• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Euro 2012 Day 8- Ukraine v France, Sweden v England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harsh on Johnson, he made some fucking class saving tackles. I realise this opens up the possibility of laying into him over his positioning, but I reckon if it weren't for him England could have conceded another two or three

He did, I still think he made a few errors though, which seems part and parcel, but he bailed us out a few times, which more than made up for the odd error, on this occasion. I thought in contrast, Ashley Cole was abysmal. TBF aswell, I thought Terry was brilliant.

He just wellied it! Has the world gone mad??

I'm loathed to pour too much praise on a player who's largely been hit and miss throughout his career, but you're well going overboard on this Macca. He hit it and aimed in the direction of the goal, and it went in. I don't think it can be put simpler, he gambled and scored a cracker. What's flukey about trying a shot from range and it coming off? I really don't see what point you're making.

You may aswell say Gerrard's goals against West Ham were flukes, or the one against Olympiakos.

As for the haters. Now the cunt count has lessened in the team (yeah, we still have JT), I'm starting to like England again, we might not be near the quality we've had in recent seasons, but we're full of heart and we're playing a bit more as a team, for each other. More than we have done in ages. Good win and a really entertaining match. Top players for me were Carroll, Terry, Johnson, Walcott and Gerrard.

I'm loathed to pour too much praise on a player who's largely been hit and miss throughout his career, but you're well going overboard on this Macca. He hit it and aimed in the direction of the goal, and it went in. I don't think it can be put simpler, he gambled and scored a cracker. What's flukey about trying a shot from range and it coming off? I really don't see what point you're making.

You may aswell say Gerrard's goals against West Ham were flukes, or the one against Olympiakos.

Who's making a big thing out of it? It was a throwaway comment last night. I couldn't give a toss!

Who's making a big thing out of it? It was a throwaway comment last night. I couldn't give a toss!

Ahh well, apologies, seems there was were alot of begrudged credit and piss taking being tossed around last night on this thread. We won, that's all I'm arsed about. We might get dry humped by a good side, but in the meantime we're doing what we have to do.

Carroll scores from a Gerrard cross from deep played towards the goal.

I'm pretty sure some bellend on here has been constantly saying that's the kind of cross he thrives on, not the downing across goal cross.

Oh yeah, that was me.

I'm pretty sure some bellend on here has been constantly saying that's the kind of cross he thrives on, not the downing across goal cross.

Oh yeah, that was me.

Yeah, tbf though, Gerrard did that for him a few times last season and he kept fucking it up.

Yeah, tbf though, Gerrard did that for him a few times last season and he kept fucking it up.
He's not going to score every one though. I'd happily see it tried more often though, now carroll hit some form

Still cant believe the height of the jump and the power of the header. Great goal.

Ahh well, apologies, seems there was were alot of begrudged credit and piss taking being tossed around last night on this thread. We won, that's all I'm arsed about. We might get dry humped by a good side, but in the meantime we're doing what we have to do.

Sure. It was a bloody exciting match!

The first two occasions he narrowly headed wide & then it smashed into the crossbar.

It's a cross that was supplied to him at Newcastle to great effect & I think it's a cross that Johnson should be playing in all honesty more often, cos it's played from so deep.

The first two occasions he narrowly headed wide & then it smashed into the crossbar.

It's a cross that was supplied to him at Newcastle to great effect & I think it's a cross that Johnson should be playing in all honesty more often, cos it's played from so deep.
We should have bought a winger last summer who could provide those crosses. Oh wait...

Oh yeah, that was me.

Surely that's simply because that's what he was used to getting at Newcastle, not because he wouldn't also thrive on crosses from further upfield. Why would one be more effective than the other as long as the crosses are going in, and doing so accurately? If anything, crosses from deeper should be easier for the opposition defence to fend off.

I've never, ever seen Johnson cross the way Gerrard can.
I don't think he's capable of it.
I also don't think that we should be reliant on Gerrard-esque deliveries into the box every game, cause it won't happen.
Sure, it might be a necessity if the striker was, say, Suarez on his own. But when the biggest selling point of a particular player is his towering heading ability, what we should be expecting is for that player to be beating the defenders half the time no matter what kind of cross, so long as it's in his vicinity.
It would certainly be nice if we had wingers who could put in amazing balls on a plate to Carroll, but I think the priority would be for him to improve his play compared to the majority of last season, especially his heading accuracy and timing of runs into the danger area.

Surely that's simply because that's what he was used to getting at Newcastle, not because he wouldn't also thrive on crosses from further upfield. Why would one be more effective than the other as long as the crosses are going in, and doing so accurately? If anything, crosses from deeper should be easier for the opposition defence to fend off.

Watch Carroll though, he struggles to guide the ball at the goal with his head from those crosses across goal.

He's still a helluva asset there cos he usually ties up at least one defender if not two or created space & havoc in the box for other players to exploit. Except last season no one seemed capable of scoring anything.

Carroll could probably be coached to improve there but as it stands he rarely looks comfortable with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom