• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Liverpool: Why do its stars want to leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkmacca

6CM Addict
Liverpool must solve puzzle of why good players find it easy to leave

• 5c1eb1ce-0920-11e4-_732412c.jpg

Analysis Tony Barrett
Last updated at 12:03PM, April 2 2015

There is an elephant in the room at Anfield, a beast of gargantuan proportions that sits in the corner of an increasingly underused trophy room, which everyone ignores in the hope that no one else will notice.

Raheem Sterling is the latest distraction but his most recent antics should bring the problem sharply into focus. For all the attention on the winger’s refusal to commit his future to them, the questions that Liverpool really need to ask themselves are how have they become such an easy club for good players to leave, and how do they stop it from happening again?

Undoubtedly, Sterling’s decision to record a television interview about his ongoing contract wrangle with his employers without Liverpool’s consent or knowledge was at best ill-advised, and at worst downright insubordinate.

It was also a PR own goal that has damaged the very reputation he was endeavouring to salvage. The image of a 20-year-old footballer readily admitting he turned down a deal worth £100,000 per week and claiming his rejection had nothing to do with money after several months of negotiation about that very subject is not an easy one to shake.

Equally, the constant drip feed of negative stories from Sterling’s camp during and after those talks has done little to enhance his standing amongst Liverpool’s support. At a time when the Kop regularly stages protests about prohibitive ticket prices preventing ordinary fans, particularly those of Sterling’s age and younger, from attending games it would have been more advisable had his stand-off with Liverpool been kept as low profile as possible. That Sterling’s form has suffered as the impasse has dragged on is another reason why going in front of the TV cameras was a bad idea.

But what is done is done and Liverpool now have to face up to the growing possibility, if they hadn’t done so already, of losing arguably their best player just 12 months after they lost Luis Suárez, the previous holder of that title. In the first instance, there will be a temptation to make an example of Sterling either by dropping him from the first team or holding him to his contract for long enough to show him – and, more importantly, others – who is in charge.

There is certainly sufficient disquiet caused by Sterling’s admission that he is “quite flatterered” by reported interest from Arsenal for recriminations to follow but whether Liverpool are in a strong enough position to hit back is open to question.

In the first instance, they have a place in the Barclays Premier League top four to pursue, a challenge that could be undermined fatally should they lose to Arsenal, of all teams, on Saturday. That has to be the priority and that means Sterling has to play against the very club who make him feel flattered, no matter how much that might stick in the craw of everyone at Liverpool. Arsenal fans will be salivating at that prospect and rightly so; not only can their team inflict significant damage on a rival, they have the opportunity to rub it in.

Yet for all the criticism, much of it deserved, that has come Sterling’s way for the way his contract situation has been handled, Liverpool need to rise above an emotional reaction and consider why this keeps on happening to them. Why it is that over the past seven years a brain drain has taken place that has seen Xabi Alonso, Fernando Torres, Javier Mascherano, Suárez and now possibly Sterling depart. And why a club who pride themselves on being a member of the elite struggle to assert themselves when it comes to keeping and signing elite players.

In the past three years, Liverpool have tried and failed to sign Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Diego Costa, Willian and Alexis Sánchez with each near miss prompting hard-luck stories of what might have been. Whether the stumbling block was money, trophies or location, they have been unable to get such deals over the line and that has served only to heighten the need for their other transfers to be a resounding success and for them to retain the services of their best players. In both respects, they are finding it difficult to deliver. Selling Sterling, therefore, should be an absolute worst-case scenario that should only be considered if it becomes clear there is nothing within reason that can be done to keep him.

Selling Sterling, even for a fee in the region of £50 million, is all well and good but when reinvesting the proceeds is so fraught with difficulty, as their flawed attempts to replace Suárez shows, then what is the point? When one considers that the overall package that brought Adam Lallana to Anfield cost in excess of £40 million for fee and wages, then it becomes even more difficult to justify any ideas of cashing in on Sterling, particularly if Liverpool are exiled from the Champions League for the sixth season out of the last seven and their desirability is dented once more.

Those pushing for Sterling to be sold point to the fact that in their heyday, Liverpool coped with the loss of far superior players - and that is true. This, though, is a very different Liverpool. They are a club that find themselves battling to re-establish themselves in the elite but who reside among the also-rans. Since 2006 they have won only one trophy, the Carling Cup in 2012, and that gives players such as Sterling the opportunity to put forward an exit strategy built around a desire for success whilst offering players of similar or greater stature a reason to turn their noses up at Liverpool’s advances.

There is no question that Liverpool have every right to be angry at Sterling and his advisers for the way they are conducting themselves but if there is one positive that they should take from the whole sorry saga, it is that it has offered them another reality check that they must take heed of. It is all well and good for a club owned by a hedge fund to point the finger at an individual’s alleged financial greed in an industry that actively promotes it but Liverpool need to correct the weaknesses that continue to leave them vulnerable to personal ambition when there was a time when they benefited from it.

Regardless of what happens to Sterling, they cannot afford to ignore the elephant any longer and if that means ripping up their existing transfer strategy and offering the kind of wages that Fenway Sports Group would prefer to avoid, then so be it. The reality is that it is impossible to build a club around promising young players if those promising young players believe they can be better rewarded, in terms of both salary and success, elsewhere.

I think that's a pertinent contribution from Barrett. It's something that's bothered me for a while, although, as I don't pay that much attention to what goes on at other clubs these days, I'm not sure how different it is, in degree, between them and us when it comes to its stars. Rooney, obviously, was a problem for the mancs, but they were winning stuff regularly, while the Gooners seem to have lost a few in recent years, so maybe it's more common than it seems to me as someone fixated on Anfield. But it's certainly the case that as soon as we find a new star the rumours begin that's he's going to leave. I guess there's only one reliable way to change things - you win trophies - but we have to work on this issue now. It's a drain on morale and it keeps wrecking our momentum.

There's ample evidence on this website alone that many have been saying that the problem is wages for years and years. If you want to get and retain the very best then you have to pay the going rate or prepare to be very, very patient with a strategy of finding and nurturing young talent (and even that is now being undermined) and paying PL average wages. It's a strategy (Moneyball et al), but it going to take some cosmic alignment to achieve elite competition wins.

As regards the Rooney example, didn't they eventually stuff his mouth with Gold? I recall they upped his money to 300k a week or some madness. It's a big money, big risk business and a few Yanks dabbling in the business and trying to bring their idea of sanity to it doesn't look to be working.

They may get us there after a fashion with slicker marketing and an improved stadium etc but I think things will get worse before they get better.

Chelsea and Citeh have come out of nowhere simply because cash is king, surely that can't be lost on the other clubs directors?

I think it's more than wages. Sturridge, after all, is on about £150 grand already. The top players want Champions League (I'm not sure they really understand why, because most of the clubs who play in it struggle, the games are dire, and they end up soon enough, like we did this year, in the Europa League - I suspect in their tiny minds they think of the glamorous semi finals and final and that's what they want, rather than an annual series of instantly forgettable games like Arsenal experience). Their agents no doubt also tell them how that level of profile will allow them to do such lucrative things as filming ads with Messi and co for crap airlines and god knows what else. Actual improvement as a player probably figures beneath such things when these shallow characters listen to their agents. A club just HAS to win things to keep its best stars. Then it also has to monitor them carefully, and be quick to intervene, discreetly, when the next phase of tapping up starts, because it'll always be there.

But the problem specific to LFC, I think, is that there's a serious failure to communicate quickly and effectively enough with its stars, and it's been going on since Parry's day. Remember, this is a club that somehow managed to alienate its own, home-grown, LFC-mad star - after he'd just lifted the Champions League. That's how bad it's been in the last couple of decades. The message that sent out is that even if the club delivers trophies, and pays well, it still has the ability to feck off its talent. That really does need serious analysis within the club, because it causes more problems than we ought to be facing.

You can add the fact that both Sterling and Gerrard said they would have signed new contracts had they been offered last season rather than this season.

It's a good article, although I do think it's harsh to use Suarez as an example. He had progressed into one of the best players in the planet and I've go no players leaving in those circumstances. Sterling, though, is completely different and I feel it's a deal we need to get over the line, learn, and move on from. I don't think a move for him, or us, would be beneficial right now.

I think he's a fool to move this summer but he's made his bed With that BBC interview.

Players are like any other human being too. They have feelings and ambitions. They want a sense of belonging matched with a realistic chance of winning titles. Yes, there's no denying that many play for money but I think for that core of elite players - they play for more. When money is a given for them, what they strive for next is personal ambition and winning, be it accolades or trophies. They want the prestige, the honour and the adulation. Mention the name Real Madrid. Most players would have dreamt of playing on such a stage, as kids.

Liverpool have that name, that history that oftentimes, is leaned on to lure many but that prestige and pizzazz have been wearing off for years now. I think it's down to various factors - the crumbling of the Moores empire and ushering of the billionaire owners club, the turmoil of the G&H era, the rebuilding process of the current regime, the domino effect of globalization and the Bosman ruling, and of course, not to mention, the painful knowledge of not winning the title in 2 decades.

I'm talking about the elite players, not the mediocre ones. They comprise of stars in the making or already stars themselves. These so called elite players are harder to keep when you consider the economic and competitive challenges that other richer clubs pose. And when you add in the fact all the chopping and changing, the rebuilding that have taken place throughout the last decade or so, all these play into the minds of the 'elite' players - especially in terms of continuation, longevity and sustainability. Gone are those days when loyalty and gratitude were important decision-making factors.

I think this brain drain problem happens to every big club today. Happens to even Real and Barca. I don't think there's a permanent solution to this. But you can surely mitigate it. One way is to have longevity and a continuation framework. Players play for managers they believe in, who can not only help develop them into better ones, but also help them achieve their personal ambitions.

I like what Brendan has been doing so far. He's a visionary, very goal-oriented, do-er and also builds for long-term. He's also realistic, which is important. Which is why i hope the owners and the fans stick with him and let him re-lay the foundations of his vision that he was hired for. That 50 over page dossier of his should be trusted and given time to implement. I think this season has proven that he's adaptable and not stubborn enough to not change, unlike Rafa and GH - weaknesses which eventually caused their downfall. He's quick enough to change, if required, yet without succumbing to fickleness and gullibility.

I don't think there's a definite manual for building successful clubs but we can certainly learn from a few case studies. MU for instance, have been built up to what it is today, for more than 2 decades under one person they were willing to wager and risk all their bets on. Loathe him or not, Ferguson is someone whom you'd reluctantly find hard not to respect. He laid a foundation so strong during his time that when his elite players left, he'd be able to replace them almost effortlessly. And if all else fails, he had the luxury of calling on the youths. I see similarities in what Brendan's doing. It's great he's focusing on the youths and giving them opportunities to shine.

Southampton is another interesting one too. They too spent a lot on youths. They have arguably the best academy in the country, if not one of the best. And they have reaped the fruits of that. But then when they changed management, their manager left too, and cue the 'exodus' of most of their homegrown 'elites'. So star players leaving is very normal and happens even to the lower ranked clubs. How they have bounced back has been impressive and much of it has to do with Koeman, but I still think they are far from being a top 4 club. They don't have the history, prestige and setup that we have to elevate themselves to the next level, which many will tell you is the hardest. Unless of course, you get a billionaire owner like the Saudis and Roman and all ideals are thrown into the bin.

Arsenal's case I find intriguing and baffling. They boast of having the prestige, the history, sustainability, financial strength, and a world-class manager who plays attractive football which for some elites, seem an ideal albeit romanticized preference. Yet, they have not won anything significant for donkey years. And they too have lost many of their elites throughout the years. So why and where have they failed ?

So really, in conclusion, I really don't have a solution more than the next person as I'm just sharing my thoughts in this discussion. Please pardon the brevity. Not easy typing on an iPad :)

Yeah look at Dortmund and Atletico Madrid. Pillaged every year despite winning things. The main factor, as well as winning trophies, is obviously money and who can pay them the most.

Xabi Alonso was in no rush to leave, that one was entirely our own fault. Torres and Mascherano were both fine here until they played for Roy Hodgson. Our bigger problem over those years was getting rid of the mediocrity who hung in there season after season like shit to a shoe.

I think it is unfair trying to point fingers at FSG for the sins of the previous regimes.

We have no right to complain about Alonso. If any club in the previous summer had agreed to give us Villa's valuation of Barry, he would have been out of the door pronto.

Torres and Mascherano left us when we were in the pits. I dont think even Madrid and Barcelona would have been able to hold on to their players if they were playing at the level we were doing then.

The only star player which have left under FSG is Suarez. He behaved like an extraordinary nob head the previous summer and FSG handled it very well.

I think part of the problem is the fact that we tend to make players feel like complete world stars and adore them to the point that the whole footballing world takes notice of them and buys into the hype and clubs like Real and Barca gets interested in them.
This problem stems from the fact that we are top 6-7 in terms of global support yet our football accomplishments aren't living up to that standard, so our good players are feeling like super stars without the accolades & start looking elsewhere.

I think part of the problem is the fact that we tend to make players feel like complete world stars and adore them to the point that the whole footballing world takes notice of them and buys into the hype and clubs like Real and Barca gets interested in them.
This problem stems from the fact that we are top 6-7 in terms of global support yet our football accomplishments aren't living up to that standard, so our good players are feeling like super stars without the accolades & start looking elsewhere.

Very good point. Not just off the pitch but on the pitch also. Look at Torres. The entire team was geared towards helping him score. Same with Suarez, Rodgers made a bold move by sending Carroll out on loan so that the rest of the team can develop around Suarez. In a way that artificially inflates their level.

Torres left after he'd helped us get in the pits.

Well, I would say G&H, Purslow had more to do. Not excusing Torres though. I cannot tolerate anyone earning a decent salary ( let alone 100 K plus) mopping around like him.

we've lost our best players to barca and madrid - everyone does. end of story.

torres to chavs was a blessing in disguise.

bit of a non-story really.

1. Money
2. Achievement (== Trophies)
3. Location

Same in every business. I've just moved back to my 'old' company for a decent pay rise and a jump in grade. Not quite football salaries but it can be equated. We want cash, we want to be associated with success, we want to be appreciated and we want to be where we think suits us best.

It won't be that long before I'll be in Cyprus/Portugal/[insert place that is warm and lots of ex-pats live] living off my pension and telling everyone how important I once was.

we've lost our best players to barca and madrid - everyone does. end of story.

torres to chavs was a blessing in disguise.

bit of a non-story really.

So why did Gerrard try to go? It's not remotely a non story. This club has been run in a slap dash fashion for years.

So why did Gerrard try to go? It's not remotely a non story. This club has been run in a slap dash fashion for years.
Did he go? No.

We have lost our best players to Barca and Real. Manure have. Juve have.

Unlike Arsenal we have not sold our players consistently to British clubs.

Torres was a record fee and in hindsight we got him at his peak.

Arsenal tested us with Suarez and we said no. Non-story.

That's an arrogantly complacent opinion when the point is that, unlike other clubs, we've repeatedly bungled contract extensions, and mishandled negotiations for numerous other deals. And Arsenal haven't 'consistently' sold their players to other British clubs, a wild exaggeration that befits one of these 'white is black' gainsayings on quiet days on here.

That's an arrogantly complacent opinion when the point is that, unlike other clubs, we've repeatedly bungled contract extensions, and mishandled negotiations for numerous other deals. And Arsenal haven't 'consistently' sold their players to other British clubs, a wild exaggeration that befits one of these 'white is black' gainsayings on quiet days on here.

You're falling for the usual anti-lfc media bias.

Let's look at the facts: Arsenal have sold the following:
Van Persie, Clichy, Toure, Nasri to name a few to British clubs.

Who have we sold to British clubs who can claim to have his peak ahead of him or is at the peak of his powers:
Torres. No one else.

Yes we have sold players to Barca and Real - everyone does. This does not make us any weaker. Indeed we told Arsenal to F off.

We need to stop letting the media scaremonger us.

Arsenal sold when the money was right

That's not bad considering their consistency

It's a culmination of everything: wages, location, silverware, Champions League football, glamour. We're a working class club and at the minute, without a big enough stadium to generate more revenue, we're lacking the draw that other clubs have.

Which makes it even more important to build long-term. We don't have the financial advantage of the megaclubs so we need to be streetwise about things. Enough of the chopping and changing and 3-year cyclic plans. Each time we change managers, we change the entire regime as well. All very costly exercises, when if you think about it, all those money could be reinvested back into the club in far more useful ways. Buy a world class player for eg.

I've seen enough in Brendan to wager all my bets on him to lead us to that elusive title. We need to be patient and give him time and our full support, even if it means going through a few bumps ahead.

Arsenal sold when the money was right

That's not bad considering their consistency

I think I would take our yo yoing of the last 10 years than their consistency over the same time.

Arsenal are still boring.

There's three things footballers seem to give a shit about - money, success and location. But success can be bought and money can compensate for a non ideal location.

There's the odd rare situation like Sanchez or local guys who really want to play at a certain club or location.

It's a culmination of everything: wages, location, silverware, Champions League football, glamour. We're a working class club and at the minute, without a big enough stadium to generate more revenue, we're lacking the draw that other clubs have.

Are you sure?

We're one of the most successful clubs in the world, who have broken national transfer records and spent enormously. Our roots may be working class (like most clubs) but we're more Feudal than working class (a king without a realm - sort of).

Are you sure?

We're one of the most successful clubs in the world, who have broken national transfer records and spent enormously. Our roots may be working class (like most clubs) but we're more Feudal than working class (a king without a realm - sort of).

We're more like the Starks - every time it looks like might get our hands near the iron throne - somebody important gets knocked off - and we're left hoping the next batch of kids make it.

We're more like the Starks - every time it looks like might get our hands near the iron throne - somebody important gets knocked off - and we're left hoping the next batch of kids make it.
And those rich bastards down south are currently fucking us over.

The 'non story' continues in The Times today. I guess the 'doing nothing' policy isn't the only option after all:

For five years, between 2008 and 2013, Arsenal was a good place to be from. Cesc Fàbregas, Nasri and Van Persie left, all of them claiming that they were doing so not for financial gain but for personal growth. At some point, Wenger managed to halt that talent drain. He turned Arsenal from the sort of club that a player such as Sterling would want to leave into one he would want to join.

That is precisely the challenge that Rodgers faces at Anfield. He has already lost Luis Suárez — like Fàbregas, tempted away as much by the heart as the brain — and he is on the brink of losing Sterling.

He must try to do what Wenger has done: turn Liverpool from prey into predator, and quickly, if he is to prevent what ranks as a drip becoming a flood.

John W Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, has always cited Arsenal as the club he most admires in the Barclays Premier League, one errant tweet aside. He values their sustainability, their commercial model, their prudence. There is much more, though, that they can teach him and Rodgers about how to turn a club from an origin to a destination.

Rodgers and Henry must learn, for one, to strike while the iron is hot. “We were in October 2010 and the manager asked me whether I wanted to stay at Arsenal,” Nasri recalled. “I said, ‘yes, I want to stay.’ We waited, we waited, we waited. We got to June [2011]. I had only one year left on my contract.”

Arsenal, in other words, made the same error with Nasri as Liverpool made with Sterling: they could have signed him up to a deal earlier and cheaper but dallied. As his form picked up, so did his market value. By the time Arsenal were ready, Nasri had brighter things on his horizon. It is not always about money; often, it is about timing.

Rodgers can also take heart from the words, this week, of Maurizio Zamparini, the bombastic president of Palermo.

Zamparini is busy trying to stoke an auction for Paulo Dybala, his Argentinian striker, one that Wenger insists he has no interest in. “If he goes to England, his first choice would be Arsenal,” Zamparini said, “because of the way Wenger plays football.” It is not always about money; occasionally, it is about style and reputation, too. That is something Liverpool can develop.

That is not to say that the two clubs form a perfect parallel. Arsenal have advantages Liverpool simply cannot offer: the almost permanent place in the Champions League, the brand new stadium, their location.

Wenger was cagey when asked to explain why Alexis Sánchez chose the Emirates over Anfield last summer — “only he can explain to you why he did that, but we are happy to let him make that decision” — but the Frenchman knows well enough what the answer is. The Chile forward and his partner felt that they would be more comfortable in London, home to a sizeable Latin American community, than in the less cosmopolitan north. The upshot is that Arsenal got a player Wenger sees as one of the “top in the Premier League, if you look at efficiency, workrate, fighting spirit” and Liverpool did not. They had all of that, though, in those days when Van Persie and Nasri were engineering their exits, and it did not help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom