• You may have to login or register before you can post and view our exclusive members only forums.
    To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Moores appointed Lancashire coach

SummerOnions

Let's Push Things Forward
Administrator
Lancashire have appointed Peter Moores as head coach - five weeks after he was sacked from the same role with the England team.

Moores, 46, was axed by the England and Wales Cricket Board following a rift with the then captain Kevin Pietersen.

But Lancashire have given him a three-year deal, starting on 1 March.

"I feel very excited and privileged to be given the opportunity to work for the county I grew up supporting," said Moores, who replaces Mike Watkinson.

The position as head coach with Lancashire became available in December when Watkinson was promoted to director of cricket.

"I look forward to meeting the players and working alongside Mike Watkinson to bring success to the club," added Moores.

"Coming from the north west and having attended matches at Old Trafford during my youth, I understand the proud history of the club and how passionate the supporters are.

"If I was to think about any other job to take after leaving England it would have been the Lancashire job, and I can’t wait to get stuck in.â€

Moores has a fine track record in county cricket, having guided Sussex to the first County Championship title in their history in 2003, having won promotion the previous year, a season in which they also finished top of the 40-over National League Division Two.

His achievements with Sussex eventually resulted in him being appointed director of the National Cricket Academy at Loughborough in 2005 before replacing Duncan Fletcher as head coach of England two years later.

His time in charge of the national team began well with a 3-0 home Test series victory over West Indies, but prior to his sacking they were beaten 2-1 at home by South Africa and lost 1-0 in India.

He also failed to improve their fortunes in one-day cricket, with the team winning only 14 of the 36 limited overs internationals played under him.

Despite that, Watkinson said he was "delighted" that Moores would be joining the management team at Old Trafford.

"I have known him for many years, initially as a player, then in his various coaching roles, and he has the quality and experience to take the first team squad forward.

"We share many values and beliefs and I'm looking forward to working closely along side him to further improve the performance of the professional squad."

Lancashire are hoping Moores can produce the same result he achieved with Sussex, namely guiding them to the County Championship.

The Red Rose club has not won the title outright since 1934, although they did finish as joint winners with Surrey in 1950.

"Lancashire is one of the biggest cricket clubs in the world, and success is what our members and supporters demand and long to see," chief executive Jim Cumbes commented.

"We always knew this position would create a lot of interest, but we could not have envisaged the amount of world-class candidates who applied for the role.

"However, Peter's resume speaks for itself and what he achieved with Sussex is the envy of all counties.

"Having been involved in the interview process, I know we have the right man for the job, and under the direction of Mike Watkinson, we now have a structure in place that will take cricket throughout the entire county forward."
------------------------------------
Is this a good appointment for Lancashire?

And is it a good move for Moores considering his recent sacking by England?

Moores did well in county cricket before, as the article says, so it'll depend largely on the personalities involved IMO. The fact that Flintoff conspicuously failed to back Pietersen in the England row certainly won't hurt. On balance I'd say the signs are favourable.

If he could get Anderson to bowl consistently and get the best out of Mahmood, We could go places.

[quote author=SummerOnions link=topic=31258.msg803018#msg803018 date=1234381156]
If he could get Anderson to bowl consistently and get the best out of Mahmood, We could go places.
[/quote]
If he does that they'll both be playing for England, so we'll gain nothing. If he can get Loye to return to form and Chilton to improve on last year then we will be looking up.

Oh, didn't know that.

We're going to be pretty depleted then.

Here's hoping Cross and whatshisface beginning with a 'H' can do a job for us.

Back
Top Bottom