• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Gerrard to Saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Yeah Saudi chops journalists to pieces yet you still have an iPhone' is so fucking pathetic.

Anyone can apply whataboutism to anything in some dick brained effort to determine that everything means nothing.

If that's the case then shut the fuck up. If everything is as equally pointless as everything else then your opinion is definitely worth nowt.

Im not saying none of it matters at all but claiming Gerrard is some horrible person for taking this job is a stretch.

There’s a big difference though, between buying something that may be backed by Saudi money and being directly paid by Saudi’s to effectively promote them.

Again, if you do want to remove any sort of morality from the argument, then it boils us as a species down to being purely about the desire for money.
Hence I asked the question. Indirect support is ok then?
Not the desire for money, the desire for status and security. Money is just a very powerful vehicle.

I found out when I was an adult that my dad had an offer to work in pharmaceuticals in South Africa, and it would have been a life changing amount of money. He refused because he didn't want us to be raised in a country with apartheid behind a fence with an armed guard he was paying.

I'm not spending much time judging Steven Gerrard, and my dad was a cunt sometimes, but I'm allowed to think Stevie G is a less substantial person and that my dad's moral compass could thump him.
Thats very impressive. South Africa’s home security is equally impressive and scary as hell.

Its been reported that he'll earn 8 mill £ per year in the Saudis. His contract at Villa was 5 mill £ year.
I dont really understand why he would accept that managerial role when the money isnt that much better and that it wont improve his managerial reputation. Someone has clearly advised him badly or he (as Woland said) just knows he's a bit shit.

He should have taken a step back and started fresh in the Championship or for a lower PL team for less money.

Its been reported that he'll earn 8 mill £ per year in the Saudis. His contract at Villa was 5 mill £ year.
I dont really understand why he would accept that managerial role when the money isnt that much better and that it wont improve his managerial reputation. Someone has clearly advised him badly or he (as Woland said) just knows he's a bit shit.

He should have taken a step back and started fresh in the Championship or for a lower PL team for less money.
100%

I couldn't care less what he does, what he earns or where he earns it.

Loved him as a player but that time has passed. He's clearly not going to be a great manager, which will hopefully put him out of the running for us, so the interest is done.

As for all the Saudi shit, we just had a shit winter World Cup built on slave labour, corruption and lies. Everyone still watched it.

The game is fucked for sure but we're all in too deep to leave it at this point.

Hence I asked the question. Indirect support is ok then?
Not the desire for money, the desire for status and security. Money is just a very powerful vehicle.

It kind of depends doesn’t it - as to whether the indirect support is known or unknown - I don’t expect people to research every single product they buy to identity every strand of ownership - but also, complete ignorance is not an excuse either.

His family are more secure than yours or mine will ever be - so I don’t buy that shit either.

I suspect Steven Gerrard won’t give two fucks if he drops a little if my estimation - but I also don’t buy any of that status & security bullshit - be honest - he’s doing it for the money, they all are - that’s what they love more than anything.

He’s made some really shit and stupid decisions in his career, which very rapidly lead you to the conclusion that’s he is very self orientated and, not really that smart.

Imagine having the opportunity to learn from and understudy Klopp and not taking it.

He really is $tevieMe.

Shame, but there you go.

Last edited:
We can all make a difference in this world if we choose to. We just don’t want to be arsed so we justify it or tell others all kids of justifications.

Gerard’s already super rich. He doesn’t need the money like Farkies family did. Yet he’s still taking the money. If Farkies dad can make this decision, Stevie sure can. That’s a clueless, doesn’t care for anyone else, type of fool right there in my opinion.

Stevie me indeed

As many of us old codgers know Back in the 1980s, South Africa tried to bring in musical artists from around the world to play Sun City for a huge paycheck. It was an effort to legitimize apartheid. It was like what Saudi Arabia is doing but through music. Music washing

People of good conscience refused. And decades later apartheid is gone.

Last edited:
Im not saying none of it matters at all but claiming Gerrard is some horrible person for taking this job is a stretch.

Is it really? An every day fella like Farky's old man can take a stance against an evil régime, but a bloke who's already a multi-millionaire and who'd have plenty of opportunity to make loads more money without going there cannot? Fuck that. His choice was between what's easy and what's right... I hoped that he'd choose what's right. He did not. The why doesn't matter.

Worshiped him as a player. Incredibly disappointed in him as a person. Not surprised, sadly, but disappointed.

Similar to how I feel about many of the posts in this thread, actually.

Out of interest, people who may like Gerrard a little less now, do you like Firmino and Fowler a little less too? Is it somehow worse in the case of Gerrard?

Not trying to catch anyone out or anything, I am genuinely curious. As much as I loved Gerrard as a player, I've never got the impression that he is an amazing person really so can't really get riled up over it.

I feel the same about them both. They’ve really taken the shit option here. Respect for all three similarly declined. Especially Firminiho

I've never got the impression that he is an amazing person really so can't really get riled up over it.

Is anybody perfect and live life to the upmost morally every second of every minute of every hour etc of their lives? No.

Even the most well respected icons in history made mistakes.

People are gonna do what's best for themselves and their families, this is THE priority in life.

Is he hurting anybody by working out there? No.

Is anybody perfect and live life to the upmost morally every second of every minute of every hour etc of their lives? No.

People are gonna do what's best for themselves and their families, this is THE priority in life.

Yes, that's my point. I never expected him to be perfect, and I'm not really that fussed what he does. I haven't been slagging him off.

Woland shut the fuck up you irritating twat. Your attempts to throw out insults in a humorous manner fails every time. "Phenominally thick" wire your mouth in you fool acting like you're some notorious gangster from mafia in the 40s.

Maybe because I don't try desperately hard with every other word I type to come up with the most perfectly constructed sentences and look for people to lap up to me and kiss my arse.

It's 1 more than can be said for you anyway and now I know what really gets under your skin & drives you up the wall, I hope more Liverpool greats end up in Saudi.

:cigar:

iu

As many of us old codgers know Back in the 1980s, South Africa tried to bring in musical artists from around the world to play Sun City for a huge paycheck. It was an effort to legitimize apartheid. It was like what Saudi Arabia is doing but through music. Music washing

People of good conscience refused. And decades later apartheid is gone.

And just as FYI, the boycott of South Africa never stopped their exports *and* wasn't what forced de klerk to suddenly realize it was over ... though I do fully get why people are pissed at stevie, and I don't get his decision (professionally, financially or morally), there is no way to stop the power of the Saudis (or qataris) no matter what us folk do, or even famous folks like Stevie.

Of course he’s allowed to make mistakes - but the point is people also have a right to be disappointed with the decisions that people make.

Again - I’m sorry, but the “did it for my family” is utter bullshit - call it what it is - he did it for the money because he likes money and he doesn’t care what anyone thinks.

I’m sort of surprised that Bobby went there. Fowler probably less so, because he wants to be a manager and no-one else will give him a manager gig.

I think people can get too precious about this sort of things, but equally it’s right to call people out for doing questionable things.

And just as FYI, the boycott of South Africa never stopped their exports *and* wasn't what forced de klerk to suddenly realize it was over ... though I do fully get why people are pissed at stevie, and I don't get his decision (professionally, financially or morally), there is no way to stop the power of the Saudis (or qataris) no matter what us folk do, or even famous folks like Stevie.

Nope, there isn't. But we don't have to actively involve ourselves in it either...

[article]The FA have lost one of their highly rated age-group coaches to the allure of Saudi Arabian cash with England under 20 manager Ian Foster agreeing to join Steven Gerrard at his new club Al-Ettifaq.

Mail Sport has learned that Foster, who led England to the last 16 of the under 20 World Cup in May having won the European Championship with the under 19’s two years ago, resigned last week in favour of a move to the Saudi Pro League as Gerrard’s assistant.

Foster began his playing career at Liverpool where he got to know Gerrard before their paths diverged, going on to play for Hereford, Barrow and Chester before moving into management with League of Ireland club Galway.

The 46-year-old has been with the FA for eight years and has managed every male age-group side from the under 17’s to under 20s, as well as serving as assistant manager to Phil Neville when he was in charge of England Women.

Gerrard is the first ex-Premier League manager to join a Saudi Pro League club after numerous superstars including Cristiano Ronaldo, Karim Benzema and N’Golo Kante signed playing contracts over the last few months.

The former Aston Villa and Rangers boss is seeking to take several other Premier League players with him to Al-Ettifaq, who finished seventh in the Pro League last season, and has held talks with Wilfried Zaha and Jordan Henderson.

[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom