• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

F1 2023

Brizzle

Deposed match thread starter
New season coming up. Pre-season testing done and first race coming up this weekend.

Who's watching, and any predictions?

Interesting comments from Mercedes that they are expecting to focus on development towards the end of the season (where they see more races in a shorter period of time).

RB & Ferrari look to be the front runners again. Will be interesting to see what the 'best of the rest' looks like, will Aston be quicker than Mercedes as the season starts?

Mclaren look to be going backwards.

Free practice 1 about to start. I think Alonso will be ahead of Hamilton early in the season whilst merc play catch-up. Looks like merc are dying on their sword re side pods.

Max is gonna walk it this season. Ferrari will still be Ferrari clowns despite the change in leadership.

[article]

Lewis Hamilton fears that the gap between Mercedes and their rivals has widened because of their decision to stick so closely to the design of last year’s car.

After a terrible first day’s practice at the Bahrain International Circuit, the headline news was the speed of Fernando Alonso in the Aston Martin and the evidence that Mercedes — who came third in the constructors’ standings last season, 244 points behind the dominant Red Bull — may be even less competitive than had been expected.

It was already established that Mercedes would require a few races to get their car into shape to start challenging the Red Bulls at the front of the grid. However, Hamilton’s damning assessment after two practice sessions was that they may not actually have caught up at all over the winter and that their problems may be down to the very “concept” of the car.

“There was progress through last year, but the gap wasn’t as big as it is now,” Hamilton, 38, said. “Do I believe we can close the gap at some stage? Yes. But I think it’s quite hard with the concept we have.”

The seven-times world champion, who finished a lowly sixth in last year’s drivers’ standings and failed to win a race during the season for the first time in his career, added: “We’ve got a lot to work on. We’ll continue to tweak bits here or there but it’s going to be milliseconds rather than closing the gap by a second. We look as if we are where we were last year, if not a little further behind. It’s certainly not where we wanted to be or where the team deserves to be.
“Everyone continues to work so hard but we’re just on the wrong track. Right now, we are a long way behind.”

Red Bull have picked up from where they left off, but the star of the show here was definitely Alonso. The evergreen Spaniard, 41, finished with the fastest lap time in the second practice session in the afternoon, ahead of Max Verstappen and Sergio Pérez in the two Red Bulls, followed by Charles Leclerc in the Ferrari. Hamilton was eighth and George Russell even further back in 13th.
42930b25d7f545d105b750179f4555c32405a42f.jpg

Alonso was fast in the earlier session too, when Pérez was the quickest. Alonso’s time managed to split the Red Bulls and push Verstappen down into third place. Aston Martin finished seventh in the constructors’ championship last season. The car had performed well in testing last week but this early show of form was better even than that display had suggested.

Alonso was modest about his high-performing Aston Martin. He called it “another step in the right direction” and said that “the car feels good but we need to wait and see”.

A more definitive test of whether Alonso and Aston Martin can really challenge the Red Bull dominance will come during qualifying under the lights this evening.

Red Bull are still expected to be the team to beat, with Ferrari and now Aston Martin challenging behind them. On this showing, however, Mercedes could find themselves a midfield team with a lot of work to do to emerge from the pack.

[/article]

Stroll was driving the AM for the first time with a fractured wrist and was still fifth or sixth in the standings. Safe to say the AM looks very strong and I wouldn't bet against Alonso getting back on the podium in the first few months. It's early days, but the switch to AM is looking like one of his better career moves

McLaren and Mercedes do not look happy camps.

Ferrari have a new TP and strategist so let's see if their desision making improve. It can't get much worse. Clearly they felt they could have competed for the Championship last year with the car they had, and it's hard to argue against it. The errors were largely man made than anything do with design or mechanical.

Max looks the clear favourite, but I'm hoping the Ferraris and Alonso can make it interesting.

First qualifying season was exciting.

2nd faded a bit..

3rd was just meh.. sandbags were off.

Still..All the teams are closer which bodes well for an exciting season.

The constantly changing pole sitter in Q1 was great to see. I do think the red bull could’ve gone quicker and Aston will be a little disappointed in their final positions.

I’d be looking forward to the race before our game but there’s a family event taking place. Bad planning by all involved.

The Red Bull are peerless. Alonso will have a lot of fun this season. Mercedes are fucked. Ferrari are, well, Ferrari. Williams looks ok. McLaren may as well concentrate on next season.

I think Mercedes have written off this season. All eggs into a new concept for 2024.
Unless something major happens then Hamilton will walk. He will probably retire as he won’t move to red bull or Ferrari which would be his only chance of a title.

The move to ground-effect cars has really benefitted Red Bull by having Newey as their lead designer. He's peerless within the sport and has enable Red Bull to leapfrog all else. I believe his protégé went to Aston Martin, so the improvement of the Aston Martin isn't completely surprising. Merc seem to be fucking around with a fundamentally flawed concept. The Ferrari is quick, but it can't get around the track without falling apart.

The McLaren car is basically the same as last year after their winter development got them nowhere, but they are reportedly working on some huge upgrades so they could return to the midfield. Norris isn't going to be happy bunny all year. He's got to have an eye on a future RB/Merc seat.

Last edited:
The move to ground-effect cars has really benefitted Red Bull by having Newey as their lead designer. He's peerless within the sport and has enable Red Bull to leapfrog all else. I believe his protégé went to Aston Martin, so the improvement of the Aston Martin isn't completely surprising. Merc seem to be fucking around with a fundamentally flawed concept. The Ferrari is quick, but it can't get around the track without falling apart.

The McLaren car is basically the same as last year after their winter development got them nowhere, but they are reportedly working on some huge upgrades so they could return to the midfield. Norris isn't going to be happy bunny all year. He's got to have an eye on a future RB/Merc seat.

I don't think Norris has the temperament for a better drive, he seems like a right twat who's let fame get to his head.

I don’t think Norris would cope with Max kicking his arse every race.

Mercedes are struggling to adapt to the cost cap era, and given it was essentially put in place because of them that isn't a bad thing. There is no rule in F1 that says Mercedes need to be one of the challengers.

The emergence of Aston is great in that it shows year to year a team can make huge in-roads based on the regulations around wind tunnel & development time.

I think this season is at risk of being a walk in the park for Red Bull - but the regs aren't there to stop that happening in any one season, but to try to prevent it from happening for 8 seasons in a row. Hopefully we see over the course of this season and next more challengers step up and continue closing the gap.

Mercedes are struggling to adapt to the cost cap era, and given it was essentially put in place because of them that isn't a bad thing. There is no rule in F1 that says Mercedes need to be one of the challengers.

The emergence of Aston is great in that it shows year to year a team can make huge in-roads based on the regulations around wind tunnel & development time.

I think this season is at risk of being a walk in the park for Red Bull - but the regs aren't there to stop that happening in any one season, but to try to prevent it from happening for 8 seasons in a row. Hopefully we see over the course of this season and next more challengers step up and continue closing the gap.
They aren't struggling to adapt to the cost cap era.

They are struggling partially due to a brain drain.. other teams taking their key engineers.

And partially due to going down the wrong road last year with the side pod.

They hoped it would gain a significant advantage, something if they'd kept their key engineers would probably not have occurred.

Let's not forget, RB have effectively cheated their way to their dominance by breaching the limits.

2021 champion *
2022 champion *

2023 champion*
Ultimately more than Hamilton champion*

Even then I don't think they will give a shit about all these *s.

2023 champion*
Ultimately more than Hamilton champion*

Even then I don't think they will give a shit about all these *s.
I mean people say all the time that 'lulu can't do it without a dominant car'

Verstappen can't do it without cheating :)

It’s going to be a great race tomorrow. Verstappen will slice through the field till he reaches Alonso. That’s going to be fun to watch.

They aren't struggling to adapt to the cost cap era.

They are struggling partially due to a brain drain.. other teams taking their key engineers.

And partially due to going down the wrong road last year with the side pod.

They hoped it would gain a significant advantage, something if they'd kept their key engineers would probably not have occurred.

Let's not forget, RB have effectively cheated their way to their dominance by breaching the limits.

2021 champion *
2022 champion *

If spending $400k over the course of a season could create a 1s gap on the field then surely every other team would be finding a way to invest such a small amount?

You sound like the city & united fans who put an asterisk against our title win during the covid season.

Max is bored as fuck. Hamilton showing his true talent. Loving Alonso’s last dance.

This is going to be a boss race. Hamilton ahead of 3 faster cars. Max looks chilled as fuck. I think he will win with ease. Possibly both McLarens will finish ahead of the mercs.

Perez is a waste of space. Danny out qualifies Yuki which surprised me a little. Fuck the tories with Russell right towards the back hahahahahahahahahaha

This is going to be a boss race. Hamilton ahead of 3 faster cars. Max looks chilled as fuck. I think he will win with ease. Possibly both McLarens will finish ahead of the mercs.

Perez is a waste of space. Danny out qualifies Yuki which surprised me a little. Fuck the tories with Russell right towards the back hahahahahahahahahaha
Was a pretty shit race tbh. Verstappen bossed it. Checo driver of the day.

Red Bull and Max are making a mockery of whole classification. He'll likely win 90% plus of the remaining races and set further records.

McLaren have stepped up to make the race for 2 and 3 more interesting. It' s a pity Aston Martin haven't kept up with the development of other cars. They're seemingly getting left behind in recent months.

I wouldn't place any on money on Perez still being at RB in 24/25. His qualifying needs to sharpen up.

Spa will probably be dry today but I still think this will be a belter race. With Max’s penalty it will be a struggle for him to lap the entire field.

Back
Top Bottom