• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Hendo on why he left

Status
Not open for further replies.
genuinely if he comes back over Xmas for his presentation to the fans and a chance to say goodbye as Klopp intimated wants to happen I'm not sure he will get applauded as sad as it is

genuinely if he comes back over Xmas for his presentation to the fans and a chance to say goodbye as Klopp intimated wants to happen I'm not sure he will get applauded as sad as it is
I think the Anfield crowd will show their appreciation for him and rightly so. I think we can keep football and politics separated for 2 hours.
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior.

I think the Anfield crowd will show their appreciation for him and rightly so. I think we can keep football and politics separated for 2 hours.
It's easy to be a keyboard warrior.
let's see what kind of reception he gets at Wembley for Engurland first eh

Last edited by a moderator:
As if I'm going to read that dross.

He's a money-grabbing hypocrite cunt. That's the real reason.
Basically.
It's not even worth wasting your time reading it because he say actually nothing. Wants you believe that money had nothing to do with and was never discussed untill Gerard had sold him on this fabulous project... It made him feel wanted...
He still holds true to his values and understands that the rainbow armband might offend Saudi religion so it's OK for his to grey it out.. This comment alone is a massive smack in the face to LGBTQ community

He'd have gone up in my estimation if he was honest and just went "yeah, course i took the money, who says no to £700k a week and the chance to stone a few gays at half time"

Some comments online. Lots of comments about lying...

"He is right ..Jordan Henderson grew up with the dream of playing for El Attifaq ..What a dream come true for the lad"

"Only jumped on the
1f308.png
(rainbow) bandwagon to stay relevant. til the
1f4b0.png
(money) was waved in his face "

"Like literally everyone knows he’s lying."

"he went to win european trophies"

"Take a pay cut then
1f602.png
1f602.png
"

Fair play to the Athletic for questioning him properly and posting the full transcript.

It's wild he did this without a direct apology to the LGBT community. The wish to "grow the game" is the most tedious, laughable bullshit and he clearly thinks people are thick enough to swallow it. If Henderson had come clean and said I took the money to set myself up for life then you could understand, but now he's lying ontop of an already questionable decision. If he's not apologising then he should have just shut up and kept quiet.

Complete dunce.

Last edited:
If he felt unwanted at Liverpool then why didn't he try and find another club in this country or another that didn't have the same moralistic problems for his sporting persona? Probably because they wouldn't have given him anywhere near the same tax free salary so stop bullshitting. Either admit it was for the money (which is reason enough for me) or say nothing but don't try this justification nonsense.
No one is arsed about Bobby or Fabinho going over there to earn a fortune but they didn't openly support causes that are at odds with the new country and regime that now pay his wages and that's why they aren't getting any shit. Frustrates me when people want the moral high ground but won't accept criticism when their actions betray their own supposed beliefs.

Interesting how he kept mentioning his 'beliefs' in regard to LBGT, yet not once did he go into what exactly those beliefs were. And the interview wasn't even in Saudi. Wimp.

" I wouldn’t rule that out (wearing rainbow shoe laces),” he said. “But at the same time, what I wouldn’t do is disrespect the religion and culture in Saudi Arabia. If we’re all saying everybody can be who they want to be and everybody is inclusive, then we’ll have to respect that. “We’ll have to respect everyone. And by doing something like that, if that did disrespect the religion, then no, I’m not going to do that."

The midfielder again insisted it would not be right for him to wear rainbow colour as it would be insulting to the local culture and religion.
“I didn’t know anything about it until it was out," he added ."And it’s hard for me to know and understand everything because it is part of the religion.
“So if I wear the rainbow armband, if that disrespects their religion, then that’s not right either. Everybody should be respectful of religion and culture. That’s what I think we’re all trying to fight for here in terms of inclusion and everything.”

I'm not sure we have to respect someone's culture of persecution?

Last edited:
Jordan Henderson: “I saw Jurgen said a few days ago that he’s really happy with the transfer window and he loves his team…”, told The Athletic “This tells you the players that left, he probably wanted to go and the players that have come in, he probably wanted to sign”.

He's coming off really badly ... what's Klopp supposed to say?
I wish Hendo would have stayed so I could have had him to lead my boys?
BUT YOU said he didn't make you feel needed ...

Last edited:
Does this sound like a captain? He actually believes he was good enough to keep starting for us. He thought he was HIM, huh?
Comes off as classless, whiny and butthurt.

" I wouldn’t rule that out (wearing rainbow shoe laces),” he said. “But at the same time, what I wouldn’t do is disrespect the religion and culture in Saudi Arabia. If we’re all saying everybody can be who they want to be and everybody is inclusive, then we’ll have to respect that. “We’ll have to respect everyone. And by doing something like that, if that did disrespect the religion, then no, I’m not going to do that."

The midfielder again insisted it would not be right for him to wear rainbow colour as it would be insulting to the local culture and religion.
“I didn’t know anything about it until it was out," he added ."And it’s hard for me to know and understand everything because it is part of the religion.
“So if I wear the rainbow armband, if that disrespects their religion, then that’s not right either. Everybody should be respectful of religion and culture. That’s what I think we’re all trying to fight for here in terms of inclusion and everything.”

I'm not sure we have to respect someone's culture of persecution?

100% this.

The nazis had their culture in the 1930s and beyond... Not every culture or belief warrants respect, FFS.

Idiot.

The sheer ignorance, on so many levels in this thread is amazing.

6 months ago Hendo represented everything about the great LFC and its amazing fanbase.
He understood the history, really got the pulse of the nation on so many issues..
We adored him for his views on social issues lgbt, BLM, nurses etc.. what a hero.

To the point any criticism of his footballing ability was also shunned.

Now, he's a sell our mercenary who don't know shit.

Either Hendo changed in a few months or you've been played for years. And if it's the later then you need to question all the other stuff around the club the player values words etc.

The sheer ignorance, on so many levels in this thread is amazing.

6 months ago Hendo represented everything about the great LFC and its amazing fanbase.
He understood the history, really got the pulse of the nation on so many issues..
We adored him for his views on social issues lgbt, BLM, nurses etc.. what a hero.

To the point any criticism of his footballing ability was also shunned.

Now, he's a sell our mercenary who don't know shit.

Either Hendo changed in a few months or you've been played for years. And if it's the later then you need to question all the other stuff around the club the player values words etc.

He's a sell-out mercenary, for sure.

And, yes... I loved him until this happened. But THIS is a huge thing (for me, at least. And for many others, it seems) and that's how it works - I tend to like people that seem likeable, until they prove themselves hypocrites that have fooled me all along.

And I don't know about 'he doesn't know shit', but he's not nearly as smart as I thought him, if he really feels this interview does anything but make him look an even bigger hypocrite that he's already proved himself.

Oh, and he's a liar, too... 'I didn't feel wanted'?!?!?! Fuck off. Jurgen treated him like a son, FFS.

Not sure where the 'sheer ignorance' is, to be honest?

Oh, and he's a liar, too... 'I didn't feel wanted'?!?!?! Fuck off. Jurgen treated him like a son, FFS.

I think Jurgen told him there will be a major signing made in his position this summer and his playing time was not guaranteed. Hendo’s first reaction was to train harder, come back to the pre-season in possibly the best physical shape of his life and fight for his place - a perfect reaction you would expect from someone like him. But then the Saudi offer came and the combination of money + the prospect of working under Gerrard and feeling important at his new club instead of increasingly peripheral here turned his head - again, no judgment there, he was under no moral obligation to turn down millions.

Unfortunately now because the decision was so difficult he feels the pressure in his own head to justify it and that led to this interview which does come across as whiny. I don’t think he is lying, but he is subconsciously exaggerating things in trying to justify his decision and it doesn’t look good. Being told your playing time will probably decrease due to competition is obviously not the same as being pushed out.

Last edited:
I think that you're probably right, mate. But none of that = not wanted by anybody. You know and I know (and he knows) that Jurgen wanted him to stay forever, for his influence and leadership within the room as much (and now more so) than his footballing ability.

Poor Hendo - he just wants a hug.

He just better be careful who he gets a hug from in public, in case someone gets the wrong idea and he’s invited to the consulate to get his visa checked.

I think that you're probably right, mate. But none of that = not wanted by anybody. You know and I know (and he knows) that Jurgen wanted him to stay forever, for his influence and leadership within the room as much (and now more so) than his footballing ability.

We're all agreed it's nonsense to say he "wasn't wanted", Derek. I think the point rurik is making, rightly IMO, is that the pressure of the situation has overwhelmed Henderson and bumrushed the guy into making such silly statements. Deep down I suspect he doesn't believe that cr@pola himself and is therefore shouting all the louder to try and drown out that little voice in his head.

Last edited:
Jordan Henderson’s interview fails to explain his U-turn on LGBTQ+ allyship

Chloe Morgan
Sep 6, 2023
Former Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson spoke exclusively to The Athletic this week about his controversial decision to join Saudi Pro League side Al Ettifaq and play in a country that criminalises homosexuality.
Henderson_TheAthletic_040923-011-1024x624.jpg

GO DEEPER
Jordan Henderson: I strongly believe that me playing in Saudi Arabia is a positive thing
Here, The Athletic offers a selection of Henderson’s comments — edited in places for brevity — with analysis from women’s football editor Chloe Morgan, in which she, as part of the LGBTQ+ community, shares her opinion about what the England international said.

Jordan Henderson: I’m not a politician. I never have been and never wanted to be. I have never tried to change laws or rules in England, never mind in a different country where I’m not from. So I’m not saying that I’m going there to do that. People know what my values are and the people who know me know what my values are.
I’ve gone above and beyond to help. I’ve worn the laces. I’ve worn the armband. I’ve spoken to people in that community to try to use my profile to help them. That’s all I’ve ever tried to do. I’m not going to sit here saying, “Why are they criticising me?” I understand it. These are all the things I was thinking about, and I do care. When I hear stuff like, “You’ve turned your back on us,” that hurts me. I do care. I have family and friends in the LGBTQ+ community.
Chloe Morgan: Henderson is not a politician, agreed, but, as a former captain of a Premier League side, one of the biggest clubs in world football, he is in a position of power with a significant amount of influence spanning different generations and countries.
No one asked Henderson to put himself out there as being one of the most outspoken LGBTQ+ allies in English football. He chose that role — in preparing marketing material for Liverpool matchday programmes, in helping to activate Pride Month campaigns, in wearing the Rainbow Laces and rainbow armband. Henderson said he felt “incredibly proud” to be regarded as an ally and yet he has failed to understand that the whole purpose of allyship is to stand united with those from affected communities and to fight the same fight with them.
To now openly say that it was never his intention to change laws and rules (to improve the position for the LGBTQ+ community) makes me question what he thought we were all trying to achieve, because ‘change’ is the ultimate objective.
To confirm that it definitely isn’t his intention to speak out about the Saudi Arabian laws that criminalise homosexuality and instead, just silently hold a belief, is weak and a missed opportunity to show solidarity and at least try to improve the position for the thousands of LGBTQ+ fans who came out to support him.
Henderson_TheAthletic_040923-014-scaled.jpg

Henderson talks to The Athletic’s Adam Crafton and David Ornstein earlier this week (Ian Hodgson)

Henderson: It can only be a positive thing to try to open up, like around Qatar. In the end, around Qatar, having a World Cup there shined a light on certain issues where, I might be wrong, but they changed some rules and regulations to host the World Cup and that’s positive. That’s the way you try to create positive change. And I’m not saying that I can do that. I’m one person.
Morgan: The fact Henderson is unable to go into specifics about any rule or regulation changes made around the Men’s World Cup in Qatar — going as far as to caveat with “I might be wrong” — is telling.
Despite Qatar saying, before the start of the 2022 tournament, that all fans would be welcome without discrimination, it was — and continues — to hold the position that homosexuality is illegal. Days before the tournament, former Qatar international and World Cup ambassador Khalid Salman described homosexuality as a “damage in the mind”.
The English FA and FIFA had to have meetings with the Qatar organising committee to try to seek an agreement that same-sex couples kissing or holding hands would not be imprisoned. There were reports of rainbow flags, T-shirts and other symbols representing the LGBTQ+ community being banned and confiscated.
It is ignorant to vaguely refer to some temporary rules that came into effect for the duration of the tournament to provide the most sparse level of protection to those in the LGBTQ+ community. It shows a complete lack of understanding about the ongoing threat to those within the community.

Henderson: I wouldn’t rule that (wearing rainbow laces) out. But at the same time, what I wouldn’t do is disrespect the religion and culture in Saudi Arabia. If we’re all saying everybody can be who they want to be and everybody is inclusive, then we’ll have to respect that. We’ll have to respect everyone. And by doing something like that, if that did disrespect the religion, then no, I’m not going to do that. But if the opportunity comes where I can do it and it doesn’t, then yeah, because that’s my values.
It’s hard for me to know and understand everything because it is part of the religion. So if I wear the rainbow armband, if that disrespects their religion, then that’s not right either. Everybody should be respectful of religion and culture. That’s what we’re all trying to fight for here in terms of inclusion and everything.
ADVERTISEMENT
Morgan: The conflict between religion and sexuality is age-old and even I, as a part of the LGBTQ+ community, can understand (while wholly disagreeing) there being a need to balance competing rights and beliefs.
The issue is Saudi Arabia’s laws actively exclude and discriminate against a section of society simply trying to exist. Saudi Arabia does not allow religion and sexuality to co-exist. It is punishing sexuality and suppressing the rights of some of its people.
The fight is not one of disrespecting religion, it is one of asserting the rights of a group of people to ensure that everybody is treated equally in the eyes of the law.
I’ve never been a fan of the idea that the rainbow armband and laces are the golden standard of allyship in football. It’s a small gesture and easily done but how powerful would it have been for Henderson to have continued to wear the laces in the face of the backlash.
Because that’s where it really matters, that’s when it really counts — will you show up and stand up to support the community when there’s some personal risk to you? Henderson’s answer is clear.
GettyImages-1229983738-scaled.jpg

Henderson wearing a rainbow armband as Liverpool captain (Peter Powell/PA Images via Getty Images)

Henderson: You know, years ago, for instance, women or kids probably couldn’t play football, but now I’m over there and there’s loads of women and girls playing football, so slowly things can change. I can’t promise anything, but what I can do is sit here and say I have my values and beliefs. And I strongly believe that me playing in Saudi Arabia is a positive thing.
Morgan: This just feels like another vague reference to topics that Henderson appears to know very little about. I’m sure what he meant by “years ago, women or kids probably couldn’t play football” was that even as late as 2016, women were banned from playing in regional and national football and that only in 2018 were women allowed to enter stadiums.
ADVERTISEMENT
And that doesn’t even scratch the surface of the issues surrounding women’s rights in Saudi. It was only in December 2019 that the government ended gender segregation in restaurants and in August the same year, the ban was lifted on women holding passports and traveling abroad without the consent of a male guardian. Meanwhile, women were only granted permission to apply for driving licences in 2018.
It’s hard to say what Henderson means when he says that “loads of women and girls” play football now, and that he’s seen them. The first women’s league in Saudi was only set up in 2020 and is not part of Saudi’s national football federation, which includes leagues and youth programmes for men and boys. The Saudi women’s national team was only established in August 2021 and they played their first game in February 2022.
Henderson’s example of how ‘great’ the position is now for women and girls playing football in Saudi and how we should all just appreciate change happens slowly shows a lack of thought, understanding and knowledge about the previous and ongoing position for another group disadvantaged by a lack of rights in Saudi.
GettyImages-1599408479-scaled.jpg

Henderson celebrates a win in Saudi Arabia (Ali Alhaji/AFP via Getty Images)

Henderson: A perfect example would be before Qatar. We had a meeting with the FA about human rights, about the issues around the stadiums. I think it might have been Amnesty who had sent the images and stuff. And then, half an hour later, I go into a press conference or some media and I’ve commented on that situation. I was like, “Well, it was quite shocking and horrendous” and that was quite hard for us to see. But then when I went to Qatar and we had the experience we had at the World Cup, you get to meet the workers there and it was totally different.
Morgan: I don’t know why Henderson has used this example to try and highlight the disparity between what is portrayed in the media and what is reality. The human rights abuses that occurred in the preparation for the Qatar World Cup are not fiction or a bunch of publications being overly dramatic about something insignificant.
According to Amnesty International’s website: “In November, the European Parliament urged football’s international governing body FIFA and Qatar to compensate migrant workers and expand the Workers’ Support and Insurance Fund to include all deaths and other abuses of human rights related to the preparations for the World Cup.
The Amnesty report findings were damning: migrant workers faced employer wage theft, discrimination, abuse (working excessive hours, lack of rest days, arbitrary financial penalties).
In terms of the LGBTQ+ findings: “Despite vague reassurances given by the World Cup organisers that everyone would be welcome in Qatar, players were threatened with on-field sanctions if they wore pro-LGBTI rights armbands. Fans had rainbow items confiscated, and a few journalists were harassed for showing their support of LGBTI people”
ADVERTISEMENT
Henderson, as a high-profile footballer, should have known better than to assume that his version of the World Cup was the real version. And if he did, his naivety is pretty grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom