• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Madrid Away Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
TAA has the hardest job of any full back in the league. He doesn’t just stand next to his centre half and get forward if the opportunity comes along. He doesn’t support the attack, he is the attack on our right.

I’m not going to argue that he’s the best defender but he’s good enough for a team that wants to be challenging and winning things.

You're arguing points that I didn't bring up, mate.

I said that he's a terrible defender and an outstanding attacker. You're actually agreeing with me.

Of course he's good enough for a great team, IF they have the system to cover up his defensive shortcomings. For 2 years, we have. This year, we don't. Fingers crossed, next year, we will again.

And by the way, in normal years, he has the easiest job of any fullback in the league, not the hardest... VVD covering for him at the back, Hendo and Fabinho helping him out in the middle, and concentrating mainly on bombing forward, getting the ball in to some of the greatest attackers in the game. Nice work if you can get it...

In fairness our expectations were probably way to high for the reality of the situation.

Madrid are a couple of points off top in the La Liga so for all this talk of them being in serious trouble they are obviously still a very hand side with some super stars in their side. Technicality superb and some wonderful passers of the ball who taught us a few lessons in ball retention.

On the flip side, we are 25 points behind City, have been hot and cold for months and our stars aren’t exactly in a rich vein of form.

The good news is we are only 2 goals down and got an away goal. We probably can’t play much worse than that while Real played as good as they could.
Sure it’s a big task but we’ve turned around biggest scorelines against better sides.

Get Jones, Milner and Firmino into the side next week and bring Jota off the bench in the second half and we can turn this pricks over.

I'd agree if there were gonna be 55,000 loonies in there

Yep.

Full Anfield, and I'm relatively confident. Empty Anfield is just another pitch. Even those bitter blue cunts across Stanley Park can win at empty Anfield.

You're arguing points that I didn't bring up, mate.

I said that he's a terrible defender and an outstanding attacker. You're actually agreeing with me.

Of course he's good enough for a great team, IF they have the system to cover up his defensive shortcomings. For 2 years, we have. This year, we don't. Fingers crossed, next year, we will again.

And by the way, in normal years, he has the easiest job of any fullback in the league, not the hardest... VVD covering for him at the back, Hendo and Fabinho helping him out in the middle, and concentrating mainly on bombing forward, getting the ball in to some of the greatest attackers in the game. Nice work if you can get it...

In normal years, no full back in the league can do his job.

The commentators were annoying the hell out of me at the start of the game talking about their makeshift backline. Nacho is a very good senior defender with international experience whilst Militao is a 40M defender, also good - potentially excellent.

There is no comparison between their "problems" and ours.

The commentators were annoying the hell out of me at the start of the game talking about their makeshift backline. Nacho is a very good senior defender with international experience whilst Militao is a 40M defender, also good - potentially excellent.

There is no comparison between their "problems" and ours.
I wish to fuck they would have all shut the fuck up. All of them were so up Madrids backside it made me so angry. It was a disgrace overall the way we played against them, I think they Madrid are an absolute shit team and no way we should have lost against them in that first half against a team full of 30pluses in midfield. We are supposed to be the motherfucking king pressers and that first half just reminded me of that game against Aston Villa.

Under normal circumstances 3-1 would be a bad result but we were so comically inept tonight that it actually flattered us. Madrid should have buried the tie in 90 mins. Our entire defence, goalkeeper and defensive midfielder had their pants pulled down repeatedly. Too many poor players, too many half arsed performances, poor planning and in game decisions from Klopp.

If we score first next week we can make a game out of it but fucking hell Klopp needs to pull his head out of his arse between now and next Wednesday. That was atrocious.

In normal years, no full back in the league can do his job.

Jesus Christ, mate... Is he your brother?

Several fullbacks could play RB for us, under normal circumstances. James Milner could do it, if needed, for goodness sake. None would be better than he going forward and few would be worse than he defending. You've already acknowledged my point here - I don't understand why you keep pushing back.

If you're trying to say that our attack would suffer without him, under normal circumstances, then you're absolutely spot on. It would. But, once again, that's not my point.

Well that was frustrating. A depressing combination of naivety, individual errors and a strange initial timidity.

A few points:

Our midfield lacked energy. Naby was rightfully hooked but I’d have potentially brought Jones in to add some pep and bite, not the ageing Thiago.

Gini - again looked like he’s running in treacle half the time. I’d be very wary of giving him a three year deal right now when he looks in decline.

Neither cb looked entirely at ease but Phillips in particular was positionally unsound at times and lacked the natural pace to recover. He looked exposed to me.

Trents header mistake was awful at this level for someone with his experience.

Robbo’s attacking contribution continues to be zero and with Mané woefully out of form, our left side is somewhat impotent.

Alisson should have saved the third. That would have made a huge difference to the tie.

I wonder what difference Bobby might have made in the first half to our press on Kroos? I’d go 4231 second leg with Firmino up against their deep midfield.

Yes. And..?

He was a brutal defender then, and he remains a brutal defender now. The only difference is that then, we swept all before us without him getting fully found out. Now, every bugger knows he can't defend.

His attacking prowess was a huge part of our success these past two seasons.

His defensive ability contributed approx. sweet fuck all towards that same success. And you know it.

It's ludicrous to suggest he is a "brutal" defender and attribute everything on the team doing well and that was why he was doing well.

We have had plenty of big games where it was back to the walls and we had to defend for long periods, which we did, and Trent was a big part of it.

Just re-watch those Citeh games, the big european cup games, games against the big 6, cup finals of the previous 2 seasons before telling me that we were attacking all the time and that was why Trent wasn't exposed. It's ridiculous.

He was a good defender back then, with critical responsibility in a dual hat role in attack and defence. He did his job in both departments, that's why we won as much as we did.

It is fashionable to say he is a bad defender just because the media has been running the stories, I get that. But i expected more from our own fans who had been watching him win us alot of matches for the past 2 seasons.

It's ludicrous to suggest he is a "brutal" defender and attribute everything on the team doing well and that was why he was doing well.

We have had plenty of big games where it was back to the walls and we had to defend for long periods, which we did, and Trent was a big part of it.

Just re-watch those Citeh games, the big european cup games, games against the big 6, cup finals of the previous 2 seasons before telling me that we were attacking all the time and that was why Trent wasn't exposed. It's ridiculous.

He was a good defender back then, with critical responsibility in a dual hat role in attack and defence. He did his job in both departments, that's why we won as much as we did.

It is fashionable to say he is a bad defender just because the media has been running the stories, I get that. But i expected more from our own fans who had been watching him win us alot of matches for the past 2 seasons.

"Fashionable"?!? FFS.

I've been saying he's a poor defender since he broke into the team. Because he is. But by all means, continue to use the lazy argument that it's only because the media - far more of whom proclaim him the best RB in the world than share my viewpoint, by the way - are criticizing him that I say this.

His role in defense has never been 'critical'. He is, by far, the least important of our defenders. He's been covered for by three of our most important players for most of his young career thus far, and that's why he wasn't found out too often, until now. This season, without that cover, and without our high octane pressing game dictating the flow of the match from far further up the field, he's being asked to be a more traditional fullback, and he's just not very good at that.

And what's truly ridiculous, to use your own words, is "our own fans" who refuse to see it, as if it's treasonous to say it out loud. But I'll say it again - Majestic going forward when on form, and a huge part of our success recently. But, simultaneously, an average defender at best and a liability when off form, (like much of this season).

He's Steve Nicol going forward. Maybe even slightly better. Which is fantastic... But he's Jason McAteer at the back. Which isn't.

I was less concerned by Trents awful defensive positioning as thats par for the course, it was the 7 or 8 times he hit a 5 yards pass straight to a Madrid player that concerned me. He was hooked at half time against Southampton for a similar performance. That was wretched stuff, and the covering block he made to deny Madrid when 2 v 1 in the second half doesn't excuse him an otherwise awful game.

Klopp has a decision to make regarding Trent and its got to be made quickly because he's become the target for every team that wants to attack us in open play. He either changes things up to provide him more protection from midfield or he's going to keep getting exposed.

"Fashionable"?!? FFS.

I've been saying he's a poor defender since he broke into the team. Because he is. But by all means, continue to use the lazy argument that it's only because the media - far more of whom proclaim him the best RB in the world than share my viewpoint, by the way - are criticizing him that I say this.

His role in defense has never been 'critical'. He is, by far, the least important of our defenders. He's been covered for by three of our most important players for most of his young career thus far, and that's why he wasn't found out too often, until now. This season, without that cover, and without our high octane pressing game dictating the flow of the match from far further up the field, he's being asked to be a more traditional fullback, and he's just not very good at that.

And what's truly ridiculous, to use your own words, is "our own fans" who refuse to see it, as if it's treasonous to say it out loud. But I'll say it again - Majestic going forward when on form, and a huge part of our success recently. But, simultaneously, an average defender at best and a liability when off form, (like much of this season).

He's Steve Nicol going forward. Maybe even slightly better. Which is fantastic... But he's Jason McAteer at the back. Which isn't.

Lazy argument?

You are the one who isn't even making an argument. You are stating Trent is a "brutal" defender based on nothing.

I put forth 97 points, winning the league, winning the CL, unbeatable for more than half a season, other trophies won, with Trent playing in almost every match. Facts, not opinion.

If you still insist that's all down to the rest of the 3 defenders keeping the score down, then I don't really have anything to add if you can't see how ridiculous that sounds.

I've always thought it's more likely we get 4th place than win the CL. Winning two legged ties in the CL without the power of Anfield is pretty difficult. Anfield IS our secret sauce in Europe, so I can't see it happening.

Yesterday, we played a CL quarter at a bloody training ground that didn't even have stands FFS. What a joke football is in these times.

It’s not fashionable mate, and it shouldn’t really come as a surprise to anyone watching even a handful of games. Trent has massive qualities, but when teams in the lower half of the premiership table consistently focus their attacks on your Right Back regardless of what your own perception of his abilities are, it’s telling you something

Haven't read any of this thread yet - but one thing cost us this game - our press. The front three looked disjointed when pressing (were they interchanging too much?) and the midfield trio got pulled around all over the place. We got out pressed with the ball and were useless at pressing without the ball. Trent's error wouldn't have come with pressing on the passer, neither the first goal.

It's amazing how many rondos we do on youtube videos yet when a team presses us at the start of the match we shit ourselves and can't string together 2 passes.

Its bad, but it deserved to be much worse.

2-0 at Anfield to see us through.

I think that Robbo is a better defender than Trent but the full reason why our right side is targeted more is that it gets much more exposed because Salah doesn't track back to the same extent that Mane does

Hendo and Gomez usually covers for Trent. Several of our players are burnt out, more mentally than physically.

Anyway, this game pissed me off massively. Not the result, but the way it happened.
Our biggest game of the season, and we walk onto the pitch in a daze, like we have been sniffing glue.
Also Klopp, for a manager of his level of experience, to not make sure they are fired up, and to fuck up like this with his selection/tactics, for this game?
An absolute shambles. And I am still pissed off.

I think that Robbo is a better defender than Trent but the full reason why our right side is targeted more is that it gets much more exposed because Salah doesn't track back to the same extent that Mane does
I think that’s absolutely a part of it. It doesn’t 100% cover the long diagonal balls that consistently get launched down our right side, and rarely (if ever) down our left though...

Our right sided centre half is also generally weaker of the two too, which is another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom