• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Do Newcastle ambitions inspire concern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Within 2-5 years (depending on how well they buy, and who they hire to manage them), they'll be in the race for top 4 ... so of course it's reason for concern.

Everton have spent 500 mill and are still shite.
They need the right set up and manager to get somewhere.
The appoinments they are about to make will be equally important for them. Lets hope they fuck it up.

I'm not worried yet, but the link between money and success is pretty established. They'll be competing for titles within eight years, the top four will get even harder and these will also push for a European super-league to increase the reach of their sports washing agenda.

The appoinments they are about to make will be equally important for them. Lets hope they fuck it up.
Agreed. Similarly PSG have spent on a much grander scale and still blow hot and cold. They, like City, still haven't won the cup with the big ears that they both crave so much.
Newcastle have a track record of fucking things up. Knowing their luck, there'll be an overnight global ban on burning fossil fuels coming into effect the day before the January transfer window opens. ;)
I'm bothered, but I'm a long way from being concerned, for now.

I remember this conversation when City got bought. A lot of derision but someone said they would dominate for years, and he was right. Same with Newcastle. All that money will eventually make things click. At worst, a series of managers will fall through glass panels before they reach the other side.

But worry?

Nah. There's nothing we can do but ensure that we are in the conversation too. They're well always be richer clubs and playthings. Not point getting too concerned.

Agreed. Similarly PSG have spent on a much grander scale and still blow hot and cold. They, like City, still haven't won the cup with the big ears that they both crave so much.
Newcastle have a track record of fucking things up. Knowing their luck, there'll be an overnight global ban on burning fossil fuels coming into effect the day before the January transfer window opens. ;)

yeh big finances defo are a massive help …but, so much can go wrong even with great players…ya can’t buy good relations between all those involved, and force humans to gel …..money does help a lot but curve balls happen….
I feel a bit less concerned, and it will take time…we have to keep up somehow !

City may not have won the CL but evry season they are fighting out the PL title, and how many time in the past 10 year have PSG won the french title?
So it Could be that in five years time the PL title is a Newcastle/City thing and our hope of succes rests only in winning the CL

City have pretty much been the dominant force in domestic football in recent years.

By all accounts we're dealing with City mk2, so yeah, it sucks.

I'm not worried because there isn't anything we can do about it. My hope is that we manage to get a couple more trophies out of the Klopp era and then see what happens after that.

It's going to be tough to remain top tier because we will now have 4 teams with almost unlimited funds and even the chasing pack is no longer just a couple teams - there are a fair few clubs with ambitions and the right backing.

Champions League is increasing to 5 English clubs isn't it? Just as well or we might be the one squeezed out when Newcastle inevitably rise into contention.

It's when not if with the size of their financial backing and although we are top 2 at the moment under Klopp we can't always be "Liverpool got no money but we'll still win the league".

The only solution for FSG to keep us competitive long term is to bring in a moneybags investor but no-one will spend a couple of billion or more on buying us and then have to put in a huge transfer kitty as well. That means finding a partner like Redbird Capital but with deeper pockets.

Could happen I guess

City have pretty much been the dominant force in domestic football in recent years.

By all accounts we're dealing with City mk2, so yeah, it sucks.

I'm not worried because there isn't anything we can do about it. My hope is that we manage to get a couple more trophies out of the Klopp era and then see what happens after that.

It's going to be tough to remain top tier because we will now have 4 teams with almost unlimited funds and even the chasing pack is no longer just a couple teams - there are a fair few clubs with ambitions and the right backing.

Same here. The team behind Newcastle have a different level of money. Expect Newcastle to be among City, PSG, Chelsea level in 5-8 years.

Enjoy the time left with Klopp and this squad and have limited expectations once Klopp and this team leave. I think ESL might be the only way we remain competitive.

Though NUFC is 80% owned by PIF, the other 20% is owned by Amanda, husband and the Rueban Brothers, so what do they want out of this deal? @Beamrider any ideas? Is it capital growth, if so what's the exit strategy? Or is it they case they will buy land cheaply and use the leverage of NUFC to get planning permission through very quickly?

Though NUFC is 80% owned by PIF, the other 20% is owned by Amanda, husband and the Rueban Brothers, so what do they want out of this deal? @Beamrider any ideas? Is it capital growth, if so what's the exit strategy? Or is it they case they will buy land cheaply and use the leverage of NUFC to get planning permission through very quickly?
Don't know about the Reuben Brothers (i.e. whether they are in on the same terms as the PIF) but I wouldn't be surprised if the bits belonging to the Staveleys are "sweet equity" of the kind often given to key management personnel by Private Equity investors. If that's the case, the chances are that their financial participation in the company won't be on the same terms as the PIF (i.e. if there's a sale they may not get £ for £ what the PIF gets for its shares), and their voting rights won't be enough to stop the PIF from doing whatever it wants. It's likely to be a bit messy because if the PIF wants to put more money in without diluting the share rights then they'd either need the Reuben Brothers and the Staveleys to match them (possible / unlikely respectively) or lend it, but that might not work long-term for FFP (like they care about FFP), or have some funny share rights (which is also fairly common in Private Equity structures).
There's a chance that some of the Staveleys' shares will be in lieu of (some of) their fees, but with it having taken so long to get this over the line I'd be surprised if they haven't insisted on a good chunk of cash as well.
I'm trying to do a bit of digging to see if I can find the relevant information on Companies House (assuming they've used a UK company to buy the club, which would be the normal structure, especially if there's some bank money in there as well) so I will chip in as and when I've found it, but it may be a week or two before the filings are updated so feel free to remind me if I don't post in the mean time.

Just to add, on further investigation, that the Staveley's piece is via an entity called PCP Capital Partners. I think this entity is basically a private equity fund, and as such there will be a lot of investors behind it (including pension funds as well as high net worth investors). The Staveleys will undoubtedly have a piece of that pie, and they manage the fund, but it won't be their own money (for the most part) that backs it.

Just to add, on further investigation, that the Staveley's piece is via an entity called PCP Capital Partners. I think this entity is basically a private equity fund, and as such there will be a lot of investors behind it (including pension funds as well as high net worth investors). The Staveleys will undoubtedly have a piece of that pie, and they manage the fund, but it won't be their own money (for the most part) that backs it.
Take as long as you like, write your piece to the Atheltic/or national print house. The Reuban brothers stake is10%, as you're probaby aware they're the richest british property developers. If you can find out what you think PCP and Rueban get out this deal would be good, its not likely PIF needed either.

Nah - good luck to them. Money talks though and that unwarranted entitlement that money breeds changes fans from being sound to…. well…. Just look at the fume…I hope the Geordies don’t completely lose it. I love a sweaty belly and long may they continue to feel the need to whip that paunch out when occasion arises.

Chelsea changed most of their starting 11 in two summers and then had that 95 point season with Jose.
Can anyone see that realistically happening here? Maybe not win the league, but be challenging in as little as two summers replacing most the team?
How long can a sponsorship contract be?
Aramco £2 billion over X amount of years?

Chelsea changed most of their starting 11 in two summers and then had that 95 point season with Jose.
Can anyone see that realistically happening here? Maybe not win the league, but be challenging in as little as two summers replacing most the team?
How long can a sponsorship contract be?
Aramco £2 billion over X amount of years?

Chelsea was at a much higher level though. They had qualified for the CL at our expense. They had Gallas, Desailly, Lampard, Gronkjaer, Gudjohnsen, Cudicini, and Terry in the youth team. A very strong base to build from. Players were also relatively cheap at that time. You can spend 100-150 million and get a whole new team. Robben, Duff, Makelele were in the 10 to 20 million range. Joe Cole, Parker, Bridge were in the 5-10 million range.

The London factor is also there.

It depends on how quickly they want to achieve “success”.

The noises suggest they’re looking at doing it in stages - the managers being mentioned aren’t likely to take the team to Premier League or Champions League glory - they’re more likely to establish the team as knocking on the door of the top 6 at best.

Same goes with the players that have been mentioned.

That makes sense - Chelsea and City were much better established and position to push in to the top 4 or challenge for a title than Newcastle are.

Even these stages are fraught with danger - it’s not just a matter of personnel in turning a team around from relegation fodder to challenger - they need a cohesive system or style and the players to fit that - and even then, they need time for players to adjust and gel.

Let’s be honest - none of the current Newcastle would get a game for any of the top teams - Saint-Maximin might make the bench of a couple.

Avoid relegation this season. Comfortable mid table finish next season. European contention the following. Top 4 push in 3 seasons if they’re lucky. Title challenge in 5 years if they’re very lucky. Actually win something of note within a decade and they’ll be doing well.

Most of us will be dead by the time they win anything, the way this world is going.

Newcastle will probably start by buying the best English players from the mid to lower lv premier league teams and they'll also look abroad for English talent. Yeah, better be worried about Bellingham.

Poor Steve Bruce is about to get £7m and sacked.

Rodgers and Farve are the 2 favourites. Hope they go for an unknown quantity in there's of cutting it in England and they end up going down this season.

Wasn’t City’s first marquee signing Robinho? Even then they lied about which club he was signing for. It’ll be more difficult for Newcastle to even do that.

Everton have indeed been wasteful, but they were never really in a position to sign top talent. They got James and co, but only because of Carlo, and even he (James) is considered a risk not many teams want to touch.

The difference with Newcastle is they are more of a sleeping giant than Everton, they'll do exactly what City did and build through steady Premiership players, probably players like Lingard and some ageing ex top European players, and then go from there. It'll take a few years but they're in exactly the same mould as say, City or Spurs (though thankfully Spurs haven't had that level of investment).

Same here. The team behind Newcastle have a different level of money. Expect Newcastle to be among City, PSG, Chelsea level in 5-8 years.

Enjoy the time left with Klopp and this squad and have limited expectations once Klopp and this team leave. I think ESL might be the only way we remain competitive.

I think the one thing it might do is push the competitiveness to a level where FSG have to have a rethink and either start finding ways of changing their business model, or look to sell on. I'm loathed to see us change hands, better the devil you know and all that, but the more bottomless pit clubs that are out there, the harder the whole money-ball thing is to sustain.

Top class manager, 4 signings in Jan and 4 signings in the summer, they could challenge for European places at least
About 3-4 seasons to challenge for title. Big difference and the other big spenders who spent hundreds of millions is that they can offer £10m to £20m a season contract

This season is a write off but starting next year I expect them to challenge within 3 seasons.

Yes we should fear them, we'd be stupid not to. Their machine will be getting into high gear just as the Klopp era comes to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom