• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Fun Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

rurikbird

Part of the Furniture
Honorary Member

It’s possible that Fulham was his last game for the club. If so, what a legend! One of the most fun CBs to watch; it’s rare a player puts a smile on your face as much as Matip does. There is just something about him…

His spotty injury record tarnished his career somewhat, but at his best he even outshone Van Dijk regularly; if this is the end I’m glad he left on a high, playing some of the best football of his career.

Last edited:
If he was available more, him and VVD would have been considered one of premier league's best ever CB pairings. Matip and VVD at their best was on par with anything I have seen in the PL - the defending, ability to handle aerial bombardment, ability to keep up with pacy attackers, positioning, decision making, long passing, through balls, dribbling through lines, they had them all.

Awful news and gutting to hear. A legend and as Modo says one of the best free transfers ever.

Terrible news. You forget how good he is sometimes. What a player.
Dare I say it, better than Hyppia?

Oh, I'm not sure about that one. Hyypia was more available.
I think they're close, but Hyypia just edges it for me.
Matip won everything and crucially a league title and would have 4 if not for the corruption of City. I loved Hyppia but he was slow and certainly nowhere near as good bringing the ball. Brilliant in the air and his reading of the game was excellent but so is Matips.

Matip won everything and crucially a league title and would have 4 if not for the corruption of City. I loved Hyppia but he was slow and certainly nowhere near as good bringing the ball. Brilliant in the air and his reading of the game was excellent but so is Matips.
When you put it like that...
Don't forget Hyypia won everything except the league title and started in all of the finals.

Can we just agree he’s been fucking stellar when available and a great guy to boot.

so gutted for him (and us) that this is the end of his time with us.

When you put it like that...
Don't forget Hyypia won everything except the league title and started in all of the finals.
He did but the league was the holy grail for a long time and eluded all the greats from 1990 to 2020.

We need to buy. We needed to anyway, but I understand why we didn't because we've put enormous faith in young Quansah, who has been brilliant to be fair. But we can't rely on Konate and Gomez to stay fit either, and while VVD has been much better this season, he's playing every game at the minute.

And yeah, Matip has been a great signing and is a top player, just a shame he has so many injury issues.

Awful news, he's been excellent for us, if he recovers hopefully a new contract.

Oh, I'm not sure about that one. Hyypia was more available.
I think they're close, but Hyypia just edges it for me.

I like matip a lot.

For me, Hyppia was better, and more important to a worse team. I don't even think it is that close, but perhaps a lot of that is longevity.

I like the cbs that do it with their brain.

Nah, Hyypia is a touch above Joel, as much as I like him. He was an undisputed starter for almost the entirety of his time here, unlike Matip who had periods when Konate or even Gomez were preferred (or was he injured during Gomez’s long-ish run in the team?) But anyway, Joel is among the best Liverpool defenders of the last 20 years, I think we can all agree on that. And had a bit of a cult hero vibe about him too, unlike many others.

Hyppia was amazing in a Rafa and GH system. Not sure he would have been that effective in a Klopp system. Matip would have been brilliant in both.

But the most important trait of a footballer is being available. Hyppia wins that by a mile.

I still have a soft spot for me and believe he could do a job.
He returns in the new year as his loan was just 4 months to cover an injury crisis at Celtic. Brodgers has played him more in the CL games preferring Liam Scales in the league as he is better playing out from the back which is Brodgers trademark up north

I was thinking that Philips return would provide sufficient cover / squad depth to get Joel fit again. Hearing the news it’s an ACL I’m now thinking we need to think hard about what funds we can put together and who is available that makes sense as a long term purchase.

It would be great if there were someone decent available for loan

By the way, the fact that we are having the discussion about matip is a mark of huge respect. Well. That and modo feeling sentimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom