• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Istanbul heros - where are they now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreambeliever

From Doubter to Believer (to doubter again)
Nice article on the Uefa site today.

I didn't realise Garcia won the India title or that Smicer was in politics.

Decent article although Finnan was injured in the final not subbed for a poor performance

Liverpool FC return to the scene of their 2005 UEFA Champions League final on Thursday: Istanbul's Atatürk Olimpiyat Stadium. We find out where the heroes of that night are now.

Trailing AC Milan 3-0 at half-time in the 2005 UEFA Champions League final, the writing seemed to be on the wall for Liverpool FC. What followed in Istanbul was a quite remarkable comeback. Rafael Benítez's side stormed back with three goals in seven minutes to set up a dramatic penalty shoot-out triumph. Andriy Shevchenko, scorer of the winning spot kick in the 2003 final, was denied by Jerzy Dudek to give Liverpool a famous victory.

That Istanbul final is one of UEFA's 60 Legendary Moments – watch now, like your favourites and be in with a chance of winning a trip to this season's Berlin decider (including the opportunity to play on the Olympiastadion pitch).

1. Jamie CarragherA one-club man, Bootle-born Carragher made over 700 Liverpool appearances between his 1997 debut and his retirement at the close of 2012/13. Istanbul was the high point of a career that brought two FA Cups, three English League Cups, the UEFA Cup and two UEFA Super Cups. Winner of 38 England caps, he was tempted out of retirement by Fabio Capello to go to the 2010 FIFA World Cup and has proved equally assured as a television pundit and columnist.
2. Xabi Alonso
After forging a reputation as a fine ball-playing midfielder at Real Sociedad de Fútbol, Alonso moved to Liverpool in 2004 and was key in Istanbul, scoring the third. He excelled throughout his five-year spell at Anfield before heading to Real Madrid CF, where a Liga title, two Spanish Cups and a UEFA Champions League crown followed. Alonso was part of the Spain team that monopolised the international stage for four years, winning two EUROs and the World Cup. Now at FC Bayern München.
Highlights: The Miracle of Istanbul
3. Steven GerrardSynonymous with the club and particularly the 2005 final, the ex-England captain ends his 16-year Anfield career in the summer with a switch to the United States. Man of the match in Istanbul (his header sparked the revival), Gerrard had dragged the Reds into the last 16 with a late matchday six thunderbolt against Olympiacos FC. He scored twice in the following year's FA Cup victory and has won it all for Liverpool except the Premier League – having been a runner-up three times.
4. Jerzy DudekA stunning double stop at the death to deny Shevchenko, and shoot-out saves from Andrea Pirlo and Shevchenko, sealed glory in Istanbul – but the keeper's greatest moments in a Liverpool shirt were among his last. Losing his place to Pepe Reina, the former Feyenoord man – he won the Eredivisie in 1999 – joined Real Madrid in 2007 and spent four years understudying Iker Casillas. Capped 60 times by Poland, he is ambassador for this season's UEFA Europa League final ... and plays a lot of golf.
5. Igor Bišćan
A versatile player who could cover a number of positions in defence and attack, Bišćan was not always the most popular of figures during his time at Anfield. Though an unused substitute in Istanbul, the former Croatian international had nine appearances in Liverpool's 2004/05 UEFA Champions League campaign. He left the club in summer 2005 for Panathinaikos FC, before returning to home-town club GNK Dinamo Zagreb to finish his career. He retired in 2012 and has since dabbled in futsal, newspaper punditry and amateur tennis.
6. Djimi Traoré
Landing in Merseyside in 1999, it was not until Rafael Benítez's appointment five years later that the Mali defender became a regular. He played his part in Istanbul, making a goal-saving clearance from Shevchenko, but opportunities dried up the following term. Stints at Charlton Athletic FC, Portsmouth FC and Birmingham City FC followed before a return to France with AS Monaco FC and Olympique de Marseille. After a couple of seasons in the MLS at Seattle Sounders FC, he quit the game in November.
7. Luis GarcíaScorer of the only goal of the semi-final tie against Chelsea FC, FC Barcelona-product García played all 120 minutes of the final. An industrious left-footed midfielder who was surprisingly strong in the air given his height, he was a popular figure at Anfield, earning his own song to the tune of 'You are my Sunshine'. He left in 2007 for Club Atlético de Madrid, plied his trade in Greece and Mexico, and recently participated in the inaugural Indian Super League, skippering Atlético de Kolkata to the title.
Gerrard's screamer against Olympiacos
8. John Arne RiiseThe most-capped Norwegian of all time, Riise came to Anfield in 2001 from Monaco and impressed with his fearsome left foot. The only Liverpool man to miss their spot kick in the final, he remained a firm fixture until signing for AS Roma in 2008. First-choice in three years in Italy, he headed back to England with Fulham FC but suffered relegation last May. A part-time pundit, Riise's next stop was Cyprus where the 34-year-old turns out for APOEL FC.
9. Harry KewellA surprise starter in Istanbul, the Australian's final lasted 23 minutes before injury forced him off. A purchase from Leeds United AFC – whom he had helped to the 2000/01 UEFA Champions League semi-finals – things never quite worked out for Kewell during an injury-ravaged Anfield sojourn. He departed for Galatasaray AŞ in 2008, spending three seasons in Turkey before going home to Australia for spells with Melbourne Victory FC and Melbourne Heart FC. He retired last March and now runs his own academy.
10. Milan BarošThe Czech led the line for 85 minutes of the final, one of his last significant acts for Liverpool. Within months he transferred to Aston Villa FC, then on to Olympique Lyonnais where he won Ligue 1 in 2006/07. England beckoned again and he lifted the FA Cup with Portsmouth FC before four campaigns at Galatasaray. An emotional return to boyhood team FC Baník Ostrava came about in 2013 (Baroš donated his salary to the youth side), and the UEFA EURO 2004 top scorer is there again after six months at Antalyaspor.
11. Dietmar HamannThe German was introduced at half-time for Steve Finnan to get Liverpool on the front foot and was a key catayst for the comeback. He converted the Reds' first penalty of the shoot-out and enjoyed one more season before spells at Manchester City FC and Milton Keynes Dons FC. He called time on a stellar career – which included two Bundesliga titles and the UEFA Cup at Bayern, plus 59 Germany caps – before trying his hand at coaching. Now works as a columnist and TV pundit in Britain and Ireland.
The making of Vladimir Šmicer
12. Vladimír ŠmicerThe Czech stalwart's last Liverpool outing turned out to be his most memorable. Brought off the bench for Kewell midway through the first period, he scored Liverpool's second goal and final penalty. He left for FC Girondins de Bordeaux in France, where he had won the championship with RC Lens, before collecting back-to-back titles at first club SK Slavia Praha. He worked as assistant to Czech coach Michal Bílek on retirement, and has since become involved in politics, standing for EU elections in 2014.
13. Steve FinnanThe winner of 52 caps for the Republic of Ireland, the full-back began his career in non-league football and made his name at Fulham, gaining two promotions before moving to Anfield in 2003. He appeared in every game in the run to the 2005 final but endured a torrid evening and was substituted at the break. He lifted the FA Cup the following year and had stints with RCD Espanyol and Portsmouth, retiring after losing the 2010 FA Cup final to Chelsea. He is now in the building trade.
Out of shot: Sami Hyypiä
The heart of a defence that conceded just six goals en route to the final, Hyypiä arrived from Willem II in 1999 and became a fans' favourite over the next decade. He had two seasons at Bayer 04 Leverkusen before retiring in 2011 and moving into coaching with Bayer, initially alongside Sascha Lewandowski, guiding them to third in the 2012/13 Bundesliga. He then took sole command, before returning to England with Brighton & Hove Albion FC last summer. He resigned in December.
Out of shot: Djibril Cissé
Cissé was hailed as France's next great striker when acquired by Liverpool from AJ Auxerre in 2004, but a broken leg stalled his progress. He was an 85th-minute substitute in Istanbul and scored a penalty in the shoot-out, two goals in the ensuing UEFA Super Cup final victory and again in the 2006 FA Cup win. Famed for quick feet and outrageous hair, the man capped 41 times by France had two years at Marseille yet struggled to settle after that. Various stops later, he has made his way to Corsica with SC Bastia.
Out of shot: Rafael Benítez
Having steered Valencia CF to their first Liga title for 31 years and the UEFA Cup, Benítez ended his first term at Anfield in fine style in Istanbul. He led Liverpool to the UEFA Champions League final again in 2007, where Milan got their revenge. The Spaniard departed in 2010 for a brief interlude at FC Internazionale Milano, then guided Chelsea to the UEFA Europa League crown in 2013. He has been with SSC Napoli since May 2013, landing the Coppa Italia in his first campaign.

I wish we could get a Men in Black style brain wipe of bloody Istanbul. The club used to bung European Cups in the cabinet and then start afresh each season. Now we do the commemorative book, the play, the movie, the next movie, the movie after that, Dave fecking Kirby's poems, the whatever anniversary book/poem/play/move/LFCTV wankfest. Get on with the here and now!

I wish we could get a Men in Black style brain wipe of bloody Istanbul. The club used to bung European Cups in the cabinet and then start afresh each season. Now we do the commemorative book, the play, the movie, the next movie, the movie after that, Dave fecking Kirby's poems, the whatever anniversary book/poem/play/move/LFCTV wankfest. Get on with the here and now!
I wish we could do a wipe of everything pre 1991 as that's all the older generation bang on............................. just kidding

I liked that you could pick it up at weddings when the security dudes weren't looking though. I counted that as me pretty much winning it

Ha they make Steve Finnan sound like he's scratching a living as a bricklayer or something.

Maybe he is?

We win four cups with genuinely great sides and they're consigned to history. We fluke a win, albeit thrillingly, and we just can't stop mythologising it. I know I'm in a minority and am a bloody grump but it just seems mad to me!

We win four cups with genuinely great sides and they're consigned to history. We fluke a win, albeit thrillingly, and we just can't stop mythologising it. I know I'm in a minority and am a bloody grump but it just seems mad to me!

I think its more got to do with it being the most recent and one that most fans have at least watched.

I'd be surprised if even 10% of LFC's fan base world wide have watched any of our previous European cup wins in their entirety. Couple that with the fact that for younger fans they grew up hearing about these great teams of yesteryear who won the European cup for fun and that our current stars were light years away from such success.

The win in 2005 was farcical really and something you would laugh at for its unbelievability if you saw it in a movie.

We came from being the 4th best team in England with no real success in big ears for decades to winning it in one season, coming from 3 goals down against the best side on the planet.

All with Traore on the pitch.

It will stand out forever.

Yes, there's much truth in that, but the 1977 win deserved so much more to be remembered and re-celebrated on so many levels. The 2005 stuff makes me feel like we're Norwich.

3 of the first 4 were absolutely abysmal games, weren't they? And the other one was the first so even less likely to be a real memory for people.

3 of the first 4 were absolutely abysmal games, weren't they? And the other one was the first so even less likely to be a real memory for people.

Most finals were intensely tactical and tense games. None of ours were abysmal, and certainly none were as bad performances as in 2005. The 77 game was brilliant. You might as well say winning the FA Cup in 1965 was so-so compared to winning the penalty shoot out with West Ham. We now seem to be neurotically instilling the myth of 2005 into every baby that gets born. It suggests to me, deep down, that we don't ever expect to win anything of note again. Just file it in the memory and look to the future, or start thinking of our history in a grown up way.

No, not bad performances, but dull games. The impression I have of 78 and 81 was just our attack against blanket defences.

Anyway, the real reason, apart from it being such an incredible feat from 3-0 down, is probably that we've now got a whole generation of fans, me included, who've grown up supporting a clearly great club clearly living off past glories. And 2005 represents the single achievement in over 30 years to live up to that example: to really relieve that sense of failure. So it's bound to be obsessed over I suppose.

Yes, that makes sense. I just wish the club would back off a bit. The fans can do what the heck they like and of course lots want to keep thinking about it, but the club - I guess prompted by commercial concerns - seem to relish the chance to use the website and LFCTV to stoke it all up. That's the aspect that irks me a bit. The old Ronnie Moran approach - 'here are your medals, right, it's over, see you next season' - still seems a healthier position. We need to be obsessed with fighting for the next league title. Leave the nostalgia for the nursing home.

Oh definitely, I agree with that. But that sort of thing annoys me even more in the worship of individual players, and the wailing and panicking when they leave. Gerrard's far too protracted retirement from being an automatic starter the worst example, now including frankly ludicrous talk of spending big money on replacing a player who shouldn't be in the team anyway.

I suppose it's understandable, but it's so small time it makes me cringe.

Yes, there's much truth in that, but the 1977 win deserved so much more to be remembered and re-celebrated on so many levels. The 2005 stuff makes me feel like we're Norwich.
Agreed, hopefully we can get to the stage where we are angry that nobody talks about Istanbul anymore

Most finals were intensely tactical and tense games. None of ours were abysmal, and certainly none were as bad performances as in 2005. The 77 game was brilliant. You might as well say winning the FA Cup in 1965 was so-so compared to winning the penalty shoot out with West Ham. We now seem to be neurotically instilling the myth of 2005 into every baby that gets born. It suggests to me, deep down, that we don't ever expect to win anything of note again. Just file it in the memory and look to the future, or start thinking of our history in a grown up way.

I think you're showing your age Macca. The way the world is these days, and the coverage with endless interviews and multiple camera angles, and the way people 10 years ago watched it and have continued to love it for those 10 years is more to do with how the media and social media treat the here and now.
Quite apart from the fact that the richest club on earth hasn't won it and were humiliated at home again last night, and that if you add up United, Chelsea, Man City and Arsenal's wins in the CL it still is one less than we've won on our own and I think you should be happier and celebrate it more.
Winning five European cups is not Norwich-like, it's Liverpool-like.

Well the five times thing is right, but that's a separate issue. Hardly anyone celebrates it because it's the fifth win. Most celebrate it because it's hyped up so much and it's the most recent. That's fine for a while but it's ten years ago and the celebrating hasn't stopped. That's positively Gooner-like. I pay no attention to them so I don't honestly know, but I'd be surprised if the mancs obsess over one win like we do over 2005. They used to over 68, but that was because they didn't have much else to crow about in the years that followed. That's the context for such nagging nostalgia, and it's just not healthy.

I know what you mean, macca, and I've an even longer pedigree than you as a Red, but I'm going to respectfully disagree, at least in part. 2005 was the single most extraordinary game in the football lives of not only Liverpool fans but pretty much any fans who watched it. It was an unmatchable piece of drama with a script that even Hollywood at its most superficial wouldn't have dared to ask punters to suspend disbelief for. Keys' parting statement that night that "you might never see anything like it again" was - for once in his hyperbolic career - bang on the money. For me it's a night apart, from which it also follows that I don't really think frequent references to it are holding us back. In some ways the opposite is true - one of Moores' and Parry's many inadequacies was the abject failure to milk it for all it was worth in the years that followed.

How often does a team win the European cup? Celebrating it ten years later isn't that big a deal.

I know what you mean, macca, and I've an even longer pedigree than you as a Red, but I'm going to respectfully disagree, at least in part. 2005 was the single most extraordinary game in the football lives of not only Liverpool fans but pretty much any fans who watched it. It was an unmatchable piece of drama with a script that even Hollywood at its most superficial wouldn't have dared to ask punters to suspend disbelief for. Keys' parting statement that night that "you might never see anything like it again" was - for once in his hyperbolic career - bang on the money. For me it's a night apart, from which it also follows that I don't really think frequent references to it are holding us back. In some ways the opposite is true - one of Moores' and Parry's many inadequacies was the abject failure to milk it for all it was worth in the years that followed.

Yes, good post. I must be in a minority of one but the pain of the first half humiliation is never entirely transcended by the isolated moments of inspiration of the second. I'm delighted we won but I really don't like thinking about the game that much. For me, with my extraordinary capacity for the negative, it starts a domino effect of depression that takes in being outplayed by the Gooners in the cup final and various other scrappy wins that underlined our failure to regain the class of the past even when we emulated its achievements. Er, has anyone got a prozac?

Ha they make Steve Finnan sound like he's scratching a living as a bricklayer or something.

Maybe he is?

Haha. Didn't he used to be a bricklayer when he was playing non-league football? I almost wish he actually had just gone back to that.

I think he is actually a property developer though.

Yes, good post. I must be in a minority of one but the pain of the first half humiliation is never entirely transcended by the isolated moments of inspiration of the second. I'm delighted we won but I really don't like thinking about the game that much. For me, with my extraordinary capacity for the negative, it starts a domino effect of depression that takes in being outplayed by the Gooners in the cup final and various other scrappy wins that underlined our failure to regain the class of the past even when we emulated its achievements. Er, has anyone got a prozac?

Ha I sympathise to some degree. There's a small part of me that has always felt a bit sheepish about Istanbul. I do think it matters to me whether we've really merited various achievements or not. Perhaps there's a bit of a puritan streak in me somewhere.

I mean, I've still never watched the first half back.

Anyway, I always think of the 07 final as repaying a bit of that debt. And the 08 semi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom