• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Loic Remy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then. All I've heard is some reports that he's close to signing it but didn't know it was done.

Edit. I still can't find the news, only reports from Metro etc. Where did you get it from?

It was from a Spanish newspaper. I'll see if I can find it again.

Edit: Benzema extend his contract until 2019 acc to El Confidencial

No Loic for this post

de4h7l.jpg

So do most of our striker links though

I think pretty much all of them are likely to be a bit underwhelming.

We are replacing Suarez's position in the squad and nothing more really. Rodgers has said he won't be signing a direct replacement so he obviously feels that Sturridge is made of tough enough glass to carry the goalscoring burden for the majority of the season, any new striker will merely be support.

Come into here looking for news on Remy and Loic behold it's a bunch of shit puns.

I used to have a few puns on different players but I can't Remy-mber them all now.

I didn't think he could play wide. Yeah he goes wide sometimes to make runs but i wouldn't say he could play anywhere across the attack. His main starting position for Newcastle and QPR was through the middle.

Not sure about Newcastle and QPR, but for France he is mostly playing wide.

I think £8.5M for Remy would be a very good piece of business. This is not a make-or-break signing though, just adding some depth and quality to the attacking line. What I like about Remy is, he has the goal-scoring instinct. In a team of talented, but goal-shy midfielders you always have to have someone who will just put the ball in the net.

I am against Bony, because he strikes me as a player you need to build your team around for him to be effective. He struggled mightily in the first half of season for Swans and was ridiculed by everybody; then the team started playing to his strengths and he repaid them with a shitload of goals. He can be very effective, but as your 1st striker, not as a 3rd.

Kind of similar to Huntelaar or Mario Gomez, I think. Stay clear unless you want him to be your top dog.

I am against Bony, because he strikes me as a player you need to build your team around for him to be effective. He struggled mightily in the first half of season for Swans and was ridiculed by everybody; then the team started playing to his strengths and he repaid them with a shitload of goals. He can be very effective, but as your 1st striker, not as a 3rd.

Kind of similar to Huntelaar or Mario Gomez, I think. Stay clear unless you want him to be your top dog.

Playing to a player's strength isn't the same as building the squad around the player though. FWIW, Bony scored 10 of his 16 league goals after Monk was installed as manager. Interesting because in a blog analysis I've read, Monk was described as having largely reinstated Rodgers' system of play.

Here's an excerpt from the analysis, focusing on Bony. This is about a month into Monk's tenure:

[article]Bony
The difference in the use of Bony has also been huge. He is now involved more in the link up play with the midfield and draws one defender up field with him allowing the box to box midfielder or the attacking midfielder to drift in behind him into the space. A rotation we rarely saw under Laudrup (We saw this with the goals in Napoli and the Crystal Palace game). Bony has been more involved in defending and is constantly closing the defenders and goalkeeper down to put pressure on the opposition. This is part of the pressing game that Monk has reintroduced. Brendan’s ‘six second rule’ played a big part in Swansea’s first season in charge. The players now press the opposition as soon as they are in possession and tackles/fouls are being made much further up the pitch.[/article]

I think whether Bony is the main striker or the 2nd / 3rd striker is not the issue (or less of an issue), compared to his suitability to play under Rodgers. From what has been described, it would seem the system of play reintroduced by Monk doesn't hurt him but rather enhances his performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom