• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

I think we should seriously consider Rice as a Bellingham alternative (or we can try to buy both if Henry accidentally leaves his wallet at Kirkby). For a long time he seemed to be destined for Chelsea or United, however it seems the Blues under Potter are more interested in Caicedo (who we should also consider!) and while United remain interested I have a feeling that in the end they will probably lean towards signing more glamorous Dutch or other European players rather than take a chance on another slab-headed English bloke from a midtable team. Rice will be expensive, but perhaps a touch less so compared to year ago, the hype has died down a little bit, but the quality is still there.

The defining feature of Declan Rice for me is his willingness and ability to drive forward with the ball - a rare feature for a holding midfielder. You could say he’s interpreting the DM position quite differently to Fabinho. I think he’s technically very solid, sees his teammates, is willing to sacrifice his body in defence and seems like a decent lad. Not injury-prone so far in his career and plays a lot of minutes. Let’s hope the usual “curse” of us signing a player who had a good game against us will strike again.

Last edited:
I would loath paying £100m on one midfielder when we need two or three. As talented at Rice is, and a natural successor to Henderson, at some point we really need to revert back to finding excellent players for a reasonable fee.

If are determined to shop at the top end of the market then yeah, Rice needs to be on the list. He always seems fit and available, too. Played an enormos amount of games in the last 2 years and keels putting in very high level performances.

His current contract (£156k/wk) expires in 2024 and rejected West Ham's offer of 8 year contract (£200k/wk) so they may be forced to listen to offers. Unfortunately, I think Chelsea will be the most likely destination with Kante's injury woes and Jorginho's contract expiring at the end of this season + his bestie Mount is there.

For the right fee he’s definetly someone we should look at. Sadly feel like Chelsea will be his next club.

No from me. A holding mid which would be madly overpriced. You can get those elsewhere for less than half the price.

Rather spend more on the actual no. 8, who is more difficult to find.

No from me. A holding mid which would be madly overpriced. You can get those elsewhere for less than half the price.
Agreed. I think this is the kind of player we should be plucking from obscurity and fashioning ourselves. There are many players out there with the physical attributes for the role, so it's just a case of finding someone with the right mentality.

I’d stay away from the flavours of the month. Jason Sancho looked a class at Dortmund, yet look at what he’s doing at the skip.

He's quality and still very young but surely he's Chelsea bound given he's their youth (or did I mix him up with someone else)? Could also see United trying to sign him but he just seems like someone who would prefer to stay in London

Good player but not worth 100m+

Barella would be the 1, or if we want a under the radar gem then Sekou Fofana at Lens.

Maybe we need to source for a replacement for Fabinho soon. o_O

Untitled.jpg

Captain obvious here but i like that he not only seems to be ever present, he’s also doing it in the premier league. Bellingham is cool n’all but Naby has undermined all my confidence.

We’re signing someone a little bit cheap and broken though, this is how we roll.

Ideal summer would be Hakimi Barrela Jude and Mbappe, that should be enough to get us back winning titles.

Shouldn't cost that much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom