• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

In game chat option

Do you want a real-time chat function during the match

• Yes, would love it

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Not sure, can we trial it

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Nope, I’ll stick to a normal thread thanks

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dee

Part of the Furniture
Administrator
So @6TimesaRed has been beavering away on the new features we have available and adding add-ons like crazy. One of the more interesting ones is real time chat (actually TBH I nagged him to find!).

Personally I find it a ball ache to be constantly refreshing the thread to see what forum chat there is in game whilst watching. I was hoping this new forum version would give us a real time option. Which is does thanks to an add-on. Jono has been configuring it over the last few days and it was ready for yesterday but we failed to announce it.

Hence this post. Is it just me or do you all fancy giving it a go. JUST FOR THE MATCH.

Pros.
Real Time update, no need to refresh
Posts can have smilies and text and uploaded images (thanks Jono)
Works in the app as well as desktop

Cons
Youll see updates from the people with the fastest source of the match first. For some that means knowing Nunez was offside minutes before ithappens (again :) )
No reactions (likes)
the format means you only see the last 4 or 5 comments without scrolling

Cons:
No real discussions either, just reactions.

I'm willing to give it a try though.
Looking forward to spoiling three o clock games, LOL

I’d suggest if we did try it, we’d need to lock the pre match thread and open a post match one straight after the end (you can argue amongst yourselves who the post match thread starter has to be lol)

If I'm totally honest, I don't really fancy it personally, but I'm open to giving it a try.
I didn't really see the point but I get the advantage of not having to refresh all the time now that you've explained that.
I'd hope others will be open minded too. Let's give it a go and we can always can it if it doesn't work out.
Appreciate you guys trying out some new stuff to try to improve the experience for the rest of us.

One thing we could also throw in could be a half-time chat thread to have longer “summaries” and thoughts. Probably a bit too much admin though

I'm afraid it's going to look like this:

CHATBOX:

Modo: sub Nunez
Binomial: Fuck off
darkstarexodus: :yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard:
Fabio: :poop:
Moron: I'd like to **** Jones off :p
Dee: :wtf:
StevieM: Trent shouldn't play in midfield
Halmeister: It's got draw written all over it
My_Blood_Bleeds_Red: Full on donkey mode right now
Gkmacca: Modo is a cunt
Frogfish: We need 12 midfielders and I agree with the above statement
Dreambeliever: Rashford is world class
StevieM: What game are you watching?
King Binny: Current xG is 4.9
Hansern: I blame the ref
mark1975: I'd bring on Elliott
Rurik: Quansah has all the qualities of a top class CF
Bluebell: We're interested in a 19 year old DM currently playing in the 2nd tier of the Bulgarian league. Youtube clip

CHATBOX:

darkstarexodus: :yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard::yellowcard:
Bluebell: We're interested in a 19 year old DM currently playing in the 2nd tier of the Bulgarian league. Youtube clip
On this basis, I voted no.

Whatever happened between you and GK? I don't think I ever grasped what the problem was.

CHATBOX:

Yepp and so much more compact than a forum thread

Obviously me.
I was insufferable a few years back. Some took it personally.
Which reminded me I had you on ignore for a year or so, which reminded me that ignore isn’t honoured in RT chat

I don't overly like the chat option.

A humble like farmer such as myself would lose out on some mighty fine crops, if they're getting lost in the dust bowl that is a fast living chat

You could run a chat box in tandem with leaving the match thread open. One for discussions, one for short real time chat. Presuming you can't reply to things in a chatbox etc.

Happy to trial it.

My Sky Go runs a minute behind, so the spoilers could get annoying but still happy to try it. It might boost some engagement

Is an auto-refreshing thread a possibility?

You could run a chat box in tandem with leaving the match thread open. One for discussions, one for short real time chat. Presuming you can't reply to things in a chatbox etc.
Reply is possible but your suggestion a possibility

Happy to trial it.

My Sky Go runs a minute behind, so the spoilers could get annoying but still happy to try it. It might boost some engagement

Is an auto-refreshing thread a possibility?
That’s what real time chat is effectively. You just lose a few thread features (ignore, reactions, gifs)

However, there’s the auto refresh on what’s new. Maybe that’s a compromise option @6TimesaRed ?

As I mentioned in the Chat..

I found this.. https://xenforo.com/community/resources/chat-2-by-siropu.5762/ but there is a small cost associated with it.. but may work better than the solution I have put in..

Here is demo... https://www.siropu.com/forums/chat/

Set your nickname.. using /nick seems open to guests..

Seems very feature rich.. and easy to manage.. obv I would not open it to guest.. but you also have the option to create different Chat rooms

Some of the cons with the current solution.. you noted are remediated by this.. its a feature rich solution..

Has a lot of features like old IRC.. it could work well.. but probably no point implementing it yet.. .. i.e there is actually a call for it.. using a Chat function on the site..

We could use the current option as trial.. then if its liked then implement this other solution..

I know in the past the idea of shout box here was frowned upon, due to the fear it may take away the focus from threads.. but we are in modern times.. and live threads type solutions particularly in social media are becoming more of the norm..

I also do think it would attract new posters to the site..

I do think its a good idea particularly for Match Threads..

But I also agree it should be trialled.. before implementing it full time..

Last edited:
I particulary like the Archive and pop up window function..

So you can have the chat running alongside the match thread.. and archive old chats..

the sanction function too :woot:.. poor @Dreambeliever

If people are worried.. it may kill threads..

here is their alternative, not as feature rich but incredibly useful offering..

Form the above link you can see the chat and shout box in action.. potentially how either could look.. the chat option can sit in the footer in any forum or thread.. and accessed easily.. I also like the side bar for the chat which give a list of the rooms available.

Not looked on mobile yet.. on how it would look. as of course you wouldn't want the site to become too cluttered..

Really liking the Chat option though.. seems very popular..

Last edited:
Slowly get sold in it.. mobile view

How it views when viewing threads, forum etc etc

Screenshot_2024-01-22-12-59-56-749_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-05-08-098_com.android.chrome.jpg

Dedicated Page

Screenshot_2024-01-22-13-03-24-780_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Subject to what the site wants of course..

I don't want to spend $25 for this..
And then we decide to bin it..
Hence why I suggested using the free one for now..

I suppose me sticking the demo in this thread can at least show it's potential

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom