• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • Repeating an offer I made a while ago. If anyone wants me to change their username then just DM me (@Dee)

Klopp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wished we could have won those 2 cups in the first season with him. Would have put my doubts about him to rest regarding if he is a winner. The way he makes us attack and play is thrilling beyond belief and better than watching those dire games we had under GH and Rafa. I want Klopp to succeed ..not just for Liverpool but also for football itself. I love watching us play and creating those chances to score.
I love the brand of football we're playing but it becomes a bit irrelevant when we're dropping points and conceding 5 goals.

Benitez took Houllier's squad minus Michael Owen to two finals as well. League cup and CL. Winning the latter quite memorably.
It's fucking astonishing that people can compare Klopp to Benitez now. Klopp isn't anywhere close to where Benitez was after three seasons at the club.

Not least because he hasn't spent three seasons at the club yet.

I love the brand of football we're playing but it becomes a bit irrelevant when we're dropping points and conceding 5 goals.
The thing is. . With every game like Burnley i feel as though we could win games 7-0 / 10 -0 or something like that. I can almost feel it Modo with Klopps style. I hated Rafa and GH waiting game ... you know waiting for the opposition to error for the single goal chance to appear in a game. Too much worrying about how and when the next goal is gonna come from. With Klopp that worry dont exist.

The thing is. . With every game like Burnley i feel as though we could win games 7-0 / 10 -0 or something like that. I can almost feel it Modo with Klopps style. I hated Rafa and GH waiting game ... you know waiting for the opposition to error for the single goal chance to appear in a game. Too much worrying about how and when the next goal is gonna come from. With Klopp that worry dont exist.
Yeah but it's a high risk tactic. As is I'd rather us win with boring tactics. Than lose with entertaining tactics.

At either end.

We all knew that not improving our defence was a fatal mistake. It's on him. I don't buy this shit that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. If any one of us was in charge we'd have either bought better qualify or hired a new coach or both. Circumstances aren't to blame, Klopp is.

He does interview well though

If any one of us was in charge we'd have either bought better qualify or hired a new coach or both.

giphy.gif

I suppose you have to clarify the time-frame.

We haven't improved on the season we came 2nd under Rodgers. But have on his final season.

And what are the expectations for this season? Fourth again? Lower?

Surely the an assesmnet of a manager is over his entire tenure and not just picking out the peak seasons of performance.

In klopps first half a season we had 2 cup finals and in the first full season, we make top 4.

We all knew that not improving our defence was a fatal mistake. It's on him. I don't buy this shit that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. If any one of us was in charge we'd have either bought better qualify or hired a new coach or both. Circumstances aren't to blame, Klopp is.

He does interview well though

It's way too early to describe the situation as "fatal", and calling it a mistake without reference to the circs.behind it (whom else we can get for what money, how much we'll need when we pursue the van Dijk transfer again) is just tabloid-level kneejerking. We've bought serried ranks of "qualify" over the years when we've missed out on our top targets, and watched them fail. It's long past time we broke away from that kind of tired non-strategy, which has been instrumental in keeping us below the top rank for far too long.

What do you think you're achieving on here? No one pays any attention - it's not even a big fan site. A bit of friendly chatter, fine, but thinking it matters??

It's way too early to describe the situation as "fatal", and calling it a mistake without reference to the circs.behind it (whom else we can get for what money, how much we'll need when we pursue the van Dijk transfer again) is just tabloid-level kneejerking. We've bought serried ranks of "qualify" over the years when we've missed out on our top targets, and watched them fail. It's long past time we broke away from that kind of tired non-strategy, which has been instrumental in keeping us below the top rank for far too long.

I know this discussion is going round in circles now, but the problem with the bold bit is that that we've swapped one ineffective strategy for another. Sure, buying less than top-class hasn't worked out for us, but not addressing the holes in the squad is as close to a guaranteed failure as you can get. We've spent a year already with this bag of dicks playing CB, they have proven to not be good enough as a collective - that's the crux of the matter - we are stuck with them again until the problem can be addressed in January because we failed to address it in the Summer.

Yeah. Let's do fuck all and play Klavan. Great idea.

I've not been any more impressed with him than you have, but he was only intended to be 4th choice in a squad which should have included van Dijk, and would have done but for someone within the club flapping their gums where they shouldn't at the eleventh hour. The money we'd have had to spend to bring in someone better than Klavan (who BTW came with plaudits from Germany) but probably not that brilliant in themselves might well not then have been available for van Dijk in January or next summer.

What do you think you're achieving on here? No one pays any attention - it's not even a big fan site. A bit of friendly chatter, fine, but thinking it matters??

Nothing matters. Least of all football. The reduction is conclusive. But he really should have sorted the defence out.

That has been part of it but unfortunately we've just bought a lot of bad players regardless of how high up the wishlist they were.

Shame really as we've spent enough over the years to have won a few titles. Ah well.

That has been part of it but unfortunately we've just bought a lot of bad players regardless of how high up the wishlist they were.

Shame really as we've spent enough over the years to have won a few titles. Ah well.

Absolutely. It's when you see terrifying stats like: "Brendan Rodgers bought 33 players for £296,550,000" that you realise just how wasteful the club's policy has been over the years (net spend, ins and outs etc. notwithstanding).

I can see the argument for not wasting the cash, but if not sorting the defence this summer with someone other than Van Dijk costs us the chance to cement a top four place; what then? It's a gamble either way.

I know this discussion is going round in circles now, but the problem with the bold bit is that that we've swapped one ineffective strategy for another. Sure, buying less than top-class hasn't worked out for us, but not addressing the holes in the squad is as close to a guaranteed failure as you can get. We've spent a year already with this bag of dicks playing CB, they have proven to not be good enough as a collective - that's the crux of the matter - we are stuck with them again until the problem can be addressed in January because we failed to address it in the Summer.

I see where you're coming from, but for me it's too short-term an approach to the matter. The choice that faced us when loose lips from someone within the club jiggered the van Dijk deal first time around (that was the crucial error in all this) was to spend a lot of money, which we couldn't spare, on a stopgap and then cross our fingers that we could do an affordable deal on van Dijk when we went back in for him, OR make sure we had enough in the kitty to seal that deal when the time comes.

Absolutely. It's when you see terrifying stats like: "Brendan Rodgers bought 33 players for £296,550,000" that you realise just how wasteful the club's policy has been over the years (net spend, ins and outs etc. notwithstanding).

I can see the argument for not wasting the cash, but if not sorting the defence this summer with someone other than Van Dijk costs us the chance to cement a top four place; what then? It's a gamble either way.

Wouldn't argue with that last sentence. I guess I'm saying two things about it. One: we've gone the "second choice" route many, many times without success already. Two: Klopp will deserve the brickbats if zeroing in on van Dijk defines our season for the worse, but 5 games in is far too soon to form a definitive view about that.

The argument is going round in circles and broadly everyone kinda agrees.

The key is the balancing short-term and longer-term needs.

Teams have their own cycles and if we have a bad season and / or lose a few key players we may end up starting a new cycle (possibly out of the top 4 for a couple years again).

If that's the situation we end up finding ourselves in, you'd perhaps question the wisdom of spending a fortune on a 27 year old Van Dijk and consider a younger cheaper alternative that will mature at the right time.

Alternatively, if we can keep the momentum going, finish in the top 4 and continue building then overspending to add the so called missing pieces makes more sense.

Klopp & co have gambled on this season. Let's hope it pays off and the latter scenario plays out rather than former.

Wouldn't argue with that last sentence. I guess I'm saying two things about it. One: we've gone the "second choice" route many, many times without success already. Two: Klopp will deserve the brickbats if zeroing in on van Dijk defines our season for the worse, but 5 games in is far too soon to form a definitive view about that.

I respect your opinion JJ, you're a pleasure to debate with 👍

The only final thing I'll add, is that we've seen this defence struggle through a year already with no European football to contend with. They'll be stretched even further this year, with umpteen changes already in the back line (with even the goalies being dragged into it). The quality it lacking, the depth is lacking. It's a huge gamble that could define our season.

What's this bollix that's Klopps now blaming our history for why the players can't perform?

Yep I'm sure when that long ball was there to be won against Burnley Matip and Klavan were thinking fuck Hansen or Hyppia would have cleared this easy.

Sounds weak from Klopp.

He took a gamble and it's backfiring

I see where you're coming from, but for me it's too short-term an approach to the matter. The choice that faced us when loose lips from someone within the club jiggered the van Dijk deal first time around (that was the crucial error in all this) was to spend a lot of money, which we couldn't spare, on a stopgap and then cross our fingers that we could do an affordable deal on van Dijk when we went back in for him, OR make sure we had enough in the kitty to seal that deal when the time comes.

But we could spare it though. We don't need Ox for starters and his money could have gone towards ANOTHER defender. Lets be honest here even if we did buy van dijk during the summer he wouldn't have been fit to play under Klopp until at least another month. We needed 2 CBs and we bought none and that's why we're going to struggle this season. Doesn't matter how many goals you can score if you can't stop them going in. From day 1 Klopp's main priority (as he said it was) should have been to fix our ridiculously shit defence. He's failed to do that and could be argued that defensively we are even worse than when he got here.

But we could spare it though. We don't need Ox for starters and his money could have gone towards ANOTHER defender. Lets be honest here even if we did buy van dijk during the summer he wouldn't have been fit to play under Klopp until at least another month. We needed 2 CBs and we bought none and that's why we're going to struggle this season. Doesn't matter how many goals you can score if you can't stop them going in. From day 1 Klopp's main priority (as he said it was) should have been to fix our ridiculously shit defence. He's failed to do that and could be argued that defensively we are even worse than when he got here.

But who could we have bought?!

You can't express that entirely correct opinion (or "fact" as it sometimes known) without naming a list of CBs, because we're all experts/ none of us are experts/ it doesn't matter/ it's only meaningless chatter/ we're not Jurgen Klopp/ BOOHOOHOOOOOOO

Whichever way you spin the wheel, it's utterly baffling that we have done so little to address our obvious weakness of a leaky defence.

Our only business was to move our starting left back into the midfield leaving a gap that's been filled alternately by a low-price acquisition from a relegated team and the same perennially under-performing player who spent all last year on the bench. Oh and the sales of Lucas who often deputised at CB last year and Sakho who didn't.

That looks, sounds and smells like a cock-up so it's hardly surprising so many of us are calling it for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom