• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Keepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pope. All the stats suggest he's the next best thing to De Gea in terms of ridiculous saves, and he is by far the strongest at commanding the penalty area in the PL. I'd have him ahead of Allison.

My problem with Pope is that he's had one good season, and Charlton didn't want to play him before that so palmed him off to Cambridge, York, Aldershot, Welling etc before that as they didn't rate him.

LIVERPOOL TARGET €60m CILLESSEN
Liverpool
are interested in Barca 'keeper Jasper Cillessen, reports Mundo Deportivo.
The Reds are keen to bring in a top shot stopper this summer after Lorus Karius’ calamitous display in the Champions League final and Roma’s Alisson Becker and Atletico’s Jan Oblak have both been linked with a move to Anfield.
Now Mundo Deportivo reports that they are also keen on Cillessen, who has been the second-choice 'keeper at Barca since making the move from Ajax in 2016.
Barca have been made aware, via a British agent, that Liverpool are keen on the Netherlands international, but they La Liga champions insist that he is not for sale.
Cillessen, who is under contract until 2021, has a €60m buyout clause.

Pope. All the stats suggest he's the next best thing to De Gea in terms of ridiculous saves, and he is by far the strongest at commanding the penalty area in the PL. I'd have him ahead of Allison.

One Pope is enough, and we have Mo, so it's time for a Rabbi.

My problem with Pope is that he's had one good season, and Charlton didn't want to play him before that so palmed him off to Cambridge, York, Aldershot, Welling etc before that as they didn't rate him.
My answer to that is a certain left back who was deemed not good enough a majority of his career

Harry Kane was 'palmed off' to Leyton Orient, Millwall and Norwich by Spurs. Young players are loaned around the show, and the home club often fails to see what it has at the end of that, especially if, like Pope, the keeper has run their contract down. You're right, he's had one big season at the top level, but he has been incredible. Ming for instance, whilst looking good for Sunderland always was renowned for certain flaws. Pope doesn't seem to have any major flaws in his game.

Pope has been execellent for Burnley. I’d rather him then Butland, Karius or Ming, thats for sure.

I couldn’t help but read that last sentence as “I’d have head off Allison”

Harry Kane was 'palmed off' to Leyton Orient, Millwall and Norwich by Spurs. Young players are loaned around the show, and the home club often fails to see what it has at the end of that, especially if, like Pope, the keeper has run their contract down. You're right, he's had one big season at the top level, but he has been incredible. Ming for instance, whilst looking good for Sunderland always was renowned for certain flaws. Pope doesn't seem to have any major flaws in his game.

Any goalkeeper is an upgrade on our two, I can't think of any worse ones in the league, and I'm not saying that Pope might not be great, all I'm saying is that he's only had 1 good season in his life, so it's hard to judge if he's a good keeper or not off that. And Harry Kane is an exception not the rule, 100% of players we loan out end up being shit and never make it.

With the exception of Oblak and Allisson, are there any top quality goalkeepers around that we can sign?
Courthouis and De Gea have 12 months left on their contracts but neither are a possibility for us. I dont think Courthoius is all that anyway.

Who else is there?
Handanovic

Any goalkeeper is an upgrade on our two, I can't think of any worse ones in the league, and I'm not saying that Pope might not be great, all I'm saying is that he's only had 1 good season in his life, so it's hard to judge if he's a good keeper or not off that. And Harry Kane is an exception not the rule, 100% of players we loan out end up being shit and never make it.

I'm not saying it is without risk, but I see it as less of a risk than the likes of Allison.

Im right with you on this one doc lettuice pray, for a smoke the Pope campaigne. I think we would have won could win big ears with him saving us.

Last edited:
But we need a sweeper keeper. Pope is a good shot stopper but he doesn't seem the sweeper keeper type.
That's actually not the case. His stats suggest he is very good at this side of the game too. I did a post where I checked his stats out a few months ago.
OK- checking the numbers on Nick Pope- he is well at the top of the Opta PL stats for high claims, so is very strong in the air. In that stat of shots that should be expected goals stat that De Gea dominates, he is second only to De Gea in the PL (or was at end of December when De Gea had saved 13 expected goals against Utd and Pope 8. Sweeper clearances he is surprisingly strong despite the compressed game Burnley favour, and is joint sixth, so playing with his feet does not appear to be a weakness. Given he actually has got a chance at Burnely due to a long term injury to Burnley's no. 1, Heaton, Burnley are not going to keep both of these keepers happy, so they should be prepared to do business.

But we need a sweeper keeper. Pope is a good shot stopper but he doesn't seem the sweeper keeper type.

Yes... if only we’d had a better sweeper keeper rather than a better shot stopper, Gareth Bale might not have scored that 3rd in Kiev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom