• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Joe Cole - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it's saying much, but I do think there's more chance of his return working out than there ever would be with Aquilani.
JJ, I think that Aquilani's game would suit us better in a pass and move system. Having said that, both are prone to injury so I'm not excited at either of them returning. I'd prefer we cut our losses and run.

Roland: I wouldn't disagree about Aquilani's game. It's where his head's at which has always been the problem, not his feet. He's made it clear by both words and actions that he wants to stay home in Italy, and I simply don't believe he or we would be able to overcome that sufficiently. For that reason I reckon Joey Cole would have the (slightly) better chance of the two of them of achieving something with us, though overall I also agree that we'd be better off drawing a line under both of them.

Didnt have any injury problems either I think, agree with JJ though he's got a bigger chance of working out than Aqua.

Anyone know what wages he is *actually* on?

I just saw this quote from the Guardian and it worried me a bit:

Liverpool have supplemented the £130,000-a-week wages of a player they took on a free transfer from Chelsea.

No wonder he wants to stay! That is ludicrous if he's on £130k p/w. He's played for England 3 times since Euro 2008! For those kind of wages you should be running the show Yaya-style. Either take a significant pay-cut if he *really* wants to resurrect his Liverpool career or hit the highway.

....and he failed in the task assigned to him when he was sent on loan to Lille, which was to persuade Hazard to sign for us.

He's on 90-100k I think. First season had the signing on bonus spread out on the weekly wage aswell as Mark said.

No wonder he wants to stay! That is ludicrous if he's on £130k p/w. He's played for England 3 times since Euro 2008! For those kind of wages you should be running the show Yaya-style. Either take a significant pay-cut if he *really* wants to resurrect his Liverpool career or hit the highway.

....and he failed in the task assigned to him when he was sent on loan to Lille, which was to persuade Hazard to sign for us.

... yes... he actively persuaded him to sign for Chelsea instead - we should be asking for our money back.

he needs a run of games to develop momentum, but not sure he is physically strong enough to do that in the epl. sell sell sell.

Interesting to see where Rogers would play him. Doesnt have the pace to terrify defenders on the wing. Heard somewhere he wants to play down the middle.

I don't see his form in France as being particularly relevant as the game is different there (slower and less physical). Cole has stated as much himself on a couple of occasions.

I guess the main difference between then and now is that whilst under Roy he often received the ball on the half way line with his back to goal in that god awful defensive setup, Rodgers will more likely play a possession game that will suit him far more. If we can get him facing the goal in the final third he may be able to inject some of the creativity we were sorely lacking in last season. He doesn't need pace to do that.

Obviously still not convinced but I suppose we don't have too much to lose by giving him a shot.

I don't see his form in France as being particularly relevant as the game is different there (slower and less physical). Cole has stated as much himself on a couple of occasions.

I guess the main difference between then and now is that whilst under Roy he often received the ball on the half way line with his back to goal in that god awful defensive setup, Rodgers will more likely play a possession game that will suit him far more. If we can get him facing the goal in the final third he may be able to inject some of the creativity we were sorely lacking in last season. He doesn't need pace to do that.

Obviously still not convinced but I suppose we don't have too much to lose by giving him a shot.

I guess the main issue is we still have Gerrard in that role, and we need to sort out Aquilani aswell.

I'd play him out wide anyway.

He's not good enough to play the #10 role for us, which would essentially mean building the attack around him.

I'd rather we sell him. We could probably finance two players on his wage alone and he's just not that good to be honest.

I stick with my original assessment made as we were signing Mongy Joe.

I'd play him out wide anyway.

He's not good enough to play the #10 role for us, which would essentially mean building the attack around him.

Ditto. Don't think he has the strength nor the vision to play in the middle.

Not all players who play there are physically powerful. Look at the impact a player like Silva made for quite a while last season. If Cole really isn't good enough to play there (and IMO that judgment is premature, as we've never really seen it tried), sell him. A wide player he definitely is not.

Not all players who play there are physically powerful. Look at the impact a player like Silva made for quite a while last season. If Cole really isn't good enough to play there (and IMO that judgment is premature, as we've never really seen it tried), sell him. A wide player he is definitely not.

Silva has vision. Cole needs 4 or 5 touches when someone like Gerrard needs one or two. Also, he often doesn't see or completely ignores runners. The lack of strength and lack of vision combined make him very unsuited for the role.

Also, Roy played him there multiple times and Cole made a statement when he originally signed where he claimed he had been signed to play in the middle. Roy soon moved him out wide again when it became apparent how ineffective he was.

Let's agree to differ. I'm not persuaded that whatever happened during Woy's time in charge is a good guide to anything much, nor do I agree with "multiple times", which seems a bit exaggerated to me. I'm not saying Cole is definitely suited to playing centrally for us, but I do think it's either there or not at all.

That Cole is a world beater and would improve the team immensely?
This is the post from before we signed him i was referring to:

The idea of Joe Cole is way better'n the actual Joe Cole.
In theory he's a diminutive footballing genius who can control the tempo of a game and create a chance out of nothing (this theory is normally the one espoused when he is injured or not playing in the team)
But in practice he's a massive headed slightly downsy looking barrell chested cockerney cheeky chappie who more often than not does nothing of any note on the football pitch and rarely scores or creates anything but occassionally beats a man with a trick before wiping his massive head with his sweatband and being substituted on 60 mins.

Last time this cropped up, I said something along the lines of get him out to fuck. However that was when Kenny was in charge. Now I'd be more inclined to think that he should have another season, to see if Rodgers can get anything out of him.

A busted flush. His best years are WAY behind him. Get rid.
A busted flush on £130k per week.:mad:
We will do well to get him out on loan again, probably having to pay more than half his wages like last season.

Where's this £130K a week come from ?

How do people know what Joe Cole, or any of our players, are paid ?

Where's this £130K a week come from ?

How do people know what Joe Cole, or any of our players, are paid ?
It's a complicated matemathical formula.
You would need to study nights for a couple of years to under stand it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom