• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LFC Loan Watch - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
[article]Blackburn Rovers boss Jon Dahl Tomasson is delighted with the form of Tyler Morton.

The midfielder is on a season-long loan from Liverpool.

Often playing in the deeper midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1 formation, Morton's tough-tackling and range of passing have caught the eye. In 33 appearances across all competitions, Morton has made 1.5 tackles per game and 1.3 key passes per game.

“You can see he's been in a good school, the Liverpool school, the Jurgen Klopp school – you can see that," Tomasson said .

“He is enjoying life here at Rovers, I like to see the boy because he's getting important".[/article]

Morton apparently playing well as Blackburn lead Leicester 1-0 with game entering HT.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Wasn't Morton benched for a period after starting the season really well?

My mate supports Blackburn and said Morton is decent but doesn't appear to have the same standout quality Elliot had.

I guess Morton plays in a less glamorous role but nevertheless, he doesn't look ready to come back and start for Liverpool.

He's best staying on loan for another year.

Joey Barton raves about Liverpool and Aston Villa prospects after shining for Bristol Rovers

[article]
It is not unusual for loan players to fill big roles in Joey Barton's Bristol Rovers, but the Gas manager is convinced of the "enormous potential" of the latest pair to shine in the blue and white quarters.

January signings Jarell Quansah and Lamare Bogarde, highly rated prospects at Liverpool and Aston Villa respectively, endured a chastening introduction to life with Rovers, joining a team out of form and low on confidence, but they have impressed in the face of adversity.

Centre-back Quansah, aged 20, has caught the eye in the heart of an improving defence that has kept three clean sheets in the past four games
, while 19-year-old Dutchman Bogarde has shown he can handle himself in the midfield battle with a blend of elegance and steel.

For Quansah – who had to wait six games for his first victory in senior football – the challenge at Rovers has been particularly tough. He debuted in a disastrous 5-1 defeat at Morecambe, yet somehow managed to acquit himself well amid chaos unfolding around him, and aside from giving away a penalty in the defeat to MK Dons last month, the only real criticism of his game is the lack of goals given the chances that have come his way in the opposition penalty area, particularly in Saturday's 0-0 draw with Barnsley at the Mem.

Barton believes the scoring touch will come, but he is delighted to have the England youth international in his team regardless.

"You know his quality," Barton said. If you’re training with Mohamed Salah and Virgil Van Dijk, you’re in that elite environment, via osmosis you are going to get better.

"They think a lot of him, Liverpool and Jurgen Klopp, and they tend to be a good judge of a player and a good judge of character, so we are really thankful that they have trusted us with his development.

"Since he came in, his debut was the Morecambe game and even in that game he showed really flashes of his quality and I think everybody who has watched five or six games of Jarell have realised what a good player he is.

"I do think having Lewis Gibson on the inside of you and James Belshaw behind you is a nice lot of communication and experience to have around you, but regardless of who he has played with or behind, his performances have been such a high level.

"He is definitely a top player in the making and we are really pleased to have him at the football club."

Bogarde, who arrived within minutes of the January transfer deadline, has started the past four games for the Gas, playing slightly different midfield roles. In the win at Oxford United in late February, he was tasked with getting from box to box and he won the crucial penalty to take the lead en route to ending a seven-game winless run.

He backed that up with a more defensively-focused showing against Barnsley on Saturday, stoking roars from the terraces with some meaty challenges as well as moving the ball crisply and efficiently.

"He’s quality, isn’t he?" Barton said after Saturday's stalemate with Barnsley. "You can see his composure and he is young in terms of years on the clock, but he is very mature and he passes the ball correctly.

"The one thing that is labelled at this technical, certainly foreign player us they don’t dig in and have a bite. For me, if you watch Lamare he does a bit of everything.

"He is another young player, but another with enormous potential."
[/article]

[article]Tyler Morton is targeting Wembley with Blackburn Rovers after revelling in a magical night at Leicester City.

The 19-year-old midfielder was recalled to the side against the Foxes and contributed to a memorable FA Cup upset for Rovers. Morton has experienced this cup competition after playing for Liverpool in their winning run in 2022.

Morton is hoping for more experiences like that and wants to use Tuesday night's win as a springboard for future success. With Rovers fourth in the Championship, promotion remains their main aim but a trip to Wembley would be special too.

“I thought it was fantastic from the start, I was really proud of the team and to be a part of it," Morton said. “I was buzzing with the team’s performance, I thought we got stuck in from minute one.

“The pressing was fantastic, the manager has brought that into us and brought a massive amount of confidence and I think it showed. We shined and in front of goal we had a lot of chances and on another day we go even more in front.

“The manager has brought so much confidence into the team, particularly pressing-wise, and we don’t want to come in and feel like the underdogs, we don’t want to sit in we want to go out and press, work hard and I think that’s what we did.

“It would mean the world, not only for us but the supporters," he added. “You could see how much that meant to them so getting to Wembley would be brilliant, you can’t take that away from us if we do.

“But we’ve still got a long way to go, massive games in the Championship to come and that’s our main aim, what we’re focused on, and that’s what we will have in consideration. We’ll rest up and get ready to go again.”

Morton has watched Rovers' evolution in 2023 and believes the team have started to click. He heaped praise on Tomasson for his philosophy which paid dividends against Leicester.

“I think there’s no better person to listen to about that than the manager," he told Lancs Live. “He’s come in, he’s changed the style of play, he’s changed everything.

“He knew it would take time, maybe thought it would take even longer, but the performance showed what he’s brought in is starting to gel.

“I think it showed everyone watching that we’re more than we were last season, he’s brought in a different intensity and it showed. I thought it was really good.”[/article]

Untitled.jpg

[article]On loan Liverpool youngster Tyler Morton admits he is frustrated at Blackburn Rovers.

The midfielder was hoping to play a leading role for the Championship club, who are managed by Jon Dahl Tomasson.

However, the playoff chasing team are not using Morton as much as he or Liverpool would have expected.

Speaking to Lancashire LIVE, Morton said: “The manager has been brilliant, speaks to me a lot and I have to expect it. I'm still learning, I'm getting better week in, week out.

“It's going to happen, I know that, I understand I'm not going to play every game and I'm young and coming into it, but my main aim is to play as many [games] as I can and win as many as I can and hopefully I carry on doing that.

“I need to learn, become a professional which I am doing. I've been frustrated, if you're not frustrated then you shouldn't be a footballer, but I feel like I've dealt with it brilliantly and felt like I took my chance.

“It's football, it's going to happen, you're going to have ups and downs and it's how you take it. I think it takes a lot for you to not be in the squad and then be thrown in. It's not easy to be told you're not playing and as players we all know from first-hand experience. I think everyone has dealt with it perfectly."[/article]

I have heard that he has also played left back at times quite well so that’s another possibility if true. Can definitely see him being in that group of youngsters that get first team time in pre season before Klopp makes his decision.

Pre-assist cross @ 1:46

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co....stello-tyler-mortons-blackburn-rovers-moment/

[article]Tyler Morton has come in for criticism, his place called into such question to the extent that his selection has become one of the biggest talking points surrounding the starting XI when it is named.

There was a moment before kick-off, when the rest of the players had made their way down the tunnel, that Morton spent time with Damien Johnson who handed out instructions, and several pats on the back, before the loanee joined the rest of his team-mates in the dressing room.

Morton will have felt the criticism one way or the other, and it was clear from his body language that he was psyching himself up as best he could.

Questions over whether Morton was the right fit when adding just one player to the current midfield make-up in the summer are for a another argument, while the injury to John Buckley may well have handed him his place back quicker than might otherwise have been, not to mention the failed January pursuit of Lewis O’Brien.

There will always be extra demands of supporters on Premier League loanees, particularly those preferred to the club’s own Academy prospects, and all that combined mean a lot is being asked of him when he too is still early in his own development.

There can be a subconscious bias that comes into the thought process however when judging a players’ performance, the mistakes and misplaced passes sticking in the mind, while the positives overlooked.

What isn’t under question is the trust he has from Jon Dahl Tomasson to the extent that the build-up play filtered through him, while he is a regular on set pieces, and given the main responsibility to get the team playing.

He had a hand in both of Rovers’ goals, a precise pass in the lead-up to the opener, and an excellent cross helped create the equaliser.

Morton created four chances across the game, made 17 passes into the final third, and completed 80 of his 88 attempted passes,
and like Wharton seemed to benefit from the extra man in the middle of the park, as well as the lack of pressure placed on him by the Terriers.
[/article]

Last edited:

[article]Northern Ireland goalkeeper Bayleigh Peacock-Farrell lauded Bradley and tipped him for greatness during the recent March internationals. “Every time I see Conor play he gets better and better and he looks so assured even at international level,” he said.

"Him bombing up and down and having that composure at his age is really good to see and I’m excited to see where he ends up next year.

"I feel like Liverpool give their players chances. This season he’s obviously got his game time elsewhere, and then I think there’s no limit to a young player of his ability."
[/article]

Follow up the silverware win with a winning goal away to Exeter City

Build up to the goal beginning from 0:20

Last edited:

[article]Jarell Quansah’s red card will provide a learning lesson for the Bristol Rovers loanee admits manager Joey Barton.

The Liverpool loanee was sent off in injury time of the Gas’ 2-0 defeat to Portsmouth almost three weeks ago, and will now miss games against Charlton, Fleetwood and Derby.

Quansah has impressed in Bristol since his deadline day loan signing in January, however now misses out on three of his side’s nine final games
, a mistake that his manager says he will learn from.

“As it is he has to miss a couple of games for his reaction,” Barton said. It’s disappointing but also that’s why Liverpool send him here. To learn those lessons so he doesn’t do that in a Champions League semi final or a deciding fixture for them when the going gets tough and the trophies are handed out when he gets to the big time.”

With the international break coming in the 20 day break since the Gas’ last game, Quansah was called up to Ian Foster’s England Under-20’s side - appearing in all three of their fixtures and scoring against USA in Marbella.

He said: “He’s been a great player, but it’s another man’s opportunity. Jarell’s been excellent since he’s come in, he’s gone away with England and done well with them, got a goal and he’s come back and it looks like he’s figured out how to head the ball - he would probably be our top scorer if he’d had known that before.”[/article]

Incident leading to sent off @1:33

[article]Leighton Clarkson wants to leave Aberdeen with a farewell gift of European football before he returns to Liverpool.

The loanee midfielder has been a big player as Barry Robson’s side returned to third place in the Premiership at the weekend. It capped some turnaround for the Dons, who at one point had been trailing Hearts by more than 10 points in the fight to be best of the rest.

Yes the Dons themselves had been in the driving seat until the end of December but the turnaround since Robson replaced Jim Goodwin has been truly remarkable. He has now led them to five wins on the bounce
and, as it stands, it would take a brave individual to back against them from finishing in third spot. Clarkson knows how Aberdeen’s history is built on European success and how important it is to get the club back into that arena.

The fact is that third place could guarantee Europa League football and potentially European football until Christmas, if Rangers or Celtic win the Scottish Cup.

Clarkson, when asked about Europe, admitted: “It would mean a lot. The fans have welcomed us since the day we got here. I know they are all footballing people and it hasn’t been that great over the last couple of seasons.

“To give them something back, I really want to do that for them. It is something we’ve embraced and are really happy with the way it is going. There are still seven cup finals for us. Our only focus is Ross County on Friday, which we know will be a really tough game.

“It could be a special end to the season but we are just looking at Ross County and making sure we do the business there and then we can look at the game after then.”

It is not the first time there has been chatter of third place at Aberdeen. They were third going into the World Cup break before they collapsed under Goodwin. Clarkson insisted that even at their lowest point he still felt they could get back there.

Clarkson boldly insisted: “Yes, to be honest with you. We were down as a team. We can’t put our finger on why it was but that can happen in football. Barry has come in with new ideas and we have started quite well. Things seems to be clicking. We are getting the wins which is the most important thing at this stage. It has got us where we are just now.”
[/article]

Pre-assist @1:37

[article]Almost five months on from his last outing, Liverpool youngster Marcelo Pitaluga made his return for title-winning Macclesfield in a star showing.

Pitaluga spent three months on the sidelines with ankle ligament damage suffered on loan with Macclesfield, with his comeback instead enjoyed at Liverpool.

Four outings for the Liverpool under-21s and a regular presence with the first team on matchdays suggested the young Brazilian goalkeeper had cut ties with his non-league hosts.

But Saturday brought a surprise return for Pitaluga at Macclesfield, days after they secured their status as Northern Premier League Division One West champions.

The title-winners took on City of Liverpool FC in the 35th game of the league campaign, 138 days after he was sidelined in the 2-1 defeat to Runcorn Linnets in November.

And the 20-year-old produced an outstanding performance as Macclesfield thrashed their Merseyside opponents 5-0, including a Nicky Maynard hat-trick.

Pitaluga played the full 90 minutes and kept his 12th clean sheet in 24 games this season, having conceded only 17 goals in that time.

There were a number of important saves, including to deny substitute Danny Mitchley twice in the space of three second-half minutes.

It remains to be seen whether Pitaluga will play again for Macclesfield this season, with only two fixtures remaining, having been left out of their squad to play Hanley Town on Monday.

Saturday brings the visit of Prescot Cables before the campaign closer away to Mossley on April 22.

The youngster will likely divide his time between Macclesfield and Liverpool in the coming weeks, with four more games left for the U21s.

That includes the mini-Merseyside derby on Saturday, before meetings with West Ham (April 22), Fulham (April 30) and Crysal Palace (May 6).

Liverpool are expected to field more high-profile loan interest in Pitaluga this summer, while there were rumours of permanent offers from AC Milan and Atletico Madrid.

He could, however, be promoted to the first-team setup under Jurgen Klopp, with Caoimhin Kelleher and Adrian both potentially on the way out this summer.

Harvey Davies is another alternative to step up from the academy, while The Athletic‘s James Pearce suggested on Sunday that Adrian “may sign another short extension.”[/article]

[article]Watford ran the rule over Kilmarnock loanee Luke Chambers against Celtic, writes Scott Burns.

Hornets technical director Ben Manga travelled north to watch the full back.

Chambers has impressed since he moved north from Liverpool in January.

Killie had a difficult afternoon as they crashed 4-1 to the Hoops.

Chambers has an impressive pedigree as he was part of England’s under-19 squad that won the European Championship last year.

Watford are looking to rebuild as they look unlikely to make the playoffs for the Premier League.[/article]

Build up to assist and goal around 0:44

Last edited:
7 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses in 10 matches for Aberdeen since Barry Robson took charge. 4 assists, 2 goals in 9 appearances for Clarkson during this spell.

Tyler Morton out for the season at Blackburn, having fractured his foot on Saturday (and played on for most of the rest of the match). When I've watched Blackburn this season the kid who has impressed me is Adam Wharton, only 19, I think, and needs to bulk up a bit, but he has a lovely touch, distributes calmly, will take the ball under pressure and looks to move the ball forward when he can. Definitely one to watch.

Tyler Morton out for the season at Blackburn, having fractured his foot on Saturday (and played on for most of the rest of the match). When I've watched Blackburn this season the kid who has impressed me is Adam Wharton, only 19, I think, and needs to bulk up a bit, but he has a lovely touch, distributes calmly, will take the ball under pressure and looks to move the ball forward when he can. Definitely one to watch.

Yeah, he caught my eye too. Definitely not short of suitors.

[article]Ewood Park was bristling with scouts last week as clubs got a closer look at Blackburn Rovers prospect Adam Wharton.

The 18-year-old England U19 midfielder was the stand-out performer in the 1-1 stalemate between the play-off rivals. However, Newcastle United's Dan Ashworth was among over 30 representatives from different clubs to take in the game.

Leeds, Lille and Eintracht Frankfurt also took the chance to watch Coventry's Swedish striker Viktor Gyokeres.
[/article]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom