• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

England Vs South Africa - Cricket Tour 2012

Venom??

Banter perhaps. But venom not even close.

I have disliked Smith for a very long time and I am yet to be proven that Philander...

I don't see what you are getting hung up about.

Good first day for England. 267/3

Tbh, I think it's an excellent. Bat to 500 tomorrow, and the test is theirs to win. South Africa needs to be a bit more aggressive with their bowling, and I'll be happy with a draw as this ground is never kind to us

Kallis is one of the very finest players to play the game.
RA - Kallis is a special special player. One of the greatest of this generation, if not ever. The scary thing is he'll keep on going for 2-3 years ...

Interesting stats for Kallis in England:

Kallis has a poor record in England. His batting average there is 29.30 - little more than half his overall 56.78. Of his 42 hundreds Kallis has scored only one of them in England and that came 14 years ago. He has been dismissed for less than 15 on 11 of the 20 occasions he has batted in England and has scored only three half-centuries.

Weather looking good for the rest of the match!

Swann should have some fun on this wicket come the second innings.

How good is Cook? He looks shite but he is a machine when it comes to scoring runs. He's going to break every England and Wales batting record going by the time he's finished.

South Africa were very disappointing today + very negative. Why were all of their quicks bowling way below their normal speeds?

Ha maybe mate.

I was expecting them to come out all fired up, but they just seemed to be going through the motions. Maybe they haven't had enough bowling under their belts?

No excuses - it seems odd. England are #1 for a reason. If you want to beat 'em, you need to beat your best. Today, no one was at their best. No idea why, but if we play like this for the remainder of the series, then dave's prediction will be correct.

South Africa have got to get early breakthroughs tomorrow before lunch or else if England get to 350 for 3 or 4 it could be 550+ in no time. Great start for England but all it is is a platform. Someone need to get a ton tomorrow.

Steyn seems like a different bowler from yesterday ... as this pitch gets drier though, it's a big big advantage to England's bowlers.

Why can't SA produce any top class spinners?

Now Bell has gone to Kallis.

Before the start I put a tenner on South Africa at 3/1. I wish I had put my money on last night - I would have got much better odds! :)

Before the start I put a tenner on South Africa at 3/1. I wish I had put my money on last night - I would have got much better odds! :)

For this game, or the series? The game - I would be amazed. For the series, weather pending, it will be close but England should edge it.

For this game, or the series? The game - I would be amazed. For the series, weather pending, it will be close but England should edge it.

Just for this game. It depends on the vagaries of the weather. If the ball continues to move around like it is this morning - I would back England's bowlers to dismiss South Africa cheaply in their first innings. However it could revert to being the easy wicket that it was yesterday.

How often does a wicket 'revert' in the course of a match? I can see it going from yesterday's conditions to today's but visa versa?

How often does a wicket 'revert' in the course of a match? I can see it going from yesterday's conditions to today's but visa versa?

With the variable English weather, the ball often starts to move around and then stops doing so when there is a change, such as the sun coming out! The science of what makes the ball swing is still very obscure and there are all kinds of theories. For example, at cricket grounds near the sea, the locals think the ball swings when the tide comes in! :)

It's a very slow pitch because of the amount of rain which has fallen recently. The weather condtions and the fact it's a fairly new ball is causing it to swing. And of course South Africa have bowlers who can move it.

If England get dismissed with plenty of time left today which is looking likely now Jimmy will be swinging it around corners.

Bresnan chops on for 8. Tahir gets him with an absolute pie.

England should get to around 400-450 ... if their bowlers do what they can do, it's going to be a cracking test.

385 ALL OUT

Good come back from South Africa.

Crucial England get wickets today.

Great bowling today - bar a few bad patches - by all the Saffers. Morkel had a good inning - I still think he's very overrated.

South Africa would do to end the day on 200-2/3 ... We'll lose wickets, but if we get a nice base to work with tomorrow, we can cause England to sweat.

Kallis is key here - as I can Smith going out for a low score (he'll get five 0-20 run innings, and one 200 run inning as usual!)

Back
Top Bottom