienced left-back Ryan Bertrand has signed for Leicester City Football Club on a two-year deal, keeping him at King Power Stadium until at least 2023.

The 31-year-old joins the Foxes on a free transfer after seven seasons with Southampton, where he made 240 appearances in all competitions.

An England international with 19 caps, Bertrand made his top-flight debut as a Chelsea player, where he would help the team lift the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and Emirates FA Cup.

Speaking to LCFC.com, he said: “I’m really happy to be here; joining Leicester really complemented my inner ambitions and what I still want to achieve in my career.

“Leicester have built something amazing over the years, especially since Brendan Rodgers has come in. It’s fantastic to be a part of this fantastic club and I’m going to give my all to try and do the fans proud.”

Born in Southwark in London, Bertrand joined Gillingham at the age of nine and progressed through their youth system, before signing for Chelsea in 2005.

He spent his first four-and-a-half seasons on loan at AFC Bournemouth, Oldham Athletic, Norwich City, Reading and Nottingham Forest, before making his Premier League debut for Chelsea in April 2011 - a 3-1 win against Birmingham City.

The following campaign, he made 15 appearances for the West London side in all competitions, becoming the first player in the UEFA Champions League era to make his debut in the final. He helped Chelsea to a 4-3 penalty shootout win over Bayern Munich, securing his second major trophy, after the Blues won the FA Cup a week earlier.

In 2012/13, he featured for The Blues 37 times, scoring once, in a season that saw him secure earn a third major title, the UEFA Europa League, after Chelsea beat Benfica 2-1 in Amsterdam - with Bertrand making eight appearances in the run to the final.

Bertrand spent the majority of the 2013/14 campaign on loan at Aston Villa, before a loan spell at Southampton the following year that was made permanent midway through the season.

Including his initial loan spell, he made 240 appearances for The Saints in all competitions, scoring eight goals and was also named in the PFA Team of the Year in 2015.

On the international stage, he has represented England at every youth level from the under-17s and made his senior debut in a friendly against Italy in August 2012. He has 19 caps to his name and was part of the squad for UEFA EURO 2016.

Bertrand now links up with his Leicester City teammates as they prepare for their third full Premier League campaign under manager Brendan Rodgers.
[/article]

Felipe Anderson - Lazio (€3m + 50% of future sales)

[article]West Ham United can confirm that it has agreed a deal for Felipe Anderson to join Italian Serie A side Lazio on an undisclosed permanent transfer.

The 28-year-old attacker, who joined the Hammers from the Rome club in the summer of 2018, scored 12 goals in 73 appearances in Claret & Blue.

He spent last season on loan with FC Porto in Portugal, playing ten games for the Primera Liga outfit.

Everyone at West Ham United would like to thank Felipe Anderson for his contribution made during his time as a Hammer and wish him the very best for his future.[/article]

William Saliba - Marseille (loan)

Kyogo Furuhashi - Celtic (undisclosed fee)

[article]
Celtic Football Club is delighted to announce that it has reached agreement to sign Japanese internationalist, Kyogo Furuhashi, from J1-League club Vissel Kobe, subject to the satisfaction of usual conditions and international clearance.

The 26-year-old forward is regarded as one of the most exciting talents in Japanese football and will join Celtic on a four-year deal.

He is the current top scorer in the J1 League – the top division in Japan – with 14 goals in 20 games, and he is a team-mate of Spanish football legend, Andres Iniesta, who captains the side.

Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou said: “We are delighted to bring Kyogo Furuhashi to Celtic. He is a player of real quality and clearly someone I know well.

“I think he will add something special to our squad and I am sure the way he plays will excite our supporters. We look forward to welcoming him to Celtic."

Kyogo Furuhashi has helped Vissel Kobe win the only two trophies in the club’s history so far – the Emperor’s Cup, when they beat Kashima Antlers 2-0 in the final on New Year’s Day 2020, and the subsequent Japanese Super Cup.

That match against the J1 league champions, Yokohama F Marinos, who were then managed by Ange Postecoglou, saw Kyogo Furuhashi score in the 3-3 draw, with Vissel Kobe winning the penalty shoot-out.

Now, having faced Ange Postecoglou’s side in Japan, Kyogo Furuhashi will now play under the Australian manager at Celtic

Kyogo Furuhashi, who made his international debut against Venezuela in November 2019, has scored three goals in six appearances for Japan.
[/article]

Kjell Scherpen - Brighton

[article]Brighton & Hove Albion have completed the signing of goalkeeper Kjell Scherpen from Ajax on undisclosed terms.

The 21-year-old, who is 6ft 8in tall, began his career in Holland with second-tier club FC Emmen where he made over 30 senior appearances before joining Ajax in July 2019.

By then he had already made his first start for the Dutch under-21s, having also represented them at under-19 level, making his debut against an England team featuring Jadon Sancho and Phil Foden in September 2018.

He made four first-team appearances last season for Ajax including one in the Europa League.

Head coach Graham Potter said, “We’re delighted to welcome Kjell to the club. He’s a player we have been monitoring for a while and we see him as a player with a lot of the right attributes.

“As well as his size he is someone we think will work very hard to improve all aspects of his game as he gets used to English football.

“We look forward to working with him.”[/article]

Lukas Nmecha - Wolfsburg (£11m plus 15% sell-on clause)
[article]
Lukas Nmecha has joined Wolfsburg on a four-year deal from Manchester City, fresh from firing Germany to their third UEFA U21 European Championship title.

Nmecha - who grabbed the only goal in this summer's U21 final against Portugal - is back in the Bundesliga and at Wolfsburg for the second time, having made six appearances for the Wolves during the first half of 2019/20.

The 22-year-old spent the 2020/21 season on loan at Belgian club Anderlecht, scoring 21 goals in 41 competitive appearances.

“Although it wasn’t an easy time for me in a sporting sense, I felt good in Wolfsburg and in the team,” Nmecha said. “I’m excited to see a lot of familiar faces.”

Nmecha was born in Germany, but moved to England as a child, representing the Three Lions at youth level before switching his allegiance back to his birth country. A Germany U21 debutant in March 2019, he took his tally to 12 goals in 20 appearances at the 2021 Euro finals, where he finished as the competition's four-goal top scorer.

The Hamburg native has also played club football for England's Preston North End and Middlesbrough, but was restricted to two English Premier League outings in the colours of Man City, whom he joined as a 17-year-old in July 2015.
[/article]

Marc Guéhi - Crystal Palace (£18m)

[article]
Crystal Palace have completed the signing of Marc Guéhi from Chelsea on a five-year deal.

Guéhi, a 21-year-old centre-back, joins Palace after a season-and-a-half on loan at Championship side Swansea City, where he played 59 games and helped to secure sixth- and fourth-placed league finishes consecutively.

Born in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, the young defender began his youth career with Bromley-based Cray Wanderers before being scouted for Chelsea at Under-8 level.

Winning the treble with the Blues’ Under-18s in 2016/17, Guéhi signed his first professional contract in September 2017 and went on to help Chelsea scoop the quadruple – including the FA Youth Cup and league – that same season.

He made his first-team debut in Chelsea’s 7-1 victory over Grimsby Town, before completing his first loan switch to Swansea in January 2019, returning for a full season in summer 2020. Guéhi reached the play-offs in both seasons with the Swans but the Welsh side could not secure promotion on either occasion.

Internationally, Guéhi has represented England at all levels between Under-16 and Under-21, and captained the Young Lions to the U17 European Championship final in 2017. Later that same year, Guéhi scored in England’s victorious U17 World Cup final. He has since received 11 caps for England Under-21s.

Speaking with Palace TV after arriving, Guéhi said: “I’m very excited. It’s a great opportunity for me to come to such a big club in the Premier League. I’m really excited to get going.

“[The club is taking] a really exciting direction with the new gaffer that’s come in. A lot of good young players are here and obviously such a stable club with top players really enticed me and made me want to come.”

Chairman Steve Parish added: “We’re delighted to have signed Marc for Crystal Palace. He’s an exciting talent and one we believe will be a valuable addition to the squad as we build towards the coming season.”
[/article]

Albert Sambi Lokonga - Arsenal (€17.5m + €4.5m add ons)

[article]
Albert Sambi Lokonga has joined us from Anderlecht on a long-term contract.

The 21-year-old midfielder came through the Belgian club's youth system after joining in 2014 as a 15-year-old and signing his first professional contract in November 2017.

He made his first-team debut for Anderlecht in December 2017 and has been a regular in their side over the past two seasons, making a total of 78 appearances.

A Belgium Under-21 international, Albert was called up at senior level in March 2021 when he was an unused substitute against Greece.

Technical director Edu said: “We are delighted Albert has signed with us, as there was a lot of interest in him and he was a big target for us. Albert is a player we’ve been tracking for some time, and he will bring us strength in depth in the centre of midfield. We look forward to his continued development with us.”

Mikel Arteta said: “Albert is a very intelligent player who has shown great maturity in his performances during his development. He has been coached well by Vincent Kompany and his team at Anderlecht. I know Vincent very well and he talks so highly about Albert and the positive impact he had to Anderlecht in recent seasons. We’re confident Albert’s ready for the next stage in his development and we’re looking forward to welcoming a new member to our squad with his quality and presence.”

The midfielder will join up with his new team-mates in the coming days after he has completed the current isolation regulations for international arrivals into the UK.

Albert will wear the No 23 shirt and have the name Sambi on the back.

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.
[/article]

Frank Onyeka - Brentford (£9m)

[article]Brentford have completed the signing of Nigeria international midfield player Frank Onyeka, subject to international clearance. A work permit for the 23-year-old was received at the weekend and he has completed a medical. Frank will join from FC Midtjylland, where Brentford FC Owner Matthew Benham has the majority shareholding, for an undisclosed fee and has signed a five-year contract. He arrived in the UK yesterday, Monday 19 July, and will now undergo a period of quarantine before joining with the squad for training.

Frank has spent his entire professional career with FCM, as they are known, and has been a regular for them in the Danish Superliga for most of the past four seasons. He arrived in Denmark as an 18-year-old from FC Ebedei, a Nigerian club with links to FCM. He progressed to the First Team and made his breakthrough in the 2017/18 season.

Frank was part of the FCM side that won the Superliga in 2017/18, playing 15 games. He helped them win the title again in 2019/20 and the Danish Cup in 2019. Frank played in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League for FCM, and leaves Denmark having made 123 appearances and scored 17 goals.

Thomas Frank, Brentford FC Head Coach, said: “I am looking forward to getting Frank in the building. We think he is a strong addition to the squad, and we are looking forward to working with him. He is a very dynamic player.

“Frank plays as an eight in our system, he is very good at getting from box to box and will be valuable to us when we don’t have the ball. He has come from the Danish league and was one of the best midfield players in that league, we think he has the potential to develop further. All the coaches here are looking forward to working with Frank and pushing him to a higher level.”

Rasmus Ankersen, Brentford FC Co-Director of Football, added: “Frank Onyeka is a player we, for obvious reasons, know very well. Over the last two years he has grown to become the dominant midfielder in the Danish league and his performances in the Champions League last season convinced us that he is ready for the Premier League. With his pace, power and ability to win the ball I am sure Frank will be a great addition to the Brentford squad."

Frank received his first Nigeria call-up last season. He was selected for friendly matches last October and made his international debut against Algeria, his only appearance for his country to date. It is a busy year or so upcoming for Nigeria with an upcoming Africa Cup of Nations scheduled to start in January 2022 and the final stages qualification for the FIFA World Cup 2022, to be played in Qatar next November in December, set to start in September.[/article]

Last edited:
Andros Townsend - Everton (free transfser)

[article]Andros Townsend has signed for Everton, penning a two-year contract until the end of June 2023.

The 30-year-old winger joins on a free transfer after his contract expired with Crystal Palace, where Townsend spent the past five years.

Before that, the forward – who has 13 England caps – worked with new Blues manager Rafa Benitez at Newcastle United, and Townsend revealed the combination of reuniting with the Spaniard and joining “massive and ambitious” Everton was an opportunity he could not turn down.

“I think everyone knows what Everton is. It’s a massive football club, it’s very ambitious, a club which has been trying to get back to where it belongs into Europe and beyond,” Townsend told evertontv. “I’ll be doing all I can to help the Club do that.

“Everton is a massive football club and has big ambitions next season. As the old cliché goes, it was a no-brainer.

“Rafa is very experienced. He does a lot of work on the tactical side on the training pitch, he leaves no stone unturned. But more importantly, he’s a great man, a great man-manager, and he’s always talking to you. I’m sure he will be very successful here.”

Townsend started his career at boyhood club Tottenham Hotspur, coming through the club’s youth academy and spending seven years at White Hart Lane before moving to Newcastle in 2016.

Townsend’s whirlwind stay at St James’ Park yielded four goals and two assists from 13 appearances, with Newcastle resurgent under new manager Benitez but falling short of hauling the club out of the Premier League’s relegation zone after a desperate start to the campaign.

After five seasons with Crystal Palace, the new Blue is eager to make his mark on Merseyside.

“My strengths are that I can cross a ball with my left or right foot, get balls into the box. I like to score a goal or two,” said Townsend. “I work hard off the ball, too, which is something I got better at with Rafa.

“My job now is to prove I’m good enough to be an important part of this football club and that’s what I’m working hard in training and in games – and whenever I get the opportunity in pre-season - to prove I’m good enough to be an important player here. That’s what drives me.”[/article]

Asmir Begovic - Everton (free transfser)

[article]Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic has joined Everton on an initial 12-month contract with an option for a further year.

Begovic becomes the Blues’ second summer signing, following the arrival of winger Andros Townsend, and brings a wealth of top-level experience to Rafa Benitez’s squad.

The towering stopper is closing in on 400 senior club appearances – with 252 of those coming in the Premier League. Begovic was most recently with Bournemouth and has also played in the English top tier with Chelsea - where he won a league title in 2016/17 - Portsmouth and Stoke City.

Begovic has amassed 63 senior international caps for Bosnia & Herzegovina and was an instrumental figure in helping his country qualify for its first World Cup in 2014.

At club level, Begovic has enjoyed a loan spell with Italian giants AC Milan and he won a league winners’ medal during a temporary stint at Azerbaijani side Qarabag in 2019/20.

Begovic says he is savouring the opportunity to be part of a “humungous club” in Everton – and set out his hunger to play an important role in helping the Blues achieve success.

“When I first heard of the possibility of joining Everton, I was really excited,” he told evertontv.

“Opportunities like this don’t come around every day so I’m honoured and pleased to be here.

“The ambition is to get this club to where it belongs. We want to be challenging for those European spots, challenging for trophies and being in that upper echelon of the league.

“With the squad we have, the fan base, and the tradition of the Club, everything is in place for us to be successful.”

Begovic, who played 51 matches for Bournemouth last season, explained how his conversations with manager Benitez and Director of Football Marcel Brands were key in his decision to join Everton.

The keeper added he is looking forward to training alongside England number one Jordan Pickford and promising young stopper Joao Virginia – and is confident the Blues’ cohort of talented goalkeepers can bring the best out of each other.

“First and foremost, to work with people of [Rafa Benitez and Marcel Brands'] calibre is really pleasing for me and I'm looking forward to learning from them,” Begovic said.

“Just in my first couple of conversations with the manager, it's clear he has a massive knowledge of the game. He has an incredible track record in terms of what he's achieved and accomplished. To work for those sorts of managers, it's something that's very good for me.”

Begovic added: “Jordan [Pickford] is a world-class goalkeeper. I think the goalkeeping group here is fantastic.

“We’re going to push each other every single day and set those standards in training.

“We also have a great goalkeeping coach in Alan Kelly.

“I’m definitely here to compete [for a place] and to try to help this team in any way I can.”[/article]

Last edited:
Justin Kluivert - Nice (loan for €1m with option to buy for €14m)

[article]
Nice have signed Roma winger Justin Kluivert on a season-long loan.

Kluivert spent last season on loan in Germany with RB Leipzig, but they did not take up their option to make the deal permanent.

His move to Nice includes a permanent option worth €14m.

Nice are paying €1m in order to have the 22-year-old on loan for the 2021-22 campaign.

With Roma, Kluivert has a contract to 2023.
[/article]

Carl Starfelt - Celtic (€5m)

[article]Celtic Football Club is delighted to announce that it has reached agreement with FC Rubin Kazan for the transfer of Swedish defender Carl Starfelt, subject to the satisfaction of usual conditions and international clearance. On satisfaction and gaining clearance, Carl will sign on a four-year deal.

A Swedish internationalist, Carl has been with FC Rubin Kazan in Russia since 2019 and previously played with IFK Goteborg.

Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou said: “I am really pleased agreement has been reached and we are really looking forward to Carl joining up with the squad. Carl is an experienced player and someone with the attributes to be a real success at Celtic.

"He is a strong, athletic and committed defender and will add quality to our squad. I am sure he will be a player our supporters will welcome warmly and someone who will be really important for us going forward.”

Carl will also be subject to standard quarantine protocols and will join the squad as soon as possible. [/article]

Kristoffer Ajer - Brentford (£13.5m)

[article]Brentford have signed Norway international defender Kristoffer Ajer from Celtic F.C. for an undisclosed fee, subject to international clearance. Kris, as he is known, completed a medical before signing a five-year contract. He will train with his team mates this week as The Bees count down to their first-ever Premier League season.

The move brings ends a five-year stay in Scotland for the tall 23-year-old centre back. He joined Celtic just after his 18th birthday, having already played for more than two years in the top-flight in Norway for IK Start, his first professional club. The second half of his first year in Scotland was spent on loan at Kilmarnock but Kris has been a regular for Celtic for the past four seasons.

Thomas Frank, Brentford FC Head Coach, said: “We wanted to get another central defender in, and Kris was our first choice. We think he fits the position specific profile perfectly, especially on the ball.

“Kris is very composed and can find the right passes between the lines. His level when bringing the ball forward is very high. As a defender he has the physicality that you need, and he won his duels when he played in the Scottish league. He can help us in both boxes, with his strength in the air.

“He is a player at a good age, and we think he come straight in and be ready to perform in the Premier League. But he also fits the way we want to recruit players and work with them. He can develop as a player and both Brentford FC and Kris can move to a higher level in the coming years.”

Rasmus Ankersen, Brentford FC Co-Director of Football, said: “Kristoffer has scouted extremely well, and he ticks all the boxes for what we want in a Brentford defender on and off the pitch. It goes without saying that a player of his calibre has many options. We are really pleased that Kristoffer has decided to commit his future to Brentford."

Kris collected a series of trophies in his years at Celtic. The Glasgow side won the Scottish domestic treble in three consecutive seasons, 2017/18, 2018/19 and 2019/20. Kris was named in the Scottish Premiership PFA Team of the Season in the middle season. In five years with Celtic, Kris played 176 games and scored seven goals, 38 of those appearances were in the UEFA competitions, Champions League and Europa League.

Kris made his first appearances for his country at Under-15 level and worked his way through the age groups. He made his full international debut before his 20th birthday and has 23 caps, including starting two friendlies in the summer. Kris has played 60 games for his country at all levels, scoring eight goals.[/article]

Last edited:
Lewis Bate - Leeds (undisclosed fee reportedly £1.2m plus sell on clause)

[article]Leeds United are pleased to announce the signing of Lewis Bate.

The midfielder joins the Whites from fellow Premier League side Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Bate, who attracted interest from a number of clubs, has penned a three-year-deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2024.

The 18-year-old has been part of the Chelsea youth setup for the last 10 years and captained the Blues in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final.

Last season he made the step up to Under-23s football, making 20 appearances as Chelsea finished runners-up in Premier League 2 Division 1.

He has also won caps at youth level for England at both Under-17 and Under-18 level.

Bate becomes Leeds’ fifth signing of the summer transfer window, following the arrivals of Junior Firpo, Jack Harrison, Shaun McGurk and Amari Miller.

He will initially link up with Mark Jackson’s Under-23s for the forthcoming season.[/article]

Wow @ the fee Leverkusen are paying for the defender (I've not heard of him :oops:)

Demarai Gray - Everton (€2m)

Odilon Kossounou - Leverkusen (€23m)

Pierluigi Gollini - Tottenham (loan with option to buy for €15m until June 2022/potential obligation to buy if the player reaches 20 apps)

Stefan Johansen - QPR (undisclosed fee)

Mario Lemina - Nice (€4m)

Bryan Gil - Tottenham (€25m + Erik Lamela)

[article]We are delighted to announce the signing of Bryan Gil from Sevilla, with Erik Lamela joining the Spanish club as part of the deal.

The exciting young winger, 20, joins us on a contract until 2026.

Brought up in Barbate, Andalusia, Bryan moved from his home town club to Sevilla in 2012. He progressed through the youth ranks to make his first team debut in January, 2019 and made another 12 appearances off the bench in La Liga and the Copa del Rey that season, scoring his first senior goal in a 5-0 win against Rayo Vallecano in April.

Bryan made his European football bow as Sevilla won the Europa League in 2019/20. He featured four times in the competition and scored against Qarabag before joining Leganes on loan for the rest of the season, scoring in a 2-2 draw against Real Madrid in July, 2020.

He spent last season on loan at Eibar where he made 29 appearances, including 26 starts in La Liga, scoring four goals. He already has 62 appearances in La Liga, Copa del Rey and Europe under his belt, plus another 23 for Sevilla B in Segunda Division B.

Capped from Under-16 to Under-23 youth levels by Spain, Bryan was part of the squad that won the UEFA Under-19 Championship in 2019, starting the semi-final and final, and reached the semi-finals of the UEFA Under-21 Championship this summer. He earned the first of three senior international caps against Greece in March.

Subject to international clearance, Bryan will join up with the Club at the conclusion of the Olympics in Tokyo where he is representing Spain.

Going the other way to Spain, Erik joined us from AS Roma in August, 2013. Over the next eight seasons, the all-action attacking midfielder made 257 appearances in all competitions, helping us reach three cup finals and finish second and third twice in the Premier League. Now 29, Erik took his tally of caps for Argentina to 25 during his time here.

A Club man through and through, we wish Erik all the best for the future.[/article]

Toby Alderweireld - Al-Duhail SC £13m

Wonder what kind of hole this will leave in the Spurs back line.

Giuseppe Pezzella - Atalanta (loan with option to buy)

[article]Parma defender Giuseppe Pezzella has officially joined Atalanta on a temporary deal with an option to buy.

La Dea had been linked with a move for Juventus’ defender Gianluca Frabotta, but have signed Pezzella instead.

Both clubs have announced the transfer of the Italian defender on their official websites.

“Parma Calcio 1913 can announce that the club has reached an agreement with Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio for the loan of Giuseppe Pezzella until 30/06/2022 with an option to purchase the player outright upon the occurrence of certain conditions,” Parma’s statement reads.

Pezzella, 23, played 48 games in two seasons at the Stadio Tardini.
[/article]

Lee Carsley - England U21 (Head Coach)
Ashley Cole - England U21 (Assistant Coach)

[article]Lee Carsley has been appointed as the England men’s under-21 head coach and will be assisted by former Three Lions defender Ashley Cole.

Carsley, the former Everton and Derby County player, was appointed after a comprehensive recruitment process and will step up from his role with the MU20s.

He will continue to maintain strong relationships with all national coaches and players to support England pathway activity. Cole, meanwhile, will combine his duties with his ongoing work at Chelsea’s academy.

Having previously worked as MU21s assistant coach in recent years, Carsley’s connection to England Football goes back to initially working with the MU19s in 2015 while he's also added to his club coaching experience with work at Manchester City and Birmingham City.

During his playing days, he won 40 caps for the Republic of Ireland so is well-versed in the international game.

“I see it as a massive honour and achievement to coach the MU21s. It is a really prestigious position with a lot of responsibility as has been proven by the calibre of predecessors in this role.

“Gareth and Steve Holland have always been very supportive and I'm looking forward to working more closely with them.

"We have a great opportunity to help the senior side by developing the best young talent in this country while combining that with the aim of being successful at U21 level.

“We want to win matches. I don’t think you can have one without the other, these lads want to compete at the highest level and test themselves against the best. We have to acknowledge the work being done by the academies and I know how important it will be to have good relationships with the clubs.

“I will have a great team around me. Ashley is a brilliant addition to the staff and we will also have Tim Dittmer as goalkeeping coach, with all of his experience of the game.

"I've been on courses with Ashley during lockdown and been impressed. He is committed to coaching and player development so a lot of our thoughts are aligned.”

John McDermott, FA technical director, added: “I'm very happy to be able to confirm Lee’s appointment, and to be able to bring in someone of Ashley’s stature as his No2, with thanks to Chelsea for their support.

"It was a very competitive recruitment process and the calibre of people that put themselves forward underlines the importance of the U21 set-up.

“Leading this age-group is a unique challenge as the obvious aim is to win matches and do well at final tournaments, but there's also a clear requirement to support Gareth Southgate and the seniors.

"Lee has a wonderful knowledge of age-group football and will also be able to put his strong club relationships to good use. We should never forget the duty of care we have as we work to support the development of our brightest emerging players and I know Lee and Ashley will get that right.”

Cole is one of the most decorated England men’s footballers of all-time, winning 107 caps during an illustrious career.

He started with Arsenal, being part of the unbeaten ‘Invincibles’ team that claimed the 2003-04 Premier League title, before helping Chelsea lift the Champions League in 2011-12. In all, he represented England at three FIFA World Cups and two UEFA European Championships, while winning the Premier League three times and the Emirates FA Cup a record seven times.

“I'm really happy to get this opportunity to support Lee and work with the best youngsters in the country," said Cole.

"I loved playing for the national team and to now get the chance to work as an England coach is a special feeling. St. George’s Park is an amazing place and I can’t wait to get started. I want to do my best to help young players to develop, and also learn from some brilliant people at the same time.”

Cole’s coaching career began with Derby County in 2019, before returning to Chelsea in a role with their academy in October that year.

In June of this year, he took part in the launch of England Football Learning’s International Player to Coach (IP2C) programme, which works with former and current international players as they transition into coaching and management. The programme’s inaugural participants also included Wayne Rooney, Michael Dawson and Carlton Cole.

Carsley's first game in charge of the Young Lions comes when they kick-off the new season with a trip to face Romania in an U21 international in Bucharest on 3 September.

After that game, the squad will return home and begin their new UEFA U21 EURO qualifying campaign when they host Kosovo on 7 September.[/article]

Mamadou Sakho - Montpellier (free transfer)

[article]Mamadou Sakho has departed Crystal Palace after four and a half years upon the expiry of his contract, signing for Ligue 1 side Montpellier Hérault SC.

Sakho joined Palace on loan in January 2017, collecting the club’s Player of the Month award in March and helping to secure safety with several significant clean sheets.

He then signed a permanent deal in August 2017 and went on to play a total of 75 times for Palace.

Everyone at the club would like to thank Mamadou for his service over the years and to wish him well for the future.[/article]

Last edited:
Lewis Bate - Leeds (undisclosed fee reportedly £1.2m plus sell on clause)

[article]Leeds United are pleased to announce the signing of Lewis Bate.

The midfielder joins the Whites from fellow Premier League side Chelsea for an undisclosed fee.

Bate, who attracted interest from a number of clubs, has penned a three-year-deal at Elland Road, running until the summer of 2024.

The 18-year-old has been part of the Chelsea youth setup for the last 10 years and captained the Blues in the 2020 FA Youth Cup final.

Last season he made the step up to Under-23s football, making 20 appearances as Chelsea finished runners-up in Premier League 2 Division 1.

He has also won caps at youth level for England at both Under-17 and Under-18 level.

Bate becomes Leeds’ fifth signing of the summer transfer window, following the arrivals of Junior Firpo, Jack Harrison, Shaun McGurk and Amari Miller.

He will initially link up with Mark Jackson’s Under-23s for the forthcoming season.[/article]

He is supposed to be very very good. Apparently, we were also after him but Bielsa guaranteed him first team appearance this season. All rumor's of course.

He is supposed to be very very good. Apparently, we were also after him but Bielsa guaranteed him first team appearance this season. All rumor's of course.

Chelsea's academy has produced some good talent.

Southampton just signed one too.

Dynel Simeu - Southampton (£1.5m)

[article]Highly-rated young centre back Dynel Simeu has signed for Southampton on a three-year contract, the club is pleased to confirm.

The sought-after 19-year-old joins from Chelsea, where he had played since the age of 13, developing into one of the brightest talents in the Blues Academy.

He now returns to the city where he grew up, initially becoming part of the B Team set-up, where he will continue his development during the 2021/22 season as he works towards an eventual step up into the first team.

Cameroon-born Simeu, who is an England Under-19 international, both captained and featured consistently for the Chelsea Under-23s team that finished second in Premier League 2 last season, while he also had experience of the first-team environment at Stamford Bridge, including making the bench in a Champions League tie away to Bayern Munich in August 2020.

Speaking about the transfer, Simeu said: “I feel glad, finally, that the move was made possible. I'm just excited to get started.

“It's nice to be back home, I've had a really friendly welcome. I feel comfortable that I'm home with my family, so I'm excited.

“I hope to hit the ground running, get fit and comfortable with the boys and then hopefully push towards the first-team.”[/article]

Crystal Palace's signings this transfer window looks good on paper.

Joachim Andersen - Crystal Palace (€17.5m plus add ons)

[article]Crystal Palace have completed the signing of Denmark international defender Joachim Andersen on a five-year deal.

The 25-year-old centre-back joins Palace from Lyon after a competing in the Euro 2020 semi-final this summer.

Andersen’s career began in his native Denmark, but he broke into professional football with Dutch side, F.C. Twente. Shortly after making his first-team debut, Andersen was named Under-19 Talent of the Year by the Danish Football Association.

The centre-back joined Serie A side Sampdoria after 50 games with Twente and played regularly under manager Marco Giampaolo. Andersen’s performances earned him a move to Lyon as a record transfer in summer 2019, and he went on to feature in the 19/20 Champions League – including as a substitute in the semi-final against Bayern Munich.

Andersen then tasted Premier League football with a season-long loan to Fulham in October 2020. He captained the Cottagers and was even nominated for Premier League Player of the Month in February 2021.

That same year, the 25-year-old featured regularly in Denmark’s Euro 2020 campaign, playing as a substitute in all three knock-out games. In doing so, Andersen collected his eighth international cap.

With Andersen becoming the fourth signing so far under Patrick Vieira, Chairman Steve Parish said: "In Joachim, we have added another highly-rated defender to our squad, and as a player with Premier League and international experience, we are extremely pleased to welcome him to Crystal Palace."

Andersen said: “I’m extremely proud to be joining Crystal Palace and to be playing in the world’s best football league.

"The management of the club and Patrick Vieira have given me very strong assurance that they know my qualities, they believe in me and want me to play an important role in the team. I have a very positive impression of Patrick from the conversations I have had with him, and I have heard nothing but great things about the manager, the club and its plans for the future."
[/article]

Sam Vokes - Wycombe Wanderers (undisclosed fee)

[article]Wycombe Wanderers have pulled off a major coup in the transfer market, bringing former Premier League and Wales striker Sam Vokes to Adams Park, the club are thrilled to announce.

The 31-year-old leaves Championship club Stoke City to sign an initial one-year deal – with the option of a second year – and was unveiled to Chairboys fans on the pitch ahead of Wednesday’s pre-season friendly against Leicester City.

Manager Gareth Ainsworth said: “Sam has been our number one target all summer and we’re so pleased to bring him to Wycombe Wanderers. This is the culmination of so much hard work from a lot of people around the club, and we particularly owe a massive thank you to Andrew Howard for his incredible effort to get the deal done. It’s taken a lot of time, a lot of phone calls, a lot of late night meetings, but we got there and it’s a brilliant acquisition for this club.

“Sam’s experience speaks for itself, with 64 caps for Wales, scoring in a European Championshp quarter-final, winning promotion to the Premier League three times, and scoring a lot of goals in the top two tiers for Burnley over a seven-year period.

“He is the perfect fit for us in terms of his character and the way he plays, bringing out exciting creative attacking players into play, scoring plenty of goals himself, and he is the ideal man to lead the line for us in League 1 this season.”

Vokes started his career at Bournemouth in League 1 in the 2006/07 season, and a prolific run of form in his second season as a professional attracted the attention of Wolverhampton Wanderers, who swooped to take him into the Championship. He was a promotion winner in his first campaign in the Black Country, and remained at the club until 2012, also spending time on loan in the second tier with Leeds United, Bristol City, Sheffield United, Norwich City, Burnley and Brighton.

He returned to Burnley in 2012 and went on to score 20 league goals in his second season at Turf Moor as the Clarets reached the top flight, and followed it up with another 15 Championship goals in 2015/16 during another promotion-winning campaign, before netting 10 times in the top flight the next year.

Vokes, who earned the first of 64 international caps in 2008, swapped Burnley for Stoke City in the 2018/19 campaign, and featured for the Potters at Adams Park last December before leaving the club this summer.

Sam Vokes is the new number 9 at Adams Park.[/article]

Yasser Larouci - Troyes (free transfer)

[article]
Liverpool have missed out on potentially millions of pounds after losing Yasser Larouci on a free transfer to Troyes.

His contract expired this summer after telling the Reds that he had no intention of renewing his deal last year.

Anfield chiefs desperately tried to sell the defender but to no avail and the 20-year-old has now departed for nothing.

It has meant Liverpool have missed out on a huge payout due to compensation rules in England.

Among the clubs having a look, Leeds United and Brentford had been interested in the youngster and could have made offers last summer after ramping up their efforts.

However, a transfer failed to go through and Larouci remained at Anfield for another year despite his situation.

Liverpool desperately tried to convince the Frenchman to change his mind and had offered him a new contract.

But he rejected any offer outright, insisting that he wanted to leave to start playing immediately in the first-team.

Andy Robertson is firmly first-choice at the club, while James Milner has even been preferred to back-up option Kostas Tsimikas.

It meant that any avenue into the starting XI was always stacked against Larouci's favour.

But his choice of club will surely leave a sour taste in Liverpool's mouth with Manchester City the potential benefactors.

Troyes are one of several club's under the City Football Group, along with the likes of New York City, Girona and Melbourne City, to name but a few.

Larouci has signed a five year contract with the Ligue 1 outfit, who also signed Metinho this summer from Fluminese for around €5m.

It means both players could be at the Etihad one day should they develop how the club want them to.

Furthermore, if Larouci had signed for Brentford or Leeds this summer, Liverpool would have been entitled to a compensation fee.

FA rules state that clubs can expect a sum of money for any player under the age of 24 who leaves on a free transfer for another team in England.

If the two clubs cannot reach an agreement, the matter goes to a tribunal.

The Reds know the process well having done the same for Harvey Elliott, Danny Ings and Dominic Solanke in recent years.

However, with Troyes being in another country, those rules do not apply - instead, the FIFA regulations come into effect which means a much lower fee.

Instead, Liverpool can expect roughly £250,000 - a staggering amount lower than the millions they could have expected otherwise.

The Reds are looking to offload a number of fringe players this summer with Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic already departing.
[/article]

Last edited:
Ben White - Arsenal (£50m)

[article]Ben White has joined us from Brighton & Hove Albion on a long-term contract.

The 23-year-old defender, who has proved to be one of the Premier League’s finest young prospects, joins us after spending the summer as part of the England squad at the Euros.

Ben spent the 2019/20 season on loan at Leeds United, where he was an ever-present in their Championship-winning side, helping them win promotion back to the Premier League after a 16-year absence. He returned to the south coast last season, becoming a key member of Brighton’s Premier League side.

Ben started his youth career at Southampton before joining Brighton as a 16-year-old, where he enjoyed rapid progress, making his first-team debut as an 18-year-old. During his time at Brighton, as well as the Championship-winning spell with Leeds, Ben also spent successful loan spells with Newport County and Peterborough United.

Technical director Edu said: “Ben has been a key target this summer. He has so many qualities which make us so excited he’s joining us. Ben’s a young English player with a great future. He’s very strong defensively, good on the ball with a great passing range. We’re delighted Ben’s signed and we look forward to him growing with us.”

Mikel Arteta said: “Ben was a top target for us and it’s great that we’ve completed his signing. Ben has been educated with two very good clubs, Brighton and Leeds, in recent seasons. He has benefitted well from two very good coaching set-ups and has shown with both Brighton and on loan with Leeds what a strong talent he is.

"Ben is an intelligent defender who is very comfortable with the ball at his feet and his style fits perfectly with us. And of course, he is still young, so his age and profile fits with what we are building here. We are all looking forward to Ben being central to our future long-term plans.

Ben will wear the No 4 shirt and will immediately join up with his new team-mates ahead of The Mind Series friendly match at home to Chelsea on Sunday.

Everyone at Arsenal welcomes Ben to the club.

The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.[/article]

Another talent young player that Crystal Palace has signed (albeit on loan)

Conor Gallagher - Crystal Palace (loan)

[article]Crystal Palace are delighted to announce the signing of Conor Gallagher on a one-year loan from Chelsea.

The 21-year-old midfielder arrives after a first full season of Premier League football at West Bromwich Albion, where he scored twice and assisted twice in 32 appearances.

After progressing through the youth system at Chelsea and featuring in the matchday squad as they won the 2019 Europa League final, Gallagher made a successful loan move to Charlton Athletic in 2019/20, where three goals in his first six appearances saw him crowned the Football League’s Young Player of the Month for August.

Moving to Swansea City for the second half of the 19/20 season, Gallagher was part of the Swans side to secure a play-off spot alongside now-Palace teammate Marc Guéhi, contributing seven assists in just 19 Championship games.

An England Under-21 international, Gallagher won the Under-17s World Cup with England in 2017 and has represented the Young Lions at all levels from Under-17 to Under-21 – playing 32 international youth games so far.

Gallagher becomes Palace’s fifth signing under Patrick Vieira, after Joachim Andersen joined Guéhi, Michael Olise and Remi Matthews in south London.

Chairman Steve Parish said: "I am delighted Conor has chosen to come to Crystal Palace on a season-long loan after some impressive performances in the Premier League last season. We very much look forward to him joining the squad as we continue to build towards the new season."

Upon putting pen to paper in south London, Gallagher said: "I’m buzzing to be here. I can’t wait to get started, I’m happy to get the deal over the line.

"I spoke to the manager, I liked what he said, I liked how he wants to play, how he wants me to play and how he wants the team to play. I feel like I can learn from him and the players around me."
[/article]

Marko Arnautovic - Bologna

[article]Bologna have officially announced Marko Arnautovic’s arrival from Shanghai Port after anticipating the news with a funny video.

The transfer for Arnautovic to Bologna is a done deal and only the official announcement has been missing from the Rossoblu.

“Bologna FC 1909 announce that they have acquired the right to sporting services for striker Marko Arnautovic from Shanghai SIPG,” the club wrote in a statement.

The club uploaded CCTV footage of Stadio Renato Dall’Ara that shows the presence of a spirit that wanders through the corridors at the ground.

In the end, the Austria international reveal himself in a Bologna shirt. The caption on the video says: “We do not recommend viewing for easily scared people.”[/article]

Russell Martin - Swansea City (Head Coach)

[article]
Swansea City is delighted to confirm the appointment of Russell Martin as the club’s new head coach.

The 35-year-old has signed a three-year contract at the Liberty Stadium after compensation was agreed with League One side Milton Keynes Dons.

Martin will be joined in SA1 by coaches Luke Williams, Matt Gill and Dean Thornton, while Alan Tate will continue in his capacity as first-team coach.

Martin and his staff will oversee training at Fairwood on Monday and take charge of the Swans’ Championship opener against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday, August 7.

“We are delighted with the appointment of Russell as our new head coach,” said Swansea City chief executive, Julian Winter.

“He very much fits the profile of a young and hungry coach who wants to succeed, and he is more than ready for the opportunity.

“When it became clear we would be looking for a new head coach, at the forefront of our thoughts was finding a candidate who was ambitious, driven and with a clear vision of how he wants the team to play.

“After earning plaudits with Milton Keynes Dons for the attractive, attacking style that he implemented, we quickly realised Russell would be the right person to take us forward.

“We were also seeking someone with a passion for working with and developing young players. Russell ticks all those boxes.

“While his coaching philosophy is clear, Russell also enjoyed a fine playing career that saw him amass over 500 senior appearances.

“He captained Peterborough and Norwich, as well as winning promotion on five separate occasions, which tells you everything about his leadership qualities and winning mentality.”

A former defender, Martin enjoyed a 15-year playing career that began in the youth ranks at Brighton and Hove Albion and included winning 29 caps for Scotland.

After spells with Wycombe Wanderers and Peterborough United – the latter of whom he helped achieve promotion to the Championship as skipper – a loan move to Norwich City followed.

His stint at Carrow Road proved such a success that he joined permanently in January 2010 with the Canaries on their way to the League One title.

Martin spent the next eight years in East Anglia, helping the club win promotion to the Premier League in 2011 and 2015.

During his time at Norwich he played alongside current Swansea squad members Ryan Bennett, Kyle Naughton and Korey Smith.

After a brief loan spell with Scottish side Glasgow Rangers, Martin left Norwich in 2018 and joined Walsall as a player-coach.

From there he agreed to join Milton Keynes Dons in January 2019, and helped them secure promotion to League One at the conclusion of the campaign.

Then, following Paul Tisdale’s departure as manager in November 2019, Martin was appointed his successor and subsequently announced his retirement as a player.

After keeping the Dons in League One at the end of the 2019-20 season, Martin guided the side to a 13th placed finish last season after implementing an attractive style that saw the Dons sit behind only Manchester City and Barcelona in Europe when it came to their dominance of possession.

His approach and his commitment to it have won him no shortage of plaudits, and marked him out as one of the brightest young coaches in the game.
[/article]

Kevin Betsy - Arsenal (Under 23 Head Coach)

[article]Kevin Betsy has joined as our new under-23 head coach.

Kevin, who started his coaching career at the Fulham's Academy, joins us from the Football Association, where he spent the past five years working in key roles with England Youth teams across multiple age categories, eventually becoming England Under-18s Head Coach in September 2020.

Before becoming a coach, Kevin enjoyed an 18 year-long playing career, making over 400 appearances in English league football. During his playing days, Kevin gained promotion from each of the four league divisions during spells with clubs which included Barnsley, Bristol City, Oldham Athletic, Southend United, Woking and Wycombe Wanderers. Most notably, he was part of the Fulham side which won promotion from League One and the Championship, featuring in the Premier League in the early 2000s.

Academy Manager Per Mertesacker said: “We are extremely delighted that we have recruited through our interview process such a high profile candidate as Kevin Betsy. Kevin joins us from his current position as the Under-18s Head Coach for England. He has had very strong experiences through academy and youth football, and has a wealth of knowledge and ability.

“We are excited that Kevin will drive us to continue to deliver on our vision to develop and build ‘Strong Young Gunners’. Kevin has proved in his coaching career that he will be a colleague who can contribute strongly to our players’ development pathway by leading our Under-23s team, including our staff and players.

“We are incredibly pleased that Kevin is joining us and we discovered throughout the interview and recruitment process that Kevin is excited and passionate about joining the Club and our Academy.”

Kevin Betsy said: “It’s an honour and privilege to be joining Arsenal as Under-23s Head Coach. Arsenal is of course an iconic club in world football with such a rich history. This is also a club with a very strong current record of developing young football players for the highest level, but also placing an emphasis on producing well-rounded young people.

“I’ve had a tremendous five years working with the Football Association in vital roles across the England youth teams. During this time I’ve worked with many hugely talented young players and some amazing colleagues in a wide range of departments. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the FA and in particular Technical Director John McDermott for allowing me to take this opportunity and making my transition into Arsenal so smooth.

“Throughout my recruitment process, I’ve had some extremely positive discussions with Per Mertesacker, Luke Hobbs and senior management at Arsenal, which has made my decision to come to the club even easier.

“My work starts here and together with the talented people at this club, we aim to continue the strong work of providing the pipeline of talent to support the first team, whilst at the same time instilling the values and traditions of this football club, so that young players are ready for life as well as football.”
[/article]

Eldor Shomurodov - Roma (€17.5m plus add ons up to €2.5m + sell on fee)

[article]Eldor Shomurodov has completed his transfer to Roma, as Genoa will receive €17.5m plus €2.5m in bonuses, but it’s not a loan with obligation to buy. ‘It’s a huge step forward in my career.’

The Uzbekistan international put pen to paper today, with the announcement arriving this evening.

A statement reads that the permanent transfer has been completed for €17.5m plus variable bonuses, as well as a percentage of the future transfer fee.

He signed a contract to June 2026 and will wear the Number 14 jersey.

“Joining Roma represents a huge step forward in my career – I will do everything I can to show I deserve this opportunity and to demonstrate what I can do at one of the biggest clubs in the world,” Shomurodov told the official club website.

“The speed in which this deal was agreed is testament to my desire to be able to join up with the coach and my new teammates and get to work as soon as possible.”

The Corriere dello Sport claim the details of the deal have been clarified, a permanent transfer fee with €1.5m straight away, another €16m then spread out over several years.

The performance-related bonuses are not easy to achieve and are based on the results of both the player and Roma during his time there.

“Eldor is a forward with great potential to develop even further and he is hungry to prove himself at Roma, in a league he already knows well,” said Tiago Pinto, the club’s General Manager.

“Along with that desire, his qualities as a player also fit well with the way our coach wants to play – and for that reason we are delighted to be able to welcome him to the club.”

The 26-year-old impressed in his debut Serie A season at Genoa, scoring eight goals and providing one assist in 31 appearances.

That included five goals in his last six games of the season, including a brace against Atalanta.
[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom