• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Evolution or revolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Darwin Nunez signs, I don't think I would automatically upgrade our attack to 9/10 – it's too early to know how he will settle and early on in the adaptation process it's possible that he might actually someone decrease our cutting edge in some games if he plays instead of someone like Jota or Diaz who already know the league. On the other hand if he catches fire like Torres did and Salah, Jota and Diaz are all back to their best next season and Firmino finds something extra for his final season, 10/10 is not out of the realm of the possibility – but I'd rather be somewhat conservative and not expect too much too soon.

Last edited:
Lads, any ideas on upgrading this site. Likes don't do it for me anymore. I've laughed a lot as threads, and just giving it a "like" is way too reserved. I want to give some of these comments a bit more love. cheers

Lads, any ideas on upgrading this site. Likes don't do it for me anymore. I've laughed a lot as threads, and just giving it a "like" is way too reserved. I want to give some of these comments a bit more love. cheers
Hearts and flower emojis maybe ❤️;)

Edit joke lads , it’s a fucken footy forum WTF !

Last edited:
Evolution? What?

Also, I don't think you need an extensive knowledge of Portuguese football to pick our Nunez for 100M.

tactical evolution..!
your opinion, my opinion, both entitled to them ..

edit ;

It’s been quite a while now since Mane was a jet-heeled left winger capable of skipping past players with ludicrous ease before cutting inside and wreaking havoc in front of goal. Although not identical in profile, and not quite as prolific (yet), Luis Diaz has already picked up that particular baton while bringing several different qualities of his own to the party.
The player Liverpool are most likely losing is, instead, a centre-forward. In that sense, it’s entirely logical that they’ve chosen to go for a number nine rather than a wide forward to replace Mane. What’s really intriguing, though, is that this is the first time Klopp has pinpointed a conventional striker as a priority transfer target since joining Liverpool.

He enjoyed enormous success with Robert Lewandowski and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang at Borussia Dortmund, of course, but at Liverpool his success has been built around a front three comprising an extremely unorthodox, arguably unique focal point in Roberto Firmino, whose primary role has been to drop deep, drag defenders out of shape and create space and chances for Mane and Mohamed Salah to exploit. Firmino’s game time has dwindled significantly since the signing of Diogo Jota, but he too, while a completely different type of player to Firmino, wasn’t signed as an out-and-out number nine as such (though he’s shown he can be very effective through the middle in certain games).

Nunez therefore represents a pretty drastic departure from the kind of forward we’ve become accustomed to watching under Klopp (Divock Origi aside), which opens up all kinds of avenues for this team in terms of tactical evolution. While he could conceivably become the new lynchpin of the front three, providing a more physical presence in between Diaz (or Jota) and Salah in the standard 4-3-3 blueprint, he’s by no means a static penalty box poacher, and also more than capable of posing a threat from out wide on the left.

Last edited:

Well that's obviously inaccurate.

Minamino/Neco/Ox won't be here unless bids fail to reach our valuation.

More like Ramsey + A.N.Other midfielder.

Clearly however really it's too early to say with any degree of certainty (except it won't be as per that graphic) !

Last edited:
Yeah of course, the window has barely opened. :p Does show how "weak" the midfield department is compared to the defence and attack though.

Yeah of course, the window has barely opened. :p Does show how "weak" the midfield department is compared to the defence and attack though.

It does, but both Elliott and Carvalho are listed as forwards here. Not sure that will be the case.

Echo is speculating that we might change formation to Dortmund-like 4-2-3-1 next season to account for the relative lack of midfielders and surplus of attackers. Firmino or Carvalho at #10. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Where does this leave Elliott?

Last edited:
Echo is speculating that we might change formation to Dortmund-like 4-2-3-1 next season to account for the relative lack of midfielders and surplus of attackers. Firmino or Carvalho at #10. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Where does this leave Elliott?

Doesn't Carvalho play in midfield?

Pretty sure he plays as an attacking central midfielder for Fulham (in addition to playing out wide.).

Carvalho’s natural position is #10. In Klopp’s usual 4-3-3 system that can potentially turn into an attack-minded #8 like Ox or false 9 or a winger - we don’t know what Klopp will do yet. But with 4-2-3-1 Fabio would probably just play at #10 and this switch would allow Firmino to go back to his original #10 position as well - which might have the added benefit of giving Nunez a partner in attack. This might not be a very good news for Salah however as the wingers in 4-2-3-1 are usually deeper and have to do more defensive work than wing-forwards in 4-3-3.

Something like this:
2-BA29-E33-FF84-4238-B5-D7-621711725472.jpg

Last edited:
I don't really know what to make of this sort of thing.

Watching us, I do think we could stand to be a bit more creative. I lose count of the games where we seem to dominate possession but just don't turn it into really good chances.

But in terms of actual results, we must have won almost every game last season, except the ones against top 4. And it's in those games where I'd expect a slightly too conservative approach to really work. I'd have expected the problems to come in the games against weaker opposition, not being able to break them down etc, like we were under Benitez.

So it's a bit puzzling, really. My instinct is that we tend to have one too few creative players on the pitch, even now we've got Thiago. City certainly tend to have that extra one. But whether that was the problem I dunno. Maybe there wasn't even really a problem. Maybe we were just unlucky. But then.... City outplayed us twice, and Chelsea should've won at Anfield....

Carvalho’s natural position is #10. In Klopp’s usual 4-3-3 system that can potentially turn into an attack-minded #8 like Ox or false 9 or a winger - we don’t know what Klopp will do yet. But with 4-2-3-1 Fabio would probably just play at #10 and this switch would allow Firmino to go back to his original #10 position as well - which might have the added benefit of giving Nunez a partner in attack. This might not be a very good news for Salah however as the wingers in 4-2-3-1 are usually deeper and have to do more defensive work than wing-forwards in 4-3-3.

Something like this:
In that kind of scenario.. Elliot would be Salahs understudy and Jones would be Diaz's.

Gordon still has a bit to do for me.

Something like this:
I love a 4-2-3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom