• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Elliot

keniget

6CM Addict
Administrator
He got a mention in the City match thread but I think he deserves his own little unsung hero / appreciation thread.

His work rate against City yesterday was nuts (along with a couple others such as Diaz and Macca) and generally speaking has run himself into the ground over the last few weeks to try and get us through this period.

Should he be starting for a team in our position week in, week out? Ideally no.

But he's more than demonstrated his worth to the squad this season and there should be no more questions about his place here.

He looked destroyed at the end, but you're right. I said this in the other thread:

Klopp did the right thing in adding Elliott as it flooded the midfield and he was able to find pockets of space which they were really struggling to pick up. I thought he was excellent yesterday. He did give the ball away a couple of times and that's the side of his game he needs to work on, but in terms of industry, close control and strength on the ball, he's really come on loads this season. Considering he missed a full season and is still only 20, he's really in a good place in terms of his progress.

He competing for a position with Jones Gravy & Szoboszlai for the position he plays. For sure.

When all 3 fit. Jones would be 1st Choice..

Macca and Endo have their position in the team nailed on for sure.

Macca can drop back if Endo not playing which the frees up his natural position for the others.

He's not a starter for me, when everyone is fit, but he's a fantastic squad player and sub to plug in when we need him.

Absolutely makes the most of the talent he has and leaves it all out there on the pitch. Really love him.

He’s not quite a CM not quite a RW. I think his perfect role would have two more defensive minded midfielders. His work rate is exceptional. I think he’ll find his place but it should only be in our front three if he’s there to press rather than to be an out and out attacker.

He’s not quite a CM not quite a RW. I think his perfect role would have two more defensive minded midfielders. His work rate is exceptional. I think he’ll find his place but it should only be in our front three if he’s there to press rather than to be an out and out attacker.
Klopp has helped his development hugely, but you half wonder if he might kick on even more without him, as the new system might maximise his talent. He's 100% a 10

Everyone talks about him as a “system player” and praises his graft and industry, which is fair enough, but let’s not overlook his incredible ability to find a key pass - you don’t get 3 assists in one game without some special passing ability and so many of his other key passes throughout the season should have been assists if our strikers took their chances. He is more like Shaqiri in that sense and that’s what sets him apart from Lallana who had considerable technique, but could never play a killer last pass.

There are not many players who have both the graft and that touch of genius at a key moment - this is why the likes of Odegaard or Bernardo Silva are so irreplaceable to their teams. Elliott has made giant strides in the last few weeks and proved he is more than just an impact sub - he can actually be relied upon as a starter, in 2 different positions at a crucial time of a title chasing season. For a 20-old to be entrusted with so much responsilibility and to repay this trust in full is just incredible. He’s a gem.

Last edited:
Still...

short-short-legs.gif

Everyone talks about him as a “system player” and praises his graft and industry, which is fair enough, but let’s not overlook his incredible ability to find a key pass - you don’t get 3 assists in one game without some special passing ability and so many of his other key passes throughout the season should have been assists if our strikers took their chances. He is more like Shaqiri in that sense and that’s what sets him apart from Lallana who had considerable technique, but could never play a killer last pass.

There are not many players who have both the graft and that touch of genius at a key moment - this is why the likes of Odegaard or Bernardo Silva are so irreplaceable to their teams. Elliott has made giant strides in the last few weeks and proved he is more than just an impact sub - he can actually be relied upon as a starter, in 2 different positions at a crucial time of a title chasing season. For a 20-old to be entrusted with so much responsilibility and to repay this trust in full is just incredible. He’s a gem.
We tend to forget he's just 20 yrs old, it feels like he's been on the verges of the first team for so long.

I think he's brilliant and I really hope he pushes on and makes it here. We forget he's only 20, he doesn't need to have massive stats at this stage, you can see his worth and his contribution while watching him play. Maybe I'm biased, he's the spit of my lad so I always think of him as my surrogate child, the one that got away.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm biased as a shorty myself, I feel like him being pint sized has just given him that little bit more grit, humility and determination to use his other gifts. He doesn't seem a standout in any position but that's more because of his versatility and graft. I think he were given the reins in a free attacking role he would actually make it (not that I am advocating this)

He is an absolute gift.

Maybe I'm biased as a shorty myself, I feel like him being pint sized has just given him that little bit more grit, humility and determination to use his other gifts. He doesn't seem a standout in any position but that's more because of his versatility and graft. I think he were given the reins in a free attacking role he would actually make it (not that I am advocating this)

He is an absolute gift.
He's an attacking midfielder. That's it. He lacks a forward's instinct and yesterday was the perfect example - instead of driving in and shooting during the breakaway he slowed the game down and we lost the opportunity. We often see this from him, and it isn't a criticism, he is looking for a pass into the forwards not the goal scoring chance for himself.

He's an attacking midfielder. That's it. He lacks a forward's instinct and yesterday was the perfect example - instead of driving in and shooting during the breakaway he slowed the game down and we lost the opportunity. We often see this from him, and it isn't a criticism, he is looking for a pass into the forwards not the goal scoring chance for himself.

But that's not just him. It's szob, it's gini, it's Jones, it's hendo, it's every nearly 8 we've had.

It's clearly come from klopp that if there's a better percentage pass than a shot, take it.

But that's not just him. It's szob, it's gini, it's Jones, it's hendo, it's every nearly 8 we've had.

It's clearly come from klopp that if there's a better percentage pass than a shot, take it.
Hmm I think I'd take issue with that statement. Szobo loves a shot, as does Macca and Jones. I doubt they'd have pulled up and looked for a pass. Gini wasn't even an attacking MF at LFC. Hendo would shoot when he shouldn't ! And then there's Gerrard.

Though I'd agree that Klopp would want them to play the percentages he has also said he likes players to have a go from outside the box - witness Szobo and Macca (and even Elliott has two goals, inc. a deflected one yesterday). That said Elliott shooting was the best option in that 5 vs 2 yesterday (inside the box) and I can't understand why he pulled out of it when there clearly wasn't a better option.

There are plenty of other occasions where he's taken the shot or lofted a good ball in and we've scored. He hesitated, made a mistake and it cost us. He's also only 20 and will have the odd lapse. Quansah was magnificent against City (and yesterday) but got caught in possession against City at one point and it could on another day have resulted in a goal. I wouldn't have them laid claim that he didn't have the right instincts. It's just one of them, take it on the chin. The Elliott one wasn't symptomatic of the way he plays, 9 times out of 10 in that position he gets the ball back in there or shoots, he just got caught in two minds but you can bet your house that he'll learn from it and won't do it again. We should have put him on earlier, it wasn't his sub that killed us, it was the Gapko one and the withdrawal of Salah that killed us, but in truth, we never looked in control anywhere on the pitch yesterday throughout the game. That's not just on one player, most of them were guilty of it. Bad game, in another big game, but we move on.

That's one of the world class skills Gerrard had.

He is an absolute gift.
I'm not that tall myself, but that gif is more about him being short and slow.
A free attacking role is something you earn, like Gerrard did.
Harvey has a lot to learn still.

Hmm I think I'd take issue with that statement. Szobo loves a shot, as does Macca and Jones. I doubt they'd have pulled up and looked for a pass. Gini wasn't even an attacking MF at LFC. Hendo would shoot when he shouldn't ! And then there's Gerrard.

Though I'd agree that Klopp would want them to play the percentages he has also said he likes players to have a go from outside the box - witness Szobo and Macca (and even Elliott has two goals, inc. a deflected one yesterday). That said Elliott shooting was the best option in that 5 vs 2 yesterday (inside the box) and I can't understand why he pulled out of it when there clearly wasn't a better option.

I got the impression we were taking much more shots this season.

Maybe @King Binny can shed some light.

Back
Top Bottom