• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Klopp Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
Jürgen Klopp laid down the law to his Liverpool players on his first day in the job, telling them that the playing style he intends to implement is non-negotiable and that the days of possession football are over.

In a robust and unequivocal explanation of how he envisages Liverpool playing under his management, Klopp made it clear that he will not tolerate individuals veering away from his methods and demanded total obedience as he sets about reinvigorating the Merseyside club.

“Now we cannot talk about football philosophy and ball possession, playing like Barcelona, playing like whoever. No. This team needs to create their own style,” Klopp said. “If you have the ball you have to be creative, but you have to be prepared that if you lose the ball the counter-pressing is very important.

“It is not a proposal, it is law. You cannot decide ‘um...’ [claps hands]. You have to do it and you will. That is what we all have to learn, maybe. In these cases you can be different to other teams because they will all do their thing. I’m only interested in 100 per cent of each player. Now we have to work on that.”

Dismissing suggestions that he would be tied to a transfer policy with an emphasis on youth, Klopp reiterated that his only requirement of players is a willingness to do things his way without hesitation. “I don’t care about age. I’m not interested in it. If you’re old and good then fine, if you’re young and good, fine, then come,” he said.

“The only thing I need is players that want to help the team. They have to listen to what I say, because I believe it is better to have 11 players do the same thing wrong than everybody doing what they want.”

Klopp intends to give the Liverpool squad the opportunity to prove themselves before entering the transfer market, but he told prospective signings that if they harbour doubts about moving to Anfield, particularly the absence of Champions League football, then he will not recruit them.

“Of course, not having Champions League football is a problem, but if a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool then stay away,” he said.

With a clap of the hands for added emphasis, the era of death by football that had been ushered in by Brendan Rodgers was brought to a brutal halt. Jürgen Klopp made no direct criticism of his predecessor, but nor did he make any secret of his divergence from the Northern Irishman’s methods. The days of resting on the ball are over. From now on, Liverpool are going “full throttle”.

This was Klopp’s St Francis of Assisi moment. Where there was possession, he is going to bring passion. Where there is defensive discord he intends to bring harmony. Where there is a reluctance to tackle, he wants a physical intensity. No longer will Liverpool win friends but not games with the quality of their football. Heavy metal is about to replace soft rock as the music of choice at Anfield.

After claiming that he would not discuss football until he had spoken with his new players, Klopp could not resist yesterday. A way of playing was not just outlined, it was detailed to the nth degree. It was not a team talk but had the feel of one, tactical nuance sprinkled with the language and gesticulations of the dressing room. If Liverpool play nearly as well as their new manager talks, they will be a team to be reckoned with.

“I am not the guy who is going to go out and shout, ‘We are going to conquer the world!’ or something like this. We will conquer the ball. Yes? Each f***ing time!” Klopp said. “We will chase the ball. We will run more, fight more. We will work more together, better together. We will have better organisation in defence than the other teams.

“We have to find our own way to play. The result is only at the end. Our performances have to be enjoyable for ourselves. I don’t want to tackle too rough, but if there is a tackle that is legal, that is a good tackle that gets the ball, it’s like a goal, if you want? Yeah! The players have to get the feeling in the game that, I don’t know, they can die in the game. What I want is to be a real special team.”

It was intensity and a win-at-all-costs attitude, as much as individual brilliance, that Rodgers’s team lost when Luis Suárez left to join Barcelona in July last year, and it never returned. Liverpool went from being the team who no one wanted to play to one who lost the idea of how they wanted to play. For all his best efforts, Rodgers could not reclaim what had gone before and ultimately he stopped believing that he could with the “tools” at his disposal.

Klopp, though, begs to differ. “I believe in the potential of this team,” he said. “There are four or five strikers you can work with when they are not injured, midfielders, defenders, the goalkeeper is really good. You can be as good as you want, but you always have to play against other teams. If they are better, you have to bring them to your level. If you can do that, you can kill every team. If they are not so good, you have to win. That is football.

“The most important thing for the development is the start. It is only important we play our own game, let the players feel the confidence and the trust of the people. It is a real important thing that the players feel the difference from now on. They have to think they can reach the expectations of all the people, of all the fans, of the press. We have to change from doubters to believers. We have to change our performance and stop thinking about money. It is only about football. If you want to enjoy the game, you have to prepare for this. If you come to the game, you want to see fighting spirit, many shots, and the result is only the result of these things.”

Having been appointed largely on the basis that he does not feel the squad he inherits requires an overhaul, Klopp’s vote of confidence in his new players was to be expected, particularly as he has no option but to work with them until January at least. But he also laid down parameters for their existence, expectations of how they go about their job that go over and above the need for instant results. Gegenpressing, the idea of winning the ball as high up the field as possible that was fundamental to his success at Borussia Dortmund, will be key. That approach, according to Klopp, will allow the synergy between crowd and team that has been lost of late to be restored.

“We will start to play very emotional football. It is important at Anfield,” Klopp said. “You can’t have the best atmosphere in the world and play like this [passing side to side]. It doesn’t work. Everyone talks about ball possession. It is time to restart.

“Everyone knows me, I don’t change in the four months I have been on sabbatical. It is emotion inside, it is speed, it is a transition game, so you will see this. We have to see how much time we need. In this time we have to win, to make points, but it is not the time to promise. Let’s start work and speak next week. Let’s be concentrated on football from now on.”

Shape up or ship out

Daniel Sturridge Having watched the Merseyside derby, Klopp will know that Sturridge’s workrate does not always match up to his finishing skills. As his fitness returns, the striker will be expected to become the spearhead of Liverpool’s pressing game, despite that being a part of his own game that doesn’t always come naturally.

Simon Mignolet Klopp described Mignolet as a great goalkeeper yesterday, a morale boosting assessment if not one that many observers would agree with, but the Belgium player will now be expected to play a higher line whenever Liverpool press, a situation he seems ill equipped to cope with.

Christian Benteke Klopp had Benteke watched while in charge of Borussia Dortmund but did not pursue his interest with one possible reason being the forward appearing unsuited to pressing and harassing.

In his own words

On his career I am the Normal One. I was a very average player, became a manager in Germany at a special club, Mainz, then I had a great opportunity to take Dortmund, a special club for seven years.
On liverpool’s illustrious past Expectations can be a really big problem, it’s like a backpack with 20 kilos more.
On discipline It is better to have 11 players do the same thing wrong than everybody doing what they want.
On making the club great again It’s the biggest challenge in world football. But I was never the guy for the easy way.
On criticism of transfer policy We have to change from doubters to believers. We have to change our performance of course but stop thinking about money.
On delegating I am not a genius. I don’t know more than the rest of the world. I need other people to get perfect information.
On the media All the people tell me about the British press so it is up to you to show me they are all liars.
On tackling I don’t want to tackle too rough but if there is a tackle that is legal, that is a good tackle that gets the ball, it’s like a goal, if you want? Yeeaaah!
On signings OK, there is much money. You don’t have to spend all the money! You can hold it and make something else.

New Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp warns Reds' players he will be taking no prisoners

"We have to do it one way and that is my way. They have to listen to what I say, that is very important. It is not a proposal, it is law" raps German boss

Jurgen Klopp rode in to clean up the mess at Liverpool and insisted: “I am the law.”

Even before high noon on Friday, the German appeared with his six-shooter blazing as he kicked open the Reds’ dressing-room door and bluntly told his new team it is his way or the highway.

In an impressive display, the latest manager to attempt to return long-lost glory to Anfield showed he will take no prisoners after promising to deliver the title.

“We have to do it one way and that is my way. They have to listen to what I say, that is very important,” new boss Klopp said, with a hint of steel in his voice.

“If you have the ball, you have to be creative but you have to be prepared that if you lose the ball the counter-pressing is very important. It is very important in football. It is not a proposal, it is law.

“You cannot decide 'Ummmm…’ You have to do it - and you will. That is what we all have to learn.

"I believe it is better to have 11 players do the same thing wrong than everybody doing what they want.”

Klopp said that if he was sitting in the same chair in four years' time, then it would be after winning at least one title.

And he made it clear if he earns a new contract by delivering that Premier League trophy – after signing an initial three-year deal – then he will have done it on his own terms, because he very firmly asserted he is the boss at Anfield.

The former Dortmund hero almost punched the table as he made the point, saying he wasn’t a coach, but a manager...and dismissed the idea he would let others take responsibility in the transfer market while he stuck to the training ground.

“I work as a manager. Ask all the people. I do this what I always did. I am always involved, of course, in transfers,” he said.

“I am the boss of many people. I was the boss of many people in Dortmund. It is the same thing.

"You call it coach, you call it manager. It is the same thing. But I have always worked as a manager.”

Klopp admitted the circus surrounding his appointment was “the craziest situation” he had ever been involved in.

He did, though, warn that once the real work started “tomorrow, after this big trouble”, the gloves would come off as he discovers exactly who wants to be part of his Anfield revolution.

The German explained he had no interest in signing a £100million player, just those who shared his passion for the Reds.

He added: “You have to look at which players are reachable and not dream of this player or this player and then always be ‘But they don’t want to come to Liverpool’.

“If a player doesn’t want to come to Liverpool, then stay away. Really. If you think about the weather. Stay away. If you think about other things. Stay away.

"If you want to come here, you are welcome. That is the first and most important issue.”

Thanks for collating those macca.

It's safe to say he's currently the media's darling. Which is ironic considering that's exactly what Mourinho always wants to be but currently isn't, & Klopp clearly doesn't give a shit what they think!

There's a hell of a lot of refreshing statements here. In some respects it sounds like a return to the football that served us so well in the 2013-14 season. We consistently played the ball early, we didn't focus on winning the possession stats (that game where we raped Arsenal I think our possession was around 40%). We created loads of our goals through the smothering high press. The question is whether Klopp has the players at his disposal to play in this style.

I can't see Sturridge spearheading a pressing style, he wasn't willing to do it consistently even with Suarez doing half his job for him.

Yeh the point about Sturridge and his work rate maybe a valid one. Were he third choice striker I wouldn't be arsed, but he's by far our best finisher so it's a concern to see if he'll tow the line, and if towing the line and pressing 24/7 will affect the rest of his game.

I particularly like his comments about not wanting players who are sniffy about the city/the weather/absence of Europe/etc. Apart from becoming regarded as a selling club, we also began to be seen as a needy club that could be wound up by dimwits like Aidy Ward, so it's a great sign that he's on the front foot immediately.

I like the fact he's a bit sweary too, but obviously not in a contrived "look how passionate I am kinda way", whereas it's swearing used when he really wants to emphasise something & in the right environment.

I bet the team talks & half time dressing downs when they're not doing what he wants are gonna be lively!

It's real talk rather than soundbites for the sake of it. He has bigged the club up like no other new manager at Liverpool, save perhaps Kenny.

If I was a player at Liverpool and this guy came in I can't imagine I'd want to be anywhere else.

If it meant I had to work harder, concentrate less on myself and more on the team then I'd do it. Why?, because this guy has a track record and is a winner and I'd want some of that for myself.

Like the man said, you have to change from a doubter to a believer. If you can't believe in a guy like this then you only play for money and yourself and won't fit in.

I doubt many of the current squad will do anything but seek to conform and be carried along. They'll know that success at Liverpool will make them worldwide stars.

I think Sturridge & Benteke will be a lot happier that they will be receiving the ball earlier and more often. Benteke in particular has been left so isolated, for all his work winning & shielding the ball he has been 20 yards away from any support.

The pressing game is not just about running around like a madman, it's all about supporting your team-mates and that's 100% what we've been missing for the last 18 months. We have played as individuals or we have played safe. Not any more by the sounds of it, fucking A.

Klopp's comment on tackling is also hugely well aimed with our lot, we are a tackling no-zone no-one tries to put their foot in maybe other than Coutinho and occasionally Lucas, clumsily. We did it relentlessly 2 years ago but it's gone completely out of our game.

I particularly like his comments about not wanting players who are sniffy about the city/the weather/absence of Europe/etc. Apart from becoming regarded as a selling club, we also began to be seen as a needy club that could be wound up by dimwits like Aidy Ward, so it's a great sign that he's on the front foot immediately.

This is crucial I think, only wanting players who want to be here, not leaving any grey areas with regards to attitude, acclimatising, etc. Something which I think would have prevented signings like Markovic and Mario, while also avoiding us being humiliated in the transfer market the likes of Willian (and Sterling).

That, I think, would promote a certain type of player and a certain work ethic, which I think we lack in important areas of the team.

I'm fucked if I can work out how to do that type of u thingy on my keyboard though. I have an ¿, §, °, even a ™ but no u with tentacle eyes.

I'm hopeful that he'll be the kind of manager who can get players like the Studge, whose willingness/ability to play Klopp's brand of football might be questionable at this stage, to want to adapt and therefore be able to do so. If not, they'll be gone and that's fair enough.

There's one line which he said in his first interview on LFCtv, which he says again in those quotes above and which I think is a very important clue to what he wants to address at the club - "We have to change from doubters to believers". Clearly he sees a positive mental attitude as being crucial, alongside quality and effort. I hope we'll all be quoting that line in a few seasons' time when we're champions again. :cool:

Our defence is about to get a rude awakening. I can see Skrtel & Lovren being replaced within 18 months, though maybe Skrtel's passion will see him hang on. Clyne & Moreno are going to love him. I can see Gomez being moved central. Not sure how Klopp will see Flanno when he returns.

CQ8WrvBWcAAtJa7.jpg

Sorry I can't be arsed downloading it, rotating, and then uploading to Tiny or something. Lazy buggers at The Times should have done it for me !

* Cover from Hard Day's Night for those that don't recognise the design.

Did you find out how to type it on a standard Brit keyboard, Foxy?
Found this, can't imagine it's changed much for Windows 7/8/10.

Assuming you're running a UK English keyboard setting in Windows XP, you can use the following:

AltGR + s = scharfes S

AltGR + p = o umlaut

AltGR + y = u umlaut

AltGR + q = a umlaut

Add Shift for upper case umlauted characters.

For a more permanent solution, you can install the German keyboard in Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details. By default you can then toggle between the keyboard layouts using Left Shift + Alt. Of course, you need to get used to a Qwertz keyboard, with different punctuation layout.

A more critical &, in my opinion, down to earth & quite incisive, look at Jürgen's challenge with us.

It's good article & worth the slightly lengthy read.

Jurgen Klopp: Five big questions facing the new Liverpool manager

Standard Sport looks at five questions new Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp must answer following his Anfield appointment on Thursday.

JOHN DILLON Saturday 10 October 2015 11:56 BST0 comments

How to ease the burden on his players in the ultra-competitive Premier League?

The first thing Jurgen Kloppshould do in charge of Liverpool is lose his first game at Anfield against Rubin Kazan. In his head, anyway.

Of course, a winning introduction to The Kop will be the big demand and that is a need which in reality, may just be answered. The greater point here, though, is – get out of the pointless Europa League as as fast as you can.

Whatever Klopp’s talents, he is heading to a place that is like nowhere else in football.

The Bundesliga, where has has coached before, has many merits and its football is robust. But plainly, it does not possess the rampant strength in depth from top to bottom of the Premier League. This is the thing which startles many foreign managers when they first arrive in England, no matter their past experience or their achievements. It clearly happened to Louis Van Gaal at Manchester United.

If he is to replicate here the high energy, high-speed, ultra-demanding brand of football he played at Dortmund, it will be against opposition which is just as ultra-competitive every week (and yes, that includes Sunderland now that Sam Allardyce is in charge.) Instantly, he will come up against one of the fittest teams in the league at Spurs.

This intense competitiveness will demand extra-ordinary levels of fitness, a relentless mental and emotional strength and good fortune with injuries. And lets face it, the long slog of the Europa League seems designed in order to drain away all those qualities – especially from English teams who have to return form their Thursday trips to do 12 rounds immediately again in the most frantic league in the world. He won’t have the winter break Dortmund used to recharge their batteries, either.

The frantic rock 'n' roll of the Premier League is a part of what has attracted Klopp, of course. But he needs to concentrate on introducing his ideas to his team, getting them to play how he wants and establishing a domestic position of strength.

It's such a wayward season already that a Champions League place could yet be up for grabs.

If a cup success would provide some garlanding in his first season, he would be better off winning the FA Cup than the Europa League. It's my guess it would mean more to the supporters as well.

How to temper expectation while aiming for the top?

I am not the Messiah, said some of the headlines after Klopp’s first, stunning press conference at Anfield. Which, in Monty Python speak, means he must be a very naughty boy.

Actually, he is not but he does have a rather compelling twinkle in his eye. So here’s the problem.

Now, he has to dampen the fervent level of expectation which has surrounded his arrival on Merseyside while continuing to be unique, charismatic, inspirational and successful. Some order, that. That’s what you call ball-juggling.

Nowhere does idolatry quite like Anfield. For several seasons, a banner in one corner of The Kop proclaimed the imminent ascension to greatness of one Alberto Aquilani. And the Italian could play. He was just too frail for English football and the ascension never happened. But that banner said much about the depths of the longing for glory which exists inside the ground.

Klopp’s arrival has been greeted with levels of anticipation which are off the scale, however. The flight path of his plane from Dortmund was tracked online by supporters. Several went on social media to hail the significance of the fact that he’s currently billeted at the “Hope” Street Hotel. Another commentator, more wryly, suggested he would be hailed as a legend, anyway, even if he turned round and quit tomorrow.

Clearly, one of the reasons that Klopp attracted the owners is that he has the character to handle all this. And to enjoy it. But he talked cold, hard football common sense when he met the media as well as acknowledging the special romanticism of his new club. After the nod to Monty Python, this column makes no aplogies for bringing Harry Enfield’s Scousers back into the Klopp debate for a second time. “Calm Down, La. Calm Down.” Eventually, anyway.

How to unlock Adam Lallana's potential?

The instant focus has been on the need to keep hold of Phillipe Coutinho. Rightly so. But it would be just as satisfying if Klopp manages to get more out of Adam Lallana, whose career at Anfield so far could best be described as stuttering.

Lallana was hailed for a high energy display in an attacking midfield in England’s win against Estonia. What’s not to like about that, Klopp might ask? Perhaps it was the new manager’s arrival which helped inspire Lallana’s performance at Wembley?

Certainly, he is a player who can be a crowd-pleaser. And it would lift The Kop to see him delivering on the promise which made him such an exciting young English prospect – one who was a bit of a rarity because of his ability to go past men and work with a level of technicality and confidence with the ball at his feet.

There will be lots of debates about how certain players will fit into the Klopp way of playing. Lallana and the brilliant Coutinho, for that matter, have attributes which suited Brendan Rodgers' desire for possession football. But in the end, good players are good players. Klopp won’t be averse to having attackers who can beat men. It would be uplifting to see them really hurting opponents.

Coutinho, in particular, offers much more besides. That is why the Spanish giants are circling. But it would be a boost for the English game – and a proper return on a £25 million investment - if Klopp gets Lallana firing properly.

How to assume control of transfers in the face of Liverpool's committee?

Klopp says he will have the final say on transfers. This is how it should be, It's also the the kind of thing which is said at the beginning of any honeymoon period, when optimism and hope fill the air.

The new manager must ensure that this remains the case even if it takes longer than is anticipated for him to achieve success – if indeed he can while confronting the financial behemoths of Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs.

Much is made of the way Klopp’s Dortmund usurped the power of Bayern Munich. But Bayern’s dominance was restored in the end. They beat Dortmund in the Champions League final and their wealth and might ensured that they re-assumed command while Klopp’s final season in the Bundesliga was a struggle. This is the way of the game now even more emphatically than it was when Klopp took charge at Dortmund and began building his revolution in 2008. Power is more entrenched than ever at the richest clubs.

This will make Klopp’s eye for a player doubly important. It is said that signings like those of Emre Can, Alberto Moreno, Mamadou Sakho and Lazar Markovic were foisted upon Brendan Rodgers by the infamous transfer committee.

Meanwhile, Klopp has been hailed for making stars of men like Marco Reus, Mario Gotze and Robert Lewandowski. But he must retain the position of strength he has now. He must make it plain that when Liverpool buy, they buy for the here and now and for the benefit of the team – not with an eye on turning a profit and cleverly proving a theory about extracting value-for-money from the transfer market.

How to solve Liverpool's leaky problem?

Sort out the defence. For all the praise his high-speed GegenPressing brand of football has achieved, Klopp knows that nobody ever won a league title with a weak defence. This week, he told Liverpool’s official TV channel: “The first thing, always, maybe in life, you need to have a stable defence. Nobody starts a development from the top of the table. We can start our development today, tomorrow. If it’s possible, can we be the hardest team to beat in the world? Let’s try to be this.” Its an old principle but for all the talk of innovation and tactical invention these days, this remains one of the most basic truisms of the game

Yes, Liverpool have struggled for goals. But they have also been too brittle at the back. A nightmare combination, eating away at all the fundamentals of success.

The struggles of Dejan Lovren are, basically, a mystery. He looks made to be a tough, commanding and classy leader at the back. Klopp seems the kind of man who can make him what he should be.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...acing-the-new-liverpool-manager-a3087196.html

Found this, can't imagine it's changed much for Windows 7/8/10.

Assuming you're running a UK English keyboard setting in Windows XP, you can use the following:

AltGR + s = scharfes S

AltGR + p = o umlaut

AltGR + y = u umlaut

AltGR + q = a umlaut

Add Shift for upper case umlauted characters.

For a more permanent solution, you can install the German keyboard in Control Panel/Regional and Language Options/Languages/Details. By default you can then toggle between the keyboard layouts using Left Shift + Alt. Of course, you need to get used to a Qwertz keyboard, with different punctuation layout.
All you have to do is hold down Alt followed by 129 on the keypad. You can find a full list at http://www.starr.net/is/type/altnum.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom