• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LASK on Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow, besides Red Bull Salzburg, the other Austrian club that comes to my mind immediately is LASK Linz, probably because of us previously signing Besian Idrizaj (who sadly, passed away at a young age) from them.

For me, it’s Austria Vienna - back in my Shakhtar supporting days they were our nemesis, trounced us a couple of times with their young and talented attack. This was early days of Central Europe football revival, preceding and anticipating the Salzburg-Leipzig model - their football was super attacking and they looked so different from the usual boring Austrian teams of the past. I still shudder when I think of one particular 5:1 massacre in the UEFA Cup.

I'm so grateful work is not even a 10min drive to home.

I don't see Matip playing 2 games in a week and didn't Quansah come off with a knock yesterday? Wouldn't risk it personally. Virgil will play having had 2 weeks off & this game is ideal for Ibou to get that match fitness up.

Kelleher Gomez Ibou Virgil Kostas Baj Endo Grav Doak Nunez Gakpo

Don't think Klopp will go with a full on 2nd string, it's not his thing unless we're playing some league 2 side in the EFL cup.
This is more like it. Klopp won't want to pile pressure on us by failing to win the opener, he rarely plays a 2nd string in Europe even when he should. And those players need minutes too. We can use all 5 subs to bring off the likes of Konate, VvD and Nunez if we're in a position to.

I get what you're saying, but Van Dijk played two games with his national team, he doesn't need more games.
And what about Elliott?
Also they are basically a league 2 side. We might have a strong bench but that's it.
After this game we only have two days rest before West Ham.
3 nights rest. And yes I'd forgotten about Virg playing 2 games for the Netherlands. No need to start him.

13 mostly knockout games though, Niall, hence more of a random element built in. As for "prestigious", I'll just call that debatable and leave it there..

yer a gas man! I'd put it above the two domestic cups, but I do like having a second path to the CL

Definitely time to give the players that havent started many games in the league.
Heavy rotation is a must. LASK sold their best player this summer, Nakamura, to Reims.

Our second string should be able to qualify from the group stage.

-----------------------Kev-----

Quansah-----VVD----- Matip--- Tsimikas

---------------------Endo-----------------
---------------Grav-------Steph---------
-----------------------Gakpo------------
------------Nunez---------------Diaz

If you're curious like me, I found a thread on Quansah in the Bristol Rovers forum.
They're not that positive about him, unfortunately.

https://gaschat.co.uk/thread/21040/quansah-new-clarke-salter?page=1

A lot can change over a summer and I guess it helps to have top class players playing alongside you.
Most seem to say they think he'll be a top player, but not yet adapted for the physicality of their league, and would benefit from playing beside a more seasoned CB partner.

The squad feels strong doesn’t it?
Most seem to say they think he'll be a top player, but not yet adapted for the physicality of their league, and would benefit from playing beside a more seasoned CB partner.

It does make you wonder how much talent has been squandered over the years where talented players can’t shine because they’re too lightweight or the league is too agricultural.

Interesting. As someone that knows nothing about him, his physique stands out a major plus point - in that sense he looks ready.

Hopefully the Europa League along with the domestic cups will give us a bit of a platform to develop some of the younger guys and see where they're at by the end of the season.

I was going to say the PL is less forgiving but then I think it was Quansah that lost Cunha for that big chance in the Wolves game... and thankfully we got away with it. Hopefully we don't end up needing that kind of luck regularly.

Interesting. As someone that knows nothing about him, his physique stands out a major plus point - in that sense he looks ready.

Hopefully the Europa League along with the domestic cups will give us a bit of a platform to develop some of the younger guys and see where they're at by the end of the season.

I was going to say the PL is less forgiving but then I think it was Quansah that lost Cunha for that big chance in the Wolves game... and thankfully we got away with it. Hopefully we don't end up needing that kind of luck regularly.
It was also Quansah who managed to get a touch on the ball that made Cunha miss.

I’d field a reasonable strong side - momentum is important.

No need to play Trent or Konate and I’d be careful about Jota and Curtis.

Sane back four as Sat with maybe Tsimikas in for Robbo.

In midfield, Endo needs a game, The Boy’s due a start, might be a good game for Gravy to start too - give Mac A & Slobbers a rest - let Clarke & Badger come on in the 65th minute for some game time.

I think Mo will start - with Doak coming on 65th minute.

Nunez & Jota to start, maybe?

We have 6 games in the next 3 weeks, with our PL opponents all being tricky - West Ham, Spurs & Brighton. We need to rotate somewhere and it is surely this and/or the Union St Gilloise game rather than run the team into the ground across all 6

I'd rotate heavily. Fitness permitting:

--------------------Kelleher
-Gomez--Konate--Quansah--Tsimikas
----------------------Endo
----------Elliott----------------Grav
--Doak-----------Nunez-----------Jota

We have 6 games in the next 3 weeks, with our PL opponents all being tricky - West Ham, Spurs & Brighton. We need to rotate somewhere and it is surely this and/or the Union St Gilloise game rather than run the team into the ground across all 6
Exactly rotate heavily (and consistently) for first group stage and EFL cup

I'd rotate heavily. Fitness permitting:

Exactly rotate heavily (and consistently) for first group stage and EFL cup

Exactly, maybe a slightly stronger team against Leicester, but that's it.
What's the point in having a big squad if we're not gonna trust our squad players and backups?
We can't keep running our best players into the ground.
I'd even leave our best players at Liverpool and not let them travel, just to keep them fresh for the West Ham game.
Btw, West Ham will also be playing on Thursday.

Last edited:
I’d field a reasonable strong side - momentum is important.

No need to play Trent or Konate and I’d be careful about Jota and Curtis.

Sane back four as Sat with maybe Tsimikas in for Robbo.

In midfield, Endo needs a game, The Boy’s due a start, might be a good game for Gravy to start too - give Mac A & Slobbers a rest - let Clarke & Badger come on in the 65th minute for some game time.

I think Mo will start - with Doak coming on 65th minute.

Nunez & Jota to start, maybe?

I like your idea of keeping the same back 4 (minus Robbo) - it will be good for Quansah to develop an understanding with Matip, maybe they can become our consistent “2nd choice pair” for cup competitions.

Can’t wait to see Gravenberch in action, but him and Elliott together seems rather risky - I would give Macca a start at the attacking 8 position, I’m sure he will be eager to erase the memories of his shite performance vs Wolves.

Considering LASK is probably our strongest opponent in the group, maybe something like this:

——————Alisson——————
———-Matip———-Quansah——
Gomez———Endo———-Tsimikas
——-Elliott————-MacAllister—
Salah———-Nunez————-Diaz

I like your idea of keeping the same back 4 (minus Robbo) - it will be good for Quansah to develop an understanding with Matip, maybe they can become our consistent “2nd choice pair” for cup competitions.

Can’t wait to see Gravenberch in action, but him and Elliott together seems rather risky - I would give Macca a start at the attacking 8 position, I’m sure he will be eager to erase the memories of his shite performance vs Wolves.

Considering LASK is probably our strongest opponent in the group, maybe something like this:

——————Alisson——————
———-Matip———-Quansah——
Gomez———Endo———-Tsimikas
Salah———-Nunez————-Diaz
I would be shocked if Gravenberch doesn't start. Perfect match for him. Ditto Kelleher though a little more chance of Ali starting.
Mac should still be getting the rest his trip to Ecuador demands before West Ham. Yes I can see that back line + front line.

Remember Everton beating Rapid Vienna in the cup winners cup final in 1985. Absolutely fucking boss left foot rocket from Kevin Sheedy, who was probs the best left sided attacking midfielder in Europe at the time, and the reason this hurts is not only did we sell him to them, on meeting him years later him saying he was a Liverpool fan as a kid.

Mind you, we had fairly decent side without him.

Remember Everton beating Rapid Vienna in the cup winners cup final in 1985. Absolutely fucking boss left foot rocket from Kevin Sheedy, who was probs the best left sided attacking midfielder in Europe at the time, and the reason this hurts is not only did we sell him to them, on meeting him years later him saying he was a Liverpool fan as a kid.

Mind you, we had fairly decent side without him.
Shades of Italia 90. Some strike that was!

——————Alisson——————
———-Matip———-Quansah——
Gomez———Endo———-Tsimikas
Salah———-Nunez————-Diaz
You'd risk our best front 3 for this? You crazy bird.

Why no Doak?

You'd risk our best front 3 for this? You crazy bird.

Why no Doak?

Why have 5 top-class forwards if you’re not going to use them? They need minutes to work on cohesion and improve confidence; Darwin in particular needs to find the scoring touch again to prove Newcastle wasn’t a fluke.

Doak’s time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom