• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Madrid Away Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Klopp has made some mad decisions of late and some ridiculous comments too. "It was strange tonight because of the stadium but Anfield is at least a proper stadium - that will be good for us".

Has he seen our recent home form?

Our right sided centre half is also generally weaker of the two too, which is another reason.

Phillips wasn't weaker than Kabak, Kabak was all over the place in the first half, yet I don't remember Robbo getting done too many times, despite him having a jittery centre half on his side.

Trent got no protection, but whoever is on his side at centre half isn't really the issue (although I think a combination of him and Gomez can be hyper naive), he made unforced stupid errors last night and got done one on one on the edge of the box too many times. Last night's issues weren't solely down to getting caught high up the pitch or a nervy right-sided centre back, it was just brainless defending and concentration from Trent.

What was that header meant to be? First day in footy training aged seven, under pressure, never pass it across your own box. He'd have been better leaving it and letting them balls it up.

Love Trent but he had a terrible first half yesterday.

What was that header meant to be? First day in footy training aged seven, under pressure, never pass it across your own box. He'd have been better leaving it and letting them balls it up.

Love Trent but he had a terrible first half yesterday.

That's exactly what I said when it happened, you don't play it across your box, just hoof it or leave it if you're stretching for it and you clearly aren't going to get enough on it. He basically just undid his great display at the weekend, by confirming why people are rightly criticising his defending.

He's not really improved defensively. He's a great player and we need to work something else out with him, because it's repeatedly costing us. Not just individual errors, but teams have identified him as a weak spot and practically every goal-against stems from that side of the pitch. How Klopp hasn't remedied it after all this time is baffling to say the least.

Both Keita and Trent the victims of rascism after the game yesterday.
Some people are mongs.

Both Keita and Trent the victims of rascism after the game yesterday.
Some people are mongs.

What's wrong with people? We have the greatest fans in football apparently, apart from the mass Twitter bellends who call you a black b*stard when you have a shit game.

Phillips wasn't weaker than Kabak, Kabak was all over the place in the first half, yet I don't remember Robbo getting done too many times, despite him having a jittery centre half on his side.

Trent got no protection, but whoever is on his side at centre half isn't really the issue (although I think a combination of him and Gomez can be hyper naive), he made unforced stupid errors last night and got done one on one on the edge of the box too many times. Last night's issues weren't solely down to getting caught high up the pitch or a nervy right-sided centre back, it was just brainless defending and concentration from Trent.

Phillips was definitely the weaker of the two. The first and third goals could both have been prevented with better positional awareness, speed of mind and speed of body by Phillips.

He looked championship class last night.

Kabak looked what he is, a raw young Cb with potential up against a slick enough attack. He wasn’t remotely at fault for any of the goals conceded though.

What's wrong with people? We have the greatest fans in football apparently, apart from the mass Twitter bellends who call you a black b*stard when you have a shit game.
They’re not true fans of anything but their pathetic racist views. Pricks.

They’re both fucking shite and should’ve been hauled off and soundly beaten to death.

If you thought Keita was good take up watching baseball.

Question... Their first goal who would you say was more at fualt TAA or Nat Philips...?

I believe TAA was, because Vin Jnr came from that side of the picth were TAA was covering and he was slow in reacting to Vin's run.
You may see it different. My point being that we all notice different things while watching a match.
You say that Keita was shit. If you were right then how bad did that make Gini in the first half, for at least Keita was noticable in both halfs of the field where as Gini was largely missing in their half

Completely outclassed from start to finish in all aspects of play.

The goal gives a small crumb of opportunity, but if Madrid turn up like that again then it will be meaningless. They look on a different level to us, and without the fans in Anfield, it's hard to realistically see where we can challenge them.

We missed Henderson and Thiago badly, the inexperience our back line was evident, Mane was shit, Alisson should have kept out the third, Zidane wiped the floor with Klopp tactically.

Disappointing.

As much as I rate him, and I feel that he is definately the best attacker at the club, (regardless of salah's goals, he just brings more to the game)
Mane has look a shade of his self this season, and this game; Klopp would have done better to have taken Mane off and kepted Jota on

Completely outclassed from start to finish in all aspects of play.

The goal gives a small crumb of opportunity, but if Madrid turn up like that again then it will be meaningless. They look on a different level to us, and without the fans in Anfield, it's hard to realistically see where we can challenge them.

We missed Henderson and Thiago badly, the inexperience our back line was evident, Mane was shit, Alisson should have kept out the third, Zidane wiped the floor with Klopp tactically.

Disappointing.

It wasn't even particularly brainstorming tactics though was it? The World and it's wife can tell us what our flaws are and how to exploit us (balls over the top, target Trent), it's not rocket science.

Zidane didn't wipe the floor with us tactically, he did what teams have done to us all season and the most frightening thing is that it's astoundingly obvious and Klopp is yet to remedy it, or even look remotely interested in remedying it.

The big differences last night, aside from the aforementioned flaws, were that they just had quality in key areas, that wasn't tactical, they just had better and more experienced players in key areas. The media made loads about their makeshift defense. How much did that defense cost?

Not that we lack experience or winners, but we were certainly lacking something from Henderson, VVD, Thiago and Milner - players who've won it all and players with a bit of class in those sort of games. Mane is horribly off form and everything broke down with him, another difference for them was they had a hungry young player who had bags of quality and confidence. While we have what already look like "has-beens" leading the line for us (Mane, Shaqiri and Bobby anyway).

Klopp has it all to do and I hope he doesn't pin the likes of Mane and Bobby's form on the disruption in the rest of the team, it's clearly more a case of being past their best.

Last edited:
He's not really improved defensively. He's a great player and we need to work something else out with him, because it's repeatedly costing us. Not just individual errors, but teams have identified him as a weak spot and practically every goal-against stems from that side of the pitch. How Klopp hasn't remedied it after all this time is baffling to say the least.

Foe me Trent is not someone like Glen Johnson, who just hopelessly lacked concentration and awareness to ever be a good defender. For all the criticism, there were games, including this season, where Trent’s defending was actually great; where he would be targeted and win his individual battle decisively. But alas he cannot do it consistently (yet?) and that’s always been part of the argument for trying him in midfield.

Foe me Trent is not someone like Glen Johnson, who just hopelessly lacked concentration and awareness to ever be a good defender. For all the criticism, there were games, including this season, where Trent’s defending was actually great; where he would be targeted and win his individual battle decisively. But alas he cannot do it consistently (yet?) and that’s always been part of the argument for trying him in midfield.

As good as you are as a defender there will always be one or two players that will run rings around you, and not for the first time TAA has meet one

We know Klopp prefers to work with players over replacing them but the disconnect between prematch klopp stating Naby has played himself into the side and Klopp on 40 minutes subbing him off makes me think this might be an exception.

We know Keita has it in his locker to be fantastic but what’s the point in keeping him if he can only produce about 3 times a season

Weren’t there rumours that Real were interested in buying Naby in the summer? Perhaps this was an attempt to put him in the shop window or maybe coax a big performance out of the player if he wanted to finally prove his class at the big stage. Both spectacularly backfired, of course.

He did a mazy run last night and I expected the Keita fans to be ramming it down our throats until his next game in 6 months. That's pretty much how you can sum his Liverpool career up so far.

He did a mazy run last night and I expected the Keita fans to be ramming it down our throats until his next game in 6 months. That's pretty much how you can sum his Liverpool career up so far.
Yeah, I thought he was about to come into the game at that point. I really can't see how he comes back from this. He's lost the trust of the manager, despite the public backing, you don't get dragged off for tactical reasons and get replaced with a like for like player.

Yeah, I thought he was about to come into the game at that point. I really can't see how he comes back from this. He's lost the trust of the manager, despite the public backing, you don't get dragged off for tactical reasons and get replaced with a like for like player.

I didn't really get the tactic of playing him anyway. To dribble at them? And what? It was away against Madrid, we should have been looking to maintain possession and take the sting out of them when we needed to. It was all a bit meh. The centre halves reminded us what was great about Gomez/VVD/Matip - they can all pass a ball and play a bit, the midfield were non-influential and the forward line just didn't work.

And Keita got a gob on when he was hauled off, despite the fact he should never have figured in such a big game when not match fit.

I didn't really get the tactic of playing him anyway. To dribble at them? And what? It was away against Madrid, we should have been looking to maintain possession and take the sting out of them when we needed to. It was all a bit meh. The centre halves reminded us what was great about Gomez/VVD/Matip - they can all pass a ball and play a bit, the midfield were non-influential and the forward line just didn't work.

And Keita got a gob on when he was hauled off, despite the fact he should never have figured in such a big game when not match fit

Yes, but that's on the manager. What's Keita going to say when picked? Sorry boss, I don't want to play in the CL Quarter final.

Yes, but that's on the manager. What's Keita going to say when picked? Sorry boss, I don't want to play in the CL Quarter final.

Of course it's on the manager, but he's hardly in a position to protest when coming off, when he's been a poor signing so far and the game was clearly too soon for him. Not that I ever want players to look content coming off. I don't know, it was daft all round. He should never have played, he can have no complaints, but as you say it was on Klopp and he should have just made the change either earlier in the half or at half time. It was a weird time to make the change, it smacked of scapegoating.

The thing is though Klopp said he was pulling up trees in training so he should have been ready.

It reminds me of my uni football team, we had this guy built like Steve Mcmanaman and he was probably the best player I’ve ever played with in training. At the weekend against big Dave the plasterer and his ilk in the amateur leagues he was an empty shirt.

It may have been scapegoating, but it needed to be done, more for the message it sent to the rest of the team. It almost worked too. Then they got the 3rd.

When is Hendo due back, we could use a bit more bite in midfield next week. Really disappointed in Fabinhos performance, a 35 year old Modric ran rings around him. That shit is not acceptable at the highest level.

Lazy argument?

You are the one who isn't even making an argument. You are stating Trent is a "brutal" defender based on nothing.

I put forth 97 points, winning the league, winning the CL, unbeatable for more than half a season, other trophies won, with Trent playing in almost every match. Facts, not opinion.

If you still insist that's all down to the rest of the 3 defenders keeping the score down, then I don't really have anything to add if you can't see how ridiculous that sounds.

"Based on nothing"..? Jesus wept. Based on watching the games, mate.

Bobby played in most of those games too. Does that make him a world class striker..? His goals record would suggest otherwise, as would my eyes, but your logic about simply being part of a dominant team would make him brilliant at everything, by default.

Bobby, when on form, is a crucial part of a well oiled machine. He doesn't score as much as he should, but he makes a lot of chances for others and contributes in other important ways, and criticism of his failings in one aspect of his overall performances are avoided. Just like Trent. Bobby, when off form, or when we're missing players crucial to his effectiveness, often looks like he couldn't score if the goal was 100 yards wide, and people are far more likely to ask "why doesn't he score more?". Just like Trent.

Just being part of a great team doesn't mean that you're automatically brilliant at every part of your game... Djimi Traore won the European Cup, for goodness sake.
And Clayton Blackmore has won the league.

And here's the thing... We all acknowledge that Trent is peerless in his attacking prowess from fullback. Nobody disputes that side of his game. So, if he's got that AND he's the top defender that you claim he is, why was he just dropped from the England squad?

And Keita got a gob on when he was hauled off, despite the fact he should never have figured in such a big game when not match fit.

I think the logic was to use his pressing ability and harass Kroos and Modric, but the whole team was abysmal in this department and our pressing game never got off the ground. Modric and Kroos had all the time in the world, while our players gifted them possession repeatedly in innocuous situations. This is why Klopp said even though Keita was the one who was hooked early, he was far from the only one who deserved it.

I've had a lot going on, and I couldn't watch us lose week after week.

Tuned in yesterday for the first time in a while, and I'm shocked at how bad we've become.

of course we can turn it around, but belief was a big part of Klopp's teams and it's gone for now.

Our defense is just terrible. Not much going forward either. What the hell is going on.

Has Jurgen lost the lads? WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom