• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Early Expectations for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RedZeppelin III

"The plan is to try to get into the Champions League, but everyone else will be spending big money as well and it will be difficult for Liverpool still. You can't change things overnight," he told talkSPORT.

"Brendan had a decent season last season, and bringing in Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho were two massive buys in January and improved them no end. I hope these new lads can improve them a bit more."

Evans went on to say that Jamie Carragher's retirement is a big loss to the club, and insisted that a sixth-place finish is "realistic".

He added: "It will be difficult with a bunch of young players. It's always difficult if you have too many young players in your side. You need a blend of youth and experience, and they've arguably lost their biggest leader in Jamie Carragher.

"I think they'll finish sixth. That won't be ideal because you want to be in the Champions League, but we have to be realistic and look where we're coming from."

So would you agree with Roy Evans . Is 6th the realistic position we should expect ? If this "buying youth" policy is a long term plan , how patient are you prepared to be over the next few seasons ?

Based on the latter half of the season's form we should be challenging for champion's league, so that has to be the yardstick imo; A sustained season-long push for 4th or better.

It's way too early to talk about that IMHO. It will all depend on which players we bring in and whether Suarez stays. We won't know the answer until end of August.

I think he's being prudent, given that on paper, there's Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal ahead of us. One could add Tottenham into the list too, given their performances in the league for the past 2 seasons. Even as we improve the other teams are expected to add/fine tune their squad. So, it is about right to say that 6th is realistic, at this moment.

The important thing is to mount a strong challenge for CL qualification. For example, finishing 5th and be 10 points behind 4th vs. finishing 6th but only 3 points behind 4th. Obviously, nothing beats 4th (or higher)!

i should be used to it now , i should accept that this is modern football ...but this idea that 4th is "success" drives me mad .

i should be used to it now , i should accept that this is modern football ...but this idea that 4th is "success" drives me mad .

I agree we should be aiming higher than that at some stage but I guess its normal and better to take progressive steps forward than say aim for the title after seasons of finishing 6th or lower for the past 4 seasons.

Agreed. But as a goal along the way to winning the league its fine.
First we get top 4, then we challenge for the league.

What does this have to do with modern football??

Modern football is delusional fans thinking that you can go from finishing 7th / 8th to Champions in a season. You can - if some Russian / Arab owner spends 90 million in the summer.

The best we can hope for is that we hit the ground running and a couple of the other teams either fall away or take a while to get their shit together. We're adding alot of players and we've lost Carragher (and could lose Luis), so it's going to be a patience game again I reckon. If you add that Gerrard and Sturridge have both struggled off and on with injuries, if we start the season without those two, things could get difficult.

Top 4 no doubt about it.

The other top teams have all changed managers bar Arsenal and Spurs so we should get to build some winning momentum and the fixtures do aid our cause.

While we are bringing in more than a few players, we will have a significantly strengthened squad to push for the top 4 compared to last season despite the loss of Carra.

Much will depend on how quickly the new players settle, how quickly we start winning game and whether we can sustain a long winning run. Mentally we need to step up and show more belief in ourselves and more importantly produce the results.

The actual finishing position is less relevant than the points total; if we finish within 10-15 points of the Champions it will represent a huge improvement regardless of whether that gives us a top 4 finish.

It's way too early to talk about that IMHO. It will all depend on which players we bring in and whether Suarez stays. We won't know the answer until end of August.

As above. If Suarez stays it will help the new players, less pressure from the off and another Spanish speaker to say nothing of being one of the world's top forwards. A lot depends on who we sign/use as our starting CBs.

We need to see what other teams do in terms of selling/losing/buying players and managers.

United - new manager, established system in place. So far there is no strengthening of the team.
City - new manager, lost Tevez.
Chelsea - will be stronger this season without doubt.
Spurs - could be in trouble if losing Bale and AvB.
Arsenal - this could be a big transfer season for Wenger. Get it right and they can challenge for a top 3, get it wrong and they will be fighting for a CL place again.

albus-dumbledore.jpg

The actuall finishing position is less relevant than the points total; if we finish within 10-15 points of the Champions it will represent a huge improvement regardless of whether that gives us a top 4 finish.

I'd rather finish 1st than have another 20 points.

We heard the same when we finished 2nd under rafa and had out record points tall etc.

I said this 12 months ago about my expectation for last season - http://www.sixcrazyminutes.com/inde...s-rodgers-have-to-do.19216/page-4#post-732078

And Rodgers met all of that:
- Fucked off the shitcunts
- Bought good players
- Played good football
- Marked points improvement (61 points, compared to the 52 Dalglish served up)

Ticks all round.

Same rules apply again this year.
- Fuck off the rest of the shitcunts
- Buy some more good players
- Keep playing good football.

I want 2 other things this time:
- Sort the defence out. It's gone on untouched for too long and needs some serious reconstruction.
- Push for top 4, which means I want 70 points or more. That's a 10 point jump if you really want to be in the mix for 4th. It'll undoubtedly be a lot harder to make up that extra 10 points than what we had to do last season, but he's got better players, a more rounded squad, and I like him. So we're a chance.

4th is definitely 'do-able' based on the strength of the team at the 2nd part of the season and the shrewd signings made thus far. I'm excited at the 'Dortmond approach' that we're taking and have confidence in the Transfer Committee. I'm hoping we do better than 4th.

With us not playing in Europe I demand a top 4 spot.
But if we don't do anything about the defence we can forget that.

Top 4 minimum. Despite the vile amounts of cash the oil men and gangsters spunk on trinkets.
Nothing else is good enough.
We are Liverpool.

I'm on pesams/ryans boat.

More points. Ideally 70+

If that's not top 4 then we're unlucky and it's been a fucking great season for everyone else.

Realistically I'm expecting 6th as we've still got a way to go.

Definitely aim for top 4. Yeah its going to be difficult, but we have enough firepower now to hurt all teams. If we can cut out the poor defending then we'll definitely be up there with a chance.

I don't see how we have the fire power. If we're losing Suarez this 20+ goals gone. Aspas & Alberto won't offer that much. And any of the other potential signings might not cope well enough.

Thankfully, it being world cup year means sturridge should be kn good form providing he stays fit. And hopefully borini improves his scoring rate.

I think we're asking a lot expecting a 20 point increase over 2 seasons.

I don't see how we have the fire power. If we're losing Suarez this 20+ goals gone. Aspas & Alberto won't offer that much. And any of the other potential signings might not cope well enough.

Thankfully, it being world cup year means sturridge should be kn good form providing he stays fit. And hopefully borini improves his scoring rate.

I think we're asking a lot expecting a 20 point increase over 2 seasons.

We'll have overall greater firepower overall as the goals will be spread around and greater squad depth. We done fairly well in Suarez's absence and remember that he is banned for the first 6 games so wouldn't have any effect on the games anyway. Sturridge and Coutinho stepped up nicely in his absence plus Borini is back and we've signed a few attacking players who you'll expect to get game time and contribute to goals.

70+ points will be some target but its realistic and achievable especially when you look at how strongly we finished the season.

But it's typical Liverpool. We played well when there was nothing to play for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom